Is Brexit stuffed?

Barryd999

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Barryd999 - 2017-12-08 5:36 PM

It was always going to be so. When you think about it if we were to leave properly and somehow still have no border between Ireland and NI what would there be to stop people importing stuff into Ireland tariff and customs free then just importing it into the UK that way? The only way to prevent a border and not have NI as the worlds biggest free port is to stay in the single market and customs union. However they dress it up that looks like what they are going to have to do......................

One little fly in that pot of ointment is that it works equally well the other way. We import from outside the EU, ship to NI, truck it across the border to the Republic, and it then gets shipped out again via Cork to France or wherever in the EU. Of course, the EU won't have spotted that possibility either, 'cos they're too stupid, aren't they? So, this open border between NI and the Republic is what, exactly? Tricky, eh? :-D

Bulletguy - 2017-12-08 4:06 PM

In other words....free movement of people and the ability to agree trade deals with other countries only with the EU's consent. Oh and it's going to cost £50 billion to get errrrm.......what we had before.

In the report issued today it has been agreed that free movement ends on 29th March 2019.

And yes it appears the default position on trade is we follow the EU.

Should be interesting to see how that pans out.

colin - 2017-12-08 7:11 PM

Bulletguy - 2017-12-08 4:06 PM

In other words....free movement of people and the ability to agree trade deals with other countries only with the EU's consent. Oh and it's going to cost £50 billion to get errrrm.......what we had before.

In the report issued today it has been agreed that free movement ends on 29th March 2019.

And yes it appears the default position on trade is we follow the EU.

Should be interesting to see how that pans out.

This gives a good break down Colin, much of which was never explained to the electorate let alone Brexit voters! EU families will have full reunification rights for spouses, children etc free to move even after the transitional period. UK residents in Spain for example will not have that right and now have to remain there. As Jon Worth, a UK citizen living in Germany, said: "I can still go and take a day trip to Poland, or go on holiday to Italy unrestricted, after Brexit day."But I could not move to live in Italy or Poland without restriction."

The ECJ which Brexiters also thought they were getting rid of....not so. That's in place for another eight years which UK must abide by it's laws and rulings. The UK must establish a mechanism enabling courts and tribunals to ask the ECJ for "interpretation of those rights where they consider that a (ECJ) ruling on the question is necessary for the UK court or tribunal to be able to give judgment in a case before it".

The Irish "border" is also an interesting one which once again, was conveniently ignored pre-referendum blustering. Without an agreed solution the UK will maintain "full alignment" with EU internal market and Customs Union provisions which underpin North-South co-operation, the all-island economy and the protection of the 1998 Good Friday Peace Agreement which largely ended decades of Northern Ireland violence, the text disclosed.

The UK said it "remains committed" to protecting North-South co-operation and its guarantee of avoiding a hard border.

http://www.itv.com/news/2017-12-08/brexit-deal-key-points-in-the-agreement/

That magical money tree figure of the £350m a week to the NHS will also never go away.....despite that fact it was based on a lie and totally undeliverable (we are still coming for it though).....just the same as even the most rabid Brexiters are now beginning to see they thought they were being taken to Nirvana and the land of milk and honey, fell for a pack of lies they believed, but landed in a pile of poo instead.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/brexit-latest-nhs-england-350-million-per-week-pledge-eu-simon-stevens-brussels-a8043191.html

antony1969 - 2017-12-08 6:09 PM

You guys make me laugh ... Still holding on aren't ya

If you remember Antony I've maintained all along that we wouldn't leave or if we did in name only. I would say that todays news pretty much looks like that might be the case or do you interpret it differently?

Bulletguy - 2017-12-08 5:35 PM
John52 - 2017-12-08 4:46 PM
Bulletguy - 2017-12-08 4:06 PMOh and it's going to cost £50 billion to get errrrm.......what we had before.Good eh? (lol)
Not even that - we will be losing the EU agencies and all their jobs and spending that used to be here.So we will be paying E50bn for less than we had before. And still have to continue Ransom payments to the DUP.But at least its better than walking away with no deal.
Brexit was doomed from the outset and now the harsh realities are beginning to dawn they still cannot comprehend the foolish path they've taken the country down. They were sold a bunch of lies and fell for it. It's still worth bearing in mind what this man said about Article 50 though which is reversible. He know's what he's talking about as he helped draft out the legality of it. http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-theresa-may-article-50-reversal-misleading-public-author-lord-kerr-claims-a8046676.html

Oh please.....try playing another tune that old chestnut is really quite past it's best.

