Cushings disease - anyone got a dog with it?

Mel B

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mini-update.

Midge's skin lesions appears to be 'healing' a bit! His eyes and nose are certainly looking a bit better than they were last week, the black and crusty stuff is coming off much more easily all over and especially on his feet - he's actually looking more like the Midge of old ... my lovely pretty little 'boy' (yeah, I know, soppy s*d that I am!).

He sleeps in our bedroom in his basket and when he wakes up around 4.00 am he give a few little 'mumbles' and get hoiked out of his basket and onto the bed where he snuggles down at the bottom ... nice and comfy. Not daft is he! :D He's certainly been a lot happier these last few days ... hopefully it will last.

We're going to the vets tomorrow to pick up details of all his test results so I can do a bit more 'research' and try to understand what is going on with him more and see what else we can try to improve his condition. Need to try to sort out the anaemia but wary of giving him liver as don't want him to get any problems at the 'other end' as it can be quite rich. I've got a nice bit of broccoli which I'll cook for him later as he won't eat it raw - anyone got any suggestions for other foodstuffs that are a good source of iron?

Squidge update again ... for anyone who's interested! :D

He's eating like a horse, is much much more alert, his hearing is back to normal (no ear infections) and he's looking around a lot (no eye infections) and is very interested in what's going on around him. He's happy to get out of his bed now without having to be asked and will occasionally take himself off for a rummage around. His foot pads and his feet are virtually normal although he still has black patchy marks all over them but this can take a long time to go apparently (hopefully it will). The other patches and lesions are slowly healing and he hardly gets any of the yeasty stuff on him now which is great. His fur is growing back well and he is very relaxed and even playful on occasions. He's drinking but at least he now stops himself rather than use having to stop him from drinking excessively. He's saying 'hello' to the other dogs now too - he and Lily had a lovely snuffle of each other's today (noses and faces) ... and I got some more licks!!! He's even started to look interested when the dogs are getting ready to go out for their walk ... maybe take him for a little potter himself in a day or two once he's got a little more strength back weather permitting. :-S

Whether he's feeling better because the anaemia has improved or removing him from the Vetoryl has stopped him being so zonked out I don't know but whatever the reason I'm extremely happy with the improvements! He'll never be 'cured' but at least he's much happier and that's what matters. :-D

Will have to decide where we go from here ... whether we put him back on the Vetoryl or not, perhaps at a lower dose, or every other day, so that he's not so zonked ... will have to take more advice on that as we certainly don't want him to go back to being a zombie again. Been trying to get some info on a couple of doggy cushings forums but not getting anywhere with that really - they like to ask for lots of info, such as test results etc, but then it goes quiet ... don't mind giving all the info and his history (which does take a fair bit of time) but it would be nice to get some feedback, it feels a bit like they just want to gather info for their own interest sometimes ... :-| Anyway, we'll see ... hopefully he'll keep improving or at least, not get any worse. :-) My theory is that he wants to go on holiday with us abroad in June/July so that when we come back we'll have to try to explain why he is so manky looking ... could be interesting at customs if that happens!!!! 8-)

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm ... well, time for another update I think. :-|

Midge has been coming on great guns but just this week the yeast stuff on his tummy has come back with a vengence, poor little mite, its quite sore. The rest of him has been clearing up lovely, his ears are well on the way back to looking like ears again and so are his feet, so we're at a bit of a loss to explain why all of a sudden he's had this yeasty tummy occur. He's still eating well but is obviously fed up of the sore tummy. :-(

A friend of ours is going sea fishing tomorrow and usually comes round to me afterwards to fillet etc his catch of cod etc ... as he only normally wants a little bit of the fish we usuaully end up with a load for the freezer ... and for Midge! Hope he has a good day as we're completely out of it now and Midge loves the stuff!

