"Aire-ing" my thoughts.

Gwendolyn

We are the type of motorhomers that never really do any pre planning as that way we can be as flexible as we want to and go wherever the fancy takes us. We usually have an area that we intend to visit in mind but are not that bothered if we don't get that far. We don't ever set up camp which is not allowed on aires anyway. We tend to use aires that are close to towns, villages or places of interest as I have mobility problems and am in a wheelchair so parking in aires in remote places or sites miles from anywhere is not for us.

We tend to drive in a general direction and then look for somewhere to stop when we want a break. We have come across some stunning locations ourselves and usually discuss other locations with any other motorhomes on aires and mark up recommended sites for future use. We usually only stop one night as for us a holiday is about the touring, being retired we spend enough leisure time sitting around at home. We tend to travel out of main season so that it is not so busy. Our water tank is big enough to last for 4/5 days and so long as we do at least 30 miles a day never have problems with electric. We don't tend to watch TV whilst away or use hairdryers etc so don't use that much electricity. If we decide we want to stop for a few days then we will normally find an ACSI site or municipal site but even then rarely stay for more than 2 days.

To be honest everyone is different and wants different things from a holiday, if you like aires fine, if you like big campsites fine, if everyone liked aires there would be even less space between vans. Parking close on aires does give you some shade! and some aires even supply benches and picnic tables.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Gwendolyn - 2013-05-05

Lennyhb: Re water emptying on sites: we use a wastemaster type thing, on wheels, and this does away with the need to drive to an emptying point.

I've got one of those in the shed from caravanning days, certainly don't want it in the Motorhome much easier to drive over a dump point.

But hey… we are off. And we many use Aires for overnighting. And who knows, we may find one of these “gems”. But what fascinates me is the way the Aires fans seem to plan a trip around the use of Aires.

I think you are missing the point Gwen the beauty of using Aires & wild camping in main land Europe is that you don't need to plan you can always find somewhere to stop for the night.

I think you are missing the point Gwen the beauty of using Aires & wild camping in main land Europe is that you don't need to plan you can always find somewhere to stop for the night.

I have to agree on the point made, i used to rely on campsites now and then to recharge my batteries and do the laundry but with so many laundrettes starting to be set up in service stations and supermarkets, Spain & France and what with the extra solar panels i have fitted i do not stress about these things anymore, i like to be as self sufficient as much as possible so i can do my own thing, i really do like the extra freedom it gives me and plus i enjoy life more now than ever before, i would never go back to planning my routes and freetime relying just on campsites :) not to say i would never stay on a campsite as in France some of the paid aires are becoming so expensive it's cheaper to stay on the municiple campsites, this is even starting to spread to Spain with the new Camperparks verses Campsites and i see the campsites winning the price war!

One aspect that has to be added to the equation is the length of time away. I still dabble at work even though I saw 60 a few years ago & my wife at 10 years younger is full time. So our maximum away is 3 weeks at any one time.

That sort of time period is not conducive to not planning & just following your nose. In a couple of years when we stop work, then we might be able to wander at leisure, and Aires as a norm, may then become more attractive. I'm not too bothered about paying €12, €14 or €16 at an ACSI or municipal site for a hook up & shower, a beer and a chat to the usually Dutch neighbour! :-D

Gwendolyn - 2013-05-05 10:59 AM

But what fascinates me is the way the Aires fans seem to plan a trip around the use of Aires.

Not us!

We enjoy our trip, take each day as it comes, ending up where we end up which is rarely where we 'planned' to end up - and when we're ready to stop we simply bang in the lat & long for the Aires that are either nearest or appear to be pleasant, or are on the route (more or less) that we intend to follow anyway.

Sat Nav takes us straight to it - never fails - no booking, no checking in, no form filling and no faffing about finding a pitch - and if we don't like the look we simply move on to the next one.

Depends on your outlook - for us an Aire is simply a place to sleep and re-water and not a destination in itself or place to stay too long - but if it is good we are not averse to staying a while and sitting out relaxing by day by the coast, river, mountain or pleasant or interesting town.

We use an old fashioned but very effective and simple to use book of Aires - with pictures too - to have a preview of what is on offer before visiting any Aire - how much more simples can it get than that?

