"Aire-ing" my thoughts.

Gwendolyn

sshortcircuit - 2013-05-08 9:23 AM

"Any new motorhomer looking for advice is likely to sell his van and stick to hotels ! " I was begining to think that was what the OP was about :-D

FWIW, I disagree. Besides, it is a bit disingenuous to ascribe motives to someone else's posts. I think Gwen was posting a genuine question, and would like to find, and take advantage of, aires that she regards as congenial. So, too, from time to time, would I.

Someone else opined that this desire for a congenial location appeared reminiscent of OCD. So be it. What it is about seeking out agreeable stopping places that is either obsessive or compulsive I fail to understand, but for someone who has no such desire, I guess it may look that way. Or perhaps we just meet our travel objectives by different means?

The main difference between Gwen and me (gender apart! :-)), is that she prefers to wander unplanned, whereas I prefer to plan ahead. That makes selecting stopping places more difficult for her than it does for me, as she will tend to arrive at a place and then look for that agreeable stopover. That, I suspect, is why she usually opts for a campsite, as the risk of disappointment is lower. One can easily spend time before travelling running through good campsites, because there are a number of guides that sort the wheat from the chaff.

On the other hand, to find a good aire involves sifting all those in a given area to identify the wheat and the chaff, and then discarding the chaff. It simply takes longer than I am prepared to spend, so I too largely opt for sites, using aires only for daytime parking.

If Robert and Jean succeed in their venture, and can produce a list of the "wheat" aires, they will have at least two fans, though I strongly suspect rather more than two gained from among those who are reluctant to concede that some aires are far from idyllic - whether free or charging.

Just before anyone veers off to the extreme - as some seem pre-programmed to do - I freely acknowledged that some campsites can become rough too, and if so, we move on. Part of the plan is wherever possible to have "another horse round the back". I like to enjoy where I stop, I have the facilities and the ability to reduce the risk of stopping in a place I shall not enjoy, so I use them. Doesn't everyone?

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest JudgeMental
Not with aires I dont....simply somewhere to park up, go for a walk, a beer, eat out or failing that back to the van to eat, read then sleep. As you cant spread out and camp, anywhere within reason will do. But I dont like empty ones as security in numbers, once a few other souls around good enough for us...

Brian Kirby - 2013-05-08 11:54 AM

Someone else opined that this desire for a congenial location appeared reminiscent of OCD. So be it. What it is about seeking out agreeable stopping places that is either obsessive or compulsive I fail to understand, but for someone who has no such desire, I guess it may look that way. Or perhaps we just meet our travel objectives by different means?

Just before anyone veers off to the extreme - as some seem pre-programmed to do - I freely acknowledged that some campsites can become rough too, and if so, we move on. Part of the plan is wherever possible to have "another horse round the back". I like to enjoy where I stop, I have the facilities and the ability to reduce the risk of stopping in a place I shall not enjoy, so I use them. Doesn't everyone?

I agree with what Brian says, and make the following post in support of the OP, and would also say that I have noted the suggested "gems" provided by others contributing to this thread and will plot them on a map, ready for the planning stage of our next French trip.

At this time, I don't go a bundle on Aires , though as I've said, I'd like to come across some "gems". That said, I think the best way to find one of these gems is to plan. Consult reference books and websites, trawl through previous threads on forums, ask friends for suggestions, and then check it out on Google Earth. Not very spontaneous though is it?

If it then turns out to be not as hoped, then we'd have to have a fallback plan, so what's the point?

I'd rather build my holidays around France Passion sites; but even then a backup is useful, if you can't find the FP, or you find it and no matter how appetising the produce might have sounded, if the surroundings are grotty, we move on.

The other aspect of aires that doesn't appeal, even for one night, is the apparently enforced close proximity to your neighbours, on many popular aires. Maybe it's a throwback to my early life in a terrace of two-up, two-downs? I now prefer a bit of space.

That said, we'll continue to search for nice stopovers,

alan b

Thank you TRACKER for your good wishes.

BRIAN K –where he said “if I dare” he got it spot on really – he expressed what I was trying to say better than I could.

MIKE – don’t know who the chap sitting next to me is then….

1FOOT – you know well that I meant you misrepresented me when you asserted that I characterized all Aires as being dumps, and that I was in fear of my life. Nothing to do with showers.

