"Aire-ing" my thoughts.

Gwendolyn

Thing is… I just don’t “get it”.

And yes, I know that there is another Aires thread running… but that has become an argument [again – what is it about Aires???] and I am wanting to ponder in a reflective way, and I am genuinely hoping to seek clarification. So please, no arguments???? Just your – positive – thoughts re my very rambling musings.

We have been motorhoming for almost 3 years now [life long other sorts of ‘camping’ though] and I feel that this Aires thing is like a Secret World, and one to which I have not gained entrance. Everyone is “in the know”, but I am not, as it were.

On our travels, the ones we had decided to stay at have turned out, in the main, to be unattractive – just 2 examples among very many:

- dusty layby on the edge of a not attractive village. Hot afternoon. 2 French motorhomes with their owners watching TV; in that heat! Half an hour’s drive took us to a lovely site – chairs out, we sat enjoying the sunshine

- edge of town; corner of car park; local youths skateboarding; nervous Dutch motorhomers asking if we were staying the night as they didn’t fancy staying there alone. [Why do it then was the question which sprang to mind.]

In the nearly 3 years of motorhoming [7 trips – 1 month; 3 months and 5 x 2 months] our Aires / Stellplatz tally to date is a mere 5.

One Aire, a very pleasant one, riverside in Lot valley, charged as much as a really good Municipal which we had stayed at the night previously. And that was without electric. So what’s the point? And the Municipal was right at the edge of a lovely small town. The Aire, a few hundred yards along, was crowded, with scarcely any space between vans. A few people had camping chairs on a thin grass verge behind their vans…. Hardly relaxing. We had a lovely large hedged pitch, plenty of space, EHU and all for about 9 Euros a night.

On a 2 month trip we do like to “make camp” for a while, now and again…. Awning out; kitchen tent up; chairs out; fairy lights decorating the awning…. I like it the “tweeness”!!! And pitching camp is kind of relaxing, isn’t it???

And then there is all the faffing about with water. How do you do it???? I like to shower morning and evening – and then there’s all the washing up…. And OH has his showers. How many times do you drive to the water point – and pay??? Really… how is it done????

How DO you find these gems of Aires? And if you want to stay put and relax, do you do that on an Aire?

And what about the laundry? [And don’t say go to a launderette… I just cannot use machines that others have used….]

And, if you are Aires fans [and I have read someone on here assert that ‘campsites are not for us’] do you go ONLY where there are Aires. And use them even if uncongenial?

Is going to Aires the Raison d’Etre of your motorhoming??? Or do you head for a destination and use whatever is the more attractive – an Aire or a Site??? Is using Aires the aim of your motorhoming???? Or what????

And do you go ONLY to Aires which, by their nature, tend to be on the edge of villages / towns, or do you ever go to a remote “destination site” for a few days R&R – pool, restaurant, facilities???

And does the relentless moving on get a bit tiring? Do you always want to walk into a village or town for a coffee / drink / meal??? Don’t you ever stop up for a few days and just crash out and read, or day dream??? Feet up, good book, DVD to watch in the evening????

So, here I am, van all packed, ready for “the off” tomorrow for another 2 months.

I wonder????? Will we be let into this Secret World this time?? [Although not sure we will confine ourselves to France.] What’s the key?? Can you solve the “mystery” of the Aires Attraction for me???

Just “Aire-ing” my thoughts. What are yours?

Cheers

Gwen

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All the hurdles you mention are easily overcome and are the same in camp sites if that is where you suggesting. What does attract me about aires is that it tends to be an older generation and you do not get kept awake all night by youths as has been my experience with campsites.

These are my brief views on aires but do not really know what you want and what you expect.

I think you have just been unlucky Gwen, in our 5 years of Motorhoming we have never found an Aire that we felt unsafe on. We have found some absolute gems and few scruffy ones if it's only to sleep the night fine. We have been using aires & wild camp mostly the last 2/3 years as we tend to go to France in September and there are very few sites still open once off the main tourist routes.

