New Pollution Regulations France

Vernon B

gerrycan - 2017-02-18 7:01 PM

Has anyone received their 'sticker' yet?

I applied for mine on 7th February and the money was debited from my card almost immediately. I have 'tracked my application' and according to the website it is 'Order in progress'.

I know the French might not turn things around as quickly as the Germans and they are probably swamped with requests but it would be nice to see something for my money!!

There is a mention on the French website at: https://www.certificat-air.gouv.fr/en/foire-aux-questions which says that you can expect the Air Quality certificate within 30 days of application.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
monique.hubrechts@gm - 2017-02-18 1:07 PMEntering Antwerp city low emission is open again for foreigners despite of Euro emission level. Due to privacy input in their data base. As decided by the the short court

any link for this? Does it apply to NL registered motor homes?

Googling reveals no info.

In Antwerp we stay at the Vogelsang aire, which is just outside the umweltzone. Tram from Expo to centrum.Seldom any reason to drive into the city, but we have done so in the past.

Applied for the French Crit d'Air, although I doubt we'll need it since, as in Antwerp, we usually park up in the Bois du Boulogne camping & bus in. So far the camping is just outside the zone (as is the Bois du Vincennes freecamping aire).

Correct me if I have got it wrong but this only applies to entering certain cities, not travelling through France on the way south?

The only city where I might be affected is Rouen as the main autoroute skirts the city centre. As it is a main route i guess it is not affected by any emiission regs, or all thetrucks will have to follow suit?

I agree with one oster who felt this could be the same as the breathlyser issue, everybody rushed to comply and then the French ignored it. But as we are now the bad guys who have voted for Brexit the French may decide to make examples of us brits, who knows.

TIp - For those still waiting for their sticker and leaving for France shortly it might be worth printing off a French version of the tracker page showing your application number and the state of its progress. If challenged you can show that document to the French copper, look them in the eyes and give them a French shrug of the shoulders. Just a thought.

V

nowtelse2do - 2017-02-21 9:01 PMIt's also my understanding that if you use the bypasses you don't need the sticker, and that means the periphereique. I hope I'm not wrong.Dave

I read somewhere that it does apply to the Peripherique, so you might be wrong!

Yes, I read this to mean that the Periferique is not included in the zone:

" The city area of Paris is defined without suburbs and includes the area inside the street ring “Boulevard périphérique”. "

I note the zone in Grenoble covers the motorway.

"According to an announcement from the city of Grenoble, the vignette Crit’Air will also be mandatory on the highways crossing the conurbation Grenoble-Metropole. The obligation of having the vignette Crit’Air begins northerly from the toll station of Voreppe on the A48, southward from the toll station of Le Crozet/Vif on the A51 and westerly from the toll station of Crolles on the A41. The A480, which crosses the city of Grenoble, is also concerned."

Colin17 - 2017-02-22 3:51 PM
Billggski - 2017-02-22 11:42 AMhttps://www.crit-air.fr/en/information-about-the-critair-vignette/french-environmental-zones-zcr/geographical-zone-paris.html
I note the zone in Grenoble covers the motorway."According to an announcement from the city of Grenoble, the vignette Crit’Air will also be mandatory on the highways crossing the conurbation Grenoble-Metropole. The obligation of having the vignette Crit’Air begins northerly from the toll station of Voreppe on the A48, southward from the toll station of Le Crozet/Vif on the A51 and westerly from the toll station of Crolles on the A41. The A480, which crosses the city of Grenoble, is also concerned."

Wow - is one supposed to transit in that region?

At least the Germans have the sense to exclude autobahns that cut through umweltzones.

JeffersonCampervan - 2017-02-22 9:22 PM

At least the Germans have the sense to exclude autobahns that cut through umweltzones.

Don't motorways cause pollution? You can see the problem if conurbations really want to control air pollution ... I think that driving an older vehicle is going to get a lot more complicated before too long.

The limits of the Paris ZCR are shown here

https://www.crit-air.fr/fr/informations-sur-la-vignette-critair/zones-a-circulation-restreinte-en-france-zcr/la-delimitation-de-la-zone-a-paris.html

https://www.crit-air.fr/fileadmin/crit-air.fr/Karten/map-Paris-gross.png

A GOOGLE-translation of the ZCR description is

"Description of the boundaries of the zone

The restricted area covers the whole of Paris intramuros, without taking into account the suburbs, that is to say inside the peripheral boulevard. The peripheral boulevard is officially not a motorway and is designated to the east of Paris by the sign E15 (European road 15). The Bois de Boulogne, to the west of Paris, and the Bois de Vincennes, to the south-east, are not included in the restricted area, although they form part of the territory of the capital.

On the image, the boundary of the restricted area of Paris is marked by the peripheral boulevard colored red. To enlarge the image please click on the map."

