Press Bias

John52

Politics is getting dirtier by the day and we are losing out because of it. I think that it was wrong of Jeremy Corbyn to make a late decision to appear on the programme last night. The leaders of the two main parties in the UK should have attempted to come to some agreement as to whether they appear, affording each a reasonable opportunity to prepare if they want the public to truly understand their policies and compare them. I consider that it is a mark of disrespect to the voting public that anyone such engage in petty manoeuvring. I wish somebody in the audience had asked him why he made the decision to appear so late. Absent of any explanation I smell a bit of a rat, probably not JC himself but a devious Spad. As for the debate, at least it did allow lesser political figures to reach a bigger audience. It was a welcome antidote to the caricatures we are constantly fed by the Murdoch press.

Veronica

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Barryd999 - 2017-06-01 2:14 PM

The criteria and vetting for the debate apparently was quite comprehensive.

155 people recruited for audience of 134

Two-phase online and telephone approach to recruitment

Audience members selected using detailed questionnaire designed by ComRes and approved by BBC

Adults who campaigned at any election from 2014 filtered out

Conservative and Labour had the largest share of supporters in the room

Smaller parties supported by appropriately lower number

50:50 split of Remain and Leave voters at EU referendum

Audience members contacted by phone and rescreened on key questions to ensure consistency with previous answers

Maybe it wasnt biased its just that everything Amber Rudd and Paul Nutjob said was just complete Tosh and the people have woken up to the fact that actually unless your a large corporation or super wealthy the Tories are no longer the party for you.

TM not turning up I Reckon has been severely damaging for her. I think they are in trouble and rightly so.

I thoroughly enjoyed the debate, it showed the Tories up for what they are which is not a party for the people. I am not saying the others are perfect either but the Tories have to be stopped. I Thought Tim Farron was superb. :D

Faggott is the most comfortable at these debates out of Lib/Lab/Con probably because he has nothing to lose ... What points during the debate did you find complete tosh and why when it comes to Rudd and Nuttall ... I found it difficult to get any of the points through the screaming and shouting and talking over each other ... Hardly surprising HM Mrs May didn't attend or the Queen of Scotland when they turn into slanging matches

antony1969 - 2017-06-01 2:50 PM

Audience members selected using detailed questionnaire designed by ComRes and approved by BBC

Audience members contacted by phone and rescreened on key questions to ensure consistency with previous answers

Maybe it wasnt biased its just that everything Amber Rudd and Paul Nutjob said was just complete Tosh and the people have woken up to the fact that actually unless your a large corporation or super wealthy the Tories are no longer the party for you.

TM not turning up I Reckon has been severely damaging for her. I think they are in trouble and rightly so.

I thoroughly enjoyed the debate, it showed the Tories up for what they are which is not a party for the people. I am not saying the others are perfect either but the Tories have to be stopped. I Thought Tim Farron was superb. :D

Faggott is the most comfortable at these debates out of Lib/Lab/Con probably because he has nothing to lose ... What points during the debate did you find complete tosh and why when it comes to Rudd and Nuttall ... I found it difficult to get any of the points through the screaming and shouting and talking over each other ... Hardly surprising HM Mrs May didn't attend or the Queen of Scotland when they turn into slanging matches

In the case of NutJob it was just the usual tosh about Australian Points systems (Even the Tories have admitted that wont work here), spouting off about leaving the EU without paying our divorce bill, Muslims, etc etc I could go on but it was pointless him being there apart from a bit of entertainment.

With Rudd it was more a case of what she didnt say really. The Tory game is up. All she could do really was try and sling a bit of mud to try and back up what the right wing media are trying so hard to push into the psyche of the British Public. Coalition of Chaos, Money Tree, etc. Come on Antony, I dont think your a true blue Tory. You just think they may deliver you the Brexit you want. What a price to pay for it though huh, as if it wasnt going to be costly enough do you really want to see the NHS privatised, the disabled suffering, Pensioners suffering, further child poverty (This list goes on)? There is a risk of course in taxing the top 5% and big business but its a risk we have to take as the alternative is unthinkable or should be for the mass majority in this country.

There is a lot I am not comfortable with as regards Labour and as said I would prefer to see Lib Dems get in to be honest but its a case of stopping the Tory train which unless your a millionaire or part of some big tax dodging conglomerate can only be bad for you and your country.

I gather the lead is now down to just 3 points.

StuartO - 2017-06-01 9:29 AM

The BBC commentators suggested that Jeremy Corbyn turned up at the last minute as a tactical ploy

Wasn't exactly last minute though was it?

