Motorhomes & Campers CLEAR OFF!!

Bulletguy

pelmetman - 2014-07-31 12:20 PM

rupert123 - 2014-07-31 10:58 AM

Bulletguy - 2014-07-30 5:35 PM

Having needed some work done on the house this year, decided to just make a few days trundling up the East coast toward Peterhead. Been using Google Earth to search out suitable spots to 'overnight' at which is really useful to 'drive' the actual roads looking for decent areas to park.

Needless to say many i find are met by this sort of thing;

http://oi62.tinypic.com/2my3kaq.jpg *-)

In other words, 'clear off......we don't want your business'.

Further up the road from this spot, there is a huge open expanse of grass with...errrm......well nothing on it at all! It's just doing absolutely nothing! Right opposite are some little shops, Cafes and a couple of Pubs.

And then we wonder why small businesses are suffering and folk with Motorhomes and Campers end up taking their money out of the UK. *-)

Here we go again, a motorhomer living in his own small dream land. Just because you cannot park for free anywhere you like all the small businesses are going bust. My wife keeps a diary and in it lists our spending on trips both in UK and Europe, our biggest expenses are always food and fuel, we buy 90% of our food and all our fuel in multinational supermarkets. The local trader is lucky to get the sale of a baget and a coffee and I would be willing to bet most M/H owners are the same. Sure we buy local soft fruit in season, usually in June early July and have the occasional meal out but that is a very small part of our budget and where we can or cannot park is hardly a problem here. We do at least use local camp sites and aires so contribute something, unlike the 'I only stay in laybys lot'. I would suggest that in the UK the caravan owners contribute a lot more locally as they always stay on a local site and often for several weeks at a time so are not spending most of their budget on fuel. Before anyone states the obvious that at least the money spent in the supermarkets goes into economy, I am aware of that, but the point made by the original poster was about local business all going bust because he could not park for free.

Being a renowned skinflint :D...............For our recent fortnight in Scotland we went fully stocked with food and wine from Lidels, and spuds from our garden B-)...............

We still put over £500 into the local coffers 8-) ..................

But that's about average for us, as we budget on about 250 quid a week, So France will get a grand next month and Spain over 3k..........

That means the UK will get £500 and Europe over four thousand of my not very hard earned dosh this year ;-).....................I wonder why that is? >:-).................

Looks like you agree, all your money goes to large operators none to local business, so what was your original point about?

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bulletguy - 2014-07-31 9:27 PM

agedone - 2014-07-31 6:37 PM

I am well aware that I have old fashioned views, but as a child my parents would say, "What if everybody did that?".

This holds true for those "wild camp". If all those souls on the despised camp sites chose to wild camp then where would we all drive? Where would we get water and dispose of waste?

All the talk of freedom etc is just a cover for the " i,m alright Jack" mentality of the selfish few spoiling it for the majority.

You stick with your Club sites and keep paying those fees in. They contribute to helping evil freeloaders such as myself to while away the evenings in peace and wake up in a morning to scenery such as this;

http://oi62.tinypic.com/f4ph1v.jpg

http://oi61.tinypic.com/11hxann.jpg

http://oi57.tinypic.com/34dlqp5.jpg

No Bars, Bingo, Karaoke, dog turds and screaming kids running riot. Just me, the open road and a room with a view.

My water comes from a tap and disposal is in accordance with the law.

These pictures all look like Scotland to me, could you not find one of a decent car park in Europe?

Guest pelmetman
rupert123 - 2014-08-01 11:20 AM

Being a renowned skinflint :D...............For our recent fortnight in Scotland we went fully stocked with food and wine from Lidels, and spuds from our garden B-)...............

We still put over £500 into the local coffers 8-) ..................

But that's about average for us, as we budget on about 250 quid a week, So France will get a grand next month and Spain over 3k..........

That means the UK will get £500 and Europe over four thousand of my not very hard earned dosh this year ;-).....................I wonder why that is? >:-).................

"Looks like you agree, all your money goes to large operators none to local business, so what was your original point about?"