Very seldom have a problem with water a full tank will last 4/5 days with us both having a morning shower, don't have a problem with washing cloths just wash a few things out in the Motorhome every couple of days.

We actually like Municipal sites but most are closed when we are there, also we rarely stay in one spot more than 1 or 2 nights, 4 is the record to date and that was wild camping up in the mountains so we could go walking every day. If we have wanted to camp for days at a time we would have kept the caravan.

The moving on bit we find easier, do what we came to see/do move on the the next item or visa versa. Do far less miles, when we had a caravan 2/3 weeks away we would do 2500+ miles similar time in the Motorhome about 1500-1800 miles, no driving out every day and driving back to site.

No we don't stop and relax on holiday to much to do & see always come back from holidays totally knackered spend most of our time mountain walking & cycling (on the flatter bits).

We do relax a bit more these days no more 500 miles in a day 150 is plenty and when just moving around the next village may only be 5-10 miles down the road for the next stop.

I suppose I am wanting to understand the attraction of Aires. Never been kept awake by youths on a campsite actually. But, as we travel out of season, sites are never full and we often have no near neighbours.

One of the "hurdles" to which I cannot see an easy solution is that of obtaining water. On a site, with water on the pitch, topping up is so easy.

[That was responding to the first repsonse to my OP... sorry... I should "quote".]

Gwendolyn

I am of similar mind as yourself, although I must say I have never felt unsafe on any Aire, I have rolled up at a few and thought do I want to stop here and moved on but some we have stumbled upon have been very good, so much so we stopped two or three nights.

We now tend to use Aires just as overnight stops on route to the area we are planning to tour round but if they turn out to be good we stay for a while. This is the beauty of not booking in to sites and not being too set on where we are going. This year we are planning on spending a month around Brittany but we may well end up slipping down the west coast towards Isle de Rei or further still if the weather is not good.

The Aires of France book gives a pretty honest impression of how good an Aire is, Sometimes you may need to read between the lines.

If you ask for recommendations from people you meet on your trips you can soon get to know some good Aires and sites that will suit your requirements.

Gwendolyn - 2013-05-04 8:37 PM

Thing is… I just don’t “get it”.

And yes, I know that there is another Aires thread running… but that has become an argument [again – what is it about Aires???] and I am wanting to ponder in a reflective way, and I am genuinely hoping to seek clarification. So please, no arguments???? Just your – positive – thoughts re my very rambling musings.

We have been motorhoming for almost 3 years now [life long other sorts of ‘camping’ though] and I feel that this Aires thing is like a Secret World, and one to which I have not gained entrance. Everyone is “in the know”, but I am not, as it were.

Just “Aire-ing” my thoughts. What are yours?

Cheers

Gwen

Hi Gwendolyn,

we have about the same experience, and by the sound of it a similar expectation of a holiday in our van.

I think the idea of just coming across a place to stay, en route to somewhere else, is really attractive, but ideally that place would be as attractive as a place we had considered at length, before we set off. Making do, and putting up with insecurities shouldn't be necessary.

I know there's massive attraction in just coming across a place you'd like to stay, by chance and totally unplanned, and when and if we do, then we'll go for it. We turn up at "France Passions" and move on if we don't like the ambience. We call in at aires during the day, if they are at places that look interesting, we pay to park for a few hours if we want to see a town or a stretch of coast, but if the place is not that appealing, we move on, usually to a ACSI site.

Mostly we stay 2 or 3 nights, rarely more. If we stay 5 nights then we don't go to sleep thinking we should have bought a caravan! But next stop will probably only be for 1 or 2 nights.