The downright arrogance of the 'Remoan' set is astounding.  Just because the negotiating team isn't letting you know the in's and out's of the negotiations or what goes on behind the scenes you all pile on the 'We're doomed.....doomed I tell you' bandwagon. 

Do you honestly think you know better than those directly involved? According to an answer on QT last night there are 150 staff working on the task.  I suspect most, if not all, are better qualified than you doom merchants so I have more faith in their abilities than I do in your (factually speaking) baseless prophesies of Armageddon.

RogerC - 2017-12-08 9:21 PMThe downright arrogance of the 'Remoan' set is astounding.  Just because the negotiating team isn't letting you know the in's and out's of the negotiations or what goes on behind the scenes you all pile on the 'We're doomed.....doomed I tell you' bandwagon. 

Do you honestly think you know better than those directly involved? According to an answer on QT last night there are 150 staff working on the task.  I suspect most, if not all, are better qualified than you doom merchants so I have more faith in their abilities than I do in your (factually speaking) baseless prophesies of Armageddon.

Yes. :D

RogerC - 2017-12-08 9:21 PM

The downright arrogance of the 'Remoan' set is astounding.

As the elite we have a justifiable right to be......even your "leader" calls us the elite.

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/theresa-may-brexit-voters-brexiteers-liberal-elite-sneer-reserve-the-right-a7354561.html

Do you honestly think you know better than those directly involved? According to an answer on QT last night there are 150 staff working on the task. I suspect most, if not all, are better qualified than you doom merchants so I have more faith in their abilities than I do in your (factually speaking) baseless prophesies of Armageddon.

It was said as those left behind as the Titanic faced plunging to it's ice cold watery depths and the last of the lifeboats had all gone, the ships musicians began to play "Nearer My God to Thee". Like the Titanic buskers it seems you also are no longer singing from the same hymn sheet.

Even this guy has picked up another hymn sheet; “We have wasted months and months and in the end we’ve agreed to all the things the European Commission insisted upon in the first place."

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/889906/Brexit-news-Nigel-Farage-Theresa-May-Brexit-accord

I thought you intended to "take back control" where the reality is you've just handed the EU more control than they ever had before!! (lol)

Ex-pat Brits are far from happy too as it seems you've also trampled on them like a piece of dog poo.

Campaigners for British citizens living in Europe have reacted with fury over claims from both sides that their rights have been guaranteed by the deal, claiming they have been “sold down a grubby river”.

They are concerned that while EU citizens living in the UK will continue to have the freedom to move and work around Europe, they will not, leaving them “landlocked” in the country they have settled in.

“This deal is even worse than we expected. After 18 months of wrangling the UK and EU have sold 4.5 mn people down the river in a grubby bargain that will have a severe impact on ordinary people’s ability to live their lives as we do now,” said Jane Golding, a British lawyer living in German and chair of the British in Europe campaign group.

They say the European Commission has reneged on a promise that UK citizens, who had moved to Europe in good faith, would continue to have freedom of movement rights

Barryd999 - 2017-12-08 8:42 PM

If you remember Antony I've maintained all along that we wouldn't leave or if we did in name only. I would say that todays news pretty much looks like that might be the case or do you interpret it differently?

Yes ... You seem to be forgetting a couple of words used in the deal 'transition period' ... The full deal and this was just the first step is a long , long way off ... If the winners of the referendum don't get near to what they wanted when they voted in a democratic process to leave then I believe Mrs May and her party will be very sorry and that I fear will lead to an unthinkable Corbyn government and then I fear we would all be very deep in it up to our ears ... Anyway I don't have a crystal ball like others on here so its all guess work by me and not fact based knowledge and insider information that others seem to be able to access

Guest pelmetman

We're leaving Barry.... get used to it B-) .........