BARRY – thank you for your offer of info re Aires. I may well take you up on that.

JUDGEMENTAL – yes, I do have a package sorted for my phone. It’s a PAYG scheme so I don’t go home to horrendous bills.

I hope that my OP was not “hostile” to the idea of Aires. It was meant to be a genuine request for a sharing of information. I have camped and caravanned for 60+ years. And motorhomed for only 3. So it is perhaps understandable that my knowledge of sites is quite wide, and that when I think of “camping” I immediately envisage sites. Being introduced to some good Aires would simply extend the options for us, that’s all. It’s true I like to relax on a site for a few days. But there’s no hostility to Aires in that surely?

Now….. an Aire I loved was one we stayed at last year at St Cirq Lapopie in the Lot Valley. I found it to be an idyllic spot, right on the banks of the river. Places were marked out by logs and picnic tables were provided. Some places were along the river bank. Around the corner was a large field where other motorhomers were taking advantage of the evening sun. No car park feel about that Aire. It was relaxing, restful and quite a perfect spot – an oasis of greenery. Cost was – then – 7 Euros a night. We paid 2 for water. Showers were available at the boating station further along the river bank – 2 Euros. But we used our own. The cost to us was more than we paid at an excellent Municipal site the night before, and didn’t include EHU of course. But that was immaterial, as I loved it there. The only drawback is, I suspect, it’s a long steep climb up to the village. We parked up there to explore, and then drove down to river level. In fact, we headed for the campsite there, saw the Aire which was adjacent, and stayed there instead. Serendipity!

SO …. If Robert and Jean, and if Barry, are logged on and know this Aire, or any others who know it, ... can you suggest more like it? I’d be happy to find others such as that one. Honest!!!

Cheers

Gwen

Gwendolyn - 2013-05-08 7:08 PM

Now….. an Aire I loved was one we stayed at last year at St Cirq Lapopie in the Lot Valley. I found it to be an idyllic spot, right on the banks of the river. Places were marked out by logs and picnic tables were provided. Some places were along the river bank. Around the corner was a large field where other motorhomers were taking advantage of the evening sun. No car park feel about that Aire. It was relaxing, restful and quite a perfect spot – an oasis of greenery. Cost was – then – 7 Euros a night. We paid 2 for water. Showers were available at the boating station further along the river bank – 2 Euros. But we used our own. The cost to us was more than we paid at an excellent Municipal site the night before, and didn’t include EHU of course. But that was immaterial, as I loved it there. The only drawback is, I suspect, it’s a long steep climb up to the village. We parked up there to explore, and then drove down to river level. In fact, we headed for the campsite there, saw the Aire which was adjacent, and stayed there instead. Serendipity!

Cheers

Gwen

Ooooo ... I know exactly where you mean! We went that way a few years ago to see St Cirq Lapopie and got 'distracted' by the lovely riverside location on the way too it ... we spent a glorious afternoon there in our canoes and swimming (40+ degrees) it was wonderful. B-)

lennyhb - 2013-05-08 10:13 AM

Mel B - 2013-05-07 11:20 PM

One thing that has just dawned on me is the use of the shower so frequently (ie twice a day) and therefore the amount of water needed daily. It would probably cost more to use a 'pay aire' and also have to pay for the water too (often the case and costs around €2 a time) than staying on a site!!!! 8-)

Blimey how much water do you woman use having a shower (lol)

2€ usually gets you 10 min of water (sometimes it's only 50 Lt) in 10 min I can easily fill my 120 litre tank good enough for as least 10 showers plus the washing up etc.

Last trip of 22 nights only paid for water twice.

Not me ... I'm very frugal with water and will have to be even more frugal as our new van only has half the tank capacity (66 litres) of our previous one! *-)

Mel B - 2013-05-08 8:36 PM

Cheers

Gwen

Ooooo ... I know exactly where you mean! We went that way a few years ago to see St Cirq Lapopie and got 'distracted' by the lovely riverside location on the way too it ... we spent a glorious afternoon there in our canoes and swimming (40+ degrees) it was wonderful. B-)

Yes its a nice village. We didnt stay on that Aire though. There was one a couple of miles down the road (free!). Could have been Bouzies possibly. Dont remember anything outstanding in that area but some quite nice ones.