Add to this poor little Lily who's still feeling very sorry for herself after her op (spaying) on Tuesday, and that we can't go away this weekend because she's not really up to it and we don't want to risk her trying to dart around and pull her stitches. *-)

Probably take the pooches out locally instead for some potters, weather permitting of course, Midge should enjoy a little trip out in his buggy. :-D

Hubby's just been bathing Midge ... screaming like a banshee he was (Midge not Chris!), poor little s*d. :-(

Got some calamine lotion from the chemist today and have put that on him to see if that helps, can't use normal antiseptic as it just goes manky and holds moisture in so doesn't really do much good. Hopefully the calamine will 'dry' it a bit as well as sooth - it certainly seemed to help earlier on so here's hoping - haven't used it for years though, use to use it all the time for bug bites, nettle stings and of course good old chicken pox! *-)

Bad news on the fish front, our friend only caught 2, one had to go back in, and the other, a pollock, didn't have a massive amount on it unfortunately. Should keep Midge going for a few days though. :-S

Off to watch a video 'Wolverine' ... and drool over Hugh Jackman. :D

It's been a bit 'fraught' here these last few days. Midge's yeasty stuff was suddenly getting worse, not better and he started to have a little difficulty breathing on Tuesday evening which continued overnight so we took him to the vet yesterday morning and it turns out he has a 'crackling' right lung, possibly an infection, if not, then fluid build up from heart failure setting in. :'(

As he is still extremely strong and 'fighting his corner' we decided to 'ignore' the Cushings and treat the current problem as that was what would do him in first. So, steriod and antibiotic jabs later Chris took him to work to keep an eye on him and I was at home in the afternoon anyway so could be with him - we were hoping he'd be okay but fearing the worst. Fortunately his breathing improved and he was much more settled by the afternoon which was a very big relief. :->

He had a much more settled night ... but we didn't! We kept waking up to check on him as we couldn't hear him breathing!!!!! 8-) This morning and at lunch time he was full of himself, ears up, eating his biscuits etc as if nothing was wrong ... growling at Lily when she got too close and tried to nick some! He was even giving my hubby the 'pitiful stare' to get him to give him some of his sandwich!!!

We took him back to the vets at lunchtime today, he happily pottered about and even licked the vets hand ... not known for licking so this was a real privilege! This particular vet hadn't seen him for a while and was amazed that he was still with us .. he's such a fighter ... whilst he's willing to fight, we will too (bank account ain't half taking a bashing though!!!8-)).

We've now got a week's supply of antibiotics tablets for him - the testing time will be in a day or two when the effects of the steroid jab wear off ... at the moment he's content and comfortable, hopefully he'll stay that way ... we can hope can't we .... :-S

Quick update - he's had a bath tonight as we haven't done him for a few days with him being more poorly than usual, and he's actually been PREENING!!!! 8-) I can't remember the last time he actually had a proper preen!!!!! :-> He's currently snuggling in his bean-bag as his tummy is full from scoffing his jacket potato and yoghurt! :D

Off away first thing tomorrow until Sunday afternoon, just locally, to the various markets/carboots, beach etc so that should perk him up too as he loves being in the camper. :-D

Hi Joy

We did have a nice couple of days away thanks. The weather was gorgeous!!! B-) Nice potter on the beach on Saturday with the squidge and sitting out on the grass in the sunshine to have lunch on Sunday, nice and relaxing ... we needed that!

Midge is much better - his breathing problem has gone, and he's actually actively getting up and walking around more - he had a nice long 'stand' in front of us at lunch time trying to levitate our sandwiches off the plates and into his mush!!! :D

He then proceeded to scoff a load of biscuits and has had a nice snooze this afternoon on the couch. Tonight, he also stood up to eat his tea with the other 2 dogs, something he hasn't done for a while, so he must be feeling better and stronger. He also went for a potter on the drive and, as some kids ran by, Lily barked at them and he joined in too. :->

He's just had his bath and is currently complaining about being wet and duffing his beanbag in between giving me mucky looks ... and it wasn't even me who bathed him! 8-) He'll be having his supper shortly and then it'll be a nice cuddle on the couch, again something he's only these last few days been happy to do.