I too would like to use aires more, mainly because they are generally in walking distance of towns or villages; but I'm not prepared to sacrifice surroundings, so I think we'll continue to move on more often than park up for the night, Good luck, hope you discover the secret, (if you do, then share your experience)

have a good trip

alan b

Gwen I cannot answer your question really i am afraid although we have used aires a lot more than you seem to have. A lot on here think i am against them but i am not, just try and be realistic about them. Most aires are not places my wife and I would choose to stay however their are some very good ones but they are to few and far between. Like you we use mainly sites and unlike Lenny never have a problem finding one open at any time of the year. However good aires, when you are near one are certainly worth a look, I take note of any recommended on here and on MHF and sometimes pm people who know aires well, Robert and Jean are very helpfull with this and seem to know the French aires better than most. Aires need treating with caution, some very popular ones are like motor home slums, Honfluer springs to mind here, it is always packed and not cheap, their is a very well priced site up the road so why bother with it. Like with aires we would not stay on a site that was to packed or had loads of kids, not a problem as we do not go in the school holidays. Neither would we stay on a site that some of the 'site haters' describe, although these to are few and far between these days. Good aires are certainly worth looking out for, at least for overnight stays. The German stellplatz system we use a lot more than the french aires system, we have found more of them that we like. Do not give up on aires but take note of any mentioned and if you are near at least have a look. We rarely stay anywhere more than three days but sometimes only move a short distance and will stay around to explore the local region if we like it, have a scooter so can easily cover a thirty mile radius around where ever we stop.

Try having a look at www.aire-service-camping-car-panoramique-fr.

There you can actually see a 360 degree view of any aire in France together with its co-ordinates and also the cost, if any, of staying there, before you actually arrive.

Hope this helps!

I never stay on campsites, France , Spain,Portugal etc., I have no problems with water, there is water everywhere. The same goes for toilet dumping, not a problem.

I think it is just personal preference, we don't like campsites, the French ones are Ok but in Spain and Portugal it can be hit and miss. We don't book and never have, we just like to turn up as the mood takes us. We never stay more than a couple of days anywhere, and certainly don't go to the same places time and again.

I think that you either are or are not an Aires user or wildcamper, we love the quiet beaches and uncrowded towns and villages, we just don't like what a campsite has to offer.

"Vive la difference" after all if everyone tried to use the Aires and wildcamp (although the last couple of years it feels like that) there would be no room left for us!

H

Thanks everyone . But, btw, not sure where this idea of feeling unsafe has crept in... further up thread I think. [And we have had a few scary times on a campsite or two – hung garlic in door on one – I kid you not!]

It's not the safeness but the attractiveness, “prettiness” if you like - is what matters. And I have a genuine curiosity as to whether people actively plan whole trips around Aires. Therefore can go only where the Aires are. Same could be said of Sites too of course – so do people use a mix???

We never book sites either. Not now we are "free". [in fact, having booked the ferry for Tuesday, we are still not 100% certain where we want to go. I see a major "dither" at Calais at this rate.]

Honestly just trying to gather people's thoughts and musings here.... I am curious about this Aire thing after 60 or so years of the other kinds of "camping".

I guess I like my “inertia” and staying put a bit. In 2 months I can have a lot of staying put – in different places.

Hi

it s all down to lifestiye and what you want.

we mix campsites, aires and just stopping somewhere (usually a car park in the mountains after a long walk and too tired to move!) Which depends on where we are and how we feel.

As for setting up camp, thats not for us, usually one or two nights, max 3 or 4 nights ( we stayed 5 nights near Rome - very unusual) by then we have seen all we want too and the wander lust is well and truly set in. We used to set up camp when we had a caravan but our first holiday in a m/home, 3 months in Oz and NZ, was a revelation - no need to stay in one place cos its easy to move on - we can have breakfast, decide to move on for whatever reason (maybe its started raining) and be on our way in 30 minutes. Sooo we are set up to be mobile, no awning, a couple of folding chairs easily stacked away, and thats it. We may only move 30 miles - ie we go to see a location, stay locally, move on next day. This where Aires can be ideal.

As too which Aires and their quality, we have sometimes looked and passed on to the next (too crowded or very unattractive) but others have been in stunning locations. The only way is to look.

