Cushings disease - anyone got a dog with it?

Mel B

Brought her home at lunch time and she is like a little puppy again, she has four days of treatment but, and this supprised me greatly, she also has to take some tablets, 4 tablets, Prednisolone 5mg, at one go every day and one tablet, Endoxana 50mg, every other day, to handle this tablet you have to wear rubber gloves. Now that must be a strong one.

I hope that she copes well and gets her extra year, she has been nothing but trouble since birth, being so nosey and strong willed but so very very very loving

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Mel,

I do feel for you, it's so hard when a faithful and much loved dog gets some of the things Midge has.

A lady on Dogsey (http://www.dogsey.com/) has just had her dog diagnosed with Cushings, as you know it is treatable and she was expecting worse. Seems like Midge has other things as well which just makes it harder to sort out what is causing what doesn't it.

I am going to the Peterborough show and would love to meet Midge the Squidge, is there a meeting point at these events?

Please keep us updated.

Hi Syd

So sorry to hear about Pepsie, I do hope the treatment works and she gets a chance to enjoy her time with you.

As for Midge, I heard back from the vet today, unfortunatley his liver enzimes are higher than they were originally! Absolute r*ddy bummer. Poor little sod can't win. :-(

No treatment for him though as the normal medication is steroids but that's an absolute no-no with his Cushings so we'll just have to see how he gets on. However, we're going to try a high protein diet as apparently that can help a lot and some owners with dogs suffering from the same liver problem say that an egg-yolk a day (cooked) can really help as well. :-S

Burns foods have been in touch and are going to send me some samples to try Midge on so hopefully if we can get him onto that it will help as well. In the meantime he's on chicken and rice but we won't cut out his sausage in a morning as it's the only way we can get his tablets into him and it makes him get out of his 'pit'! :D

Losos, thanks for your thoughts, I'd love you to meet Midge at Peterborough, fingers, paws and everything else crossed that he'll still be with us. We're booked in for the whole show (UK Campsites area) - no one has said if they are meeting anywhere this time, probably a bit too early as yet to say, but it would be nice to get together for a natter.

Hi Mel

Thank you for that

I too am very sorry to hear about Midge, never come across anything like that before. It is so frustrating when there is nothing you can do but throw money at the problem, knowing that all you are doing is prolonging the inevitable, well in our case anyway,but hopefully it wont be so in yours.

Best of luck with your efforts

Oh Mell and Syd, Only just read this thread and feel so sad for you both. I can't give any positive and practical advice but I am sending you both my love and strong thoughts. Big hugs to you both and hoping that matters improve. Joy xx

Update on Midge the Squidge

Well, he's eating well, he likes his rice, chicken and frozen diced veg and really scoffs it down now which is a good thing, this is being supplemented by the Burns food and of course his sausages in a morning! At least he's now eating the food and not trying to pebble-dash me with it!!!! :D

He's pottering about more and is more interested generally in things - when I took him out today after work he had a nice walk in the field, sniffing here and there, listening and looking around much more - the better weather certainly helps I think.B-)

He's got an ear infection again though, poor little s*d, but even with that he's still better than he has been for a while. He's been back to the vets tonight for a check up, she said that we're doing all we can and couldn't do more really. Only extra is if he needs painkillers but at the moment the antibiotics he's on for his lesions etc seem to be helping in that regard too so I don't want to give him more tablets than necessary, keeping them on hold for now - don't want him to get used to them and for them then not to then work as effectively when he really needs them. :-S

Currently trying 2 different types of antibiotic cream, one side has one lot put on, the other side the 2nd lot ... we'll see which one seems to help the most and then just use that one. Must say though that the athlete's foot powder for his feet has worked wonders, they are virtually clear of the 'yeast' infection, with just a little of the 'black' infection every now and then, hence why he can potter much more. Spent 2 hours (not all at once!) cleaning, clipping etc him yesterday and he does seem better for it but it is really tiring especially now he's feeling a bit better as he can't half put up a fight ... wouldn't have it any other way though! :->

• 4 weeks later...