Are they trying to say Theresa May would have turned up if she had known even earlier that Jeremy Corbyn was going *-)

Since he has been challenging her to a face to face TV debate for months thats a real stretch ...

Violet1956 - 2017-06-01 2:49 PM

Politics is getting dirtier by the day

Veronica

Oh I dunno, politics has been a dirty business for as long as I can remember.

See how the Newspaper owners are going for Jeremy Corbyn over 50% top rate - Wilson got to 98%

I regret soaking up the sh*te in the Daily Mail and the things I said about Harold Wilson. He did a lot of good. He told the Americans not one British Soldier would set foot in Vietnam - if only Bliar had done that over Iraq and Afghanistan...

Violet1956 - 2017-06-01 2:49 PM I wish somebody in the audience had asked (Jeremy Corbyn) why he made the decision to appear so late

So do I, but they didn't. Since he hasn't had the chance to explain it I think we should give the benefit of the doubt rather than assume the worst.

antony1969 - 2017-06-01 1:38 PM

Bulletguy - 2017-06-01 1:07 PM

antony1969 - 2017-06-01 10:44 AM

John52 - 2017-06-01 9:15 AM

antony1969 - 2017-06-01 9:07 AM

You've lost me ... Theresa May making excuses for what

For not turning up to speak to us.

A left wing audience it would have raised the housing crisis as a priority. Wheras a right wing audience wouldn't as they tend to profit from it.

But she always said she was never going to do it so why would she make an excuse up ???

So the audience was made up of right wing landlords and home owners ???

As others noted, had Corbyn refused to debate with May, that would have been jumped on immediately. I was surprised by her response and even had i been a May supporter i would not be content with her attitude. It's since been mentioned about making it compulsory for all political leaders to take part in future 'live' debates and personally i don't think that's a bad idea.

Corbyn should still have entered the debate though with one proviso......a podium with TM's name on. Viewers could draw their own conclusions from that.

But Corbyn did refuse to debate only to go back on what he said ... She however stuck to her guns ... Your clutching at straws , if Corbyn won last night because she didn't show then thats good for you and if they had a head to head which John believes Corbyn would win then thats also good for you so I don't get what the problem is ... If the electorate are so disgusted at her no show then they'll give her a kicking next week ... Lets see.

As far as i was aware May said from the outset she would not take part in any 'live' tv debate where Corbyn had initially agreed, only to withdraw when May refused to debate. I don't know about any debate "last night" as i'm not at home but as i said previously, by far the best approach would be for Corbyn to debate (with others) leaving an empty podium and mic clearly marked "Theresa May MP".

I doubt it would have worked too well if Clinton or Trump had refused to take part in a 'live' tv debate on the run up to Presidency.

Barryd999 - 2017-06-01 4:08 PM

In the case of NutJob it was just the usual tosh about Australian Points systems (Even the Tories have admitted that wont work here), spouting off about leaving the EU without paying our divorce bill, Muslims, etc etc I could go on but it was pointless him being there apart from a bit of entertainment.

With Rudd it was more a case of what she didnt say really. The Tory game is up. All she could do really was try and sling a bit of mud to try and back up what the right wing media are trying so hard to push into the psyche of the British Public. Coalition of Chaos, Money Tree, etc. Come on Antony, I dont think your a true blue Tory. You just think they may deliver you the Brexit you want. What a price to pay for it though huh, as if it wasnt going to be costly enough do you really want to see the NHS privatised, the disabled suffering, Pensioners suffering, further child poverty (This list goes on)? There is a risk of course in taxing the top 5% and big business but its a risk we have to take as the alternative is unthinkable or should be for the mass majority in this country.

There is a lot I am not comfortable with as regards Labour and as said I would prefer to see Lib Dems get in to be honest but its a case of stopping the Tory train which unless your a millionaire or part of some big tax dodging conglomerate can only be bad for you and your country.