If we are travelling, arriving in the evening and away sharp we don't need all the bells and whistles of a campsite essentially paying for facilities we will never use; all we need is a parking place.

We seldom go back to a place we have been before unless we are passing en route elsewhere, the world is a big place with lots to see and we have a very long list of places to go.

And then there is also a cost saving. Not a major factor but saving money in one place lets me spend more on what is important ie other trips round the world.

To each his own.

Travel safe

Peter

Gwendolyn - 2013-05-04 9:10 PM

One of the "hurdles" to which I cannot see an easy solution is that of obtaining water. On a site, with water on the pitch, topping up is so easy.

[That was responding to the first repsonse to my OP... sorry... I should "quote".]

Probably a lot easier to fill with water and dump grey & black water on an Aire where there is nearly always a Bourne , campsites often don't have dedicated Motorhome facilities and it can be quite a challenge.

Water on the pitch is sometimes available but its not the norm & you have still got to move the van to dump the waste.l

peejay - 2013-05-04 10:50 PM

Hi,

Simple answer if you 'don't get it' is to just stick to campsites as you seem quite happy with them.

Pete

Well, as I hope I have indicated, I am just trying to tease out the ends of all this... of a different way of camping. I enjoy reading the musings of others and their thoughts, experiences and insights. But thank you for your wisdom. I will take note.

Cheers

Gwen

Gwendolyn - 2013-05-04 11:02 PM

peejay - 2013-05-04 10:50 PM

Hi,

Simple answer if you 'don't get it' is to just stick to campsites as you seem quite happy with them.

Pete

Well, as I hope I have indicated, I am just trying to tease out the ends of all this... of a different way of camping. I enjoy reading the musings of others and their thoughts, experiences and insights. But thank you for your wisdom. I will take note.

Cheers

Gwen

Good post Gwen, and people have taken note , and not pushed their preferences .

Like you we have not taken to aires, though have found one or two which are pleasant, prefer to use ACSI. We try to find places close to villages or towns, as we do not have bikes/scooters, and mobility is not my strong point now. We are off next week, and apart from visiting Friends in Normandy and Brittany (delivering must have's from home)( we use them like aire, one friend has even made a sign, which he puts out) and Uk magazines, we don't know where we will go, exepct head for the good weather. So France, Spain, Portugal, let's see where the fancy takes us

PJay

Horses for courses I guess, as ever.

Just got back home to Spain after the latest 4.5 week tour around south and west France. Used free Aires or wildcamped every night, as per normal for us.

We love Aires, and mostly they are free. And mostly almost empty at this time of year.

No noise. No sprogs running about.

We have a 125 litre fresh water tank, and two solar panels, so despite each of us showering every day and washing up etc, no need for water top ups more than once every 4 of 5 days, and no need for constant umbilical electric hookup.

We do have a 125cc scooter on a rack behind the MH, so we do tend to use Aires as a base-camp from which to zoom off and explore the surrounding cities/towns/villages/countryside.

We could use ACSI sites (we used to a lot), but in the main we actually prefer the informality and (usual) solitude of Aires, or of "wildcamping".

Guest JudgeMental

It's all been said on the other thread really but ill ad a bit.

My wife still working in education so for us it's always has been high season holidays except last summer when she changed jobs snd we had a glorious 6 weeks touring tuscany and croatia. Aires in popular spots are not deserted, far from it, most packed and overflowing. I just look at them as a convenience, somewhere to get your head down on route.

Italy has aires and while some free pay ones tend to be more expensive then france

Tuscany for instance. In temps of 40 deg plus. An aire with no shade @ €20 or a lovely campsite nearbye with pool, shade, classy restuarant for €30. It's a no brainer to us....and just what you need sfter a hard day sightseeing. if you can't camp, spread out on grass, BBQ , swim etc....what is the point exactly......would rather stay in our wonderful garden at home then be sitting in van on a packed aire.

