Press Bias

John52

RogerC - 2017-06-01 6:49 PM
Brian Kirby - 2017-06-01 6:11 PM
antony1969 - 2017-06-01 5:34 PM.............................. He attended events supporting those who murdered the British ... He wasn't part of the peace process , he was according to one IRA member along with McDonnell more extreme with his views than the top men in the IRA and Sinn Fein ... How do you defend a man like McDonnell who calls for IRA soldiers to receive medals ... Corbyns position regarding the IRA , Hamas , Hezbollah is something that can't be defended unless you've now become something that is now so anti-Tory that you can ignore it ... Corbyn shouldn't be allowed in British politics never mind the opposition or even considered as PM material , he is an utter disgrace
The prospect of Corbyn becoming PM presently appears remote, so not IMO worth getting worried about. Back in the real world, that leaves Teresa May with the prospect of becoming PM with an overall majority. That worries me, mainly because of the farce of the manifesto and her intemperate comments on Brexit, but also because of some very "below the belt" comments about other candidates, and her refusal to debate in public while a) sending deputies to take the flack and b) slinging mud from behind a wall. My impression is that she is not safe hands, is somewhat flaky, and should not be trusted to act wisely in the national interest. So, I'm relatively happy for her to head the largest party, but would much prefer that she is left with no overall majority by about 12 seats. Then she and the Tories can be disciplined by parliament, which seems to me both democratic and desirable, especially in respect of Brexit. Now, how do we arrange that outcome? :-D

Quite a simple solution in principle.....make voting a legal requirement which would stop the whining and claims like such a group stole my future etc etc and that willgive us a government that is in totality the will of the people.
Ja! Und if you fail to exercise your right to vote, you vill be shot! :-)

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Violet1956 - 2017-06-01 8:12 PM

I question the motive behind Mr. Corbyn’s late decision to appear on the programme last night. The leaders of the two main parties in the UK should have come to some agreement as to whether they were to appear on the programme and stand by it. To do otherwise is to show contempt for the voting public. I wish somebody in the audience had asked him why he made the decision to appear so late. Absent of any explanation I smell a bit of a rat, probably not Mr Corbyn himself but some devious Spad.

Veronica

Was it because Amber Rudd decided to appear?

In those circumstances he couldn't have no-one from his own party there

If the programme was biased it was because one party leader didn't get her say.

But whose faults that?

Maybe she thought she would get away with not appearing as easily as Cameron did?

Guest pelmetman
John52 - 2017-06-01 9:43 PM

pelmetman - 2017-06-01 7:46 PM

..Would a tv bun fight change your mind on who you're going to vote for? ;-) ........

How do you know without seeing it?

I decided when Mrs May called the election she would get my vote ;-) ........

The issue for me is about BREXIT nothing else >:-) ......

John52 - 2017-06-01 9:40 PM

Violet1956 - 2017-06-01 8:12 PM

I question the motive behind Mr. Corbyn’s late decision to appear on the programme last night. The leaders of the two main parties in the UK should have come to some agreement as to whether they were to appear on the programme and stand by it. To do otherwise is to show contempt for the voting public. I wish somebody in the audience had asked him why he made the decision to appear so late. Absent of any explanation I smell a bit of a rat, probably not Mr Corbyn himself but some devious Spad.

Veronica

Was it because Amber Rudd decided to appear?

In those circumstances he couldn't have no-one from his own party there

If the programme was biased it was because one party leader didn't get her say.

But whose faults that?

Maybe she thought she would get away with not appearing as easily as Cameron did?

I thought she should have gone on the programme John. I don't think there are any grounds for believing it was set up with any intended bias and yes Theresa May bears the responsibility for any reduction in the Conservative's popularity stemming from her refusal to participate. It seems so wrong to me that she was prepared to let one of her colleagues bear the brunt of the obvious criticisms and occasional ridicule that was bound to result from her absence. Not a nice boss in my view. What that says about her suitability for the top job in British politics I have yet to contemplate.