Remember Im not a Nuttall fan but regarding what he said , he put forward an Australian points style system for immigration that Ive not heard from anyone why that could not work here regardless of what the Tories say ... Time will tell if the divorce bill will be paid and if it gets nasty as many in the EU want then it may well become reality we don't pay it ... As for Muslims he mentioned Islamic terrorism which unless i'm mistaken is exactly what these fellas are Islamic terrorists , he'd did go on to say the vast majority of Muslims here are decent folk only to be met with the usual disgust from the wets ... We all vote for who we feel comfortable with and if your comfortable with what an IRA , Hamas , Hezbollah sympathiser and his anti-Semitic white British hating colleagues say then your entitled to vote for them but given the factual description of him and his colleagues maybe cut someone like Mr Nuttall a little slack who doesn't support terrorism , isn't anti-Semitic and only wants fair immigration as well as tackling home grown Islamic terrorists ... I think the Standard have the lead down to 3 points but on 5live this morning a pollster who I can't remember his name said its more like 12% and on the night is likely to be more with a Tory majority of 90 ... Time will tell , lets hope we don't have someone who rejoices in British forces deaths in charge

Jeremy Corbyn seems to have conducted a much better campaign that I anticipated and if the polls are anything to go by it will be a much closer result than initially anticipated when Theresa May called the election.

The scenario of JC as Prime Minister almost doesn't bear thinking about but such whacky things have been happening in politics recently that I suppose we should comtemplate that scenario.  I assume he's as half-hearted about Brexit as he is about our nuclear dteerent and that if he did get in with a workable majority he would then revert to type and we'd end up with a lousy deal from the EU, a second referendum about not leaving the EU after all - and of course a defence review which would dump Trident.  The new taxation rates would fail to raise as much as assumed so the Labour Government would renague on some promises and borrow even more than planned.

Bulletguy - 2017-06-01 4:55 PM

A left wing audience it would have raised the housing crisis as a priority. Wheras a right wing audience wouldn't as they tend to profit from it.

But she always said she was never going to do it so why would she make an excuse up ???

As others noted, had Corbyn refused to debate with May, that would have been jumped on immediately. I was surprised by her response and even had i been a May supporter i would not be content with her attitude. It's since been mentioned about making it compulsory for all political leaders to take part in future 'live' debates and personally i don't think that's a bad idea.

Corbyn should still have entered the debate though with one proviso......a podium with TM's name on. Viewers could draw their own conclusions from that.

But Corbyn did refuse to debate only to go back on what he said ... She however stuck to her guns ... Your clutching at straws , if Corbyn won last night because she didn't show then thats good for you and if they had a head to head which John believes Corbyn would win then thats also good for you so I don't get what the problem is ... If the electorate are so disgusted at her no show then they'll give her a kicking next week ... Lets see.

As far as i was aware May said from the outset she would not take part in any 'live' tv debate where Corbyn had initially agreed, only to withdraw when May refused to debate. I don't know about any debate "last night" as i'm not at home but as i said previously, by far the best approach would be for Corbyn to debate (with others) leaving an empty podium and mic clearly marked "Theresa May MP".

I doubt it would have worked too well if Clinton or Trump had refused to take part in a 'live' tv debate on the run up to Presidency.

The live debates in the States all had Billary as a winner after them ... Didn't do her much good on election night though did it ... Maybe it was those pesky Russians

Maybe Jeremy Corbyn settled for Amber Rudd as second choice when Theresa May chickened out.

I don't think he should be faulted for that. We are certainly going to need someone who will negotiate and accept second choice.in the Brexit negotiations.

Trying to blame Jeremy Corbyn's late decision for Theresa May not turning up is clutching at straws.

StuartO - 2017-06-01 4:56 PM

we'd end up with a lousy deal from the EU,

Sooner or later the public are going to have to realise we are not going to get the deal promised by Farage - thats why he has scarpered But in the meantime I suppose they will continue to vote for whoever promises the most *-)

antony1969 - 2017-06-01 4:55 PM

Remember Im not a Nuttall fan but regarding what he said , he put forward an Australian points style system for immigration that Ive not heard from anyone why that could not work here regardless of what the Tories say ... Time will tell if the divorce bill will be paid and if it gets nasty as many in the EU want then it may well become reality we don't pay it ... As for Muslims he mentioned Islamic terrorism which unless i'm mistaken is exactly what these fellas are Islamic terrorists , he'd did go on to say the vast majority of Muslims here are decent folk only to be met with the usual disgust from the wets ... We all vote for who we feel comfortable with and if your comfortable with what an IRA , Hamas , Hezbollah sympathiser and his anti-Semitic white British hating colleagues say then your entitled to vote for them but given the factual description of him and his colleagues maybe cut someone like Mr Nuttall a little slack who doesn't support terrorism , isn't anti-Semitic and only wants fair immigration as well as tackling home grown Islamic terrorists ... I think the Standard have the lead down to 3 points but on 5live this morning a pollster who I can't remember his name said its more like 12% and on the night is likely to be more with a Tory majority of 90 ... Time will tell , lets hope we don't have someone who rejoices in British forces deaths in charge

I Think thats a bit unfair. Im not sure I buy the terrorist sympathiser thing either. There are plenty of cases of pollys from all party's rubbing shoulders with the wrong sorts. Thatcher and Mugabe for example and the Tories also talked to the IRA apparently around the same time as Corbyn was talking to them. Theresa May doing Arms deals with the Saudis who then go on to decimate places like the Yemen and God knows where else they end up.