Well I suppose you have a point as £304 went to the CC and only £200+ in local restaurants and shops :-|..................but in our defense it was our tugger friends turn to choose as we picked last years site, a nice privately owned site in Cornwall, and much cheaper too B-).............

pepe63 - 2014-08-01 9:59 AM

BG..You knew what you were doing when you started this thread...You posted to get a response..so you got one (some! ;-) )

As I said in my first post, instead of Googling for car-parks(which you know, tend to not allow overnighting)and then posting to moan about your findings, wouldn't it have been far more constructive and indeed more helpful to you, if you had just asked if anyone could recommend anywhere on your chosen route? (..be they small pub or rural type sites, Britstops locations? or even any discrete "off grid" spots)..

Already have actually and it's 'well sorted' now thanks to some very helpful local non-motorhome folk. I'm always amused by the furore that follows on here every time anyone dares mention 'wild camping' which brings the Preachers to their pulpits. Anyone would think a person is about to commit some heinous criminal act.

rupert123 - 2014-08-01 11:29 AM

These pictures all look like Scotland to me, could you not find one of a decent car park in Europe?

They are.

Unlike England, Scotland welcomes 'wild campers' as i pointed out in a previous post where i also posted a very fitting quote from somebody on another Forum.

I'm not going to Europe this year so don't see the relevance. I've already posted a photo of the Aire at Bray Dune in France but you are welcome to some where i've 'overnighted' in Holland, Germany, Poland, Hungary, Montenegro and Serbia.

pelmetman - 2014-08-01 12:12 PM

..a nice privately owned site in Cornwall, and much cheaper too B-)

Do you mind me asking, whereabouts and which 'site that was?...we haven't been down to Cornwall for a while and we're looking to take a trundle down there *later in the year...

(..*I was going to say, "..probably when the kids are back at school"..but that's only a few weeks now,anyway!. .bl**dy 'ell! where's this year goin'!? ).

Edit:Sorry,I missed your post BG....good to hear that you're sorted. ;-)

Guest pelmetman
pepe63 - 2014-08-01 1:12 PM

pelmetman - 2014-08-01 12:12 PM

..a nice privately owned site in Cornwall, and much cheaper too B-)

Do you mind me asking, whereabouts and which 'site that was?...we haven't been down to Cornwall for a while and we're looking to take a trundle down there *later in the year...

(..*I was going to say, "..probably when the kids are back at school"..but that's only a few weeks now,anyway!. .bl**dy 'ell! where's this year goin'!? ).

Edit:Sorry,I missed your post BG....good to hear that you're sorted. ;-)

Hi Pepe

It was the site at Marizian that Dave and I stayed at, lovely little site just 5 minute walk to sea and a little further on to a quaint little town. Prices from 13 September work out at £16 per night plus 50p for shower, I worked this out on 2 adults and a motorhome. Hope this helps.

SUE

Edit by Dave........ the site is called Dove Meadow ;-)...........

http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/reviews.asp?revid=9126

Bulletguy - 2014-08-01 1:04 PM

[

rupert123 - 2014-08-01 11:29 AM

They are.

Unlike England, Scotland welcomes 'wild campers' as i pointed out in a previous post where i also posted a very fitting quote from somebody on another Forum.

I'm not going to Europe this year so don't see the relevance. I've already posted a photo of the Aire at Bray Dune in France but you are welcome to some where i've 'overnighted' in Holland, Germany, Poland, Hungary, Montenegro and Serbia.

I know the aire but do not stay in laybys, sorry 'wild ha ha camp', so no use to me.

Guest Had Enough

Caravan Club site at Sennen Cove Cornwall in September is £16 for two adults. Showers included and no charge for dogs.

http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/caravanclubapps/applications/uk-caravan-sites-and-parks/SiteDetails.aspx?csid=22004

The Caravan Club site at Marazion is £12.40 for two adults, but is for self-contained only as it has no toilet block. Again, there is no extra charge for dogs, which many private sites apply.

Private sites cheaper? Mmmmm!

Guest pelmetman
Had Enough - 2014-08-01 3:12 PM

Caravan Club site at Sennen Cove Cornwall in September is £16 for two adults. Showers included and no charge for dogs.

http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/caravanclubapps/applications/uk-caravan-sites-and-parks/SiteDetails.aspx?csid=22004

The Caravan Club site at Marazion is £12.40 for two adults, but is for self-contained only as it has no toilet block. Again, there is no extra charge for dogs, which many private sites apply.

Private sites cheaper? Mmmmm!

The CC site at Marazion is more of a hike to town and along a dodgy road, are you trying to get Pepe run over Frank? 8-)..............and Dove Meadows make no charge for dogs if I recall correctly ;-)............