Veronica

If we woke to a Corbyn nightmare the day after voting and given that Corbyns manifesto policy costings are in the eyes of many misleading and untruthful would the Remain wets be screaming for demonstrations , courts to overturn the result and an immediate 2nd election as voters were mislead and didn't know what they were doing and the majority fell for it or was it just the supposed Brexit lies that deserved those responses ?

antony1969 - 2017-06-02 10:26 AM

If we woke to a Corbyn nightmare the day after voting and given that Corbyns manifesto policy costings are in the eyes of many misleading and untruthful would the Remain wets be screaming for demonstrations , courts to overturn the result and an immediate 2nd election as voters were mislead and didn't know what they were doing and the majority fell for it or was it just the supposed Brexit lies that deserved those responses ?

No, As far as I am aware he hasn't started using the side of a bus to write blatant lies on or waving Pasties about which as everyone now knows is an easy way of conning the British public. I think he put everything in a book called a Manifesto instead.

Barryd999 - 2017-06-02 11:53 AM

No, As far as I am aware he hasn't started using the side of a bus to write blatant lies on or waving Pasties about which as everyone now knows is an easy way of conning the British public. I think he put everything in a book called a Manifesto instead.

Bus or manifesto ... A lie or deceiving folk is just that regardless what its wrote on ... I presume by your reckoning then if the Leave campaign had put that bus quote in a glossy book then that would have been OK

He's now promising a million "good quality new jobs" is that in his manifesto or sumat he's just plucked from thin air

antony1969 - 2017-06-01 7:47 PM

The popular vote didn't win her the election under US election rules though did it ... TV head to heads in the States have been a part of elections for ever , here its a new thing and Cameron didn't do a head to head but still won an election he shouldn't have won ... Get over her no show its a win win for you lovers of a terrorist sympathiser ... Move on.

No of course not. The US has a similar strange voting system to UK.......the UKIP/SNP saga being a good example. Fwiw the general broader opinion i was picking up on other forums from US posters was that they were stuck with two unpopular candidates.

Re Cameron i was referring to his decision to roll the dice and gamble his political career over Brexit.

Tbh i'm not that bothered if May gets elected, which she probably will. UK is in a big enough mess already so let's see if she's up to the job of sorting it out. Any failings and all the vocal Brexiters will have nobody else to blame though i'm sure they will try.

As for 'terrorist sympathiser' perhaps you forgot or chose to overlook Thatcher giving a warm welcome and safe haven to the brutal dictator Pinochet responsible for murdering thousands of his own people. Many also 'disappeared' and never accounted for. Even Mandela was considered a terrorist by some people and he certainly had a lot of help from Cuba.....possibly why the US branded him such. I remember watching a documentary about him during which he said, "if you aren't prepared to fight for what you believe, then you don't deserve to achieve your goal...".

Bulletguy - 2017-06-02 1:08 PM

The popular vote didn't win her the election under US election rules though did it ... TV head to heads in the States have been a part of elections for ever , here its a new thing and Cameron didn't do a head to head but still won an election he shouldn't have won ... Get over her no show its a win win for you lovers of a terrorist sympathiser ... Move on.

No of course not. The US has a similar strange voting system to UK.......the UKIP/SNP saga being a good example. Fwiw the general broader opinion i was picking up on other forums from US posters was that they were stuck with two unpopular candidates.

Re Cameron i was referring to his decision to roll the dice and gamble his political career over Brexit.

Tbh i'm not that bothered if May gets elected, which she probably will. UK is in a big enough mess already so let's see if she's up to the job of sorting it out. Any failings and all the vocal Brexiters will have nobody else to blame though i'm sure they will try.

As for 'terrorist sympathiser' perhaps you forgot or chose to overlook Thatcher giving a warm welcome and safe haven to the brutal dictator Pinochet responsible for murdering thousands of his own people. Many also 'disappeared' and never accounted for. Even Mandela was considered a terrorist by some people and he certainly had a lot of help from Cuba.....possibly why the US branded him such. I remember watching a documentary about him during which he said, "if you aren't prepared to fight for what you believe, then you don't deserve to achieve your goal...".

The difference between HM Mrs Thatcher and Corbyn and his crew is she didn't celebrate the deaths of British soldiers in Northern Ireland or call for those who murdered them to receive medals ... Nice people

antony1969 - 2017-06-02 1:26 PM

Bulletguy - 2017-06-02 1:08 PM

The difference between HM Mrs Thatcher and Corbyn and his crew is she didn't celebrate the deaths of British soldiers in Northern Ireland or call for those who murdered them to receive medals ... Nice people.

