Motorhomes & Campers CLEAR OFF!!

Bulletguy

Having needed some work done on the house this year, decided to just make a few days trundling up the East coast toward Peterhead. Been using Google Earth to search out suitable spots to 'overnight' at which is really useful to 'drive' the actual roads looking for decent areas to park.

Needless to say many i find are met by this sort of thing;

http://oi62.tinypic.com/2my3kaq.jpg *-)

In other words, 'clear off......we don't want your business'.

Further up the road from this spot, there is a huge open expanse of grass with...errrm......well nothing on it at all! It's just doing absolutely nothing! Right opposite are some little shops, Cafes and a couple of Pubs.

And then we wonder why small businesses are suffering and folk with Motorhomes and Campers end up taking their money out of the UK. *-)

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry but the photo does not show much evidence of local traders who would benefit from overnight parking of motorhomes here?

I think to be fair that you can't blame the locals for this one and whilst I too love to find a lovely location to quietly spend the night I don't think I would object to this one not being available - unless the over night parking were limited from say 7.00 pm to 8.00 am?

If there were no bans the place would probably be heaving with campers and there are always the indiscreet minority that leave unsavoury evidence of their stay as well as depriving day visitors of parking and access.

If it's any consolation I doubt you would be allowed to stay there if it was in countries renowned for their freedom to park such as France, Germany, Norway, Sweden or Spain either?

Guest Peter James

Would be interested to see the TRO If it exists (which I doubt) to see how they define 'overnight parking'

I always ignore 'no overnight parking', signs like the locals do, and have never had a problem.

Tracker - 2014-07-30 7:56 PM

Sorry but the photo does not show much evidence of local traders who would benefit from overnight parking of motorhomes here?

Pay attention Richard. I did say;

Bulletguy - 2014-07-30 5:35 PM

Further up the road from this spot, there is a huge open expanse of grass with...errrm......well nothing on it at all! It's just doing absolutely nothing! Right opposite are some little shops, Cafes and a couple of Pubs.

If it's any consolation I doubt you would be allowed to stay there if it was in countries renowned for their freedom to park such as France, Germany, Norway, Sweden or Spain either?

Really?

Posted this many times and it's a well known one too.

Bray Dune Aire just a few miles from Calais and even less from Dunkerque.

http://oi62.tinypic.com/b5hf1g.jpg

I've used it for years now. Totally free. Toilet facilities if you want them. Bars, Cafes, Restaurants and the beach and sea front all within a five minute stroll. Needless to say they get my business as i spend money there.

It's a win/win situation for the little town. No boarded up shops there or a High street dominated by Poundstretcher stores, Charity shops and Wonga Robbers.

pepe63 - 2014-07-30 8:46 PM

BG..'anything of any use on here?

http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/scotland/ :-S

Excellent pepe.

Interestingly one of the first places it lists is Cruden Bay which i'd already got pinpointed as good spot.

http://oi61.tinypic.com/25zsg0j.jpg

They will get my money because they have at least made an effort and aren't chasing people away! There's a little Cafe which is just off the photo on the right. Only a Portacabin jobbie but if they dish up bacon sarnies and coffee, that's enough to 'get me on the road'!

Peter James - 2014-07-30 8:45 PM

Would be interested to see the TRO If it exists (which I doubt) to see how they define 'overnight parking'

I always ignore 'no overnight parking', signs like the locals do, and have never had a problem.

Ah but you do live in a country known for it's excellent attitude and common sense approach to 'wild camping' Peter!

That photo i posted on OP was in Co. Durham so still in England.

I'm eventually heading for Peterhead.

Guest Had Enough

I can't see anywhere that 'Motorhomes and Campers CLEAR OFF' is written. All the sign says is 'No Overnight Parking'. I think that the sign simply means 'No overnight parking', no more, no less.

I saw loads of car park signs saying 'No overnight parking' on my last holiday a few weeks ago. They were all in French. Funnily enough, I didn't jump to the conclusion that the Ile de Re for example, wanted me to clear off. I just assumed that for they didn't want loads of people blocking the car park and staying for days, as is inevitable.