We feel like we've been on an emotional rollercoaster and the ride's not over yet. Oh, I do so hope that he's gonna stay like this, or better, for a while at least so he can enjoy himself. You never know, he might be going on holiday with us afterall! :-S

The sneakly little s*d was up out of his pit this morning and stuffing himself silly with biscuits from the treat tub, which hubby had just put on the floor before getting Midge's tablets ready, before hubby realised what Midge was up to!!! By heck he can move it he wants to (dog not hubby!). :D

Midge stood up staring at us for a good 10 minutes at lunchtime trying his levitating act again ... didn't work though ... no way was he getting my tuna and cheese sarnies! ;-)

Wow Mel, What a difference a couple of days make, eh? Really really pleased for you and fingers crossed that this continues onwards and upwards from now on.

Noticed Syd posting on another thread and made up. I have noticed that since his sad loss he disappeared but he must be feeling a bit better now. Think this sunshine helps doesn't it. :-D

• 2 weeks later...

Update on the Squidge monster again for anyone who's interested ... I can't believe it's been so long since I posted! 8-)

He hasn't got the chest infection/breathing problem back thank goodness and is actually quite strong and still a cheeky little s*d! He'd stuff himself silly if we let him (that's the Cushings as well as him being a hungry nose anyway). He has, yet again, got ear infections - a common problem with his immune system being compromised with the Cushings - but the medication should sort that out, we've also got him on some tummy meds too, to try to make him a bit more 'solid' ... sorry if you've just had your tea. :D He seems to go from fairly normal to making Mr Whippys (swirly ice-cream).

As our Eurpean trip is coming up very fast indeed we had his blood tests repeated yesterday for liver and kidney function, plus anaemia. We were working on the principal that if they had risen, despite all the hard work with his diet etc, then we were on a hiding to nothing, regardless of how well he was doing, and we would certainly have to be making a decision about what we do next sooner rather than later. However, it is not as bad as we feared. His liver levers are only slightly higher than they were, but one of them is less than half what it was when he was first diagnosed with Cushings. His kidney function result is better than it has been for a long time, not massively so, but a bit better, whilst his anaemia is the same. But he is a much happier dog. His skin lesions are looking much better and not getting as scaley etc anything like they were. We did ask about putting him back on the Vetoryl now he is stronger, but the vet didn't feel ther would be any benefit in doing so as that's not his major problem now.

He was really funny yesterday, when I got the van out to go to get the Gaslow bottle installed, he started to squeak and complain, and eventually got up and pottered over to us ... he thought we were going away without him!!! I relented and he had a nice trip out and a snooze on the bed whilst the bottle was being installed.

All being well ... he'll be going to Italy with us!!! :->

The Dometic freezer will be chock a block with cooked chicken and fish for his tea so I don't think we'll be taking anything for us in there. *-)

If something happens whilst we are away, then so be it, at least he'll have a bit of a holiday in the meantime. :-D

Mel I hope you All have a lovely holiday and Midge keeps well while your away :-D just stock up with any meds you might need and enjoy, we have just returned ourselves after 4 weeks so I was reading and catching up on Midge,s progress, he does sound to have improved while on the antibiotics doesnt he? my last little one used to suffer from fluid retension as he had a heart problem we used to give him fruisemide tabs (not sure if Ive spelled that right) and while away in Scotland had to rush to a Vet as he had a problem with his breathing and was collapsing they gave him an injection which made him pee loads and he luckily picked up which was a relief.

I hope all goes well for you and you dont need to look for a Vet while away although we have found the Vets in France very good and Im sure the same will apply in Italy. maggy.

Thanks Maggyd. Our Piggy had fluid build up round her heart due to heart failure, but she went on for over a year like that and lived until 17, it's amazing how they can keep going.