Perhaps you missed (or wouldn't watch?) the recent programme about Freddie Scappaticci who worked as a double agent in the IRA for British intelligence under the code name "Stakeknife". In brief, a vicious thug who enjoyed torturing and killing, many of which MI5 and UK Gov turned a blind eye to in protecting his identity.

Watch the documentary if you can stomach it, it's pretty chilling. As you say, "nice people".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freddie_Scappaticci

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stakeknife

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fi0H3mNi17I

antony1969 - 2017-06-02 12:11 PM

Barryd999 - 2017-06-02 11:53 AM

Bus or manifesto ... A lie or deceiving folk is just that regardless what its wrote on ... I presume by your reckoning then if the Leave campaign had put that bus quote in a glossy book then that would have been OK

He's now promising a million "good quality new jobs" is that in his manifesto or sumat he's just plucked from thin air

Remember the jury is still out for me on Corbyn, I would prefer Tim nice but Dim to get in to be honest or those nice Green people where we could get rid of all our weapons of mass destruction and death and build Wigwams instead and sit around playing blowin in the Wind on guitars but thats never going to happen. :D

Whether the stuff you say about Corbyn is true or not or just right wing media propaganda I dont know either but what is refreshing about him is he does appear honest and is not interested in the Boris and TM Sound bite bollox and Churchillesque rabble rousing speeches.

There is only one direction the Tory party is heading and its further right and they have had the arrogance to think they can drag the public along with them with very little effort. I think they reckon because it worked with Brexit it will work again. Im an ex Tory voter remember but its obvious to me that just about everyone is going to be worse off with the Tories now.

Maybe people will vote for them because they are desperate for a Hard Brexit at any cost. There are clearly some that if they were told they had to give up their house, car, job, wife for Brexit they would do it. Personally I want in five or ten years time for there still to be an NHS and for the less fortunate in this country and the elderly to be looked after. That is not going to happen under the Tories for sure.

Barryd999 - 2017-06-02 6:20 PM

Maybe people will vote for them because they are desperate for a Hard Brexit at any cost. There are clearly some that if they were told they had to give up their house, car, job, wife for Brexit they would do it. Personally I want in five or ten years time for there still to be an NHS and for the less fortunate in this country and the elderly to be looked after. That is not going to happen under the Tories for sure.

I'm all for that Barry (bib)..........as long as it's strictly applied and enforced only to those who wished for it. I want to see them squirm and squeal as they suffer what they have wanted to bring on the rest of the country.

Nothing would delight me more.

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2017-06-02 6:36 PM

I'm all for that Barry (bib)..........as long as it's strictly applied and enforced only to those who wished for it. I want to see them squirm and squeal as they suffer what they have wanted to bring on the rest of the country.

Nothing would delight me more.

(lol) (lol) (lol) .......

pelmetman - 2017-06-02 7:27 PM

Remember the jury is still out for me on Corbyn,

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4565838/Corbyn-claimed-cyber-jihadis-not-wrong.html

Not for me :-| ......He has a long history as an apologist for murderers *-) .......

Daily Fail Dave? 8-)

How come they say they have footage of him stating what they claim but dont show it?

As I said Jury is still out but the only arguments against him I have seen seem to be historical accusations of him being a terrorist sympathiser from decades ago mainly. Most of which if you delve a bit deeper are not as clear cut as the tabloids want you to believe.

Guest pelmetman
Barryd999 - 2017-06-02 8:07 PM

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4565838/Corbyn-claimed-cyber-jihadis-not-wrong.html

Not for me :-| ......He has a long history as an apologist for murderers *-) .......

Daily Fail Dave? 8-)

How come they say they have footage of him stating what they claim but dont show it?

As I said Jury is still out but the only arguments against him I have seen seem to be historical accusations of him being a terrorist sympathiser from decades ago mainly. Most of which if you delve a bit deeper are not as clear cut as the tabloids want you to believe.

There's nothing historical about Corbyn *-) ........

One things for sure if the nukes ever start heading our way with him in charge.....he would rather we all die than retaliate 8-) .........

Typical suffragette/loony lefty mentality >:-) .......

pelmetman - 2017-06-02 10:08 PM

Daily Fail Dave? 8-)

One things for sure if the nukes ever start heading our way with him in charge.....he would rather we all die than retaliate 8-) .........