Well having bid you all TTFN this morning, I am back on-line, courtesy of my T-Mobile Dongle. [This is going to be like the farewell jump of the diva in Tosca who landed on the trampoline after plunging to her “death”, and kept bouncing back above the scenery in view of the audience.]

Anyway….. back to the subject…

When I said I am fascinated by people who “plan” trips around Aires, I didn’t mean they plan which Aires at which to stay. I meant that they PLAN to use ONLY Aires. Slight difference in meaning there???

And we do not PLAN to stay ONLY at sites. Indeed we don’t plan. It’s just that having arrived somewhere, and then decide it’s time to stop, we invariably eschew an Aire just because we do not like the look of it… And THAT is the “secret world” into which I want to infiltrate.

Well tonight we are at Newport after visiting family en route. And, we have made a decision…. we will head for Bruges after we cross [been there many times, but always in hotels], then meander towards Germany.... well, it's a decision of sorts. At least we know which way to turn after getting off ferry. No other plans made. Least of all where we are going to stay.

Now… I believe there is an Aire at Bruges??????

Cheers,

Gwen

rupert123 - 2013-05-05 10:08 PM

Gwendolyn - 2013-05-05 8:21 PM

Cheers,

Gwen

Their is indeed but the campsite is not much more money and only a short walk into the town.

OOH! Could you give details please?

PS I love Beddgelert. We go to the Portmeirion Hotel every year for a treat, and always drive out there. Much as I love Pembrokeshire, where we live, North Wales has a place in my heart as I went to University in Bangor - light years ago that is. A group of us still have "reunions"! We plan that the next will be in Beaumaris.

laimeduck - 2013-05-05 10:37 PM

I imagine it's this one http://www.campingmemling.be/index.php?lang=en. I will be there in July - in 2 man tent in a Mazda MX5 with an old school friend.

I was in Bangor for 6 months in 1969 at The Nature Conservancy in Penrhos Rd - chasing sheep around Snowdon & Grib Goch - happy days!

Thanks for that. I’ll check it out.

[i graduated in 1969. Cripes, we might have met! In the Belle Vue??? But I do confess that I chased more rewarding creatures than sheep!]

Guest 1footinthegrave

For us using a Motor home is more about the journey, than the destination. We rarely experience the downsides to using aires you highlight, but I think your missing the point of them. For many people they are simply no more than somewhere to get your head down for the night, and sometimes to take you to enjoy the kind of evening a site cannot offer, I'm thinking of city aires.

We do use sites, but rarely as we prefer the spontaneity of being able to just park up, no booking in and all that malarkey. I'm not out to convince you or anyone else about the use of aires, and they range from somewhere resembling a suburb of Manchester on a bad day, to a wonderful spot in the Dordogne, but searching them out is part of the fun, and as we go away for 8 / 10 weeks at a time now we are retired it makes our budget go further. ;-)

Add into that we rarely stay in one place more than a couple of nights, Aires make our style of travel perfect. Perhaps if we were just going for a couple of weeks, we would go self catering somewhere and leave the van at home. ;-)

1footinthegrave - 2013-05-05 11:04 PM

For us using a Motor home is more about the journey, than the destination. We rarely experience the downsides to using aires you highlight, but I think your missing the point of them. For many people they are simply no more than somewhere to get your head down for the night, and sometimes to take you to enjoy the kind of evening a site cannot offer, I'm thinking of city aires.

We do use sites, but rarely as we prefer the spontaneity of being able to just park up, no booking in and all that malarkey. I'm not out to convince you or anyone else about the use of aires, and they range from somewhere resembling a suburb of Manchester on a bad day, to a wonderful spot in the Dordogne, but searching them out is part of the fun, and as we go away for 8 / 10 weeks at a time now we are retired it makes our budget go further. ;-)

Add into that we rarely stay in one place more than a couple of nights, Aires make our style of travel perfect. Perhaps if we were just going for a couple of weeks, we would go self catering somewhere and leave the van at home. ;-)

We go away for 2 / 3 months at a time. We set the budget at whatever is the highest cost of staying on a site in the ACSI scheme - currently 16 Euros a night [plus Tourist Tax in some areas]. Anything less is a bonus.

2 replies now have said that I am “missing the point”.