Still, it's nice to know that all these shops in Bray Dune are being kept afloat by the vast amounts of money spent by motorhomers who arrive with a 'van full of food and buy a baguette in the morning. I wonder what keeps them going for the eight months of the year when there are hardly any camper vans in town?

Finally, do some people have special glasses which filter out the vast number of 'No Overnight parking' signs and height barriers in France and other countries?

antony1969 - 2014-07-30 9:05 PM

The traveller types that broke into one of our local schools again the other night to camp don't worry about no overnight parking signs ..... Cost us the taxpayer in our area £150.000 to clean up the contents of there toilets last year.

£150?!! All in?!!

Blimey.....they couldn't have been British 'doleys' doing the cleaning because they won't get out of bed for that! :D

Bulletguy - 2014-07-30 9:32 PM

The traveller types that broke into one of our local schools again the other night to camp don't worry about no overnight parking signs ..... Cost us the taxpayer in our area £150.000 to clean up the contents of there toilets last year.

£150?!! All in?!!

Blimey.....they couldn't have been British 'doleys' doing the cleaning because they won't get out of bed for that! :D

You lost a digit somewhere ??

Guest Had Enough
Bulletguy - 2014-07-30 9:34 PM

Had Enough - 2014-07-30 9:32 PM

I can't see anywhere that 'Motorhomes and Campers CLEAR OFF' is written. All the sign says is 'No Overnight Parking'.

Why did i just know you'd be along sooner or later? *-)

Funnily enough, I was just thinking the same about you. *-)

Ps Where do you get those glasses? ;-)

Bulletguy - 2014-07-30 9:11 PM

Pay attention Richard. I did say;

Really?

Posted this many times and it's a well known one too.

Bray Dune Aire just a few miles from Calais and even less from Dunkerque.

http://oi62.tinypic.com/b5hf1g.jpg

I've used it for years now. Totally free. Toilet facilities if you want them. Bars, Cafes, Restaurants and the beach and sea front all within a five minute stroll. Needless to say they get my business as i spend money there.

It's a win/win situation for the little town. No boarded up shops there or a High street dominated by Poundstretcher stores, Charity shops and Wonga Robbers.

Before you start getting tetchy just because I disagreed with you, further up the road could mean anything and for motorhomers to use any shops etc to any useful extent they would need to be quite close.

We too are aware of Bray Dune and just as you choose to take one example out of context to support your own view I could, but see no real point, show you many many beach and coastal car parks throughout Europe that have similar bans - and to be fair most of them make sense.

If you are so outraged because you can't park up anywhere you like why not write to Durham CC and try and reach a compromise where they allow a couple of motorhome only bays?

antony1969 - 2014-07-30 9:36 PM

Bulletguy - 2014-07-30 9:32 PM

£150?!! All in?!!

You lost a digit somewhere ??

Ooops.....senior moment! :$

Seems zero hours minimum wage contract workers haven't yet reached his neck o' th' woods! Nothing a few East Europeans couldn't cope with and would have sorted that out for a fraction of that amount.

Probably £150!! :D

For Pepe and Anthony,

Spotted this post on the Wild Camping website which pretty much sums it up;

Signs cost money to erect & most councils have little of that to splash around which would suggest that too many have been stopping there & there may have been a complaint.

Could one or more of the houses be a rented Holiday Cottage? Just a thought, as it tends to be an English attitude to complain rather than a Scottish one in my experience. Most Gaelic Scots have a more relaxed "live & let live" attitude like their cousins, the Irish.

Spot on! :D

Tracker - 2014-07-30 9:45 PM

Before you start getting tetchy just because I disagreed with you, further up the road could mean anything and for motorhomers to use any shops etc to any useful extent they would need to be quite close.

Oh brother!

I had neither my Opisometer or Trumeter with me at the time Richard. A couple of hundred yards or so......will that do? And as long as i still have legs i'm not averse to a bit of walking. I don't drive everywhere then park up and sit on my ar*e watching TV whilst waiting for a Pizza to be delivered!

