New Pollution Regulations France

Vernon B

colin - 2017-02-04 9:57 AM

derek pringle - 2017-02-04 9:14 AM

hi all,

Pity we cannot buy these stickers through the RAC/CC/C&CC or any other club.

Even MMM

cheers

derek

The cost of these stickers seems to be just an admin and postage charge, I don't see any gain in an extra layer of admin once the initial creases are ironed out.

Hi Colin,

good point,but i am not sure if this is a yearly charge or a 1 off for the vehicle. Just seems worth paying a couple of quid extra to save the hassle.

cheers

derek

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The French pollution ‘sticker’ system is not primarily based on emissions criteria, but on vehicle type and date-of-first-registration.

"WHICH STICKER WILL APPLY FOR MY CAR?

This is how the new Crit’Air stickers will be applied to your car.

CRIT’AIR GREEN VEHICLES (GREEN AND WHITE STICKER)

Lowest band restricted only for 100% pure-electric or hydrogen vehicles.

CRIT’AIR 1 (PURPLE STICKER)

Plug-in hybrid cars and Euro 5 and 6 petrol models (registered from 1 January 2011).

CRIT’AIR 2 (YELLOW STICKER)

Euro 4 petrol-powered cars (registered between 1 January 2006 to 31 December 2010) and Euro 5 and 6 diesel models (registered from 1 January 2011).

CRIT’AIR 3 (ORANGE STICKER)

Euro 2 and 3 petrol cars (registered from 1 January 1997 to 31 December 2005).

Petrol cars registered before 1997 do not qualify for a Crit’Air sticker at all and will be barred from entering the city 8am and 8pm Monday to Friday

Crit’Air 3 also includes Euro 4 diesel cars (registered between 1 January 2006 to 31 December 2010).

CRIT’AIR 4 (DARK RED STICKER)

Euro 3 diesel cars registered between 1 January 2001 and 31 December 2005.

CRIT’AIR 5 (DARK BLUE STICKER)

Euro 2 diesels, registered from 1 January 1997 to 31 December 2000.

Diesel cars older than this are not eligible for a Crit’Air and will be barred from entering the city 8am and 8pm Monday to Friday."

The categories are specified (in French) here

http://www.developpement-durable.gouv.fr/Un-certificat-qualite-de-l-air,43566.html

There are 4 categories for diesel-fuelled private ‘cars' - Sticker “5” for Euro 2 up to Sticker “2" for Euro 5 and 6.

In principle then, your June 2011 UK-first-registered motorhome should be awarded a Sticker “2” appropriate to Euro 5 and 6 diesel-fuelled ‘cars’ even though you know it is actually Euro 4 compliant.

A simple by-registration-date approach will always tend to be optimistic for vehicles regarding Euro Number compliance (ie. some diesel Euro 2 vehicles will be given a Euro 3 Sticker “4”, etc.) however, statistically, that type of error should not much matter.

The alternative would be to award the appropriate sticker based on data taken from vehicle documentation. This would be much trickier and, in the case of UK-registered motorhomes, the relevant data will usually not be on their V5C registration document.

Hi all, filled in online form Saturday (older van so group 5) only answered questions marked with red *. Took photo and sent page two of reg. cert. Paid with Debit card. Checked bank details this morning(Monday) they took £4.26 sterling. Just waiting now for sticker.

George

Just ordered mine and had the confirmation email. Although my Frankia is Euro 5 and first registered 01/03/2013 I noticed when filling in the form that if you fill in the vehicle type , in my case van over 3.5 ton it comes under the orange 3 badge. With the V5 showing 5 ton chassis , I thought it might be rejected if I filled in Class 2 Euro 5.

I have no intention of driving into Paris, but do travel through Rouen on most trips and Lyon occasionally. Knowing the French it will either die a death as the "breathalyser" or suddenly apply in every city in France !

Now to try and find an old fashioned tax disc holder to keep it in. Having had a replacement windscreen , I lost my German " Umplakette " as they do not come off in one piece !

pagey - 2017-02-07 10:43 AMit would be nice if the germans accept the french sticker instead of having to get an Umplakette aswell after all it is the eu

Actually I'd prefer if the French & others would standardize on the German system, which is more linked to actual emissions, not merely year of manufacture and has provisions for upgrading via feinstaubfilter.

Derek Uzzell - 2017-02-02 6:00 PM...................(It might also be useful to know how much of a UK V5C registration certificate needs to be uploaded when applying for a sticker - presumably just the front page, but who knows?)

So far, I have applied successfully, and had had an acknowledgement. My V5C is very "sparse" so I'm dubious as to whether it will be acceptable but hey, DVLA issued it! :-D I submitted a .jpg of page two of the V5C, as that is the page that contains the details, so seemed the most logical to send. The image is a scan, and was reduced to below 200kb (139kb) in Photoshop Elements. Image looked surprisingly good, and what little information is present is clearly legible.

I will see if there is a follow-up from them, rejecting the application, or whether they ask for evidence of Euro 5 status, in which case I have both Hymer and Fiat CoCs that I can send.

I'm not that fussed about the French being able to track me. I seldom park outside car parks, and my speeding behaviour is much as in UK! :-D

hagrid - 2017-02-04 11:09 AM...................is quoted as the engine manufacturer and the CO is 0.035 gm/KM This is a euro 4 vehicle. The CO figure does not appear on the V5.