I think some have lost the plot and forgotten ( if they ever new) what the essence of a holiday consists of. So it's not ever been about either or, we use both. And consider ourselves lucky to have access to such a flexible system of travel unlike in this godforsaken country.....

JudgeMental - 2013-05-05 8:52 AM

...what is the point exactly......would rather stay in our wonderful garden at home then be sitting in van on a packed aire.

I think some have lost the plot and forgotten ( if they ever new) what the essence of a holiday consists of. So it's not ever been about either or, we use both. And consider ourselves lucky to have access to such a flexible system of travel unlike in this godforsaken country.....

You make two interesting points Judge; and they both relate to the difference between holidaying and "long terming", we use our van as a holiday machine, several times a year usually, and over period March to October usually, over the channel. We budget as for holidays, i.e. spend a bit more than day to day at home.

If we spent more time touring, looking for better weather than the UK, and a bit more space,then I think we would be looking to make some economies, we would have to.

But we'd still want to find the gems.

I can fully appreciate that spending time in Europe in decent weather beats spending time anywhere you'd rather not be. As UK becomes more crowded, same population density as Holland I think, France in particular looks very attractive, and aires encourage that view. You have to approach holidaying and Long-terming in different ways I think. Unless you have the finances to keep doing it the same.

So; we start the search for "the gems"

Enjoy your trips; we don't start until September this year, but like you, we have a decent plot,

regards

alan b

I think I have posted quite a few photos of Aires and wild spots that no campsite can compare to but clearly they are not all like that.

I tend to do a lot of home work though. Part of the fun for me is doing pre planning. I use www.campingcar-infos.com and google translate to read the reviews. I also use google Earth / maps and streetview to have a good look. I then save all my findings into PDFs for offline usage when travelling. I also have the entire camping car infos site in an offline version and in the sat nav. This coupled with a the All The Aires book usually means we find the good ones.

I also do the same researching wild camping sites.

We have a scooter on a rack which means that we can choose the better less busy Aires away from the hot spots. Aires that are right in the middle of tourist attractions tend to be less attractive and often charge whereas 5 miles up the road you might find a lovely free grassy aire and we have often had some with free EHU.

The scooter is also useful for finding wild spots. I take the sat nav with me and when we find something just record it on the sat nav and come back with the van later.

Water and emptying is never an issue as its just so easy to do over the water.

Its seldom we ever stay in one place more than 3 or 4 days apart from a couple of places in the UK we frequent so Aires suit our travelling preferences.

We are the opposite of you (OP) in how we find campsites. We do occasionally stay on them but our experience in Europe has not been good. The majority have been absolute nightmares with the odd good one. I guess you get tuned in to finding your particular prefered overnight stop. Some are good at finding good sites. We are hopeless but I will find you a good aire or wild spot!

We had a 4 and a bit month tour round some of Europe last year from June to October, spending a lot of the time in France. I lost count but we stayed on over 30 aires in that time (plus some campsites) and although many are not perfect by any means we never felt unsafe and generally found them ideal for a night or twos stopover.

If you want a bar, restaurant, showers etc close by then campsites are the way to go but my wife and I were amazed at the amount of trouble (and expense no doubt) the French go to provide aires which we found were often in prime positions overlooking lakes etc.

You pays your money and takes your choice as they say.

Paul

Hi Gwendolyn,

Really like your posting.

I suppose there are a lot of different types of Aires as there are sites and different reasons to stay on either.

We have stayed on very few Aires and they have mainly been along the Moselle in Germany, a country by which any standards seems motorhome friendly. A lot we have passed in France have been mixed,in the main not good enough to forego the luxuries of a site to stay on but would serve a purpose.

The one thing that nags at me in this whole Aires business is when people say they will only stay on Aires, I am sure that if the position was reversed and it cost 20/30 euros on an Aire and 6/7 euros on a site,their attitudes would alter. Good Sites/Good Aires, but I am sure cash has a lot to do with it and when we all need to save in this economic climate we may soon have to book an Aire or even Wildcamping lol

enjoy whatever

cheers

derek

To me, the attraction or otherwise is heavily influenced by the values and desires of different kinds of travellers.