Update on Squidgey Midgey.

Well, it's been ruddy hard work these last few weeks, whilst his feet have improved, his lesions have got worse, he's got them on both sides now and on his neck. He has started to get the creamy sticky stuff on his legs and tummy too, its horrible stuff and is a pain to clean off. He's also got it round his muzzle and eyes but its more solid - this in particular is the worst thing as he just 'peeks' out at us, cleaning his eyes twice a day just about stops them getting worse but no better unfortunately.

On Monday evening at the vets, whilst waiting to take Midge in for a blood test, he objected to being ‘held’ on hubby’s knee and started to have a ‘shout’, he wouldn’t shut up until hubby put him down on the floor and he promptly pottered over to the door to get out! When the vet came out of her room, she already knew we were there as she ‘heard’ him complaining from the racket he was making! When she took him in the back for the blood test we wondered what decibel he would reach … sure enough 10 seconds later we could hear him complaining … not in pain, he’s just learnt that the more he complains the more he gets his way … clever little tyke! The vet mentioned ‘quality of life’ - I think she thought he might be in pain from the racket, but he isn’t, we know him too well, as soon as he gets his way he stops which is what he did there.

We had his liver enzyme tests done around 3 weeks ago, to see what was going on with him, unfortunately they were the highest they'd ever been so we were very concerned that it was the beginning of the end. After restricting his diet even more, we had them done again on Monday this week to see if they were improving and they came back as being slightly better, but still way over what they should be - one lot should be no more than 225 ... they were at 1500!!!! The other should be no more than 150, they were at 250.

I've done loads more research into diets, medication etc (hence why I've not been on the forum giving you all aggro as much as I normally do!) and it's an absolute minefield. There are some good Cushings forums but it gets very 'intense' - I know they are only trying to help but the questions they constantly ask does your head in at time!

Hubby had a good long chat with the vet on Tuesday night - we know that Midge has severe liver problems but the Cushings is being controlled okay, even though the medication for it (Vetoryl) is contra-indicated for dogs with liver disease. We can't treat the liver disease with medication as this is done with steroids which we can't use for a Cushingoid dog. We can't stop the Cushings meds to treat the liver disease instead as this will definitely do him in as his body just won't be able to fight them both. It's a real dilemma. We're feeding him fish/chicken and rice/potato plus some diced frozen veg, sausage to get his tablets down him, plus his favourite low copper complete dog food at lunch. He's now also on a Vitamin B & E, Zinc and Selenium supplement which is supposedly good for liver function.

He’s got a ruddy ear infection (yet again) and also, although his eyes aren’t infected they’re not looking brilliant so he’s on medication for them as well. I stopped counting the cost ages ago! I’ve reduced the amount of bathing he’s having as it just stressing him (and me!) out too much and we can’t, in all honestly, say that the shampoo is now actually doing much to help him anyway - and he hates being wet in any case!

So … is there any good news? Well, yes, in the past few days, he’s more relaxed - he’s laying flat out on his side now and stretching his legs out, rather than on his stomach with his legs tucked under - so he’s not so tense. He is more interested in what’s going on, pricking his ears up at every noise, scanning us like a hawk as we walk by in case we’ve got some food (back to his normal self there!). He’s pottering and interacting more and nearly laid down in his favourite spot in front of the fire today … not done that for 5 months! He had a nice potter on the field tonight without complaining once or standing still and refusing to move and when we got back in he decided to have a bit of a preening session … again, he hasn’t done that for ages. He’s having very few tantrums now so is more content. Usually he slobs out in his bed and doesn’t want to get out for his tea and we were having to feed him, sometimes off a spoon, to get his grub down him - but tonight he actually stood up to eat his tea without any encouragement!!! Hopefully he has turned the corner and might, just might, be fighting it himself and may possibly get a bit better - any improvement is an absolute joy to us, no matter how small. We’re not kidding ourselves, we know he’s never ever going to be ‘cured’, but if we can get him a bit better so that he can enjoy himself a bit more, we’ll be absolutely ecstatic.

