Motorhomes & Campers CLEAR OFF!!

Bulletguy

Guest pelmetman
pepe63 - 2014-07-31 12:31 PM

pelmetman - 2014-07-31 12:20 PM

... as we budget on about 250 quid a week, So France will get a grand next month and Spain over 3k..........

That means the UK will get £500 and Europe over four thousand of my not very hard earned dosh this year ;-).....................I wonder why that is? >:-).................

More than likely because, generally speaking, France and Spain have better weather than here and you like going there..?

During the winter don't you spend weeks(months?) at a time pitched up in Spain? Now would you be doing that if their weather was known to be worse than here in the UK?...

No, you wouldn't. ;-)

I have the option of spending September here or in France Pepe ;-)................having moho'd for over 20 years in the UK and Europe I know where I'm not wanted, so I'll take my money to France :-|....................

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
rupert123 - 2014-07-31 10:58 AM

Here we go again, a motorhomer living in his own small dream land. Just because you cannot park for free anywhere you like all the small businesses are going bust.

I would suggest that in the UK the caravan owners contribute a lot more locally as they always stay on a local site and often for several weeks at a time so are not spending most of their budget on fuel.

Before anyone states the obvious that at least the money spent in the supermarkets goes into economy, I am aware of that, but the point made by the original poster was about local business all going bust because he could not park for free.

Actually i said they were 'suffering'......which they are. But as you've now mentioned it yourself, yes indeed many have actually gone bust. The point i was making if only you'd taken the trouble and effort to think first before donning your keyboard warrior outfit, was UK actually does very little to help the local economy in the first place.

I mentioned huge wide open expanses of lawned grass just sitting there doing absolutely nothing and serving no useful purpose whatsoever. That's land just begging to be opened up to welcome Motorhome and Campervan tourists into their town. Instead they waste money cluttering up the place with barmy banner signs to chase business away and some Councils must blow a fair bit of their budget on yellow paint too. Brilliant!

As for the 'No Overnight Parking' signs on car parks, i find that totally ridiculous but oh so typically British.....or maybe i should say English as the Scots are sensible folk who don't bother with silly signs.

I don't have a Caravan, it's a Campervan and i like the freedom of moving as and when i want to. I don't care much at all for Caravan & Camping sites in the UK as they are way too restrictive and often so ludicrously over priced you may just as well go B&B. Small sites with a few 'tuggers' and MHers on yes i don't mind, they are fine and ok.....but i never was 'into' the Butlins Holiday camp scene....just not my thing.

Bulletguy - 2014-07-31 2:42 PM

.....but i never was 'into' the Butlins Holiday camp scene....just not my thing.

But to be fair BG, I shouldn't imagine that many(if any?)on here are "into" the "Butlins Holiday camp scene" either.. ;-) ....

I do know that I have never felt at risk of rolling up to a "Butlin-esque" type campsite...as they aren't normally that hard to spot... (lol)

I am well aware that I have old fashioned views, but as a child my parents would say, "What if everybody did that?".

This holds true for those "wild camp". If all those souls on the despised camp sites chose to wild camp then where would we all drive? Where would we get water and dispose of waste?

All the talk of freedom etc is just a cover for the " i,m alright Jack" mentality of the selfish few spoiling it for the majority.

agedone - 2014-07-31 6:37 PM

I am well aware that I have old fashioned views, but as a child my parents would say, "What if everybody did that?".

This holds true for those "wild camp". If all those souls on the despised camp sites chose to wild camp then where would we all drive? Where would we get water and dispose of waste?

All the talk of freedom etc is just a cover for the " i,m alright Jack" mentality of the selfish few spoiling it for the majority.

You stick with your Club sites and keep paying those fees in. They contribute to helping evil freeloaders such as myself to while away the evenings in peace and wake up in a morning to scenery such as this;

http://oi62.tinypic.com/f4ph1v.jpg

http://oi61.tinypic.com/11hxann.jpg

http://oi57.tinypic.com/34dlqp5.jpg

No Bars, Bingo, Karaoke, dog turds and screaming kids running riot. Just me, the open road and a room with a view.

My water comes from a tap and disposal is in accordance with the law.

What ever your views, other people are just as entitled to record a differing view without acrimony as you are to record yours with 'offense' being taken, real or artificial.

Europe is big enough for us all to live together in perfect peaceful disagreement whatever way we choose to spend our time.

No wrong or right ways - just different.

Bulletguy - 2014-07-31 9:27 PM

You stick with your Club sites and keep paying those fees in. They contribute to helping evil freeloaders such as myself to while away the evenings in peace and wake up in a morning to scenery such as this;

http://oi62.tinypic.com/f4ph1v.jpg

http://oi61.tinypic.com/11hxann.jpg

http://oi57.tinypic.com/34dlqp5.jpg

No Bars, Bingo, Karaoke, dog turds and screaming kids running riot. Just me, the open road and a room with a view.

Anyone can be selective with photos.