I Cant say I am comfortable totally with Jeremy Corbyn but I am less comfortable with the Tory party and the more I see of him the more honest and open he seems to appear. Not the commie idiot that he has been made out to be for sure. Problem is people are so brainwashed by the media him shaking all that off is a big hill to climb but to be fair to the bloke he is doing a good job of it.

Barryd999 - 2017-06-01 5:15 PM

antony1969 - 2017-06-01 4:55 PM

I Think thats a bit unfair. Im not sure I buy the terrorist sympathiser thing either. There are plenty of cases of pollys from all party's rubbing shoulders with the wrong sorts. Thatcher and Mugabe for example and the Tories also talked to the IRA apparently around the same time as Corbyn was talking to them. Theresa May doing Arms deals with the Saudis who then go on to decimate places like the Yemen and God knows where else they end up.

I Cant say I am comfortable totally with Jeremy Corbyn but I am less comfortable with the Tory party and the more I see of him the more honest and open he seems to appear. Not the commie idiot that he has been made out to be for sure. Problem is people are so brainwashed by the media him shaking all that off is a big hill to climb but to be fair to the bloke he is doing a good job of it.

Why is that unfair ... He attended events supporting those who murdered the British ... He wasn't part of the peace process , he was according to one IRA member along with McDonnell more extreme with his views than the top men in the IRA and Sinn Fein ... How do you defend a man like McDonnell who calls for IRA soldiers to receive medals ... Corbyns position regarding the IRA , Hamas , Hezbollah is something that can't be defended unless you've now become something that is now so anti-Tory that you can ignore it ... Corbyn shouldn't be allowed in British politics never mind the opposition or even considered as PM material , he is an utter disgrace

John52 - 2017-06-01 5:10 PM

Maybe Jeremy Corbyn settled for Amber Rudd as second choice when Theresa May chickened out.

I don't think he should be faulted for that. We are certainly going to need someone who will negotiate and accept second choice.in the Brexit negotiations.

Trying to blame Jeremy Corbyn's late decision for Theresa May not turning up is clutching at straws.

Eh ?

antony1969 - 2017-06-01 5:34 PM.............................. He attended events supporting those who murdered the British ... He wasn't part of the peace process , he was according to one IRA member along with McDonnell more extreme with his views than the top men in the IRA and Sinn Fein ... How do you defend a man like McDonnell who calls for IRA soldiers to receive medals ... Corbyns position regarding the IRA , Hamas , Hezbollah is something that can't be defended unless you've now become something that is now so anti-Tory that you can ignore it ... Corbyn shouldn't be allowed in British politics never mind the opposition or even considered as PM material , he is an utter disgrace

The prospect of Corbyn becoming PM presently appears remote, so not IMO worth getting worried about. Back in the real world, that leaves Teresa May with the prospect of becoming PM with an overall majority. That worries me, mainly because of the farce of the manifesto and her intemperate comments on Brexit, but also because of some very "below the belt" comments about other candidates, and her refusal to debate in public while a) sending deputies to take the flack and b) slinging mud from behind a wall. My impression is that she is not safe hands, is somewhat flaky, and should not be trusted to act wisely in the national interest. So, I'm relatively happy for her to head the largest party, but would much prefer that she is left with no overall majority by about 12 seats. Then she and the Tories can be disciplined by parliament, which seems to me both democratic and desirable, especially in respect of Brexit. Now, how do we arrange that outcome? :-D

Brian Kirby - 2017-06-01 6:11 PM

antony1969 - 2017-06-01 5:34 PM.............................. He attended events supporting those who murdered the British ... He wasn't part of the peace process , he was according to one IRA member along with McDonnell more extreme with his views than the top men in the IRA and Sinn Fein ... How do you defend a man like McDonnell who calls for IRA soldiers to receive medals ... Corbyns position regarding the IRA , Hamas , Hezbollah is something that can't be defended unless you've now become something that is now so anti-Tory that you can ignore it ... Corbyn shouldn't be allowed in British politics never mind the opposition or even considered as PM material , he is an utter disgrace

