Tyre Inflation - Advice please

Rowan Lee

sandya - 2011-11-04 10:13 AM

Most of the larger Shell filling stations in my area have an HGV tyre inflator that exceeds your required pressure near HGV diesel pump

One potential snag with using a tyre inflator at a service-station is that, unless the service-station is virtually on your doorstep, by the time you arrive there your vehicle's tyres will have warmed up and their pressures will have increased. If you don't allow for this, then there's the possibility that you'll be running with under-inflated tyres.

I used an ITC SUV pump for about 7 years without any problem. It then overheated - possibly my fault for not giving it a rest - and blew the fuse. Couldn't fix it so bought an Ring RAC900 professional which I have used once, running off the leisure battery. Certainly pumped a few extra pounds into my tyres to make them up to 5 bar very quickly. Has a great reach - something you need to be sure off because you might find the pump you buy won't reach the back wheels!

Not much use the the cars as it is difficult to connect to the battery.

• 9 years later...

An old thread I know but I wonder if anyone has succeeded in powering the RAC900 using a 240v to 12v power supply? Having checked the constant pressure at about 85psi it is ideal for running some bench top air tools … I investigated starter chargers but they are not for continuous running and can only jump start a car a few times before the internal batteries are flattened …

what I am looking for is a small unit that emulates the car battery being maintained at full power by the alternator when the car engine is running … It would be a neat solution if an inverter or power supply could be used rather than buying a second car battery or an expensive shop based starter charger unit on a trolly … any ideas anyone!

Yes it certainly is an old thread!!!

The RAC900 cannot be connected to a cars cigar lighter as it draws in excess of 10 Amps so you are going to need a power supply with a minimum rating of, imo, 20 Amps (but even then I will not guarantee it will work long term).

If you want a 240 Volt home air supply I would buy a budget 240 Volt compressor from the likes of Machine Mart, B&Q, Screwfix, ToolStation or even Aldi or Lidl when they have an offer. It will probably cost the same as a suitable 12 Volt power supply!

Keith.

PS And welcome to the forum.

Derek Uzzell - 2011-11-04 3:44 PM

One potential snag with using a tyre inflator at a service-station is that, unless the service-station is virtually on your doorstep, by the time you arrive there your vehicle's tyres will have warmed up and their pressures will have increased..

How much will they increase approximately say after a 50ml trip on a Suny day ?

Keithl - 2021-02-22 5:22 PM

If you want a 240 Volt home air supply I would buy a budget 240 Volt compressor from the likes of Machine Mart, B&Q, Screwfix, ToolStation or even Aldi or Lidl when they have an offer. It will probably cost the same as a suitable 12 Volt power supply! Keith.

PS And welcome to the forum.

Here's a good offer with most attachments supplied

https://tinyurl.com/y6jc3wd4

msnelling - 2021-02-22 5:02 PM

An old thread I know but I wonder if anyone has succeeded in powering the RAC900 using a 240v to 12v power supply? Having checked the constant pressure at about 85psi it is ideal for running some bench top air tools … I investigated starter chargers but they are not for continuous running and can only jump start a car a few times before the internal batteries are flattened …

Whilst the pressure might be OK I think the volume of air produced will not be enough to run air tools.

p.s. as I suspected, it delivers 55L/m, a drill needs maybe 150L/m

witzend - 2021-02-22 5:53 PM

Here's a good offer with most attachments supplied

https://tinyurl.com/y6jc3wd4

This is the compressor I have good compressor although its a small air tank, ideal for small jobs or with a bit of patience to bring the air pressure up free flow tools such as air cut off drills etc. great for pumping up the MH tyre's as well!

I use the original Fiat supplied compressor (2013) which also has the tyre sealing solution (which I would never use as I bought a spare wheel). It works fine keeping the tyres at 55-65psi when they need topping up. No idea if Fiat sell these as accessories, or at what price, but maybe worth an enquiry.

Dick

It is certainly possible to purchase a brand-new “Fix&Go” unit, but - as will be seen from the supplier’s advert

https://store.fixandgo.com/english/products/campers-commercial-vehicles

the product that Fiat provides for 2006-onwards Ducatos is not cheap (€134.99 + delivery) and one would be paying for the sealant system as well as the compressor.