Here's one taken on a club site.

No bars - no bingo - no karaoke - or screaming kids.

............ and nothing like this Butlins place I've heard about.

Alt5.jpg.10435cc0c82ea202941fe110a25e6622.jpg

Guest Had Enough
Bulletguy - 2014-07-31 9:27 PM

My water comes from a tap and disposal is in accordance with the law.

Which club sites have you stayed on that have bars, karaoke, dog turds and screaming kids running around? I can't think of any.

But I thought that you used sites all the time? You're constantly giving information on the sites that you use and I remember that recently you asked a member to remember you to a camp site receptionist that you'd got to know from repeated stays on her site?

Perhaps it's only infra-dig to use sites in the UK but acceptable in Europe?

malc d - 2014-07-31 9:59 PM

No bars - no bingo - no karaoke - or screaming kids.......and nothing like this Butlins place I've heard about.

Excellently selected.

Hopefully kept mutt free too?

Had Enough - 2014-07-31 10:02 PM

Which club sites have you stayed on that have bars, karaoke, dog turds and screaming kids running around? I can't think of any.

But I thought that you used sites all the time? You're constantly giving information on the sites that you use and I remember that recently you asked a member to remember you to a camp site receptionist that you'd got to know from repeated stays on her site?

I do use sites in parts of Europe and yes i frequent some on a regular basis so know some of the staff.

I've not said anywhere that i never use sites.

It's always a pleasure contributing to the local economy anywhere i'm welcomed rather than chased away.

Guest Peter James
agedone - 2014-07-31 6:37 PM

Where would we get water and dispose of waste?

There are public water taps and waste bins, thats what we pay our taxes for.

The council tax on a small 3 bed semi in Newark is higher than Buckingham Palace which shows who the real freeloaders are.

I don't mind paying the unemployed REASONABLE benefits but the Royal Family are just taking the p*ss

Guest pelmetman

Which club sites have you stayed on that have screaming kids running around? I can't think of any.

Oban :-|................

Bulletguy - 2014-08-01 1:15 AM

malc d - 2014-07-31 9:59 PM

No bars - no bingo - no karaoke - or screaming kids.......and nothing like this Butlins place I've heard about.

Excellently selected.

Hopefully kept mutt free too?

I don't remember any mutts - but there was a certain amount of sheep poo in the area.

That's quite unusual on a site.

;-)

Guest Had Enough
Bulletguy - 2014-08-01 1:26 AM

I do use sites in parts of Europe and yes i frequent some on a regular basis so know some of the staff.

I've not said anywhere that i never use sites.

It's always a pleasure contributing to the local economy anywhere i'm welcomed rather than chased away.

I simply don't understand your motives in making this post. You go to places such as Croatia where wild camping is illegal with fines of up to €1000 and where there's no need to have 'No Overnighting' signs on beauty-spot car parks because there's a blanket ban on overnighting in the whole country.

You have never mentioned that you feel unwelcome and 'chased away' in such countries and you stay on camp sites, which you see as contributing to the local economy, which it is of course.

In the UK there are thousands of places to wild camp and you won't have an ex-member of the old Stasi, who is now a policeman, knocking on your door in the early hours.

But because the odd car park in the U.K bans overnighting, for reasons that anyone who thinks about it for more than thirty seconds can comprehend, you come on here, posting photographs and complaining about being made to feel unwelcome and 'chased away'. You also complain that this policy of banning overnighting in a few places is endangering the local economy.

Yet you set off on your holiday in the UK with the intention of eschewing camp sites and use Google Earth to try to find free camping spots.

Camp sites in their construction, maintenance and day-to-day running employ local people and use local businesses and tradesmen; plumbers, electricians, builders and the dozens of other services that businesses have to call on.

You are happy to use camp sites in Europe but why, when in the UK, your own country, do you go out of your way not to support the local economy?

Apart from of course, the odd pint of milk and loaf of bread to top up the food store that you bought at your local supermarket before setting off. I'm sure that's a great comfort to the economy of every part of the UK in which you wild camp.

I find your logic to be baffling! No overnighting at all in some European countries - they're wonderful places to which you return and stay on their camp sites. Lots of overnighting places in the UK but, because some spots don't allow overnighting, you feel unwelcome and 'chased away' from your own country. That's very odd.

Guest Peter James
Had Enough - 2014-08-01 8:44 AM

. I'm sure that's a great comfort to the economy of every part of the UK in which you wild camp.

This is what I truly don't understand Frank. I pay road tax and council tax which is (more than) my share of the cost of roads, litter disposal, etc.

Why should I feel I have to spend money in places I visit?

Who are the real freeloaders here?

Amen.

I will never understand this antagonism between dedicated siters and dedicated off siters?

Why cant we all accept that everyone has their own preferences and just do our own things and promote our own style without all the snide and insults to anyone who dares to do it differently?

That said, long live the friendly tongue in cheek banter between differing views!

We are where we are in the real world and attacking each other is never gonna solve anything.

