"Aire-ing" my thoughts.

Gwendolyn

Brian Kirby - 2013-05-06 12:05 PM

One thing about aires it is worth remembering, Gwen, is that they give the opportunity to visit places during the day. Most clear out after about 10:00am, and only begin re-filling after around 17:00pm.

Not always the case Brian, our experience has been rather different over the short time we've been touring; and we always check the local aire, even when we are staying on a site; if we come across one. We have mostly found them to be pretty well occupied by lunchtime, making us wonder what time people get on the road. I think this is one of the factors that has put us off aires, seems to make the travelling day very short.

I'm sure it's not always the case, but maybe just the "nice" ones?

alan b

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Aire in Sarlat is in the cemetry car park. I've stayed there a few times but be warned as the vans park very closely. The last time I visited there was a barrier on entry. The Aire is well situated and market day is excellent as are the local restaurants.

It is next to the cemetery not the car park for the cemetery, but from most places you can not see the cemetery and in fact the forward aspect is pleasant enough. It is however next to a busy road so expect traffic noise to 11pm and again from 7am. On our visit now vans are not parked too close but yes they can. There is no barrier at entrance now but a ticket machine which works on money or credit card with a charge of 7 euros/night plus 2 euros for water. This is not an aire to use if you have any worries about Aires but is great for visiting Sarlat and we are happy to stay on it for a couple of nights. Free WiFi in tourist office.

snowie - 2013-05-06 1:45 PM

One thing about aires it is worth remembering, Gwen, is that they give the opportunity to visit places during the day. Most clear out after about 10:00am, and only begin re-filling after around 17:00pm.

Not always the case Brian, our experience has been rather different over the short time we've been touring; and we always check the local aire, even when we are staying on a site; if we come across one. We have mostly found them to be pretty well occupied by lunchtime, making us wonder what time people get on the road. I think this is one of the factors that has put us off aires, seems to make the travelling day very short.

alan b

We have found this trip that the Aires are tending to fill up earlier so particular for coastal ones like say Biarritz best to be there for round lunch time. Not surprising when the Guide National 2013 notes there are 300 000 motor homes now based in France and say 3000 Aires!

RoaminRog - 2013-05-04 9:57 PM

Try having a look at www.aire-service-camping-car-panoramique-fr.

There you can actually see a 360 degree view of any aire in France together with its co-ordinates and also the cost, if any, of staying there, before you actually arrive.

Hope this helps!

This is a good site. In fact met the guy who does it yesterday when he came and took the pictures of Sarlet aire with us on it! So should see it and us on it soon.

Guest JudgeMental
robertandjean - 2013-05-06 3:00 PM

There you can actually see a 360 degree view of any aire in France together with its co-ordinates and also the cost, if any, of staying there, before you actually arrive.

Hope this helps!

This is a good site. In fact met the guy who does it yesterday when he came and took the pictures of Sarlet aire with us on it! So should see it and us on it soon.

WOW! You get a real good idea of where you are heading with that site..

it really is a case of what is the best place to stay that suits your needs.., We have been to Sarlat 3-4 times and always stayed on the campsites as on family holiday. and as I like a drink driving in for a meal at night a pain but we have on occasions taken a cab. I would love to stay in town on Aire (really not concerned about a graveyard) but in summer it would be full anyway.

For Brugge my preference again for the Aire, simply because again it is better located. if you have been going around sightseeing all day you may not feel like going to town in evening, so a drink or a meal nearby is handy...the devil is in the detail.

No doubt the debate will rumble on, with no definitive conclusion.

Much depends in one's personal views and the specific, timely requirements.

I must admit, I'm more aligned to Gwen's point of view, though not averse to using aires/stellplatze for convenience, or the better ones for pleasure.

Last night, for instance, we were on our second (13 euro) night on the municipal at Beaugency on the Loire. The river is as full as a frog (the highest I've ever seen, and rising). With the water lapping the banks, we were warned of a yellow alert, and the site exit road is the lowest point. With water coming up through the drains, and the ground, we stuck it out until 9pm, then cracked, and deserted to one of the few vacant places at the aire at Lailly en Val

Free, pleasant enough, and very convenient, (and certainly more relaxing than staying put) but with a surface like wet concrete (still cleaning up).

Would use again for an overnight stop, but not much more.

robertandjean - 2013-05-06 2:57 PM

snowie - 2013-05-06 1:45 PM

alan b

We have found this trip that the Aires are tending to fill up earlier so particular for coastal ones like say Biarritz best to be there for round lunch time. Not surprising when the Guide National 2013 notes there are 300 000 motor homes now based in France and say 3000 Aires!