Derek Uzzell - 2017-02-23 9:04 AM

The limits of the Paris ZCR are shown here

https://www.crit-air.fr/fr/informations-sur-la-vignette-critair/zones-a-circulation-restreinte-en-france-zcr/la-delimitation-de-la-zone-a-paris.html

https://www.crit-air.fr/fileadmin/crit-air.fr/Karten/map-Paris-gross.png

A GOOGLE-translation of the ZCR description is

"Description of the boundaries of the zone

The restricted area covers the whole of Paris intramuros, without taking into account the suburbs, that is to say inside the peripheral boulevard. The peripheral boulevard is officially not a motorway and is designated to the east of Paris by the sign E15 (European road 15). The Bois de Boulogne, to the west of Paris, and the Bois de Vincennes, to the south-east, are not included in the restricted area, although they form part of the territory of the capital.

On the image, the boundary of the restricted area of Paris is marked by the peripheral boulevard colored red. To enlarge the image please click on the map."

Derek having been to these links to the website I have become a little confused again (not too difficult these days). Not sure a MH of 3.5T is in the M1 category. Our April 2006 registered 2.8JTD would qualify for an orange Euro 4 vignette if in M1 but I believe it is truly a Euro 3. If I treat it as a truck beeing 3.5T or over then it's the grey Euro 3 Truck vignette. In the link below from the website there is a section which reads

" Indication about the classification of motor homes

Motor homes with a total weight up to 3, 5 tons are classified as cars.

Motor homes with a total weight of 3,5 tons or more are classified as trucks.

Is it me or is that most unhelpful way of distinguishing the category as it would seem a 3.5t MH comes within both.

https://www.crit-air.fr/en/information-about-the-critair-vignette/the-french-vignette-critair/who-will-get-which-critair-colours.html

Veronica

P.s. Just got my son to read it in French he says the translation on the website is incorrect and it should read

Motor homes with a total weight LESS THAN 3, 5 tons are classified as cars.

So I think we are a truck.

Muswell - 2017-02-23 3:44 AM
JeffersonCampervan - 2017-02-22 9:22 PM

Don't motorways cause pollution? You can see the problem if conurbations really want to control air pollution ... I think that driving an older vehicle is going to get a lot more complicated before too long.

I suspect the thinking is that a diesel driving around a city constantly, stopping & starting,etc. produces more pollution  than one passing through on the autobahn in 20 minutes.

Similar thinking in setting up the 2 umweltplakette-free specified motorhome routes to the Köln Stellplatz, which lies within the green zone.

These measures reduce pollution, not eliminate it.

Violet1956 - 2017-02-23 9:39 AM

Derek having been to these links to the website I have become a little confused again (not too difficult these days). Not sure a MH of 3.5T is in the M1 category. Our April 2006 registered 2.8JTD would qualify for an orange Euro 4 vignette if in M1 but I believe it is truly a Euro 3. If I treat it as a truck beeing 3.5T or over then it's the grey Euro 3 Truck vignette. In the link below from the website there is a section which reads

Is it me or is that most unhelpful way of distinguishing the category as it would seem a 3.5t MH comes within both.

https://www.crit-air.fr/en/information-about-the-critair-vignette/the-french-vignette-critair/who-will-get-which-critair-colours.html

Veronica

P.s. Just got my son to read it in French he says the translation on the website is incorrect and it should read

Where Type Approval is concerned, motorhomes are categorised in the M1S category.

As you rightly point out, according to the advice (English or French) given on the Crit’Air website a motorhome (or any light utility vehicle) with a Maximum Authorised Mass (MAM) of 3.5 tonnes (3500kg) or higher would be classified as a "poids-lourd” (“heavyweight”) vehicle.

The reality is that the MAM of most reasonably-sized French-registered motohomes will be 3.5 tonnes and they will be treated in French motoring regulations as a "véhicule léger” (lightweight vehicle) exactly as if they were private cars. No French-registered motorhome will be recorded in its documentation as having a MAM of, say, 3.499 tonnes - it will always be recorded as having a MAM of 3.5 tonnes (or 3500kg).

Logically, I’d expect "Light Utility Vehicles” to be defined as having a MAM of less than or equal to 3.5 t with the MAM of motorhomes treated similarly. The in-English advice would then read

"Indication about the classification of motor homes

Motor homes with a total weight up to and including 3.5 tonnes are classified as cars.

Motor homes with a total weight more than 3.5 tonnes are classified as trucks.”