Face it Dave we live on a tiny little island. Looking at the latest 100ton Nukes Russia "claims" it has which apparently can destroy a country the size of France its going to make very little difference if we press the button or not but I am sure Donald will get a few in for good measure to ensure the total destruction of the planet so I wouldnt worry if I were you.

Its totally pointless us having them IMO. Do you want to see my Wigwam? :D

Any damn fool can press the nuke button or send the troops in.

Its the ones who can avoid it get my vote.

Like Wilson who told the Americans not one British soldier would set foot in Vietnam.

and Corbyn who would have told them the same over iraq and Afghanistan had he been in power. :-(

derek pringle - 2017-06-03 8:39 AM

hi,

I believe the politicians to worry about are those who would press the button.

I don't understand why anyone from any party should be castigated cos they don't want to kill endless numbers of people.

cheers

derek

It would be a very difficult decision to make.

If our population was about to be annihilated by a foreign power should we retaliate, with the same results for them ?

It seems that many people don't think we should .

Maybe our best weapon, if the missiles come from the east, is our prevailing westerly winds, which will carry all the contamination eastwards.

;-)

I believe that the only way to win a nuclear stand off is to keep every potential aggressor in ignorance of any strategy we might adopt. I think Mr Corbyn has come to realise that it is one thing to be bellowing from the sidelines about the futility of nuclear weapons but quite another to be given the responsibility for the security of the nation. Whether he has realised that too late to enjoy the confidence of the electorate remains to be seen.

As for abandoning our nuclear deterrent and relying on our current allies, including the US, well I think we know how far down we would be in their list of priorities. Not that I blame them - would we not also put ourselves first?

I am therefore persuaded that keeping Trident is the least worst option at present given the number of rogue states in the world. As long as our defence experts advise the PM that any first or second strike is likely to minimise the loss of human life then I believe it has to be done. Anyone who is not prepared to take that advice and act on it should not stand for that office.

Veronica

Guest pelmetman
Barryd999 - 2017-06-02 11:09 PM

pelmetman - 2017-06-02 10:08 PM

Daily Fail Dave? 8-)

Face it Dave we live on a tiny little island. Looking at the latest 100ton Nukes Russia "claims" it has which apparently can destroy a country the size of France its going to make very little difference if we press the button or not but I am sure Donald will get a few in for good measure to ensure the total destruction of the planet so I wouldnt worry if I were you.

Its totally pointless us having them IMO. Do you want to see my Wigwam? :D

I would like to think that when I assume the position to kiss my ar*e goodbye :-| .......That we have pushed the button and know that we're not heading to Armageddon on our own >:-) .......

One things for sure pacifist Corbyn lacks the balls to push the button *-) .........

It's one heck of a leap from Press bias to nuclear Armageddon! Talk about "pressing the button" is bravado boys comic annual stuff. It's the aftermath which nobody seems to have thought through. A cursory glance at the history of the Chernobyl disaster 31 years ago should be a stark enough warning. Even today there is a 20sq mile exclusion zone and Ukrainian officials claim the area would not be safe for human habitation for 20,000 years.

It's all well and good political leaders from around the world rattling their sabres and saying "i would press the button".........they will be safely hunkered down in nuclear shelters deep beneath the earth watching everyone else fry. You are expendable, they consider themselves important enough not to be. Quite what sort of "world" they imagine they'd eventually surface to i've no idea.

Meanwhile the 'prollies' can take some crumb of comfort by laughing at one of the many Protect & Survive Public information films from the 70's. If you live in a block of flats, get friendly with your neighbours on the bottom two floors otherwise you are stuffed. It even tells you how to build your own Nuclear "shelter" from some old bits of wood, doors and a few chairs.

All very typically British!! *-)

Enjoy......... (lol)

pelmetman - 2017-06-03 6:28 PM

I would like to think that when I assume the position to kiss my ar*e goodbye :-| .......That we have pushed the button and know that we're not heading to Armageddon on our own >:-) .......

One things for sure pacifist Corbyn lacks the balls to push the button *-) .........

Seriously? Knowing that you were facing death, it would cheer you up to know that we had managed to kill and maim hundreds of thousands of innocent children?

Archived