Interesting. I'm not claiming expertise, as we only do this when it is the only way to get within walking distance of out-of-the-way destinations with limited alternative parking and no site. However, we haven't yet found a problem with space, so I still think it is at least worth a try when circumstance and opportunity coincide. After all, the alternative is what?

Hope this helps!

Hi Rog - welcome to the mad house!

The website you're referring to is actually:

www.aire-service-camping-car-panoramique.fr

But if you search for it with google you can get it translated:

translated version

It’s amazing how this subject always attracts lots of posts. And it is a subject which seems to polarise opinion . Just caught up on reading the latest. And will make some observations:

Yes, perhaps some of you are right – about my penchant for the “tugging” way of life that is. Hardly surprising as we still have a caravan, which we use for trips in the UK. Sometimes use our van though even in the UK… anyway, what wrong with caravanners? I’m a Tugger Too!

As for meeting like minded people when wild camping …. That’s a bit kind of “them and us” isn’t it? A bit Orwellian…. Not sure what the chances are of my finding a Welsh speaking, rugby following, antique collecting, Jane Austen and Barbara Pym novels fan, crime fiction aficionado, and very keen Shakespeare enthusiast pitched next to me on a campsite, let alone on an Aire or if [should I do it] wildcamping….. one item off that list would be good….

And 1foot… it’s not a “preconception” about Aires to turn up, and then and decide I don’t like it. That’s actively choosing, and rejecting, an individual Aire.

The description of campsites is not one I recognise from out of high season travel. No hordes of kids. Tuggers yes…

Yes… O/H has downloaded the POIs for Aires. I leave the technical stuff to him.

We do use Aires a lot in the way Brian describes. Indeed it was a post ages ago saying the same which led us to take up that suggestion.

But >>>>> something else has struck me… once, on this Forum, someone posted that campsites are not for them…. Then later posted that an Aire they had used was a former campsite. So, if a campsite has metamorphosed into an Aire, it’s OK. But if it has not undergone a change of identity, it is not??? No wonder I get bemused!!! And amused.

Really enjoying reading your views and experiences. Thanks a lot.

We cross tomorrow [but maybe Bruges is off…. had another change of mind about where we are heading; dithering again….. have to decide soon] and will keep all options open. Will keep an open mind. Never say never.

Cheers

Gwen

Gwendolyn - 2013-05-06 7:21 PM

We cross tomorrow [but maybe Bruges is off…. had another change of mind about where we are heading; dithering again….. have to decide soon] and will keep all options open. Will keep an open mind. Never say never.

The advantages of not having a site booked and paid for eh?

Hope the sun shines for you Gwendolyn - have a happy and safe trip and -

There are no right or wrong ways - just different!

Gwendolyn - 2013-05-05 11:19 PM

2 replies now have said that I am “missing the point”.

Yes... BIG TIME. I cannot see the point of staying somewhere uncongenial. And, as I say repeatedly, I am looking for the wonderful Aires about which people wax so lyrical. Found a couple of Stellplatz in Germany that were fine. But they cost as much as a site.

Gwen, you are making one BIG assumption and that is that aires are 'uncongenial', yes there are some which are just car parks, but there are lots that are not. We've stayed on loads over the years and most of them have been in lovely locations. This is what we prefer as we don't tend to 'stop' until later in the day so go where is convenient for us for the night. We also use aires which are located in places we want to be, such as near a lake, near small towns and villages, or just wild camped. We particularly enjoy some of the ones near to pretty/interesting villages/towns that we've enjoyed during the day as we like to go round them again in the early evening whilst walking the dogs as they often take on a 'magical ambience' which can be in stark contrast to the daytime hussle and bussle and I also like to take photos of them during the day and evening to show the contrasting 'life' of the places.

The aires book we use gives not only 'standard' type aires, but also those which are private such as part of a campsite, or belong to a restaurant etc, as well as 'fully fledged' campsites too. We use the book to help us plan our travels as generally if there are aires/campsites it often means there is something in that area worth going there to see but it doesn't DICTATE where we ultimately go.