Yes... BIG TIME. I cannot see the point of staying somewhere uncongenial. And, as I say repeatedly, I am looking for the wonderful Aires about which people wax so lyrical. Found a couple of Stellplatz in Germany that were fine. But they cost as much as a site.

I just plan where we are going, where we want to visit and then look at the options for staying. As I mentioned earlier its a bit easier for us as we have the bike so just somewhere nice nearby where we want to be will do.

There is always something within 10 miles of where we want to be. Always. A Campsite would be a last resort as I just dont like them.

Cost is definitely a factor but only one of many. When your away six months even €16 a night for an ACSI site would mount up. Last years trip over six months averaged £2.86 a night.

Barryd999 - 2013-05-05 11:30 PM

I just plan where we are going, where we want to visit and then look at the options for staying. As I mentioned earlier its a bit easier for us as we have the bike so just somewhere nice nearby where we want to be will do.

There is always something within 10 miles of where we want to be. Always. A Campsite would be a last resort as I just dont like them.

Cost is definitely a factor but only one of many. When your away six months even €16 a night for an ACSI site would mount up. Last years trip over six months averaged £2.86 a night.

Well we don't "like" all campsites. The one we are on now - CC, rigid pitching rules.. is not what I think of as 'camping'. But it’s just off M4 and a good overnight stop.

May I ask why you say you don't like campsites, when there are so many, many differences and peculiarities and oddities, and gems....? So don’t like them all?????

Re the "budget" - yes, 16 Euros a night does mount up. But at our age, well.. if we don't spend it, we sure as hell cannot take it with us!

Growing old with abandon. I’ll be wearing purple next!!!

Cheers

Gwen

Gwendolyn - 2013-05-05 11:45 PM

Barryd999 - 2013-05-05 11:30 PM

Well we don't "like" all campsites. The one we are on now - CC, rigid pitching rules.. is not what I think of as 'camping'. But it’s just off M4 and a good overnight stop.

May I ask why you say you don't like campsites, when there are so many, many differences and peculiarities and oddities, and gems....? So don’t like them all?????

Re the "budget" - yes, 16 Euros a night does mount up. But at our age, well.. if we don't spend it, we sure as hell cannot take it with us!

Growing old with abandon. I’ll be wearing purple next!!!

Cheers

Gwen

I dont want to offend anyone but we tend to meet like minded individuals wild camping or using Aires. There are seldom hords of kids or constant noise and no tuggers watching your every move.

We also tend to pick smaller Aires (dont like the big ones), CL sites in the UK or wild on our own. I dont like being amongst lots of vans on crowded sites or aires.

I bought a motorhome as it spelled freedom and self containment. The idea of a motorhome to me is that you can go anywhere and have everything you need at hand. I dont need a campsite.

I am sure there are some nice ones. We did find one once in the Dordogne. It was the back end of the season and it was empty apart from three or four brits. We parked in a section on our own and pretty much had sole use of the swimming pool and lake for five days for €11 a night.. I enjoyed that but I only enjoyed it because it wasnt busy. I would have hated it if it had been full of motorhomes and caravans.

To be honest I cant be bothered with the faff of it all either. Booking in (assuming reception is open, having to walk around and choose a pitch, rules and regulations everywhere and then the mess on of checking out. Give me an Aire or wild spot anytime.

Guest 1footinthegrave

Having re-read the OPs post I'm more inclined to say on reflection "you don't get it" well fine, there are many things I don't get in life and I doubt any number of people would try to get me round to their way of thinking, I have a thing about dogs,can't see the point, converting to Islam, can't see the point, driving miles to sit on a site for days on end reading a book, can't see the point, keeping a parrot in a cage, the list could go on and on, what does of any of it matter.

Just stick to what you like to do, and don't wonder about other travellers preferences for Aires, after all you've laid out your stall in your original post, and do not see the point of folk using them, and seem to have a preconceived view of them, so just be content with that would be my reconsidered answer . ;-)

...And we do not PLAN to stay ONLY at sites. Indeed we don’t plan. It’s just that having arrived somewhere, and then decide it’s time to stop, we invariably eschew an Aire just because we do not like the look of it… And THAT is the “secret world” into which I want to infiltrate.

There's nothing exclusive about it.