Some of the best Aires we have found have been in Aveyron region. It never seems to get busy there even in peak season. Its a bit like the North Yorkshire Dales but even less populated and 30 degrees in summer! I think a lot of the less busy regions maybe try that bit harder to attract visitors.

.....not the brightest of photographs, but quite atmospheric, and agreed, a lovely spot - this was Easter 2006.

;-)

StCirq.jpg.0db6edc01396f7bcb531845b7b57ad36.jpg

Guest 1footinthegrave

There is one fatal flaw in this thread, that is one mans meat is another's poison, on the cover picture of a French aires book I bought a couple of years ago was an Aire described as one of the best in France, if that had been the first we had visited it would have been the last. :-S

another that featured what appeared to have nothing but an ugly agricultural building, was in fact a very pleasant spot indeed. ;-)

1footinthegrave - 2013-05-08 11:07 PM

There is one fatal flaw in this thread, that is one mans meat is another's poison, on the cover picture of a French aires book I bought a couple of years ago was an Aire described as one of the best in France, if that had been the first we had visited it would have been the last. :-S

another that featured what appeared to have nothing but an ugly agricultural building, was in fact a very pleasant spot indeed. ;-)

Your right. The Aires book never ceases to amaze me. They code some of the Aires as "Really Nice Aire" by highlighting them in Orange. What some people think is a really nice Aire is not always what I would class as a really nice Aire and there must be dozens that we have been on and have been flabergasted that it hasnt been highlighted as being really nice.

After a while you tend to be able to read between the lines. I always compare the book with the comments on camping car infos and by combining that with our now vast experience of Aires, sostas etc I can pretty much get a good idea if we will like it or not. Not always right. I guess many who are used to campsites can do the same thing but I always cock them up.

I prefer small Aires with just a few vans but many prefer aires with 100 or more. Judge made a comment about not wanting to be alone on an aire (the big Jessy! (lol) ). I quite like having them to myself.

So yes. We are all different in what we like which is just as well as otherwise we would all be cramming on the same sites, aires or wild spots.

I still think its a worthwhile and interesting thread though as its got to be useful to listen to other peoples ideas of what they enjoy and many who havent considered an Aire in the past might now.

Guest JudgeMental
We stayed on an aire who's name escapes me in northern France (on route italy) Large town carpark/aire behind buildings, large area, lots of trees behind town square. No one else there. Had some chips and a beer and back to bed..in the morning walking into town for some bread, what must have been a coach must have pulled in and jettisoned its toilet holding tank all over the lower car park the stench and amount of stuff was unbelievable. We got in van and drove away ASAP. I don't think this would happen if a few vans around. Plus like said earlier, there is security in numbers particularly in a public place. we have stayed on other aires where local hooligans think driving by sounding horns the greatest fun....and Mels van was attacked on one, with her in it! So please while aires are free or cheap there are associated risks that you dont get with campsites. The aire obsessives just a bunch of cheapskates IMO who will go to great length to justify their choice, which is laughable to be honest!lol

As above; again.

I know a few of the aires R&J have posted good reviews about but I've only ever stayed on two as the others were too sardine-y.

I've been to others that have been recommended or have had glowing online reviews and, upon seeing them, just kept on driving.

What's good for some sucks for others.

And all this changes anyway if you are just wanting to kip and aren't even slightly interested in engaging with the area outside of the 'van door.

The best three I've ever stayed on (pretty, tranquil, no one else there) were found by pure fluke, two of them weren't even in the guide book we were using at the time.

You could probably eliminate a few by rigorous planning, but you'd be lucky to find 'gems' by so doing. Furthermore the same aire itself can be very different from one day to the next, even the weather makes the experience different.

Pot luck.

Eddie to be fair the attack on Mel you mention happened in Holland not France, where there might well be an anti camping-car attitude not found in France. The toilet dumping although unpleasant could just as well have happened on say a service area and not really an argument against Aires. We never have had problems with people driving round the aire blowing horns, should think local near by residents would soon complain. Do tire of the cheapskate comment. As stated many times we use Aires because we want to, nothing to do with cost.

Crinkly sorry some of our recommendations did not meet your expectations but we do try to make clear if an aire we mention might mean you have to park close to other vans. This does not bother us but if is a concern then again Aires might be best avoided. To be fair Crinkly France is not really your favourite country is it?

