"Aire-ing" my thoughts.

Gwendolyn

Mel B - 2013-05-06 8:54 PM

.....................we may use a campsite occasionally simply because we'll need to do washing etc, or just want a 'chill out' day ... :-D

I like to 'chill out ' wherever we stay, so mainly use sites - but have stayed overnight on some very nice aires.

;-)

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
snowie - 2013-05-07 12:05 PM

starvin marvin - 2013-05-07 11:24 AM

Wow, this all sounds very OCD to me.

Starting to get a bit defensive...........and personal; maybe the thread has run its course IMVHO

regards

alan b

Starting to get a BIT defensive.....and personal.....you may say, but I couldn't possibly comment.

The accepted thinking on internet forums threads, is that they have run their course only when Hitlers name is mentioned. There I've gone and done it.

starvin marvin - 2013-05-07 1:18 PM

Starting to get a bit defensive...........and personal; maybe the thread has run its course IMVHO

regards

alan b

Starting to get a BIT defensive.....and personal.....you may say, but I couldn't possibly comment.

The accepted thinking on internet forums threads, is that they have run their course only when Hitlers name is mentioned. There I've gone and done it.

Hope it works then,

alan b

From Marvin " I have yet to find one of these "gem" aires, but I live in hope that someone, one day, might begin to compile the definitive guide to these aires that describes each one, and ideally shows what they actually look like"

Hi Marvin, i have started a website that does just that! and it's all in English so no translations needed. www.camperstops.co.uk

From Derek "Surely, with several on-line aires-related websites carrying information, comments and photos, plus the Vicarious Books publication, it shouldn't be that difficult to sort the potentially rough from the potentially smooth?"

My website does just that, use this link as an example you can clearly see a recommended on the listing as well as a feelgood indication n the listing, if people think its a good idea to be able to search and sort on this part then i can add it to the website, but it is not really my opinion that counts it the peoples views that make all the difference. Why not help me out, if you see a stopover location on the map that you have stayed on before please comment on it, anyone can post comments without joining...

Please remember that i am still adding to the map each day so not every stopover location is mapped out yet, One day!

Thanks for reading

Keith 

Guest JudgeMental
snowie - 2013-05-07 1:36 PM

starvin marvin - 2013-05-07 1:18 PM

regards

alan b

Hope it works then,

alan b

some just have to have the last word :D

Stupid thread anyway....You cross the channel and have an abundance of choices, which you choose your affair... That I dont "get" polarized opinions in either camp bye the bye. I don't get folk who can vote for the likes of UKIP either, but not much I can do about it, accept watch the country hit the buffers driven by ignorance *-)

Guest 1footinthegrave

I have all the French Aires and municipal sites downloaded and imported into Google earth, I then go into street view which enables you to get a very good idea of location. I am however constantly bemused by this idea of justification for the use of them, what point does it serve, the whole tone of the Ops post was hostile to the idea after all, just stick to sites, then you will not be disappointed. ;-)

1footinthegrave - 2013-05-07 4:00 PM

........................ the whole tone of the Ops post was hostile to the idea after all, ............. . ;-)

I didn't read it that way -

Just shows how we all view these posts differently.

;-)

Guest 1footinthegrave
malc d - 2013-05-07 4:41 PM

........................ the whole tone of the Ops post was hostile to the idea after all, ............. . ;-)

;-)

Well didn't sound very positive to say the least, all dust bowl dumps where they were in fear of their lives :D

Well I for one am happy to share the "gems" we find. I told Gwen earlier to let us know where they are heading and I / we can see if we can come up with something.

I frequently do this when away (generally on MHF as they have a mobile version). Just post something like "Im off to the Ardeche in a weeks time" Any good aires. Somebody will always come back with a few.

Guest 1footinthegrave
I have stayed at a number of French campsites, perhaps not typical I can't be sure, but in our experience is one of small pitches, questionable loo's, and why are so many of the French so loud. Wanting to visit the cathedral at Chartres we stayed on the site adjacent to the walk into the city, we were entertained by a Brit that turned up with three non stop yapping Jack Russells, and apparently this site is often targeted by thieves as well. If that had been our first experience of a site in France it would have been the last, you could easily come to the same conclusion with the wrong choice of aire, no choice is foolproof.

1footinthegrave - 2013-05-07 6:29 PM

and why are so many of the French so loud.

