£ devaluation/Motorhome prices!

Colin Leake

At the moment WTO countries ( Boris's preferred option) have a 10% tariff on cars being bought or sold into the eu. Together with the devaluation of the pound that could mean a 25% increase!

And British made cars look like being more expensive to sell abroad than similar models made in the eu.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
John52 - 2016-10-08 4:42 PM

Brian Kirby - 2016-10-07 10:38 PM

Ultimately, if the £ remains low, inflation will rise, and we will all lose out

I am not sure the very wealthy lose out because their wealth is in assets which rise in line with inflation. The people who lose most through inflation seem to be those with no assets.

Otherwise excellent post as usual B-)

The recession didn't really affect those with wealth and the seriously wealthy actually attained more wealth. The gap is growing increasingly wider to the point it's now virtually a chasm between rich and poor. There was a very good tv documentary about this a few months ago and one person who has really 'upset' his fellow .01%ers is Nick Hanauer. His views make interesting reading.

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2014/06/the-pitchforks-are-coming-for-us-plutocrats-108014

http://www.nickhanauer.com/

Archiesgrandad - 2016-10-08 6:34 PM

Can I just correct John52's comment about the £/$ rate. In the 1940's it was $4 to £1, that's why we called the halfcrown coin "half a dollar".

AGD

Can I just correct Archiesgrandad's comment about the half crown. It was 2 and a half shillings, and there were 20 shillings to the pound. So 8 half crowns to the pound. Thats where I got it wrong. :$ In 1940 it was pegged at 4 dollars to the pound

dollar-verylong.gif.0dff7f8787a7030963b2eed661e183ff.gif

Bulletguy - 2016-10-08 6:16 PM

The recession didn't really affect those with wealth and the seriously wealthy actually attained more wealth. The gap is growing increasingly wider to the point it's now virtually a chasm between rich and poor. There was a very good tv documentary about this a few months ago and one person who has really 'upset' his fellow .01%ers is Nick Hanauer. His views make interesting reading.

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2014/06/the-pitchforks-are-coming-for-us-plutocrats-108014

http://www.nickhanauer.com/

Very interesting read. But at least he has done something to create his wealth. We don't even have that in Britain. Her Unelected Majesty the Queen stands as an example to us all that however clever you are, and however hard you work, you can never have the top job. Or be as wealthy as the Duke of Westminster for example, who has just inherited £10bn tax free. The more they intervene in the property market to pump up the price of houses, the more unequal it will get.

Continental made Motorhomes will be more expensive, and that will be almost immediate. British made ones will of course go up, but hopefully by not so much. However base chassis are made abroad, dont know of any UK produced medium weight commercial chassis that could be utilised ? Vauxhall are Renault by another name, dont know if they are still made in Luton ? OR could an importation direct from Japan work out cheaper ? Would certainly be interested in say a Toyota based medium weight motorhome 3500kg.

Internal components are mainly made in Mainland Europe, Electrolux fridges used to be made in Luton, but Dometic? I have no idea where they are made now ? Thetford are an American company, Carver from Brownhills used to make water systems, fires and boilers for Caravans & Motorhomes, they were taken over by Truma. Whale i believe are made in N.Ireland.Sargent electrical systems are UK made, So, there ARE alternative possibilities, especially if the threat of punitive tariffs from the EU actually happen ! Bring it on.

As said Interesting times.

Guest pelmetman

Transits are now made in Turkey.......Not part of the EU......or the Euro ;-)......

I wonder how much they cost in Turkish lira? :-S .........

Guest pelmetman
John52 - 2016-10-08 4:26 PM

nowtelse2do - 2016-10-07 9:58 PM

Aw! come on pepe....he bought Fanny and spent £100,000 on her,

Dave

8-) Has Horace had a sex change 8-)

Here's a picture of my Fanny ;-) .......

P1010169.JPG.5644fd6f55a2968314de5949b7024ced.JPG

John52 - 2016-10-08 8:44 PM

Can I just correct John52's comment about the £/$ rate. In the 1940's it was $4 to £1, that's why we called the halfcrown coin "half a dollar".