We rarely use campsites though for several reasons: we prefer not to be 'stuck' there, by that I mean if we find that we don't like the place it isn't easy to move on that night, especially as on a lot (if not all of them) you pay the following morning and they keep your passport or CCI card when you sign-in, so even if we wanted to leave we can't (obviously we'd still have to be honest and pay regardless); we actually feel more 'on show' on a campsite than on an aire; we've certainly experienced a lot more roudiness on a campsite, both from adults late at night and from kids running round until well past dark; plus as a lot of campsites have restrictions on dogs, usually only allowing 1 or 2 maximum (we have 3) this can be a problem anyway, also the cost of the dogs staying can often be nearly as much as the normal campsite fee, so a €12-€15 euro site can suddenly be nearly double! I can understand the appeal of having a 'base' campsite for a few days and being able to relax and set up your 'home' pitch, but it just isn't what we like to do. We're not the sort who take showers all the time so having the facilities of a campsite 'on tap' (sorry for the pun!) isn't a major requirement for us either, and we haven't had a problem getting water or dumping our waste - sometimes we have to pay for this which is fair enough as it costs money to have bornes put in, other times it is free, we too have enjoyed free electricity on some aires but don't abuse it.

By staying at aires we spend more money in the vicinity of it, using the shops, fuel stations etc, although we rarely eat out as we prefer to buy the fresh local produce and then enjoy cooking and eating it whilst relaxing in our own van. We do however interact with the locals more than we would on a campsite, on one aire which was right next to the beach in France we had a lovely chat to a French fisherman and helped him push his boat out, on another I met an old chap who used to work on the ferries and he enjoyed practising his English on my as I practised my French! We've met some lovely people on aires, from all countries and we've all just 'got on', in contrast on campsites people tend to keep much more to themselves.

We may get out our table and chairs and sit out for an hour or two on an aire (so long as it doesn't cause a problem) but that's it as we like to be active when on holiday so by the time we've visited places, fed the dogs and us, washed up and walked the dogs, we usually just want to spend an hour chilling on the bed watching a DVD with the dogs snuggling around us, before going to the land of zzzzzzz ...

There are lovely aires out there, but you just haven't found them yet and to be honest, I don't think you've really been looking for them either, just judging them by the ones you've accidentally stumbled upon by the sounds of it. The best ones may need you to drive a little bit out of your way and not be on the main route through a village/town/area, but often they are much better placed for you to be able to enjoy those villages/towns/areas much more than staying on a campsite which is often located quite a distance away.

As we're going away for a much longer time shortly (7 weeks) we may use a campsite occasionally simply because we'll need to do washing etc, or just want a 'chill out' day ... but then again we might not ... we'll just do what we feel is best at the time. :-D

Gwendolyn wrote:

"Not sure what the chances are of my finding a Welsh speaking, rugby following, antique collecting, Jane Austen and Barbara Pym novels fan, crime fiction aficionado, and very keen Shakespeare enthusiast pitched next to me on a campsite, let alone on an Aire or if [should I do it] wildcamping….. one item off that list would be good…. "

Your not my wife are you? She is all of the above except antique collecting.

Mel B - 2013-05-06 8:54 PM

Yes... BIG TIME. I cannot see the point of staying somewhere uncongenial. And, as I say repeatedly, I am looking for the wonderful Aires about which people wax so lyrical. Found a couple of Stellplatz in Germany that were fine. But they cost as much as a site.

Gwen, you are making one BIG assumption and that is that aires are 'uncongenial', yes there are some which are just car parks, but there are lots that are not. .................

If I dare! :-) What I think Gwen meant by that comment, was that some folk give the impression that they would stay on anything called an aire, congenial or not, in preference to staying on any campsite. Maybe that is their attitude, maybe they just overstate their preferences, but I agree with Gwen. I don't "get it" either. :-)

Many paint posters campsites as crowded, noisy, regimented places, while extolling the virtues of aires. So, in the interests of balance I have to say that French (and almost anyone else's) campsites, especially in the school summer holidays, near popular destinations, if of the family type that provide "animations" are, indeed crowded and noisy, and can then be a bit regimented. However, I also think these posters delude themselves as to the conditions on out of season sites.

We tend to travel in the "shoulder" seasons and I have yet to visit a campsite anywhere at these times of the year that matched this description. We got our first van eight years ago. Just in those past eight years we have stayed, for periods of anything between one night and five nights, but generally only two or three nights, on over three hundred sites.

Only a handful were approaching full, none were noisy as a result of rowdiness - though some suffered noise from outside the site, and none struck me a regimented - though all had common sense rules that were mostly well respected, but in either event were not "enforced".