(If one wanted to be really picky, it could be argued that the use of the word “tons” in the English-language advice should relate to the UK ton that has a value of 1016kg (2240lb), rather than the French ‘tonne’ that has a value of 1000kg. On that basis 3.5 UK tons would translate to a MAM of 3556kg)

The question of whether or not a ‘heavyweight’ motorhome would be treated as a ‘car’ or a ’truck’ was touched on in a French motorhome magazine earlier this year. The following comment was made

"It is not yet known whether heavyweight recreational vehicles will have to follow the same classification as commercial vehicles. As the presence of heavyweight motorhomes in the capital (Paris) is minimal, it's not an issue at present. More news to follow...”

As your motorhome was first-registered in April 2006 and (I assume) its MAM is NOT HIGHER than 3500kg, I suggest you opt for a Number 3 sticker and to hell with what the Crit-Air website says, and even though you know that its motor is Euro-3 compliant.

Derek Uzzell - 2017-02-23 2:28 PM

Violet1956 - 2017-02-23 9:39 AM

Veronica

Where Type Approval is concerned, motorhomes are categorised in the M1S category.

As you rightly point out, according to the advice (English or French) given on the Crit’Air website a motorhome (or any light utility vehicle) with a Maximum Authorised Mass (MAM) of 3.5 tonnes (3500kg) or higher would be classified as a "poids-lourd” (“heavyweight”) vehicle.

The reality is that the MAM of most reasonably-sized French-registered motohomes will be 3.5 tonnes and they will be treated in French motoring regulations as a "véhicule léger” (lightweight vehicle) exactly as if they were private cars. No French-registered motorhome will be recorded in its documentation as having a MAM of, say, 3.499 tonnes - it will always be recorded as having a MAM of 3.5 tonnes (or 3500kg).

Logically, I’d expect "Light Utility Vehicles” to be defined as having a MAM of less than or equal to 3.5 t with the MAM of motorhomes treated similarly. The in-English advice would then read

"Indication about the classification of motor homes

Motor homes with a total weight up to and including 3.5 tonnes are classified as cars.

Motor homes with a total weight more than 3.5 tonnes are classified as trucks.”

(If one wanted to be really picky, it could be argued that the use of the word “tons” in the English-language advice should relate to the UK ton that has a value of 1016kg (2240lb), rather than the French ‘tonne’ that has a value of 1000kg. On that basis 3.5 UK tons would translate to a MAM of 3556kg)

The question of whether or not a ‘heavyweight’ motorhome would be treated as a ‘car’ or a ’truck’ was touched on in a French motorhome magazine earlier this year. The following comment was made

"It is not yet known whether heavyweight recreational vehicles will have to follow the same classification as commercial vehicles. As the presence of heavyweight motorhomes in the capital (Paris) is minimal, it's not an issue at present. More news to follow...”

As your motorhome was first-registered in April 2006 and (I assume) its MAM is NOT HIGHER than 3500kg, I suggest you opt for a Number 3 sticker and to hell with what the Crit-Air website says, and even though you know that its motor is Euro-3 compliant.

Thanks for that Derek. I think I should also perfect the Gallic shrug in case I am challenged by a gendarme. Although I am a "remoaner" at heart this is the kind of stuff that makes me wonder why we ever countenanced the French being involved in drafting European wide regulations when their own are so c**p. Vague, imperfectly described on official websites and probably to be observed more in the breach by the French themselves. ;-)

Veronica

Veronica

Just received an email confirmation of my order for a, Certificats Qualité de l'Air and the assurance that it will be posted to me shortly.

I have a Euro 5 vehicle (2014 Boxer) and have been given a yellow "CRIT Air" sticker (which is in group 2). Now all I have to wait for is the post.

Had email too. It is an orange group 3 sticker but we have euro 5 engine????? We are 3.7ton so had to declare vehicle as Private Heavy goods vehicle . It's also wrong as there is an extra letter added to our number plate. I emailed them back in Feb to say it's wrong but they have ignored it. Oh well.

My email from them has a red sticker.

When I first had the Germans one I had a yellow sticker, however after my screen broke the sticker went so I re all pied and got a green one. Thought the Germans were met to be efficent

My email from them has a red sticker.

When I first had the Germans one I had a yellow sticker, however after my screen broke the sticker went so I re all pied and got a green one. Thought the Germans were met to be efficent

Mickt - 2017-03-02 12:50 PMMy email from them has a red sticker. When I first had the Germans one I had a yellow sticker, however after my screen broke the sticker went so I re all pied and got a green one. Thought the Germans were met to be efficent

My email from France also shows #4-  red - or brown? -(01 Hymer B654). After seeing your previous posts I shot €6 off to Berlin hoping for a similar "error" - no luck, got a yellow.

Going to be hard as our petrol 04 Winnebago has a green, but it's back in Canada now. Generally I wouldn't take the Hymer into umweltzones anyway.And the yellow will be accepted in Prague in the immediate future .

Archived