As per my previous post, you have to do what everyboby else does and put in a few hard yards to find one that you personally find desirable. And the personal part is crucial. You may hate the ones I really like, much as I dislike most I've ever seen.

When you do stumble upon one or two that tick your boxes - and you will - all will become clear.

Guest JudgeMental

Personally just waiting to put in my order for R&J 's definitive guide to picturesque grassy aires, and hope it has an associated POI set. Not taking the pee they are truly expert at this, so credit where credit due....we just need the consise info that's all.

Have stayed Brugge aire many times, it's very convenient for the city...Far nearer then membling and a few eating and drinking places on the doorstep if raining or tired .....have had some nice meals on the barges. i hope you have added a set of camping/aires POI to your sat nav, makes travel much easier.

In the UK you can't even have a kip on a motorway service station without threats of heavy fines for stays over 2 hrs. This CCTV foisted on us for our protection again being used against us . And why is it if I park in deserted area, go into shop for a paper, 9 times out of 10 when I come back there are cars either side of me! I mean why is this!lol

Gwendolyn - 2013-05-05 10:28 PM

rupert123 - 2013-05-05 10:08 PM

Cheers,

Gwen

Their is indeed but the campsite is not much more money and only a short walk into the town.

OOH! Could you give details please?

PS I love Beddgelert. We go to the Portmeirion Hotel every year for a treat, and always drive out there. Much as I love Pembrokeshire, where we live, North Wales has a place in my heart as I went to University in Bangor - light years ago that is. A group of us still have "reunions"! We plan that the next will be in Beaumaris.

Jeremy beat me to it Gwen, that is the one. It is not the best site i have been on by a long shot, toilets/showers are pretty old but it is well priced for a city site and about a twenty minute walk from the town centre. They are very helpfull and will give you a map plus details of the bus if you do not want to do the short walk. The aire is nearer the centre but is usually very crowded and expensive, we looked at it but prefered the site. When you go to Beaumaris make sure to call at the Red Boat ice cream place, owned by Tony and Linda old friends of ours and some of the best icecream anywhere, Tony trained in Italy so knows his icecream.

Eddie thanks for supportive comment. We will put together a list of Aires we think would be good even for the Aires doubters on here. It will be on line and free but not yet sorted out best way, too busy staying on Aires! Now in Sarlat, hot sun, and yes staying on the aire here that gets a really bad press( not one for you Gwen). But last night were able to walk into the gas light lit old town for a great meal Sat outside in a lovely ambience, something you could not do from any of the sites near here as too far out. So yes Aires, of all types suit us but think Gwen your mind set favours sites so if that's best for you then great. Enjoy your trip.

robertandjean - 2013-05-06 10:10 AM

Eddie thanks for supportive comment. We will put together a list of Aires we think would be good even for the Aires doubters on here. It will be on line and free but not yet sorted out best way, too busy staying on Aires! Now in Sarlat, hot sun, and yes staying on the aire here that gets a really bad press( not one for you Gwen). But last night were able to walk into the gas light lit old town for a great meal Sat outside in a lovely ambience, something you could not do from any of the sites near here as too far out. So yes Aires, of all types suit us but think Gwen your mind set favours sites so if that's best for you then great. Enjoy your trip.

Will be heading that way next week, so can you give co-ordinates please,as you say the camp sites are a bit far out, and it is a lovely place. We don't usually use aries, but will have a friend with us in his van, so don't mind when there are two of us, he may know this arie, but as he has recently lost his wife, who did the navigating, he is following us for his first trip alone

Glad the weather is good, mind you, it's pretty warm here

PJay

One thing about aires it is worth remembering, Gwen, is that they give the opportunity to visit places during the day. Most clear out after about 10:00am, and only begin re-filling after around 17:00pm. So, if you want to visit a location that has no handy site, use the aire, have lunch, make the visit, and then drift off to the nearest campsite at about 17:00.

That way, you don't clog the aire, probably don't get charged (charge is usually for use of services or for overnighting), give whatever benefit to the local business (which is why aires exist), do get to stay on a campsite - at which you will usually arrive when reception is "awake", and get your visit/lunch into the bargain. Mind, it does help to know where you intend going before you set off that morning! :-)

Archived