We’re planning on having a few days away at Easter at a micro car rally at Ripon to chill out a bit with our friends (weather permitting), the dogs can potter and we can slob out, hopefully in the wonderful sunshine - we’ve not been away overnight in the ‘van since September and we really, really are going stir-crazy!

Well, that’s enough for now … keep sending your good wishes for Midge … you never know, they could be helping!!!

Glad things seem a bit more positive for Midge, as you say any small improvement is fantastic, heres hoping the sun shines for your weekend away. We havent been away since pickering and cant wait to get away again.

J.

Always thinking of you and Midge Mel Im glad that he is showing some improvement :-D A few days in the van relaxing is just what you need and hopefully Midge will enjoy it too! that creamy stuff you were talking about! it isnt thrush is it?? I hope you enjoy your break were like you havent been away since back end of last year were off on Mon; for a couple of days.

Hi Mel B

Pleased to read that things are improving for your dog a little.

Sadly our little Pepsie died last night, the pain got to be too much for her and we had to agree with the vet that she was suffering too much to allow it to continue any longer.

Seriously, I have now lost my very best friend who shared her life of 15 years with me and made me very happy indeed and I shall miss her loads.

I have flown home from Spain to pick her up from the vet's to bury her in our garden.

Oh Syd, I am so sad to hear of this news. I wish I was there to give you a big hug and strength. I really am feeling sad at what you are going through and hope that time passes quickly to where you can think of your little friend and smile at the love you gave her and that she had a good life with you. Big hugs my friend. Joy

Sorry to hear about your best four legged buddy Syd, its a terrible time I know, most of the time we treat them more like kids than we do our real kids and when we lose them there is a big empty space and in its own way its just as bad as if it was a member of our human family that we have to say goodbye to. Think to the happy times shared by you all. Memories are precious and will make you smile

Syd Im so sorry to hear you lost little Pepsie :-( you did all you could to keep her that little bit longer ! I know only to well how you are feeling we went through much the same with our last little dog who was 13 years when we lost him just 3 years ago. You just have to console yourselves that you did your best and she had to go sometime although you can never know just how shattered you are going to be when the day comes.Thinking of you and your sad loss it was akin to loseing a child as that is what she has meant to you and 16 years ago I would never have imagined me saying that as Id never known what a little dog could mean to you.

I'm so sorry for your loss Syd - I know exactly what you are going through having recently lost my darling dog of 17 years. Try and think of the happy memories and I'm sure you have many. It is a selfless action to save your dog suffering and the highest respect and show of love you can bestow upon your beloved pepsie. My thoughts are with you

Yesterday evening I had the very painful task of taking my dog to the animal hospital to be put to sleep. 'Murphy' wa a Saluki who I rescued when he was 1 year old, he had been treated very badly and was in a hell of a state physically and psychologicaly. He was nearly 14 years old. I came back after a 10 day Easter break, my step son had been taking care of him whilst we were away and had alerted us to the fact that he was not well and although eating was bringing it straight back up undigested. To cut a long story short, when we got back on Tuesday I took him straight to the vets, they kept him in for 2 nights and then said we could bring him home whilst they waited for results of some tissue samples they had taken. However, they virtually told us that it was cancer. After having him only one night he got worse on Friday and I took him back to the animal hospital, unfortunately he was obviously suffering and deteriorating at such an alarming rate that they said it would be kinder to put him to sleep. It seems strange not to have him around today, he was my dog and I feel the loss greatly.

Oh Big Mamma, my thoughts are with you... why do we put ourselves through this pain of owning animals that we come to love so much.. I am sure that you know so many of us are now feeling your hurt and wanting to say the right thing ..... but what can we say that will stop that hurt. Big hugs to you and know more than anything else that your little friend was so lucky to have been loved so much and cared for. Joy x

Okay - update on Midge the Squidge

We decided to go away for the week - we're booked into Peterborough from Thursday in any case, so we set off on Saturday morning and are currently at Mablethorpe, travelling down the Lincolnshire coast on the way to the show.