The prospect of Corbyn becoming PM presently appears remote, so not IMO worth getting worried about. Back in the real world, that leaves Teresa May with the prospect of becoming PM with an overall majority. That worries me, mainly because of the farce of the manifesto and her intemperate comments on Brexit, but also because of some very "below the belt" comments about other candidates, and her refusal to debate in public while a) sending deputies to take the flack and b) slinging mud from behind a wall. My impression is that she is not safe hands, is somewhat flaky, and should not be trusted to act wisely in the national interest. So, I'm relatively happy for her to head the largest party, but would much prefer that she is left with no overall majority by about 12 seats. Then she and the Tories can be disciplined by parliament, which seems to me both democratic and desirable, especially in respect of Brexit. Now, how do we arrange that outcome? :-D

You don't pay interest to American politics but the chances of POTUS Donald Trump taking office were remote as was Brexit and the last Tory election victory ... Remote and reality don't seem too far away from each other these days ... I believe the Tories have had a terrible campaign and Labour a good one , I hope that doesn't reflect in the final outcome ... The thought of a terrorist sympathiser in number 10 is worse than than the image of Tony entering the door

Guest pelmetman
John52 - 2017-06-01 5:14 PM

Sooner or later the public are going to have to realise we are not going to get the deal promised by Farage - thats why he has scarpered But in the meantime I suppose they will continue to vote for whoever promises the most *-)

No..... we'll vote for who has the best chance of getting a good deal ;-) .........Which is why I'm lending my UKIP vote to the Sainted Theresa B-) .......

Brian Kirby - 2017-06-01 6:11 PM

Quite a simple solution in principle.....make voting a legal requirement which would stop the whining and claims like such a group stole my future etc etc and that willgive us a government that is in totality the will of the people.

pelmetman - 2017-06-01 6:33 PM

No..... we'll vote for who has the best chance of getting a good deal ;-) .........Which is why I'm lending my UKIP vote to the Sainted Theresa B-) .......

What chance has she negotiating against 27 other countries when she daren't even turn up to face Jeremy Corbyn?

antony1969 - 2017-06-01 4:57 PM

The live debates in the States all had Billary as a winner after them ... Didn't do her much good on election night though did it ... Maybe it was those pesky Russians.

And Clinton won the popular vote gaining almost three million more votes than Trump. However that was not the point i was making. Had either refused to turn up in the debates it's safe to say whoever bottled out would not have been running for President.

May's over indulging self confidence may prove her eventual downfall.........not unlike that of Cameron.

Guest pelmetman
John52 - 2017-06-01 7:23 PM

pelmetman - 2017-06-01 6:33 PM

What chance has she negotiating against 27 other countries when she daren't even turn up to face Jeremy Corbyn?

Daren't?......Would a tv bun fight change your mind on who you're going to vote for? ;-) ........

Bulletguy - 2017-06-01 7:39 PM

antony1969 - 2017-06-01 4:57 PM

The live debates in the States all had Billary as a winner after them ... Didn't do her much good on election night though did it ... Maybe it was those pesky Russians.

And Clinton won the popular vote gaining almost three million more votes than Trump. However that was not the point i was making. Had either refused to turn up in the debates it's safe to say whoever bottled out would not have been running for President.

May's over indulging self confidence may prove her eventual downfall.........not unlike that of Cameron.

The popular vote didn't win her the election under US election rules though did it ... TV head to heads in the States have been a part of elections for ever , here its a new thing and Cameron didn't do a head to head but still won an election he shouldn't have won ... Get over her no show its a win win for you lovers of a terrorist sympathiser ... Move on

I question the motive behind Mr. Corbyn’s late decision to appear on the programme last night. The leaders of the two main parties in the UK should have come to some agreement as to whether they were to appear on the programme and stand by it. To do otherwise is to show contempt for the voting public. I wish somebody in the audience had asked him why he made the decision to appear so late. Absent of any explanation I smell a bit of a rat, probably not Mr Corbyn himself but some devious Spad.

I felt a bit sorry for Amber Rudd. Strikes me that she was very brave to face the obvious verbal beatings that would come her way resulting from the absence of Mrs May. The short answer is Mrs May shouldn’t have put her in that position. What does that tell us about our Prime Minister? That she is prepared to sacrifice a loyal supporter if she perceives that by doing so she will gain some political advantage?

We need a competent and honorable PM and so far I'm not convinced we are going to get one from this election.

Veronica

Archived