Plus there is no £44 joining fee to use the Dove Meadows site >:-)...............

pelmetman - 2014-08-01 2:57 PM

pepe63 - 2014-08-01 1:12 PM

Hi Pepe

It was the site at Marizian that Dave and I stayed at, lovely little site just 5 minute walk to sea and a little further on to a quaint little town. Prices from 13 September work out at £16 per night plus 50p for shower, I worked this out on 2 adults and a motorhome. Hope this helps.

SUE

Thanks for that!... :-D

I've been wanting to go back down that way for quite a while...but the last couple of years, what with 3(three!) daughters' weddings(one of which moved to the UAE)..and now a house move, there has always seemed to be something else that has "cropped up".... (lol)

Edit: and thanks to Dave for the Dove Meadow bit(which I initially missed).

Guest Had Enough
pelmetman - 2014-08-01 3:20 PM

Plus there is no £44 joining fee to use the Dove Meadows site >:-)...............

But you're already a member and as I recall you said that this was cheaper than a CC site. It isn't, it's more expensive. And it has no hot water and you have to pay to have a shower! Is this 2014 or 1914?

Your exact words:

'... but in our defense it was our tugger friends turn to choose as we picked last years site, a nice privately owned site in Cornwall, and much cheaper too'

Much cheaper?

Guest Had Enough
Robinhood - 2014-08-01 3:32 PM

@pepe63

....if you're taking your "small" camper, you might like:

http://www.treenfarmcampsite.co.uk/

IMO, you'll not get a much better (quiet) location (there's a pub in the village), but I wouldn't take anything larger than a medium sized van conversion there!

It looks lovely but once again demolishes this 'expensive CC' rubbish. In September it's £18 a night for a motorhome and two adults with ehu. If you have an awning it's £19.50.

And then we have shower tokens at 25p, which adds another 50p per day. Paying for a shower? Good God!

So for a camper with an awning whose occupants like a daily shower it's £20 a night but no good if you've a decent-sized motorhome.

@pepe63

IMO, you'll not get a much better (quiet) location (there's a pub in the village), but I wouldn't take anything larger than a medium sized van conversion there!

Thank you Robin'...

That looks lovely!,..Yes we would be taking our small(and currently, only!) Hiace "camping-van" .. :-D

(..I'm not wanting to get drawn into any "Club" v Independent/commercial site debate...but it does make a nice change, as at least they're all in the UK! (lol))

Thanks again.

Guest pelmetman
Had Enough - 2014-08-01 3:36 PM

pelmetman - 2014-08-01 3:20 PM

But you're already a member and as I recall you said that this was cheaper than a CC site. It isn't, it's more expensive. And it has no hot water and you have to pay to have a shower! Is this 2014 or 1914?

Your exact words:

'... but in our defense it was our tugger friends turn to choose as we picked last years site, a nice privately owned site in Cornwall, and much cheaper too'

Much cheaper?

Psssst I'll let you into a secret ;-)..................We were undercharged at Oban :D................reading the small print we should've been charged for the box trailer 8-).................

There you go Frank, you can have me drummed out of the CC now >:-)...............

BTW.... we only rejoined the CC because our friends wanted to stay on this particular site, and the CC sent us a free night offer if we joined by a certain date...............unfortunately Oban is an affiliated site so the free night voucher was not valid *-)...................used it at Barnard Castle on the way back, which saved us £23 :D.........

Guest pelmetman
Had Enough - 2014-08-01 3:43 PM

@pepe63

It looks lovely but once again demolishes this 'expensive CC' rubbish. In September it's £18 a night for a motorhome and two adults with ehu. If you have an awning it's £19.50.

And then we have shower tokens at 25p, which adds another 50p per day. Paying for a shower? Good God!

So for a camper with an awning whose occupants like a daily shower it's £20 a night but no good if you've a decent-sized motorhome.

Unless you compare it to a ACIS site at the same time of year.................16 euros buys a lot of campsite facilities...................... even in this country out of season :D.................Which is when Pepe is planing on going I believe ;-)................

Guest Had Enough
pelmetman - 2014-08-02 12:51 AM

Unless you compare it to a ACIS site at the same time of year.................16 euros buys a lot of campsite facilities...................... even in this country out of season :D.................Which is when Pepe is planing on going I believe ;-)................