We'll just be saying our goodbyes for a few years, so the EU can slowly let go of their comfort blanket and find the money from some other mug/country to finance the United States of Europe >:-) .......

antony1969 - 2017-12-09 6:27 AM

Yes ... You seem to be forgetting a couple of words used in the deal 'transition period' ... The full deal and this was just the first step is a long , long way off ... If the winners of the referendum don't get near to what they wanted when they voted in a democratic process to leave then I believe Mrs May and her party will be very sorry and that I fear will lead to an unthinkable Corbyn government and then I fear we would all be very deep in it up to our ears ... Anyway I don't have a crystal ball like others on here so its all guess work by me and not fact based knowledge and insider information that others seem to be able to access

A "transition period" long enough for it to become apparent that leaving was never a good idea. Mrs May is perhaps determined to get what is best for Britain after all. She just needs to take us all to the edge of some filthy water so that enough people refuse to drink from it.

Violet1956 - 2017-12-09 8:42 AM

antony1969 - 2017-12-09 6:27 AM

A "transition period" long enough for it to become apparent that leaving was never a good idea. Mrs May is perhaps determined to get what is best for Britain after all. She just needs to take us all to the edge of some filthy water so that enough people refuse to drink from it.

I am starting to think you might be right about May. Antony. I am sorry but I dont think you and the advocates of a hard brexit are going to get what you voted for. You might think I would be gleeful or would gloat about that if it happened but no. Ill probably be as angry as you will be. Angry that we will have caused so much damage and division for what exactly? A luke warm Pseudo Brexit and a damage limitation deal that will never be as good as the deal that we had. Who is going to be happy with that? Ill be happier than if we had crashed out and driven the big red bus over the cliff but what a cost to end up slightly worse off than we were before and how will you feel about being promised all the things that you were told Brexit would deliver only to find its not at all what you were sold?

You are probably right that it will lead to a change of government. Something I imagine you will also not be happy about. The Jury is still out for me on that one but one things for sure Ill never vote Tory again as long as I live for the damage they have now done to this country and the total self serving job protecting selfish toads they have totally exposed themselves as being.

Someone will be along in a minute to tell me we will have to wait and see what happens and they would be correct but I stand by what have always said. Very few people will be happy at the end result of this. Best option right now would be to revoke article 50 (if we can), put our own house in order, create a Brexit plan committee and give them a decade to do a full analysis of leaving the EU and if it ever looks feasible in the future call another referendum.

antony1969 - 2017-12-09 6:27 AM..........................

1 Yes ... You seem to be forgetting a couple of words used in the deal 'transition period' ... The full deal and this was just the first step is a long , long way off ...

2 If the winners of the referendum don't get near to what they wanted when they voted in a democratic process to leave then I believe Mrs May and her party will be very sorry and that I fear will lead to an unthinkable Corbyn government and then I fear we would all be very deep in it up to our ears ...

3 Anyway I don't have a crystal ball like others on here so its all guess work by me and not fact based knowledge and insider information that others seem to be able to access

1 Others have answered this. I've nothing to add.

2 Well yes, the Conservatives may well end up "very sorry". So, I assume, will those who have habitually voted Conservative, as they look in vain for another party to vote for! But, fear not: all is not lost! :-D A government, even a Corbyn government, is only for 5 years. Brexit is forever.

3 So what, if not a crystal ball, were you using for your forecast at 2 above! Not a "doom and gloom" ball, surely? :-D

RogerC - 2017-12-08 9:21 PM

1 The downright arrogance of the 'Remoan' set is astounding.  Just because the negotiating team isn't letting you know the in's and out's of the negotiations or what goes on behind the scenes you all pile on the 'We're doomed.....doomed I tell you' bandwagon.

2 Do you honestly think you know better than those directly involved? According to an answer on QT last night there are 150 staff working on the task.  I suspect most, if not all, are better qualified than you doom merchants so I have more faith in their abilities than I do in your (factually speaking) baseless prophesies of Armageddon.