The figure you are quoting is for CO. CO2 (carbon dioxide) will be near (or just over) 200g/km. Our Euro 5 is 189.

chris - 2017-02-07 4:07 PM

give up. cant copy V5 to 200kb and our van has been uprated to 3.7ton from 3.5ton but iS euro 5 So really confused now. I have certificate of conformity and its in german so struggling to see co2 on it too.

The Dethleffs CofC for our Globecar has it on second side near bottom, item 49, it will be around 200g/km,

colin - 2017-02-07 7:33 PM

chris - 2017-02-07 4:07 PM

give up. cant copy V5 to 200kb and our van has been uprated to 3.7ton from 3.5ton but iS euro 5 So really confused now. I have certificate of conformity and its in german so struggling to see co2 on it too.

The Dethleffs CofC for our Globecar has it on second side near bottom, item 49, it will be around 200g/km,

That is interesting as my new globecar CoC doesn’t have a CO2 emission value on it. it looks like Globecar are being inconsistent with their CoC.

Item 49 on my Dethleffs / Poessl COC says

“siehe CoC Basis Fug” which roughly translates as see the CoC of the base vehicle (i.e the fiat CoC). (which is 177g Co2/km out of interest)

If they include the CO2 figure on the final CoC, that is going to cause issues come April with the new road tax system.

I registered my new Euro6 van a couple of weeks ago and it is taxed as PLG at £235

Gerry McG - 2017-02-07 7:49 PM.....................If they include the CO2 figure on the final CoC, that is going to cause issues come April with the new road tax system.

To do that, the converters would have to have the finished conversion tested to establish its CO2 emissions. With the possible exception of PVCs, all motorhomes have a greater frontal area, weigh more, and are in many cases less aerodynamic, than the vans from which they are derived. Greater frontal area, lower aerodynamics, and greater weight, will all have an effect on the CO2 emissions, and the test is extensive and expensive, especially when the need to test all different models (and the motorhome industry's love of product churning) is taken into account. So, as the vehicles are authorised under ECWVTA procedures, aimed at low volume production vehicles, the CO2 tests are waived.

Brian, I appreciate that.

I was only passing comment on what Colin said in his earlier post which appears to say Globecar have populated his final COC CO2 figure, whereas they definitely did not with mine.

I agree they should not but Volin's earlier post indicated they fid for some odd reason.

All very strange...

Looking at the Grenoble link , I can see all sorts of problems if they post a daily restriction. How are you supposed to know when approaching Grenoble whether you can drive through ? I note restrictions posted on the 24th of January are for vehicles without the Crit Air and the "smokers" !!

Not sure how they are going to inform a driver what restriction applies each day on polluted days ? Surely they do not expect a check of the internet daily before driving through a city and how far out the restricted zones are from the centres !1

Only the French !!

https://www.crit-air.fr/en/information-about-the-critair-vignette/french-environmental-zones-zcr/environmental-zone-of-grenoble.html#c26611

It’s going to be interesting to see what happens come April regarding road-taxing of VW “California” models. These are ‘single-stage’ motorhomes and, as a consequence, I’d expect a California’s CofC to always carry a CO2 value.

It may be recalled that the DVLA treated new Californias as ‘cars’ initially and assigned them to the UK graduated tax-classes based on the CO2 value on their CofC. Then (following complaints) Californias were reassigned to the P/LG class together with new ‘multi-stage’ <3500kg motorhomes irrespective of whether the latter had a CO2 value on their CofC .

More recently, the DVLA reversed that decision so that new <3500kg motohomes having a CO2 value on their final-stage CofC would be assigned to the UK graduated tax-classes. Presumably that’s where new VW Californias go at the moment?

whisturx - 2017-02-08 9:34 AM

Looking at the Grenoble link , I can see all sorts of problems if they post a daily restriction. How are you supposed to know when approaching Grenoble whether you can drive through ? I note restrictions posted on the 24th of January are for vehicles without the Crit Air and the "smokers" !!

Not sure how they are going to inform a driver what restriction applies each day on polluted days ? Surely they do not expect a check of the internet daily before driving through a city and how far out the restricted zones are from the centres !1

Only the French !!

https://www.crit-air.fr/en/information-about-the-critair-vignette/french-environmental-zones-zcr/environmental-zone-of-grenoble.html#c26611

During 1969 and 1970 I was living and driving in London, but I’ve never driven there since (nor intend to in future). Consequently, although I’m aware of London’s LEZ and Congestion Charge systems, these are only of academic interest to me and I’m unfamiliar with their operational details.

The French anti-polution measures are aimed primarily at motorists who live in or near to the French cities to which the measures apply, or travel regularly into those cities. There is plenty of on-line information to help Parisiens and the Grenoblois understand their own city’s system and there will have been lots of press coverage well in advance of the implementation dates.

I can’t see the possibility that ‘foreign’ motorists might have trouble with the French systems being any different from ‘foreign’ motorists possibly having trouble with the German or UK (London) equivalents.

My only criticism of the French system is that the German and London systems work on a 365 days a year restriction on vehicle emissions , whereas the French is dependent on weather conditions on the day. A potential nightmare for a French commuter who has not checked before leaving for work !

Archived