AGD

Can I just correct Archiesgrandad's comment about the half crown. It was 2 and a half shillings, and there were 20 shillings to the pound. So 8 half crowns to the pound. Thats where I got it wrong. :$ In 1940 it was pegged at 4 dollars to the pound

Has anyone else looked at this chart and noticed what happened to the Pound when we voted to stay in?

Kev

kevina - 2016-10-09 9:44 AM

AGD

Has anyone else looked at this chart and noticed what happened to the Pound when we voted to stay in?

Kev

I can remember 1972 quite clearly, we still had our industrial base, and were optimistic that it would strengthen by joining the Common Market, as we now know, it didnt, European Countries kept their industries by protecting them, we didnt.

Differant times. At a guess i would say that the pound rose on a tide of unfounded optimism. I voted to join in 1972, to leave in 2016. Having learnt a valuable lesson.

Guest pelmetman

AGD

Kev

I think you'll find the chart is more of a reflection of UK's boom and bust economy than an indication of the benefits of being a EU member ;-) ...........

Especially when you consider what a parlous state the EU is currently in >:-)........

Rayjsj - 2016-10-09 9:55 AM

AGD

Kev

I can remember 1972 quite clearly, we still had our industrial base, and were optimistic that it would strengthen by joining the Common Market, as we now know, it didnt, European Countries kept their industries by protecting them, we didnt.

Differant times. At a guess i would say that the pound rose on a tide of unfounded optimism. I voted to join in 1972, to leave in 2016. Having learnt a valuable lesson.

I remember 1972 as thats the year i first married. The referendum was 1975 which took us into the Common Market as it was then with a massive landslide majority vote of 67.23%. and a margin of 34.46% compared to an uncomfortable miniscule margin of just 3.78% in the recent referendum. A margin a certain Mr Farage said before the referendum he would see as "unfinished business" and demand a second ballot had it been that small a figure to remain. That quickly got hushed up!

Four years later in '79 Thatcher sat in number 10 poised to annihilate our industrial base through privatisation in the great big bargain day sell off. Mining...gone. Pottery manufacturing.....all gone. Rail industry....sold off. Public transport.....broken up and gone to private companies. Postal services.....literally given away. The jewel in the crown previously considered 'untouchable' and certainly taboo to meddle with, the NHS is now facing similar fate.

Whilst other countries invested and supported their industries, Thatcher opened the floodgates for the greedy get rich quick and we were daft enough to stand by and watch them get away with robbery.

No one ever referred to the half-crown as two and a half shillings, it was 2 shillings and sixpence, or two and six.

The dollar was four to the pound and was therefore worth five shillings, five shillings was known as a crown and from time to time crown coins have been issued. They were not in general circulation so no one spoke of crowns as a unit of currency, but half-crowns were in general use, and smart a**e gutter snipes like me would seek to look cool by referring to them as "half a dollar" because their value was half a crown, and thereby, half a dollar.

AGD

Derek Uzzell - 2016-10-10 9:31 AM

I remember when 2 firkins of diesel cost 5 groats - those were the days.

Blimey, 144 Pints of Diesel (or 18 Gallons if you prefer) for just 5 Groats. That must have been Supermarket prices Derek. I preferred proper Diesel from the Blacksmiths, none of that Supermarket rubbish with no additives.

Guest pelmetman
747 - 2016-10-10 10:35 AM

Derek Uzzell - 2016-10-10 9:31 AM

I remember when 2 firkins of diesel cost 5 groats - those were the days.

Blimey, 144 Pints of Diesel (or 18 Gallons if you prefer) for just 5 Groats. That must have been Supermarket prices Derek. I preferred proper Diesel from the Blacksmiths, none of that Supermarket rubbish with no additives.

I didn't think crude oil had been discovered in those days :-S ......I suspect it was whale oil ;-) ......

Archiesgrandad - 2016-10-09 4:56 PM

No one ever referred to the half-crown as two and a half shillings, it was 2 shillings and sixpence, or two and six.

The dollar was four to the pound and was therefore worth five shillings, five shillings was known as a crown and from time to time crown coins have been issued. They were not in general circulation so no one spoke of crowns as a unit of currency, but half-crowns were in general use, and smart a**e gutter snipes like me would seek to look cool by referring to them as "half a dollar" because their value was half a crown, and thereby, half a dollar.