If you are the kind of person that likes to set up camp and intimately explore a proximate area, or spend lazy days lolling around, with ready access to utilities like those found at home, then aires are unlikely to ever be particularly attractive.

If you are the kind of person that is comfortable with living self-contained on the road, and like to move on, then you are more likely to find aires are a better fit.

There are some very nice ones, there are also some terrible ones. Sometimes they are crowded, sometimes not. Some are incredibly tranquil, some are noisy and no more than a dirty car park in a dirty place with all the trappings of humanities seedy underbelly.

We move on virtually every day when on the road but tend to avoid them. The only time we'll use them is if they are pretty, tranquil,and empty, or are so sparsely populated that they are to all intents and purposes empty. This is sometimes tough as they are extremely popular as a concept and for some reason some people who find really good ones can't wait to tell everyone else in the world to go there with all haste.

They can be extremely rewarding but they are not a given. You have to work at it a bit.

So, you have to be predisposed to enjoy an itinerant and spontaneous style of travel and either have a high tolerance of other motorhomers / residents, or work pretty hard to find a gem - and then hope that no-one parks next to you and cracks up their generator.

As before, though we are only happy when itinerant, we don't often use them. It is much, much easier to find a spot off any kind of formal site that fits our particular needs.

Staying on the vast majority would most definitely not suit us, but for very different reasons to why they might not appeal to others.

Thanks everyone for thoughtful replies – and no arguments. So far anyway!

I am setting off now and may not have internet access on a regular basis, but I will look in when I can to see if anything has been added.

It would seem then that I am not alone in not using Aires [for whatever reason; in my case I haven’t (yet) “entered” the club / found the magic as it were].

Just to respond to a few points…

Lennyhb: Re water emptying on sites: we use a wastemaster type thing, on wheels, and this does away with the need to drive to an emptying point.

Snowie: Like you, we do make use of Aires during the day. Twice, having done that, we stayed the night. But mostly we move on. If I find the Magic Key I will report back!

Judgemental: What you write seems to chime in with how I feel.

Barry: Been “camping” in Europe since the 1980s and that was when we used tents / caravans so we have had plenty of practice in finding sites we like – and ones we don’t, and thus avoid the next time! It is this Aires thing which is so new; we are not in the know!

Derek: of the 5 Aires / Stellplatz at which we have stayed, 3 were in Germany. One, on the Moselle, was really like a campsite in terms of facilities and marked “pitches”. It's not the concept of Aires which bemuses me, but the reality! If I found more like the one on the Moselle, I’d have no hesitation. Mind, that did cost 13 Euros!!!! Just like using ACSI really!

But hey… we are off. And we many use Aires for overnighting. And who knows, we may find one of these “gems”. But what fascinates me is the way the Aires fans seem to plan a trip around the use of Aires.

Not going far tonight – from West Wales to Tredegar House CC site. That is for sheer convenience, as we make slow progress eastwards, for our departure means calling on family en route.

TTFN

Cheers,

Gwen

Guest JudgeMental
Gwendolyn - 2013-05-05 10:59 AM

Thanks everyone for thoughtful replies – and no arguments. So far anyway!

Judgemental: What you write seems to chime in with how I feel.

sounds like you still a tugger at heart, with the water thingy!:D

As Snowie mentioned being away for a "holiday" is a little different from what retired folk do. They go away for longer, most on a fixed income so not so carefree with the spending. and are away in low season, which puts everything in an entirely different perspective. have a great trip and as low season you will be fine everywhere :-D

there was a thread on here once with an associated POI of the 79 best aires in france (I think?), not a shattering number of entries and a shame it did not continue, should have been made a sticky.... but a POI download available, I always use it first if looking for a halt, invariably not one near where we want to stop but hey ho!lol

I cant find it *-) where is DEREK! when you need him.......

Archived