Hi R&J, don't sweat it, I don't hunt down aires and don't keep a list of recommended ones - I haven't done that for years, I just happen to know some of the ones you have promoted and some of them didn't suit me at the time I was there. I'm more than OK with France, it's nice enough to potter about in, or through. But the world doesn't end there for me, that's all. My own aire technique is to bumble to an area that looks promising and on 'arrival' start to look for somewhere to overnight. Usually that's off any kind of formally designated area, occasionally, if there's an aire there and it's up to it, we'll use that.

crinklystarfish - 2013-05-09 8:19 AM

As above; again.

I know a few of the aires R&J have posted good reviews about but I've only ever stayed on two as the others were too sardine-y.

I've been to others that have been recommended or have had glowing online reviews and, upon seeing them, just kept on driving.

And all this changes anyway if you are just wanting to kip and aren't even slightly interested in engaging with the area outside of the 'van door.

The best three I've ever stayed on (pretty, tranquil, no one else there) were found by pure fluke, two of them weren't even in the guide book we were using at the time.

You could probably eliminate a few by rigorous planning, but you'd be lucky to find 'gems' by so doing. Furthermore the same aire itself can be very different from one day to the next, even the weather makes the experience different.

Pot luck.

This is a good string Gwen, and is now turning nicely philosophical. The above comment that "if you are just wanting to kip and aren't even slightly interested in engaging with the area outside of the 'van door", for example.

I won't say never, but very, very, seldom do we stop in a place we don't want to "engage with". We tend to choose the stopovers so that we can do a bit of "engaging". It's why we go. So, another difference.

I also note than a number of the pictures posted are the view FROM the aire, and not the view OF the aire. To us, the appearance of the aire (or campsite) itself is at least as important as the view from it. If we want great, expansive, grand landscapes, we just go for a walk to see what is on offer! That possibility is one of the reasons for choosing the places in which we stay.

So, just to underline what crinkly is saying, we all look for different things. Beauty is famously in the eye of the beholder. We don't exactly seek beauty with the van, though it is very rewarding when it is found, but we do appreciate our immediate environment being reasonably attractive, nominally tended, litter free, and reasonably clean and tidy.

The unkempt out of season campsite is on equal terms with the similarly unkempt aire in this respect. Some grass, a few shrubs, some trees for shade, a bit of space and a reasonable degree of privacy around the van is sufficient. A few other folk to chat to helps, so long as their vans don't invade our "personal" space! :-)

Guest 1footinthegrave
Brian Kirby - 2013-05-09 6:53 PM

crinklystarfish - 2013-05-09 8:19 AM

As above; again.

Pot luck.

This is a good string Gwen, and is now turning nicely philosophical. The above comment that "if you are just wanting to kip and aren't even slightly interested in engaging with the area outside of the 'van door", for example.

I won't say never, but very, very, seldom do we stop in a place we don't want to "engage with". We tend to choose the stopovers so that we can do a bit of "engaging". It's why we go. So, another difference.

I also note than a number of the pictures posted are the view FROM the aire, and not the view OF the aire. To us, the appearance of the aire (or campsite) itself is at least as important as the view from it. If we want great, expansive, grand landscapes, we just go for a walk to see what is on offer! That possibility is one of the reasons for choosing the places in which we stay.

So, just to underline what crinkly is saying, we all look for different things. Beauty is famously in the eye of the beholder. We don't exactly seek beauty with the van, though it is very rewarding when it is found, but we do appreciate our immediate environment being reasonably attractive, nominally tended, litter free, and reasonably clean and tidy.

The unkempt out of season campsite is on equal terms with the similarly unkempt aire in this respect. Some grass, a few shrubs, some trees for shade, a bit of space and a reasonable degree of privacy around the van is sufficient. A few other folk to chat to helps, so long as their vans don't invade our "personal" space! :-)

Any good ? I have a whole load of them, but don't wish to labour the point ;-) they are not all car parks, and very often better for space than quite a few official sites if your selective. ;-) The one on the canal had hot showers that were accessed for 2 Euros.