Some long time back I made a very similar enquiry to Gwen's, asking if folk were willing to share the locations of their "little gem" aires, by adding them to a string I tried starting for that purpose. The response was much generalisation, but very little in the way of concrete information. The general attitude seemed to be either "if we told you, everyone would go there, and it would be full next time we want to visit" or, "you just have to look around and find your own gems". I plan ahead, and have no inclination to arrive somewhere I won't be staying. I prefer to select a destination (town, village, whatever) to stop (one night or more) that looks pleasant and interesting and, be it a site or an aire, stop for the night in a place I that we will find at least agreeable.

I can get detailed information on campsites from any number of sources so, in the absence of information on aires beyond a (often) rough indication of where they are (frequently without GPS coordinates), I visit very few, but with no intention of staying overnight. So, to date, I have yet to find one of these "gem" aires, but I live in hope that someone, one day, might begin to compile the definitive guide to these aires that describes each one, and ideally shows what they actually look like. It sounds a little as though Robert and Jean may be about to embark on something of the kind and, if they do, I for one shall be hugely grateful to them.

The bit I really don't "get" is the idea of arriving somewhere and looking, and then deciding to move on, or deciding to stay anyhow, but with alarm on and all doors and windows shut fast "just in case". When we travel, it is to a destination we have decided in advance to visit, because it is where we want to go. So, we select with care, research how to get there and where to stay when there, with the expectation that when we arrive the place we shall stay in will not disappoint. It doesn't work every time, but our "hit" rate over those 300+ sites has been in single figures. It is that level of certainty that I should like to be able to achieve with aires.

Guest pelmetman
To be honest Gwen ;-).....................Its all about doing IT...............the more you do IT...........the more relaxed about IT......you get ;-).....................said the drunken bum sat at home who would like to be out doing it :'( .........Again >:-)

"But >>>>> something else has struck me… once, on this Forum, someone posted that campsites are not for them…. Then later posted that an Aire they had used was a former campsite. So, if a campsite has metamorphosed into an Aire, it’s OK. But if it has not undergone a change of identity, it is not??? No wonder I get bemused!!! And amused. "

I am similarly amused and bemused by your attitude as this reference probably relates to an comment I may have made some time ago. Unfortunately my limitted experience of campsites, admittedly on high season, was not the best and the MH brigade tends to be more the elder generation(Edit more mature) on aires so yes, the area has undergone a change of identity.

Its all about choice and what you are happy with which appears very difficult for some to achieve

Might be best if we could persuade the French authourities to change the name from " aire " to " basic campsite " because, really, that's what they are - the only difference is that they are exclusive to motorhomes.

( Some now even have a reception office )

It would save a lot of arguments.

:-D

Brian Kirby - 2013-05-06 11:31 PM

...Some long time back I made a very similar enquiry to Gwen's, asking if folk were willing to share the locations of their "little gem" aires, by adding them to a string I tried starting for that purpose. The response was much generalisation, but very little in the way of concrete information. The general attitude seemed to be either "if we told you, everyone would go there, and it would be full next time we want to visit" or, "you just have to look around and find your own gems". I plan ahead, and have no inclination to arrive somewhere I won't be staying. I prefer to select a destination (town, village, whatever) to stop (one night or more) that looks pleasant and interesting and, be it a site or an aire, stop for the night in a place I that we will find at least agreeable.

I can get detailed information on campsites from any number of sources so, in the absence of information on aires beyond a (often) rough indication of where they are (frequently without GPS coordinates), I visit very few, but with no intention of staying overnight. So, to date, I have yet to find one of these "gem" aires, but I live in hope that someone, one day, might begin to compile the definitive guide to these aires that describes each one, and ideally shows what they actually look like. It sounds a little as though Robert and Jean may be about to embark on something of the kind and, if they do, I for one shall be hugely grateful to them...

It might be more useful if there were a list of aires that people have on their 'I'd rather not bother' list. I offer the following

http://www.aire-service-camping-car-panoramique.mobi/panoramique/ille-et-vilaine/35-bains-sur-oust/

http://www.aire-service-camping-car-panoramique.fr/finistere/29-la-martyre

http://www.aire-service-camping-car-panoramique.mobi/panoramique/sarthe/72-la-fleche/

There's nothing actually 'wrong' with these, but it should be plain from the views why I'd prefer to overnight elsewhere.

I'm not convinced that it's impossible (or even that difficult) to plan a route in France that includes only overnight stops at 'unknown' aires with a reasonable chance that these will be agreeable.