AGD

You must be right, I am too young to remember all that of course *-)

But whatever the figures, its clear we have had massive inflation over the years which begs the question how much more do we need?

We should aim for the top competing on quality and innovation, instead of aiming for the bottom competing with Bangladesh on cheapness because they will beat us on that.

Dragging out some theory, the options to compete on are:

Cost to the customer,

Benefits - that the customer receives form purchasing the thing..

Time,- how quickly can the customer get the thing delivered and fixed.

Scope - what features does the M/H have, what doesn't features doesn't it have

Quality - How good is it. - Quality of Service.

Risk - What are the chances of it breaking, not being delivered etc

From following this forum it seems that most of us have had issues with one or more of these points, you could probably draw a shape linking these up,

If the UK is about to fail on cost because of imports, maybe UK manufacturer's can begin to push out M/H design out in other directions?

The other thing is that the UK in general are great designers but not manufacturer's, so if we own all the rights and the business itself, but have it manufactured elsewhere in the world and outside the euro-block

then maybe things will not be so bad, - We need to get from A to B and with Brexit we haven't got to "A" yet.

This is just the tip of the iceberg, the pound is going to be worth significantly less than it is a couple of years from now. If you want a van 'British' (Eg euro van full of Euro parts assembled by mostly British workers) or a Euro van, best buy soon!

For those with recently purchased vans, the change in the exchange rate will help to keep those residual values higher. My feeling is that just like the past, some euro Mfr's will pull out of the UK, unable to compete price-wise with native vans.

NB: My ski holiday has cost me a good £150 more than the previous year, mostly down to exchange rate changes.

According to the Brexiteer's this is all just the price of erm 'progress'. I beg to differ.

Nigel

Guest pelmetman
veletron - 2016-10-10 12:19 PM

According to the Brexiteer's this is all just the price of erm 'progress'. I beg to differ.

Nigel

i guess it depends on ....erm....how much you value your sovereignty ;-) ........

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2016/10/10/currency-guru-says-pound-slide-liberates-uk-from-malign-grip-of/

Really good article about this from the Telegraph, - I am old enough to remember "Black Monday" when the UK broke out of the ERM, - probably one of the best things that happened in my opinion, - just maybe we will see the same again if it gives a shot in the arm to UK manufacturing, and it may just give the euro block a shove,.

“History is going to judge that Brexit at last broke the political-economy lock of a British elite wedded to banking interests, even if it happened completely by accident,”

"I can remember 1972 quite clearly, we still had our industrial base, and were optimistic that it would strengthen by joining the Common Market, as we now know, it didnt, European Countries kept their industries by protecting them, we didnt.

Differant times. At a guess i would say that the pound rose on a tide of unfounded optimism. I voted to join in 1972, to leave in 2016. Having learnt a valuable lesson".

I am not sure that, "European Countries kept their industries by protecting them" is quite true? France has certainly suffered a huge shrinking of their Industrial base. So has Italy, Spain. Greece is poor as is Poland, etc.

Ireland is maybe the one country that has 'grown', but even so is far from 'rich'.

From what I see, and I probably need to go to Spaecsavers so possibly wide of the mark, it is just Germany that has benefited to a major degree, even expanded it's industrial base.

The whole World, even the States, have suffered from the enormous changes taking place in Asia.

Almost every other 'Euro' country is either as badly off as the UK, or worse.

Regardless of what membership has/has not achieved, it is clear that the EU is going through a crisis that I don't think it will survive without major change. So even staying in won't guarantee that things will continue as they have.

At least out of it, we can take advantage better of both the World market and what I think will be a collapsing European financial sector with only Germany propping it up.

We have a great Motorhome Industry and heritage, we should be encouraging them to develop, build, create and export. A great opportunity for not just the direct builders but for other companies to bring in the Water Pipe fittings, Door fittings, electrics, Windows, etc from India, China, Singapore, Korea, etc.

An opportunity to out build and undercut the EU manufacturers in both Italy and Germany.