You do seem to be becoming increasingly desperate to prove that the CC sites are expensive. First of all you lie by saying that the site you used in Cornwall was 'much cheaper' than the nearest CC sites when in fact it was more expensive. Not only was it more expensive but it had no hot water in any of the washbasins or dish washing facilities and you had to pay extra if you wanted to have a shower. And I've no doubt that the shower was timed so that there was no dawdling. Very sophisticated!

Having been exposed in this fiction you now introduce the ACSI equation. What has this to do with anything? The two sites being discussed here aren't even in the ACSI scheme.

You accuse me of always thinking I'm right but you're giving classic Pelmetman responses here. You're proven to be wrong (again) so instead of accepting it with good grace you divert to another subject.

But I'm not sure that a man who is happy to pay £17 to stay on a motorway service area, surrounded by noisy vehicles constantly coming and going, is in any position to tell the rest of us how to get the best value when choosing a site. You seem to have much to learn when working out site prices and choosing good ones.

Guest pelmetman
Had Enough - 2014-08-02 12:05 PM

pelmetman - 2014-08-02 12:51 AM

You do seem to be becoming increasingly desperate to prove that the CC sites are expensive. First of all you lie by saying that the site you used in Cornwall was 'much cheaper' than the nearest CC sites when in fact it was more expensive. Not only was it more expensive but it had no hot water in any of the washbasins or dish washing facilities and you had to pay extra if you wanted to have a shower.

Nearest? :-S....................Is Oban the nearest CC site to Marizion? 8-)...............I'm starting to worry about your cognitive abilities Frank :-|................

Guest Had Enough
pelmetman - 2014-08-03 5:46 PM

Nearest? :-S....................Is Oban the nearest CC site to Marizion? 8-)...............I'm starting to worry about your cognitive abilities Frank :-|................

CC sites had been mentioned and you stated that you'd stayed at a private site in Cornwall and that it was much cheaper. Presumably cheaper than a CC site? If not what was it cheaper than?

As for my cognitive abilities I'm clever enough to know that paying £17 to stay on a noisy motorway services isn't very bright! Dear me!

So why did you say that your private site was much cheaper when it was actually more expensive? Was it a deliberate lie or are you unable to check the CC price and work it out? Possibly it's adding up the various factors that stumps you?

That must be it.

Quote:

'pelmetman - 2014-08-01 12:12 PM

..a nice privately owned site in Cornwall, and much cheaper too!'

Mmmm cheaper than what?

Guest pelmetman
Had Enough - 2014-08-03 6:46 PM

Quote:

'pelmetman - 2014-08-01 12:12 PM

..a nice privately owned site in Cornwall, and much cheaper too!'

Mmmm cheaper than what?

Cheaper than what else was available CC or otherwise when we were looking for a site in "Cornwall"...........and met our requirements of a site that was within walking distance of a nice town or two, as Marizion did ;-)................

As when you add the £6.50 return bus ride into Oban to the already more expensive campsite, then things start to add up Frank...................that's almost 6 pork pies 8-)...............

Guest pelmetman
Had Enough - 2014-08-03 6:46 PM

As for my cognitive abilities I'm clever enough to know that paying £17 to stay on a noisy motorway services isn't very bright! Dear me!

Again not my choice Frank ;-)..................as we'd arranged to meet up with our tugger friends there :-|..........

Guest Had Enough
pelmetman - 2014-08-03 7:21 PM

Cheaper than what else was available CC or otherwise when we were looking for a site in "Cornwall"...........and met our requirements of a site that was within walking distance of a nice town or two, as Marizion did ;-)................

As when you add the £6.50 return bus ride into Oban to the already more expensive campsite, then things start to add up Frank...................that's almost 6 pork pies 8-)...............

But it isn't cheaper than the CC site in Cornwall, it's more expensive. Perhaps you did have problems adding up? I think there are definitely some pork pies here.

And here's another tip. If a chum suggests that you stay the night on a noisy motorway services that costs £17 tell him not to be stupid and find a CL, a site or even a nice lay bye to spend the night. It's not rocket science. Well, for most of us anyway.

You really must learn to think for yourself.

I'm off now but whilst I'm out get out the CC book and add up what the costs are for the nearest sites to Marazion. You'd better get a calculator as you've got it wrong up to now.

I'll test you when I get back.

Archived