Guest Had Enough
Bulletguy - 2014-07-30 10:22 PM

For Pepe and Anthony,

...... Just a thought, as it tends to be an English attitude to complain rather than a Scottish one in my experience. Most Gaelic Scots have a more relaxed "live & let live" attitude like their cousins, the Irish.

Is this your way of telling us that you're English then? ;-)

Had Enough - 2014-07-30 10:33 PM

Bulletguy - 2014-07-30 10:22 PM

For Pepe and Anthony,

...... Just a thought, as it tends to be an English attitude to complain rather than a Scottish one in my experience. Most Gaelic Scots have a more relaxed "live & let live" attitude like their cousins, the Irish.

Is this your way of telling us that you're English then? ;-)

Purely an interesting observation from someone else who shares my views. I've been in Scotland enough times to recognise this.

Having needed some work done on the house this year, decided to just make a few days trundling up the East coast toward Peterhead. Been using Google Earth to search out suitable spots to 'overnight' at which is really useful to 'drive' the actual roads looking for decent areas to park.

And then we wonder why small businesses are suffering and folk with Motorhomes and Campers end up taking their money out of the UK. *-)

Here we go again, a motorhomer living in his own small dream land. Just because you cannot park for free anywhere you like all the small businesses are going bust. My wife keeps a diary and in it lists our spending on trips both in UK and Europe, our biggest expenses are always food and fuel, we buy 90% of our food and all our fuel in multinational supermarkets. The local trader is lucky to get the sale of a baget and a coffee and I would be willing to bet most M/H owners are the same. Sure we buy local soft fruit in season, usually in June early July and have the occasional meal out but that is a very small part of our budget and where we can or cannot park is hardly a problem here. We do at least use local camp sites and aires so contribute something, unlike the 'I only stay in laybys lot'. I would suggest that in the UK the caravan owners contribute a lot more locally as they always stay on a local site and often for several weeks at a time so are not spending most of their budget on fuel. Before anyone states the obvious that at least the money spent in the supermarkets goes into economy, I am aware of that, but the point made by the original poster was about local business all going bust because he could not park for free.

Guest pelmetman
rupert123 - 2014-07-31 10:58 AM

Here we go again, a motorhomer living in his own small dream land. Just because you cannot park for free anywhere you like all the small businesses are going bust. My wife keeps a diary and in it lists our spending on trips both in UK and Europe, our biggest expenses are always food and fuel, we buy 90% of our food and all our fuel in multinational supermarkets. The local trader is lucky to get the sale of a baget and a coffee and I would be willing to bet most M/H owners are the same. Sure we buy local soft fruit in season, usually in June early July and have the occasional meal out but that is a very small part of our budget and where we can or cannot park is hardly a problem here. We do at least use local camp sites and aires so contribute something, unlike the 'I only stay in laybys lot'. I would suggest that in the UK the caravan owners contribute a lot more locally as they always stay on a local site and often for several weeks at a time so are not spending most of their budget on fuel. Before anyone states the obvious that at least the money spent in the supermarkets goes into economy, I am aware of that, but the point made by the original poster was about local business all going bust because he could not park for free.

Being a renowned skinflint :D...............For our recent fortnight in Scotland we went fully stocked with food and wine from Lidels, and spuds from our garden B-)...............

We still put over £500 into the local coffers 8-) ..................

But that's about average for us, as we budget on about 250 quid a week, So France will get a grand next month and Spain over 3k..........

That means the UK will get £500 and Europe over four thousand of my not very hard earned dosh this year ;-).....................I wonder why that is? >:-).................

pelmetman - 2014-07-31 12:20 PM

... as we budget on about 250 quid a week, So France will get a grand next month and Spain over 3k..........

That means the UK will get £500 and Europe over four thousand of my not very hard earned dosh this year ;-).....................I wonder why that is? >:-).................

More than likely because, generally speaking, France and Spain have better weather than here and you like going there..?

During the winter don't you spend weeks(months?) at a time pitched up in Spain? Now would you be doing that if their weather was known to be worse than here in the UK?...

No, you wouldn't. ;-)

Archived