This 2012 forum thread criticised the Ducato Fix&Go unit

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/FIX-GO-emergency-repair-kit-supplied-with-some-Fiat-motorhomes/27858/

It should be obvious that the Fix&Go unit’s compact dimensions will mean that its compressor will be quite smal and the description in the 2012 thread “...the electric motor has a small metal pinion which drives a large plastic pinion...” suggests that longevity was not high on the designer’s priority list. If it’s just the compressor function that’s of interest, secondhand ‘used’ Fix&Go units are often advertised on ebay quite cheaply, but (in my opinion) if a reliable powerful pump capable of re-inflating a badly deflated slow-punctured motorhome-size tyre is what’s wanted, the Fix&Go unit will be unsuitable.

I have three 12V tyre pumps. All of these will ‘top up’ my car’s tyre to around 32psi. The oldest, smallest pump won’t work with my motorhome’s tyres. The second, younger pump is a Ring RAC-700 model that used to run from a 20A dashboard socket, but nowadays blows fuses. It will still run OK when crocodile-clipped directly to a 12V battery, but it starts to stagger when the tyre pressure passes 60psi. My 3rd pump is a T-Max BA2641 model that will easily handle a 80psi tyre-pressure, but needs to be connected directly to a well-charged 12V battery as it will draw 30 Amps.

witzend - 2021-02-22 5:37 PM

Derek Uzzell - 2011-11-04 3:44 PM

One potential snag with using a tyre inflator at a service-station is that, unless the service-station is virtually on your doorstep, by the time you arrive there your vehicle's tyres will have warmed up and their pressures will have increased..

How much will they increase approximately say after a 50ml trip on a Suny day ?

Wonder if its enough to even give it a consideration as most gauges are only guaranteed to be within a few psi

A quick Google

In general, tires lose or gain 1 PSI (pound per square inch) for every 10? change in temperature. Theoretically, your tires could gain 2 PSI over the course of the day if the temperature rises 20?—a real possibility in many parts of the country.

so with the inaccuracy of gauges not worth considering after a short drive to a garage

Witzend

That’s just taking into account inflation-pressure alteration resulting from ambient temperature (weather) change, but you asked about inflation-pressure change resulting from a vehicle being driven 50 miles.

There is online guidance about this, with it being suggested that a 5psi to 7psi pressure increase could result after a vehicle’s tyres had reached full ‘working temperature’. My Rapido has a TyrePal TPMS system. I run the rear tyres at 72psi and I’ve seen that pressure reach the mid-80s when I’ve been barrelling along a French autoroute on a hot day.

My comment (nearly 10 years ago!) was in response to Sandy Anderson’s observation that "Most of the larger Shell filling stations in my area have an HGV tyre inflator that exceeds your required pressure near HGV diesel pump”. OK, if there’s a nearby ‘truck’ free facility that can inflate motorhome tyres to (say) 80psi, an owner might think that a powerful tyre-pump is unnecessary.

This forum thread sought recommendations for a reliable tyre-pump after an RAC900 pump had failed. It ground to a halt in November 2011 and would have been best left in peace with msnelling's question about the RAC900 pump being submitted as a new thread. Resurrecting prehistoric forum threads is rarely a good idea as the information in them is often out-of-date and it’s quite common for the age of the original to go unnoticed and confusion to occur.

Derek Uzzell - 2021-02-23 12:07 PM

There is online guidance about this, with it being suggested that a 5psi to 7psi pressure increase could result after a vehicle’s tyres had reached full ‘working temperature’. My Rapido has a TyrePal TPMS system. I run the rear tyres at 72psi and I’ve seen that pressure reach the mid-80s when I’ve been barrelling along a French autoroute on a hot day.

But no where near that after a short trip to a garage just to check the pressures Even if doing them at home before starting a trip the sunny side will have higher pressures when you adjust them allowing for the inaccuracy of gauges a short drive to a garage shouldn't matter a lot

Derek Uzzell - 2021-02-23 8:05 AM

My 3rd pump is a T-Max BA2641 model that will easily handle a 80psi tyre-pressure, but needs to be connected directly to a well-charged 12V battery as it will draw 30 Amps.

In an earlier thread, Derek, you recommended the Ring RAC900 Heavy Duty Compressor, which weighs 3.8kg.

But I see that you have purchased the T-Max, which weighs a hefty 8.4kg.

What persuaded you that the additional weight was worthwhile?

I’m not sure what my T-Max BA2641 compressor weighs (5kg?), but there’s also a BA2663 heavy-duty version that looks similar but is considerably more expensive and a lot heavier. The weights quoted on online adverts need treating with care as they may well relate to the complete ‘kit’ rather than to the pump alone.

I looked at a lot of reviews/comments before choosing the T-max pump and bought at a good price. Not being a fan of Ring products probably influenced me, too. ;-)

Archived