AireclosetoLestruthof.jpg.64846032f47fcbda15445d820008881b.jpg

AireDordogneresized.jpg.b43c990b73b80df243ff7bc2e5ae760f.jpg

AireNormandy.jpg.3dac20be766935244ef92d0136271a71.jpg

AireSomme2.jpg.d33da0abc9195ad0b18a4ec87b1173ee.jpg

705479756_AirejustsouthofCalais.jpg.e4345e82ba3b43bac3426385f5adbb3f.jpg

1606600044_VanboatAire.jpg.6513560eacbe3cd1d33be99082a87b61.jpg

1footinthegrave - 2013-05-09 6:58 PM

.....................Any good ? I have a whole load of them, but don't wish to labour the point ;-) they are not all car parks, and very often better for space than quite a few official sites if your selective. ;-) The one on the canal had hot showers that were accessed for 2 Euros.

Yep! :-) They look about right by me! I'd stop on any of those quite happily.

Didn't much like the look of sambukashot's one, though. Crowded, vans too close, and by the Seine is, in our experience, noisy because the barges run pretty well all night! Chug, chug! :-D

Brian if you think the vans are close at la maillery sur seine and it's noisy overnight then try st Jean de luze, dept 66, on second thoughts don't. In fact not sure anyone should. We stayed one night, almost burnt clutch out getting in to amazingly tight space (I gave up and let Jean do it) then hardly slept with main line trains, one side, busy main road other and church bells for amusement! La mal on other hand we often stay on, in fact heading there in morning, and since charges introduced find much less busy and yes there is river traffic but nothing like the Rhine.

Guest 1footinthegrave
Brian Kirby - 2013-05-09 7:25 PM

1footinthegrave - 2013-05-09 6:58 PM

.....................Any good ? I have a whole load of them, but don't wish to labour the point ;-) they are not all car parks, and very often better for space than quite a few official sites if your selective. ;-) The one on the canal had hot showers that were accessed for 2 Euros.

Yep! :-) They look about right by me! I'd stop on any of those quite happily.

Didn't much like the look of sambukashot's one, though. Crowded, vans too close, and by the Seine is, in our experience, noisy because the barges run pretty well all night! Chug, chug! :-D

Know what you mean, we stayed on one right by the waters edge, but I must say the experience of seeing the huge ships navigating a river was a unique experience for us, and referring to my note book the Aire was at a place called La Mailleraye-sur-seine, but avoid the bottom end due to the small sewage plant :-S

no they are not all perfect, just put that in for the anti's :D but it was free and there was no smell at all further along the aire on the river bank:D :D and the local Boulangerie, a very short stroll, was excellent. ;-)

Guest 1footinthegrave
robertandjean - 2013-05-09 8:19 PM

1foot where is the aire next to canal? Looks like one we would enjoy visiting.

Well I have spent the last 20 minutes trying to track it down, fatal flaw sometimes we take a picture and just name it as is "aire by canal" etc always meaning to add more information, this one may have slipped through though, sorry although we are both pretty certain it was in the Alsace around Nancy, yes I know about as helpful as an ashtray on a motorbike, sorry. ;-) but I'm sure you don't need us to tell you the region is lovely anyway and has some nice aires ;-)

I have never felt at risk or worried on an Aire, Stellplatz or Sosta, especially French Aires. Certainly never had the boy racer hassle you get in the UK.

I find it amusing that many seem to think there is some invisible anti bogie man forcefield around campsites that somehow will keep out the axe murderer or motorhome gassers that we all know prowl Europe looking to kill us all!

:-D

I would have thought a shady campsite where the owners wont give a chuff and have long gone to the pub would be an easier target than a well lit aire where all the vans are in the open.

robertandjean - 2013-05-09 7:59 PM

Brian if you think the vans are close at la maillery sur seine and it's noisy overnight then try st Jean de luze, dept 66, on second thoughts don't. In fact not sure anyone should. We stayed one night, almost burnt clutch out getting in to amazingly tight space (I gave up and let Jean do it) then hardly slept with main line trains, one side, busy main road other and church bells for amusement! La mal on other hand we often stay on, in fact heading there in morning, and since charges introduced find much less busy and yes there is river traffic but nothing like the Rhine.

Totally agree at the 'Luze' aire ... absolutely AWFUL for an night stop (even we wouldn't stay overnight there! :D ) but ideal for parking up to go for a wander in the town, get some water and dump your waste. :-D

I love the La Mailleraye-sur-seine one ... you just can't beat the totally bizarre site of a massive ship going past your window as you have your breakfast!!!

945753155_LaMaillerayeSurSeine2-June2007.jpg.097ad9c9fac3ebd0fd6db7d6ff4c1b77.jpg

Archived