1 Accusing those who have a different perspective on events of "arrogance" isn't an argument. It merely says, in terms, "how dare you not agree with me?" I'll leave others to define that mindset. :-) We just see things differently.

As to we're doomed, I think you may well be misreading the tea leaves. I think what we're saying is, in effect, put better than I could manage here:

Oh say can you see,

By the dawn's early light,

What so proudly we hailed,

At the twilight's last gleaming?

So, far from "gloom and doom", but a glimpse of salvation!

2 I think all you're seeing is people with lively and enquiring minds taking their few remaining brain cells for an intellectual work out, to test the politically edited information we are being fed. If you choose to pull the duvet over your head, shut your eyes, put your fingers in your ears, and just believe only what you are told by Nanny (AKA HMG), you are perfectly at liberty to do so. Unwise, I think, but, if that's your preference, so be it. It just seems far too meekly accepting, and politically dangerous, to me.

Armageddon is the place of the battle at the end of the world: the final battle between good and evil. I may have missed it in some of the more excited exchanges, but I don't think I have seen anyone claim that Brexit would be quite that apocalyptic, even allowing for "poetic licence". On balance (if I may take the liberty of speaking for others), we see Brexit as an economically inferior option to staying in the EU, and have tried to explain why we hold that view. We are, in fact the optimists, the internationalists, because we see more good than bad in staying in. It is those who attempt to justify their view that we must leave, and leave now, who paint the "we are all doomed" vision of staying in.

Brian Kirby - 2017-12-09 11:41 AM

antony1969 - 2017-12-09 6:27 AM..........................

1 Yes ... You seem to be forgetting a couple of words used in the deal 'transition period' ... The full deal and this was just the first step is a long , long way off ...

2 If the winners of the referendum don't get near to what they wanted when they voted in a democratic process to leave then I believe Mrs May and her party will be very sorry and that I fear will lead to an unthinkable Corbyn government and then I fear we would all be very deep in it up to our ears ...

3 Anyway I don't have a crystal ball like others on here so its all guess work by me and not fact based knowledge and insider information that others seem to be able to access

1 Others have answered this. I've nothing to add.

2 Well yes, the Conservatives may well end up "very sorry". So, I assume, will those who have habitually voted Conservative, as they look in vain for another party to vote for! But, fear not: all is not lost! :-D A government, even a Corbyn government, is only for 5 years. Brexit is forever.

3 So what, if not a crystal ball, were you using for your forecast at 2 above! Not a "doom and gloom" ball, surely? :-D

Answering number 3 ... Might be a total balls up ball B-)

Brian Kirby - 2017-12-09 11:41 AM
antony1969 - 2017-12-09 6:27 AM..........................1 Yes ... You seem to be forgetting a couple of words used in the deal 'transition period' ... The full deal and this was just the first step is a long , long way off ... 2 If the winners of the referendum don't get near to what they wanted when they voted in a democratic process to leave then I believe Mrs May and her party will be very sorry and that I fear will lead to an unthinkable Corbyn government and then I fear we would all be very deep in it up to our ears ... 3 Anyway I don't have a crystal ball like others on here so its all guess work by me and not fact based knowledge and insider information that others seem to be able to access
1 Others have answered this. I've nothing to add.2 Well yes, the Conservatives may well end up "very sorry". So, I assume, will those who have habitually voted Conservative, as they look in vain for another party to vote for! But, fear not: all is not lost! :-D A government, even a Corbyn government, is only for 5 years. Brexit is forever. 3 So what, if not a crystal ball, were you using for your forecast at 2 above! Not a "doom and gloom" ball, surely? :-D

Interesting............I seem to recall a great many 'remoaners' saying despite what happens vis a vis Brexit that in the not too distant future 'your lot' would be taking us back in.

So which is it?

RogerC - 2017-12-09 8:37 PM...........................Interesting............I seem to recall a great many 'remoaners' saying despite what happens vis a vis Brexit that in the not too distant future 'your lot' would be taking us back in. So which is it?

