Cushings disease - anyone got a dog with it?

Mel B

Thanks for your thoughts guys ... this morning was extremely difficult, more so than yesterday, as I've had to get the van ready and remove all his 'kit' etc ... not easy. We miss him dreadfully but are trying to remember the fun we had with him.

Behave yourselves whilst I'm away ... :-S

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mel

Have only just caught up with your sad news as computors have been off line at home.

My thoughts are with you and Chris, it never is easy and nothing anyone can say to you will make it any better or easier for you both.

He had the best treatment and care he could have wished for.

Try and enjoy your hols anyway, hopefully cartch up with you both at one of the shows.

love and hugs from dex and george and of course from me. x x

I'm so sorry to hear you lost midge last week, I cried when I read your account. My heart goes out to you as I know exactly how you feel having lost Zoe this year. She is still with us in spirit which I'm sure Midge is with you now. My thoughts are with you x

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi guys

Just catching up with things whilst we've been away - thanks for your thoughts. We've missed Midge terribly ... but remembered him having fun on the beach, snoozing in the van etc, etc. It was very hard coming home and knowing that he wouldn't be there doing his usual run around the garden grunting and mumbling and seeing who had been there whilst he'd been away.

I do have a 'surrogate' Midge which I actually got from a car boot sale about a few months before we lost him ... I used to collect 'toy' dogs, from little things to great fluffy things, but gave a lot away to charity when we had a clear out ... but this one just caught my eye and I had to have him ... its the way it 'stands' I think that remind me of him more than anything and the 'barrel' shape! Anyway, the surrogate came on holiday with us ... and got the odd cuddle - yes I know, silly b*gger ain't I!

Romy seems to be turning into a 'real' surrogate Midge though, she has sometimes laid at my feet in the footwell of the van whilst travelling ... it was one of Midge favourite spots ... she's never done this before even when Midge wasn't laying there. She also has been doing other Midge-esq things too ... its really weird ... I thinks she's missing him. On a couple of days she was a bit 'down', not any particular reason for it, but just looked glum and fed-up. We tried not to mention Midge's name in case that was upsetting her as she certainly noticed when we did.

She did try to 'remind' us of him in a rather unfortunate way though ... she 'nicked' a tissue on Friday morning of the day we were going on holiday and must've swallowed it whole (she usually shreds them first) ... over Friday night we had the mainly 'rear end' consequences ... not nice but fortunately the tissue was retrieved intact!!! Managed to get some stuff from one of the pharmacies in France which eventually sorted her upset tummy out - it was funny in a way though - you try explaining to a French lady who doesn't speak any English the problem your dog is having WITHOUT resorting to pointing to certain parts of your anatomy in the process!!!! :$ We also learnt how to use a French laundrette so another experience there, fortunately I always carry some washing powder in the van which made life simpler.

Romy is also trying to rack up the vets bills now ... she decided to lollop around on last Saturday morning on the beach at Wimereux (the first one we'd seen since going away 3 weeks earlier) and promptly broke one of her dew claws which was sitting at a right angle and bleeding .... ouch! So, a visit to the local vet, waiting for over an hour and then after cutting the broken part of the claw off, a painkilling injection, antibiotics and dressings a nice bill for 68 euros! Hopefully, though, this will be covered on our travel insurance which has a pet section that covers for emergency treatment for up to £300 with a nil excess ... we will see ... it will be a test of how good they are in this respect. She is still lolloping around though, you wouldn't guess she'd done anything.

Lily is a right little Lady now, not a 'puppy' anymore. I don't think I've ever seen her eyes so wide ... all the things she's seen and done - she's learnt to swim ... once she'd realised that when you get into deeper water you don't keep walking on your hind legs and paddling furiously with your front legs ... you actually have to lift your bottom up or you sink! Once she'd learnt there was no stopping her, she was swimming over to people to say hello ... we had to keep going and retrieving her especially when she decided to try to go over to see the swan in the middle of a lake! *-)

When I get the chance I'll put some info on in a separate thread of where we went and stayed - we had some lovely stops and didn't have to use a campsite once, at one aire we got free water, and waste emptying plus free showers and they were wonderful ... but you'll just have to wait to find out where this little gem was.

Apologies for any typos ... fingers haven't had to type for over 3 weeks and they've forgotten!

188643699_surrogateMidge.jpg.86a883c72299578c673c6d8200233e6a.jpg

1802650118_realMidge.JPG.26114391a544fd3b0e1b522a3dac20c9.JPG

Good to have you back Mel :-D and pleased that you enjoyed your hols. I can see where your coming from that cuddly does remind you of Midge. You will have to tell me what you got from the Pharmacy in France for Ps; upset stomach? I tried to get something for Teddy when we were in Germany! I asked for Pepto Bismol, and of course they didnt have it and the doc spent over half an hour reseaching it on his computer!! he did come back with the ingredients and said he could probably make it up but it does contain asprin which I wasnt aware of so I didnt get any! I felt awful coming out without buying something as he had been so helpful.

Im looking forward to seing where you went, as we go again to France in September, and apart from Monets Garden we havent decided where to go! J doesnt want to go too far down South as we ae only having 3 weeks! and where do you stay for the Vet? we have been to Marquis for the last two trips because staying at Escalles is handy.

Your other dogs are bound to be missing Midge they wont understand where he is will they?? like you it will take time. maggyxx

Bazza - you could be right about the surrogate Midge ... he does have that sort of 'contemplating' look on his face!!!!

Maggy - we got something called "Diarkan Sucre", specifically for dogs with rear end problems! We had previously got something from another chemist which was a human version which had absolutely no effect at all so I'd stick to proper doggy medicine if you can. You can get a product in the UK without prescription from pet shops and garden centres etc that do pet products, which is just little tablets, can't remember the name but it's only a small packet and costs around £3-£4 and works well, we just didn't have any with us as we'd used it for Midge previously. The Diarkan Sucre is a stronger version though and cost us 7.50 euros but was worth every cent!!! This is a link which shows the product:

Diarkan Sucre

The vet we usually use is located in Ardres and we usually stay somewhere along the coast, last time it was in a nice quiet parking area just north of Wimereux near the Dunes du Slack although if you want there are quite a few campsites in and around Ardres, Guines etc (not to be mistaken for Andres!). If we want a campsite, the one at Guines is particularly good (they have a nice water slide! :D) and they take the ACSI card:

Castel site at Guines

ACSI

There's some more info on a previous thread about the vet:

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=14643

The vet at Wimereux was very nice, the receptionist didn't speak much English at all but we managed to communicate, but the vet we saw speaks very good English indeed. His details are:

Dr Dominique Popieul

Clinique Veterinaire Du Littoral

47 Rue Napoleon

62 930 Wimereux

Tel: 03 21 83 46 02

There are also 3 other vets at the practice, Dr Morin, Dr Andrieu and Dr Schaefer.

Really good to have you back, Mel. I've just phoned Carol because I was worried about you to see if she had a contact number,,,,,,, but voila - here you are!

Lovely to hear your holiday news and thinking of you with big hugs.

Joy x

Thanks for the info Mel Ill see if I can find that Diarkan Sucre, Teddy has lots of pain with his tummy upsets he is prone to Pancriatis and I have to be careful he doesnt eat anything fatty or else he is arching his back in pain he had a bad attack a few weeks before we went on our hols and was sick bloody mucus the Vet kept him in overnight on a drip :-S it is a problem when you have a greedy dog that wants to eat everything it sees.

Archived