Anyone who feels motivated enough is free to contact any local authority or government department looking for change and those who do make that effort will always have my respect whereas those who just gripe never will.

Guest pelmetman
Derek Uzzell - 2014-08-01 9:04 AM

Whenever motorhome ‘wildcamping’ in the UK is argued about on forums, for some peculiar reason I’m reminded of Moses and the exodus from Egypt.

Not heard of this firm from Egypt :-S...................is Moses's Exodus a PVC or a CB (?)............

Whenever motorhome ‘wildcamping’ in the UK is argued about on forums, for some peculiar reason I’m reminded of Moses and the exodus from Egypt.

http://www.neno.co.ke/bible/book/Exodus/10/4

Whenever I hear the term " wild camping " it reminds me of Scott of the Antarctic.

Things have certainly improved for 'wild' campers.

;-)

pelmetman - 2014-08-01 9:41 AM

Not heard of this firm from Egypt :-S...................is Moses's Exodus a PVC or a CB (?)............

PVC had not yet been invented so it's a one off Bullrush special powered by one donkey!

The emissions from the donkey are under investigation by the Romans who need to raise revenue to support their lavish lifestyle in Rome by imposing a donkey dollop charge on every donkey that enters Jerusalem, and the charge is a lot more if you have a hay guzzling team of two or more donkeys.

Sound familiar? Nothing is ever new!

Guest pelmetman
Tracker - 2014-08-01 9:12 AM

Why cant we all accept that everyone has their own preferences and just do our own things and promote our own style without all the snide and insults to anyone who dares to do it differently?

(lol)............Insults just add grist to the mill, for us folk who dare to go in the opposite direction to the herd Rich ;-).................

But each to their own...............being a semi idle layabout suits me..............although I'm not without ambition B-)..............I hope to become a full time layabout one day :D..............

It strikes me that there are small handful on here who clearly get their kicks by seeking out problems to moan about,rather than solutions.(disciples of "onefoot" maybe, still carrying the banner..?)

And it doesn't seem to matter what the topic is either, when someone purposely titles a thread in a "negative" way and their opening post is little more than moan, then the tone of the thread tends to be set up for an argument of sorts...

BG..You knew what you were doing when you started this thread...You posted to get a response..so you got one (some! ;-) )

As I said in my first post, instead of Googling for car-parks(which you know, tend to not allow overnighting)and then posting to moan about your findings, wouldn't it have been far more constructive and indeed more helpful to you, if you had just asked if anyone could recommend anywhere on your chosen route? (..be they small pub or rural type sites, Britstops locations? or even any discrete "off grid" spots)..

Approaching it as you have, was obviously never going to be very "productive" was it... ;-)

pelmetman - 2014-08-01 9:58 AM

But each to their own...............being a semi idle layabout suits me..............although I'm not without ambition B-)..............I hope to become a full time layabout one day :D..............

I'm proud of your efforts towards full time loafing Dave, a man after me own heart!

I achieved that elevated status some 14 years ago and I can honestly say that full time loafing was the best darned career move I ever made!

The hours can be very long at times but the pay is at least guaranteed, so carry on the grand work and don't be put of by the prophets of gloom and other miserables - they are just envious really because they don't have the nerve to go for it - although most of 'em would never admit it!

Guest Had Enough

Just to clarify. I wild camp, I use aires and I use campsites. I haven't opposed wild camping in this thread nor denigrated it. Anyone reading my post carefully should realise that it's all about the contradiction in the OP's stance.

He lambastes the UK, which has thousands of wild camping spots, because it has the temerity to protect some car parks, which we all know would be overrun with motorhomes if overnighting were allowed. He goes on to claim that this policy is deleterious to small businesses, which face ruin because a few motorhomers won't be able to park near their establishments.

Yet he goes to countries where wild camping is banned upon pain of large fines. In these countries he happily uses campsites but we hear not one word of criticism from him about this restriction, nor does he complain that this policy is ruining shopkeepers in Croatia et al.

When asked why he is happy to adopt this stance he informs us that he feels welcome in these countries and likes to support the local economy by using their campsites. Apparently in these countries, which allow no wild camping whatsoever, he feels welcome, but in his own country, where there are ample wild camping places, he feels unwelcome and 'chased away' because of a few spots that have restrictions.

Again, anyone reading my post carefully will also note that I have never said that it is incumbent on anyone to support the local economy. It's nice if they can but it isn't always possible. Again, my comments were about the contradiction of a man who is happy to use campsites in Europe and claims that he does this as he likes to support the local economy. But when he holidays in the U.K. he tries hard to find free camping spots and contributes nothing to the local economy, except of course the odd perishable food item.

I find his post perplexing and I don't think that he started this thread to stir up an argument. I believe that he simply can't see the illogical and fallacious rationale that he advances.

I'm also convinced that it's all part of an anti-UK theme that is in the DNA of many members of this forum. France/Europe always good, Britain always bad.

Archived