Why isn't someone going out to China and getting them to produce Motorhome/Caravan Windows to compete with the best in Europe? Asking Korean giant Samsung for a Motorhome/Caravan Fridge? My Samsung Fridge/Freezer in my Kitchen is excellent?

It is what these countries are good at, we are good at design

Why should Dometic, Reich, Seitz have it their own way?

Shouldn't we be calling for a government sponsored department that acts as a go between : Bailey to Chinese potential parts manufacturers?

But remember that one of the prime aims of the original Community was Peace.

Countries united directly after the Second World War to prevent a third World War beginning in Europe.

Whatever we do in the World we should not forget the benefit of supporting the 'Continent', and our commitment to that Peace cause.

There is a huge amount of EU help being directed to Turkey in an effort to create a base of stability in the Middle East. Quite rightly in my opinion, but I suspect that area will place a back breaking burden on the EU and any members still part of it. Whatever we do, we should still play our part.

Well said Alan, but I think that on the question of peace in Europe I kinda feel that the main reason it has endured since WW2 is that other countries throughout the free world have allowed Germany to create their Greater German European Empire without fighting for it , they had started 2 World Wars in their previous attempts to achieve it, but this time they used the money earned from the industrial base which they had created with American money paid through the Marshall Plan.

It started with the Iron and Steel co-operation, which stopped Germany having to fight France for Alsace and it's resources, they then bribed Belgium to join by giving them the HQ and all that wealth, they then proceeded to bribe or frighten most of the other countries to join in, using German and later British money. Why the UK got sucked in I'll never understand, and the good old US of A let them do it because they were terrified of the Russians.

The apparent wealth of the minor countries like Ireland and Belgium etc, is not true wealth, it is based on artificial tax breaks and the other incentives funded by the EU, that enables them to attract companies like Google and IBM to have a small office there and so avoid taxes elsewhere. One day it will have to end.

People talk about us being worse off if we no longer have a seat at the top table, but we have had such a seat for 40 years and what did that achieve? We are told that Margaret Thatcher banged the table and got us our rebate, but we were never told if she had to make concessions to get her "victory", and in any case Blair gave half of it back when he tried to get the top job for himself. Having failed at that he then sold us to the USA to use in Iraq. What else did we achieve?

I cannot understand for the life of me why politicians of all persuasions and senior civil servants have for 40 years wanted to be part of such a self serving, anti British, undemocratic, collection of losers. I don't blame the EU for all our our problems, our own politicians have more than created their fair share, but I cannot see what they thought we would achieve.

AGD

Bulletguy - 2016-10-09 2:57 PM

Rayjsj - 2016-10-09 9:55 AM

AGD

Kev

I remember 1972 as thats the year i first married. The referendum was 1975 which took us into the Common Market as it was then with a massive landslide majority vote of 67.23%. and a margin of 34.46% compared to an uncomfortable miniscule margin of just 3.78% in the recent referendum. A margin a certain Mr Farage said before the referendum he would see as "unfinished business" and demand a second ballot had it been that small a figure to remain. That quickly got hushed up!

Four years later in '79 Thatcher sat in number 10 poised to annihilate our industrial base through privatisation in the great big bargain day sell off. Mining...gone. Pottery manufacturing.....all gone. Rail industry....sold off. Public transport.....broken up and gone to private companies. Postal services.....literally given away. The jewel in the crown previously considered 'untouchable' and certainly taboo to meddle with, the NHS is now facing similar fate.

Whilst other countries invested and supported their industries, Thatcher opened the floodgates for the greedy get rich quick and we were daft enough to stand by and watch them get away with robbery.

Just a small correction, Edward Heath took us into the common market in 1972, Harold Wilson held the referendum to confirm membership in 1975. Well that's how I remember it!

pelmetman - 2016-10-10 7:02 PM

veletron - 2016-10-10 12:19 PM

Nigel

i guess it depends on ....erm....how much you value your sovereignty ;-) ........

Or a case of a" Stay inner" being a bad loser?

I will be interested to see some comments when we are finally out

Things can only get better, nothing can be worse than being controlled by another country (Brussel) and before any one says it, I KNOW Brussells is not a country, but they sure have a lot of influence

PJay

Archived