Who knows, the future is a different country! :-) But if we do, collectively, decide to re-join the EU, or whatever its successor may be called, I doubt it will be within my lifetime.

Brian Kirby - 2017-12-10 11:30 AM
RogerC - 2017-12-09 8:37 PM...........................Interesting............I seem to recall a great many 'remoaners' saying despite what happens vis a vis Brexit that in the not too distant future 'your lot' would be taking us back in. So which is it?
Who knows, the future is a different country! :-) But if we do, collectively, decide to re-join the EU, or whatever its successor may be called, I doubt it will be within my lifetime.

Who knows?  So you are admitting your claims are nonsense then.....one minute we will be back in the next Brexit is forever.
It was you and a number of others who claim/claimed that the UK would be taken back into the EU yet it is you who said:
"BREXIT IS FOREVER"

So which is it to be.....back in or out forever?
The phrase arse/elbow comets to mind.

RogerC - 2017-12-10 2:11 PM

Who knows?  So you are admitting your claims are nonsense then.....one minute we will be back in the next Brexit is forever. It was you and a number of others who claim/claimed that the UK would be taken back into the EU yet it is you who said: "BREXIT IS FOREVER" So which is it to be.....back in or out forever? The phrase arse/elbow comets to mind.

It's all about context, Roger. I can't answer for what others have said, no matter how much you'd like that to be the case. :-) Answering for myself, I'm happy with what I have said, which was "A government, even a Corbyn government, is only for 5 years. Brexit is forever."

I also said, in the post you quote above, "the future is a different country": where is the ambiguity in that? Will it matter whether, in December 2017 I said "Brexit is forever", if at some point in the future, probably long after I'm dead, a group of people decide to run a campaign to join whatever the EU may have by then become, and succeed? Who is going, at that point, to rear up and say "you can't do that, some bloke named Kirby said we'd left forever in December 2017"? And if they did, what do you think they'd do?

Do you actually have a point, or are you just picking at a favourite scab - because I strongly suspect the latter? Why? May I remind you of this?

RogerC - 2017-11-03 9:39 PM

Brian Kirby - 2017-11-03 11:38 AM But, there is a very pregnant silence over how long you think a referendum decision should stand

Pot.....Kettle? You have always maintained, from as far back in these debates as I can remember, that you are of the mindset that the UK should remain in the EU and 'wait' and see how the future pans out before calling a referendum. You have always claimed the referendum was called at the 'wrong time'. In either case you have never quantified 'how long' or 'when would be the right time' hence my pot/kettle comment. My answer is when there is deemed to be sufficient public will or desire to consider rejoining. Should it transpire that, at some indeterminate point in the future, it is deemed prudent to enter into rejoining negotiations the difference between then and now will be that the terms of rejoining should/will? be made public meaning a referendum could be held on firmer ground than the one which takes us out. However only those 'in the know' (politicians/businessmen/Joe Public?) will know when they consider the time is right.

(My italics above.) So, where's the beef? We share the same point of view. No-one will be in the slightest influenced that I somewhere chose to describe your "at some indeterminate time in the future" as "forever" by the time we reach that state. "Forever" is colloquially used to describe a very long time: as in "they kept me hanging-on forever". As above, what's your point?

