help with engine management light problem

Champstar

Edited - Sorry peter, never realised your post also referred to similar issue - never read to end. Personal apology to peter if you have read or get email notifications of new posts.

( "I currently have an intermittent acceleration problem which is proving very hard for the garage to locate. As soon as I get this fixed, I am selling.")

Ok, I have been browsing the engine managment circuit diagrams the hard way by hand and trying ti find comon earth points whoch could create spurious effects. Noe this is purely academic and arm chair stuff ( sorry Nick but I do not have a vehicle to look at) but the relevant and most important earth point to check is labelled C040.A and B and called engine earth. They are somewhere down the front left hand side ( gearbox side) and is where many sensors are grounded. This does seem to be a key point to check.

Maybe Nick knows exactly where they are and of course I expect the dealer has checked them but I felt worth mentioning anyway. I can look at a vehicle tomorrow possibly.

c040.JPG.e90664455414b37a9771dac807f0a0f3.JPG

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

update time:

The 2 faults that that van is throwing up is accelerator track 2 and a high pressure fuel fault.

The auto electrician thinks either a new pedal or the wiring loom but cannot check wiring until next week....really frustrating

Champstar - 2013-03-06 11:34 AM

update time:

The 2 faults that that van is throwing up is accelerator track 2 and a high pressure fuel fault.

The auto electrician thinks either a new pedal or the wiring loom but cannot check wiring until next week....really frustrating

It is a shame that you are so far from us because we would gladly swap your accelerator pedal with one of ours so that you could test it. Perhaps you know someone up there that you could do this with? The pedal is the same for all engines 2002 to 2006. This is still top of my list for most likely fault.

If there is a suspected high pressure fault this can only really be tested with any certainty by a Bosch Diesel Service agent. They have the equipment to test everything while still on the vehicle. Few other garages have this equipment. as it is very costly.

Your fuel pump provides high pressure fuel to the rail. The pressure sensor in the rail detects the pressure and the regulator in the pump responds accordingly. If there is high pressure this is almost always a regulator fault and the engine will reduce the power to prevent 'surges'. If there is nothing wrong with the regulator it will be the pressure sensor giving false readings. In any case, none of these items is cheap and you need proper tests to be carried out. You might for instance change the sensor, then the regulator and then find that it is an intermittent wiring fault all along! And be £400 or more worse off!

My money is still on the pedal.

Nick

Thanks Nick..I hope you are right..my gut feeling is the pedal because of the way the van is driving when when the fault occurs...the engine is warmed up and driving at a near constant speed and the pedal is near enough at a constant position...when coming to a downward hill I lift my foot off the gas adn the engine shudders and the eml light lights up..if I am quick enough and depress the pedal the light only flickers but more often than not the limp mode kicks in.

Graeme,

Unfortunately I would doubt it is the accelerator pedal as in your opening post you said it originally occurred when using cruise control and, unless you have an old fashioned CC connected mechanically to your pedal, it will not be using the pedal to control speed and so IMO is unlikely to be the cause.

I may be wrong but is my take on the info supplied.

Keith.

Ops sorry posted this wrong only just noticed it.

There are Mechanics as Dave says but most big garages only change parts to find a fault as they keep them on the shelf in fact large garages are not allowed welding gear for heath and safety reasons.

Then there are Electricians most are self employed of which there are lots and when they can’t do the job they ring the professionals of which there are perhaps just a few may be only a hand full of the very best I personally know of one and if you are in Yorkshire I can put you in touch with him. He writes for Pico diagnostics and if you go on their site and click on Library then case studies and look at Real- Life Diagnostics, you may find your problem there in his case studies. If you don’t get it fixed get in touch with me and I will ask him personally. . Hope this helps

cerro - 2013-03-07 10:38 AM

Ops sorry posted this wrong only just noticed it.

There are Mechanics as Dave says but most big garages only change parts to find a fault as they keep them on the shelf in fact large garages are not allowed welding gear for heath and safety reasons.

Then there are Electricians most are self employed of which there are lots and when they can’t do the job they ring the professionals of which there are perhaps just a few may be only a hand full of the very best I personally know of one and if you are in Yorkshire I can put you in touch with him. He writes for Pico diagnostics and if you go on their site and click on Library then case studies and look at Real- Life Diagnostics, you may find your problem there in his case studies. If you don’t get it fixed get in touch with me and I will ask him personally. . Hope this helps

Thanks I will keep this in mind

• 1 month later...

Just to feedback results of the similar problem I was having. MH went for MOT today and it was found that there was "excessive boost" The "turbo waste gate valve was seized closed". This has been freed off and the engine now appears to be running well.

At moment on SORN but will be back on road in May and will be taking a trip out. Should I notice any difference in performance/fuel consumption?

Archived