Plainly, if no planning is done, there's the possibility that you'll end up on an aire where you'd rather not be, but that can also be true of campsites. In late Autumn last year, when flooding was rife in France, we were unable to use a 'gem' aire we'd planned to stop at and the campsite we drove to as our fall-back choice was a quagmire. Most campsites had now shut for the winter and we overnighted here

http://www.campingcar-infos.com/Francais/airepda.php?numid=15191&Localit%E9=HEDE

This is just a gravelled parking area with no motorhome services, but it's quiet, with masses of space and pleasant walks along the canal banks. Whether it's actually "superbe" is a matter of taste and what one's requirements are, but that will equally be true for campsites.

(Surely, with several on-line aires-related websites carrying information, comments and photos, plus the Vicarious Books publication, it shouldn't be that difficult to sort the potentially rough from the potentially smooth?)

Great post Mel, really sums up what Aires are about.

Brian yes we will have a go at putting together a collection of Aires gems but might be a little while yet. We have in past started threads on here and other forums for people to share good Aires but often found many reluctant to share or use thread as a means to declare all Aires car parks. But this thread suggests a more positive approach might be in the 'aire' so let's hope so.

And yes there are some poor Aires. Worst we remember was in Italy at Levento . The aire or sosta here is right next to a petrol station but the worst part was the five church clocks that struck the quarter hours all night long but we're not synchronised! Not much sleep that night.

Mike88 - 2013-05-06 10:22 PM

Gwendolyn wrote:

"Not sure what the chances are of my finding a Welsh speaking, rugby following, antique collecting, Jane Austen and Barbara Pym novels fan, crime fiction aficionado, and very keen Shakespeare enthusiast pitched next to me on a campsite, let alone on an Aire or if [should I do it] wildcamping….. one item off that list would be good…. "

Your not my wife are you? She is all of the above except antique collecting.

She collected you!

Brian Kirby - 2013-05-06 11:31 PM

Mel B - 2013-05-06 8:54 PM

Gwen, you are making one BIG assumption and that is that aires are 'uncongenial', yes there are some which are just car parks, but there are lots that are not. .................

If I dare! :-) What I think Gwen meant by that comment, was that some folk give the impression that they would stay on anything called an aire, congenial or not, in preference to staying on any campsite. Maybe that is their attitude, maybe they just overstate their preferences, but I agree with Gwen. I don't "get it" either. :-)

Many paint posters campsites as crowded, noisy, regimented places, while extolling the virtues of aires. So, in the interests of balance I have to say that French (and almost anyone else's) campsites, especially in the school summer holidays, near popular destinations, if of the family type that provide "animations" are, indeed crowded and noisy, and can then be a bit regimented. However, I also think these posters delude themselves as to the conditions on out of season sites.

We tend to travel in the "shoulder" seasons and I have yet to visit a campsite anywhere at these times of the year that matched this description. We got our first van eight years ago. Just in those past eight years we have stayed, for periods of anything between one night and five nights, but generally only two or three nights, on over three hundred sites.

Only a handful were approaching full, none were noisy as a result of rowdiness - though some suffered noise from outside the site, and none struck me a regimented - though all had common sense rules that were mostly well respected, but in either event were not "enforced".

Some long time back I made a very similar enquiry to Gwen's, asking if folk were willing to share the locations of their "little gem" aires, by adding them to a string I tried starting for that purpose. The response was much generalisation, but very little in the way of concrete information. The general attitude seemed to be either "if we told you, everyone would go there, and it would be full next time we want to visit" or, "you just have to look around and find your own gems". I plan ahead, and have no inclination to arrive somewhere I won't be staying. I prefer to select a destination (town, village, whatever) to stop (one night or more) that looks pleasant and interesting and, be it a site or an aire, stop for the night in a place I that we will find at least agreeable.

I can get detailed information on campsites from any number of sources so, in the absence of information on aires beyond a (often) rough indication of where they are (frequently without GPS coordinates), I visit very few, but with no intention of staying overnight. So, to date, I have yet to find one of these "gem" aires, but I live in hope that someone, one day, might begin to compile the definitive guide to these aires that describes each one, and ideally shows what they actually look like. It sounds a little as though Robert and Jean may be about to embark on something of the kind and, if they do, I for one shall be hugely grateful to them.

The bit I really don't "get" is the idea of arriving somewhere and looking, and then deciding to move on, or deciding to stay anyhow, but with alarm on and all doors and windows shut fast "just in case". When we travel, it is to a destination we have decided in advance to visit, because it is where we want to go. So, we select with care, research how to get there and where to stay when there, with the expectation that when we arrive the place we shall stay in will not disappoint. It doesn't work every time, but our "hit" rate over those 300+ sites has been in single figures. It is that level of certainty that I should like to be able to achieve with aires.

Wow, this all sounds very OCD to me.

Archived