Brian Kirby - 2017-12-10 3:49 PM
Who knows?  So you are admitting your claims are nonsense then.....one minute we will be back in the next Brexit is forever. It was you and a number of others who claim/claimed that the UK would be taken back into the EU yet it is you who said: "BREXIT IS FOREVER" So which is it to be.....back in or out forever? The phrase arse/elbow comets to mind.
It's all about context, Roger. I can't answer for what others have said, no matter how much you'd like that to be the case. :-) Answering for myself, I'm happy with what I have said, which was "A government, even a Corbyn government, is only for 5 years. Brexit is forever." I also said, in the post you quote above, "the future is a different country": where is the ambiguity in that? Will it matter whether, in December 2017 I said "Brexit is forever", if at some point in the future, probably long after I'm dead, a group of people decide to run a campaign to join whatever the EU may have by then become, and succeed? Who is going, at that point, to rear up and say "you can't do that, some bloke named Kirby said we'd left forever in December 2017"? And if they did, what do you think they'd do? Do you actually have a point, or are you just picking at a favourite scab - because I strongly suspect the latter? Why? May I remind you of this?
RogerC - 2017-11-03 9:39 PM
Brian Kirby - 2017-11-03 11:38 AM But, there is a very pregnant silence over how long you think a referendum decision should stand
Pot.....Kettle? You have always maintained, from as far back in these debates as I can remember, that you are of the mindset that the UK should remain in the EU and 'wait' and see how the future pans out before calling a referendum. You have always claimed the referendum was called at the 'wrong time'. In either case you have never quantified 'how long' or 'when would be the right time' hence my pot/kettle comment. My answer is when there is deemed to be sufficient public will or desire to consider rejoining. Should it transpire that, at some indeterminate point in the future, it is deemed prudent to enter into rejoining negotiations the difference between then and now will be that the terms of rejoining should/will? be made public meaning a referendum could be held on firmer ground than the one which takes us out. However only those 'in the know' (politicians/businessmen/Joe Public?) will know when they consider the time is right.
(My italics above.) So, where's the beef? We share the same point of view. No-one will be in the slightest influenced that I somewhere chose to describe your "at some indeterminate time in the future" as "forever" by the time we reach that state. "Forever" is colloquially used to describe a very long time: as in "they kept me hanging-on forever". As above, what's your point?

Precision of language Brian?  or is that another that applies only when it suits you?  You twist and turn like an accomplished graduate of the Alastair Campbell school of 'spin'.  Wait and see, how long do we wait, will be back in, Brexit is forever etc etc......my point is that from your posts it gives one the impression you can't make up your mind what you believe just as long as it is contrary to Brexit. 
As before I've lost the will to even bother when faced with such fudge, smoke and mirrors.

It was you and a number of others who claim/claimed that the UK would be taken back into the EU yet it is you who said:

"BREXIT IS FOREVER"

I saw you'd taken that out of context last night and suspect you knew what Brian meant really, but seized the opportunity to twist it around. I'm used to spotting those tricks a mile off and not only on this forum!

From the preceding words, "a Government (term) is only for 5 years" should surely have indicated what was actually meant re. Brexit!

Still happy with chief strategist and Director of the Brexit campaign admitting how he managed to dupe you into voting Leave then? He was the man behind the snappy slogans "take back control", the £350m/NHS lie along with whipping up anti-immigration. He explains it all here:

https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2017/01/dominic-cummings-brexit-referendum-won/

Bulletguy - 2017-12-10 10:42 PM
It was you and a number of others who claim/claimed that the UK would be taken back into the EU yet it is you who said:"BREXIT IS FOREVER"
I saw you'd taken that out of context last night and suspect you knew what Brian meant really, but seized the opportunity to twist it around. I'm used to spotting those tricks a mile off and not only on this forum!From the preceding words, "a Government (term) is only for 5 years" should surely have indicated what was actually meant re. Brexit!Still happy with chief strategist and Director of the Brexit campaign admitting how he managed to dupe you into voting Leave then? He was the man behind the snappy slogans "take back control", the £350m/NHS lie along with whipping up anti-immigration. He explains it all here:https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2017/01/dominic-cummings-brexit-referendum-won/

Aren't you the clever one then.....not.
I responded to Brian's claim 'Brexit is forever' because, as you are more than likely, well aware of his previous record for precision in the use of the English language.  It was not taken out of context.  
A government, even a Corbyn government, is only for 5 years. Brexit is forever. UNQUOTE

So I am of the opinion that your opinion is totally wrong and you're not so smart as you proclaim yourself to be.

Brian Kirby - 2017-12-11 11:14 AM
RogerC - 2017-12-10 10:12 PM......................As before I've lost the will to even bother when faced with such fudge, smoke and mirrors.
Ho, ho! You just wanted to knock me off my perch, and thought you could see an opportunity to do so! Tweet, tweet! :-D

Not at all Brian.  I merely wanted you, for once, to stop waffling and say what you actually mean.  Clearly that is not going to happen.

Archived