The little Midge monster is getting very, very cheeky! We were getting ready to go out on Saturday to sort out our rental bungalow at Scunthorpe and the little horror kept looking at us to see what we were up to - he eventually got up and started to squeak as he wanted to go, same as he had the previous Saturday ... so we took him! Yesterday morning though he was fairly quiet as he didn't get the usual amount of sleep with being out with us, but later he sussed again that we were up to something as we were getting the van ready for our holiday, putting bits in and removing the 'junk' etc. He kept looking to see what we were doing and pottered out to the van, insisted on going inside it and laying in his bed in there fore a snooze ... no way were we going to go without him. :D

Today he's been more lively than ever, this morning he was potting about in the kitchen and couldn't decide which bed he wanted to be in so he kept turfing the other dogs out of their - poor Romy kept getting settled in one, then another, and then he'd just come along and head butt her until she moved! Tonight he's been following my hubby round like a little sheep and even went out with him and into the workshop where we keep the chest freezer, to see what he was up to in there, Midge never goes in there!!!!. :-D He's obviously feeling a bit perkier and his 'toilet' productions are much more normal now which is a reflief. :$ I do so hope that he'll enjoy his holiday, if he keeps this up we'll be well chuffed! :->

He,s not daft Mel he knows your going and NO way are you leaving him behind :-D my last little one used to sit on the stuff we had piled up in the hall before putting in the caravan ! this one has been shooting out and jumping in the van as we have been bringing things in after our 4 weeks away he thinks we are going again and not taking any chances. :-D Midge will enjoy himself as long as he is with you if he,s like Teddy he will sleep all the time your travelling anyway wont he. Have a lovely time and safe journey.

Well ... this is the post I was hoping not to have to make for a long time ... We had Midge put to sleep last night.

He had got another bought of the stomach problem but this time with severe diarrhea which his medicine didn't control. It had come on so quickly and showed no sign of abating. He was stronger and his skin etc was looking better than it had for a while, however, it looks like his liver had just about had enough and basically, that was that. We could've tried some steriod and antibiotic injections and might have been able to turn him around but the chances were very great that it would happen again, quicker and quicker each time and he would just get weaker, dehydrated, more anaemic, and feel really poorly before the inevitable. We never wanted him to suffer and whilst he was still feeling okay as the dehydration had only just started to kick in slightly, we decided enough was enough, we didn't want to wait until he felt poorly from it all, better whilst he was calm and as comfortable as he would ever probably be. He kept looking at the biscuit barrel at the vets so he got a couple of his favourite treats and then the deed was done.

He nearly made it to his holiday - we were considering postponing the foreign trip and sticking to the UK (Eurotunnel said it wasn't a problem to change the booking), but even doing that wouldn't really have made much difference. He might have 'hung on in there' for a few more weeks at best, but that certainly wasn't going to be nice for him - terriers are very strong and go on and on, despite their health conditions, but that's not the way we wanted him to go. He's now buried in the garden with the rest of the menagerie. Nice sunny spot, he would have approved of it.

I don't know how to describe how I feel ... we knew it was coming but it's extremely difficult to deal with ... you do get so close to them, especially when they are poorly and you have to care for them even more. He was always my 'little boy', a special little chap, undemanding, independent, but always wanted that little bit of reassurance which, if I was lucky, was rewarded by a lick!

I know some will have great difficulty in understanding all of this and how you can get so attached to a little furry animal ... all I can say is you had to know him ...

Midge.jpg.2d426e7c97c91097989a143dfafadc50.jpg

Mel, I'm sorry to read about Midge. I do so understand the attachment that develops between owners and furry family members - we don't use the word pet, dog or cat - they're family.

If it helps, let me quote you a line from I think, Sir Michael Parkinson, who, when he wrote about the pain he was feeling at the loss of his companion, said, "The pain we have to bear is the price we have to pay for having known and loved them"

They might be borrowed words, it matters not but hope they help.

Martyn

Mel Im so sorry :-( I shed a tear for you and little brave Midge but you did the right thing, you have got him at home where he belongs and not in a foreign country which could have happened! I know it will be a long time for your hurt to heal and Im sure he will be walking behind you on your hols, just remember him for his funny little ways and know that he is suffering no more maggyXX

Mel

So sorry to hear about Mitch but it sounds as though you gave him a fantastic life and did the right, but very hard thing to do, by him in the end.

Time and memories are a great healer, Sandy, who we lost 15 years ago still gives us laughs today when we remember his antics and I am sure Mitch will do the same for you.

Archived