Midge is eating pretty well okay on his rice/potato chicken/fish diet, supplemented by some low copper etc complete food and a boiled egg each day ... plus of course the hot dogs in a morning to get his tablets down him! We've took him on the beach yesterday and today and he's been pushed around in his buggy (not easy on sand!) and then he's had a few little potters as well playing his favourite game of ... "it's this way to the camper and waddling back up the beach" or "let me climb back in ... pretty pleeeeaasssseeeee".

Unfortunately he's still very manky looking and his ear infection keeps swapping from one to the other, his feet are still covered in the horrible black crusty stuff too and he keeps getting the yeasty sticky stuff on his tummy now. In other ways, though, he's feeling better - he's certainly more alert and not complaining quite as much as he was - no 'tantrums' for a while now which is good. It's fun trying to bath him in the camper though!

Its a good job we've got a garage - we've got a buggy, baby bath, towels, papoose and various other bits of paraphernalia ... you'd think we had a sprog in tow! Sometimes I think he gets confused about 'what' he is especially when he's playing awkward and will only eat if he's fed off a spoon … haven’t had to go back to the squeezy ex-sauce bottle to get his grub down him though!!!

We're just playing it a few days at a time ... not making any particular plans for him, or us, just seeing how he goes.

If anyone wants to see the 'creature', aka Midge, or even us, we'll be in the UK campsites section from Thursday to Sunday - FJ56 YPM - come and have a visit.

• 3 weeks later...

Flipping heck ... is it really that long since I last posted on this thread! 8-)

Well, Midge is still with us, still looking decidedly manky though. He's been a bit fed up, quite lethargic and lost his appetite a bit more than before. So, after much deliberating and research of the internet, forums etc, we made the decision to take him off his Vetoryl medication for his Cushings and he's been off it since Saturday. We've done this as we suspect that it is actually making him feel worse and the lethargy and lack of appetite is a known side effect, and for a dog with liver problems the medication isn't actually recommended anyway (but there isn't an alternative), plus his lesions etc have not got any better, a little worse in fact, so even if it was controlling the Cushings (excess Cortisol) other than that it didn't appear to be doing much good. Add to this that his last liver enzyme test came back higher once more and the vet also found that he was anaemic too. Trying to get a dog to eat to sort out his anaemia when he's not interested in food isn't easy!

We also decided on this route because the vet mentioned that she thought Midge was starting to suffer - he looked a bit worse for wear and he'd only just had a bath and clip so his patches looked worse than normal, although the vet did admit that dogs always are at their worst when at the vets - at home he is much more relaxed and certainly not ready for the knackers yard yet. So, what had we got to lose by stopping the medication? We could always put him back on it if needs be without causing any problems and it would start to work again within a few hours of him taking it.

So how is he now? Well, he's eating much better, he's more alert and watching what's going on around him, when we were away at the weekend when on the beach and field he was actually sniffing/snuffling, something he hasn't done for a very long time. Today he actually got out of his bed and walked over to us to say hello ... doesn't sound much but when I tell you that he hasn't done this for about 2 months then you'll realise why we are very happy!

The vet is aware of what we are doing and doesn't have a problem with it, after all he's our dog and we know him best - better for him to have some time when he's able to potter a bit and enjoy his grub etc than be drugged up all the time. We'll just see how he goes - he actually gave us licks today too ... not getting my hopes up but it is nice to have a bit of the 'old style' Midge back, no matter how long it may be for.

Talking of which ... time for his bath ...

Im sure your doing the right thing Mel you know your dog better than the Vet and know how he is reacting or not to his meds; I had the feeling with my last little dog that had heart problems, and was having intermittent seizures, that it was trial and error the Vet was making sugestions and looking at me for as to wether I agreed or not! I didnt want him to have phenobarbitone but thought the Vet knew what he was doing!! he didnt! Tim died after two days of being on it! I blamed myself for months for not saying so.

You follow your instincts and its lovely to hear Midge is happier and feeling better in himself :-D I hope it continues for a long time.

Archived