Maybe there is a different sort of person on a site then as practically all the French we have met on Aires have been impeccably behaved and very quiet. Not something I can say about all Brits, Germans and strangely Belgians! :-D

The Germans like to spread out and take over and the Brits are noisy and break the rules. I mean just look at this gypo on an Aire in France!

1772671196_Gypsycamp(Small).JPG.8b18a593e7c243c5393f6826f36504c1.JPG

1footinthegrave - 2013-05-07 4:59 PM

;-)

Well didn't sound very positive to say the least, all dust bowl dumps where they were in fear of their lives :D

You have just proved my point about interpretation sir.

Gwen said she arrived at ONE aire that was " a dusty layby "

...and she ONCE met some Dutch people who were concerned about lads on skateboards.

What you thought she said was they are " ALL dust bowl dumps where they were in fear of their lives "

Not quite the same thing really.

;-)

Guest 1footinthegrave
malc d - 2013-05-07 7:26 PM

;-)

...and she ONCE met some Dutch people who were concerned about lads on skateboards.

What you thought she said was they are " ALL dust bowl dumps where they were in fear of their lives "

Perhaps "lost in translation" then.

;-)

;-)

She does sound best sticking to sites though, only ever found one aire with a shower, we have one in our van, so not an issue. Perhaps comparing Aires with a full facility site is a non starter for many, including Gwen.

1footinthegrave - 2013-05-07 7:31 PM

malc d - 2013-05-07 7:26 PM

;-)

Perhaps "lost in translation" then.

;-)

;-)

She does sound best sticking to sites though, only ever found one aire with a shower, we have one in our van, so not an issue. Perhaps comparing Aires with a full facility site is a non starter for many, including Gwen.

The Aire at Broquies on the Tarn has one free EHU point and a superb wet room shower. All free and fantastic views in a lovely hideaway sleepy village.

We found a Sosta last year high up in the Italian Dolomites at Sauris that had about 12 EHU point a loo and a shower. All free. The scenery around there was just stunning.

Imagine that in the UK. Maybe not!

No internet access tonight. Read posts on my Kindle. Brief reply, for now, on my phone. Thank you for all the positive replies. When back on line will post details of a REALLY attractive Aire.

1foot - you misrepresent me Sir, and thank you to the poster who corrected that. More later. Gwen

Guest 1footinthegrave
Gwendolyn - 2013-05-07 10:03 PM

No internet access tonight. Read posts on my Kindle. Brief reply, for now, on my phone. Thank you for all the positive replies. When back on line will post details of a REALLY attractive Aire.

1foot - you misrepresent me Sir, and thank you to the poster who corrected that. More later. Gwen

I have absolutely no interest in misrepresenting you, only to point out your desire to shower morning and evening you will find the provision of showers almost non existant, Aires are primarily provided for short stopovers, not as a replacement for sites, although we do use them extensively as we rarely stay anywhere very long. At the end of the day it's all down to ones choice of using your vehicle, no way is right or wrong, just different, as we all are.

One thing that has just dawned on me is the use of the shower so frequently (ie twice a day) and therefore the amount of water needed daily. It would probably cost more to use a 'pay aire' and also have to pay for the water too (often the case and costs around €2 a time) than staying on a site!!!! 8-)

Mel B - 2013-05-07 11:20 PM

One thing that has just dawned on me is the use of the shower so frequently (ie twice a day) and therefore the amount of water needed daily. It would probably cost more to use a 'pay aire' and also have to pay for the water too (often the case and costs around €2 a time) than staying on a site!!!! 8-)

You say that but on last years six month trip I dont think we paid for water once. It was either free or included in the price. Again. You just need to pick the right Aires, Sostas or Stellplatz.

1footinthegrave - 2013-05-07 10:33 PM

I have absolutely no interest in misrepresenting you............................., .

It's not only people who get misrepresented on these " aires versus campsites " threads.

Aires are misrepresented by people who don't use them - and campsites are misrepresented by people who don't use them.

That's why the threads always end up going round in circles.

Any new motorhomer looking for good advice is likely to sell his van and stick to hotels !

:-D

Guest JudgeMental

You using data on your phone when in France? ...I hope for your sake you have set up a roaming package *-)

Guest 1footinthegrave
I think it's diabolical that we are expected to pay 2 Euros for water. :D

Mel B - 2013-05-07 11:20 PM

Blimey how much water do you woman use having a shower (lol)

2€ usually gets you 10 min of water (sometimes it's only 50 Lt) in 10 min I can easily fill my 120 litre tank good enough for as least 10 showers plus the washing up etc.

Last trip of 22 nights only paid for water twice.

Archived