Is Brexit stuffed?

Barryd999

John52 - 2017-12-06 11:22 AM

antony1969 - 2017-12-06 10:54 AM

£50 billion has been officially announced as the sum has it ??? . !

Nope, thats just another of your false claims.

I said E50 billion - its in the quote you posted

What did I claim ... I asked a question and you answered it ... Baffling

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply
antony1969 - 2017-12-06 11:40 AM

You changed my mention of their 50 billion Euro offer to an official announcement of the same figure in pounds.

John52 - 2017-12-06 11:49 AM

You changed my mention of their 50 billion Euro offer to an official announcement of the same figure in pounds.

My mistake ... But a mistake that.means even better value for the British tax payer ... It just keeps on getting better doesn't It

antony1969 - 2017-12-06 1:04 PM

My mistake ... But a mistake that.means even better value for the British tax payer ... It just keeps on getting better doesn't It

Wrong again actually, the value of the pound gets worse as the likelyhood of Brexit increases - which is presumably why they want future payments in hard currency.

Violet1956 - 2017-12-06 10:14 AM

The answer seems to be it's anybody's guess

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-42249854

Well on the one hand the Government have made no assessment of the impact of Brexit.

But previous Governments assessments have been so wildly inaccurate whats the point?

You might as well beleve Desmond of the Daily Mails assessments, which their supporters probably will anyway *-)

1302206525_ONSforecast(2).png.a1ef81dfc90622c32c7559223169ef85.png

I believe our dear Brexit Secretary is not thick and he doesn’t need a formal impact statement regarding the Brexit effect on different sectors of industry. His in-tray must be full of correspondence with in-depth analysis from people in the know from those industries which just need to be verified and collated. He just doesn’t want to share it with us. I doubt that the EU negotiators are not also fully appraised of the impact on different industry sectors so telling us it’s better left to a later stage of the negotiations is just a smokescreen. It could of course be an impact on our industries that some in favour of Brexit are prepared to accept. Would it show I wonder that, as usual, any adverse impact will be borne by the less powerful and the poorest. How many people will have to lose their jobs so that the power hungry and largely self-serving can “take back control”?

Violet1956 - 2017-12-06 1:55 PMI believe our dear Brexit Secretary is not thick and he doesn’t need a formal impact statement regarding the Brexit effect on different sectors of industry. His in-tray must be full of correspondence with in-depth analysis from people in the know from those industries which just need to be verified and collated. He just doesn’t want to share it with us. I doubt that the EU negotiators are not also fully appraised of the impact on different industry sectors so telling us it’s better left to a later stage of the negotiations is just a smokescreen. It could of course be an impact on our industries that some in favour of Brexit are prepared to accept. Would it show I wonder that, as usual, any adverse impact will be borne by the less powerful and the poorest. How many people will have to lose their jobs so that the power hungry and largely self-serving can “take back control”?

I'm sure the three stooges will be along sometime soon with their 'for certain' answer to that question.....  :-)

John52 - 2017-12-06 1:18 PM

Wrong again actually, the value of the pound gets worse as the likelyhood of Brexit increases - which is presumably why they want future payments in hard currency.

So I said 50 billion pounds and you said 50 billion Euros ... So what.makes me "Wrong again actually" when I say the British taxpayer gets better value paying the 50 billion Euro bill ???

RogerC - 2017-12-06 2:24 PM
Violet1956 - 2017-12-06 1:55 PMI believe our dear Brexit Secretary is not thick and he doesn’t need a formal impact statement regarding the Brexit effect on different sectors of industry. His in-tray must be full of correspondence with in-depth analysis from people in the know from those industries which just need to be verified and collated. He just doesn’t want to share it with us. I doubt that the EU negotiators are not also fully appraised of the impact on different industry sectors so telling us it’s better left to a later stage of the negotiations is just a smokescreen. It could of course be an impact on our industries that some in favour of Brexit are prepared to accept. Would it show I wonder that, as usual, any adverse impact will be borne by the less powerful and the poorest. How many people will have to lose their jobs so that the power hungry and largely self-serving can “take back control”?

I'm sure the three stooges will be along sometime soon with their 'for certain' answer to that question.....  :-)
Should we be kept guessing though Roger? Where is the harm in producing it for parliamentary scrutiny now? It's no wonder I am sceptical when the reasons given by DD for not having undertaken them appear to be questionable. (and no you spelling bots it is not "skeptical" aaaargh) >:-)

antony1969 - 2017-12-06 2:31 PM

So I said 50 billion pounds and you said 50 billion Euros ... So what.makes me "Wrong again actually" when I say the British taxpayer gets better value paying the 50 billion Euro bill ???

Seems to me Antony that what John is saying is that could be more than a £50m bill when the time comes to pay up.

Violet1956 - 2017-12-06 2:39 PM

antony1969 - 2017-12-06 2:31 PM

Seems to me Antony that what John is saying is that could be more than a £50m bill when the time comes to pay up.

Or less but that's not quite so headline grabbing

But DD is on record several times saying that an in-depth analysis has been carried out. https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/staggers/2017/12/many-times-david-davis-talked-about-brexit-analysis-he-says-doesn-t-exist

and video half way down. https://www.thecanary.co/uk/2017/12/06/david-davis-squirming-now-wait-remembers-bbc-interview-brexit-impact-reports-video/

As regards the €50bn I think that is just to cover our commitments. Nobody knows how much it will cost for whatever they decide to call staying in the single market and Customs Union.

Violet1956 - 2017-12-06 2:34 PM
RogerC - 2017-12-06 2:24 PM

Should we be kept guessing though Roger? Where is the harm in producing it for parliamentary scrutiny now? It's no wonder I am sceptical when the reasons given by DD for not having undertaken them appear to be questionable. (and no you spelling bots it is not "skeptical" aaaargh) >:-)

All  I know for a certainty is those doing the negotiating, planning etc etc have access to way way more information that any of us ever will and therefore we have little option but to let them get on with it.  Despite John having all the answers I'd rather have an 'incompetent' (LOL) politician in there than our John.

As for being kept guessing......clearly those outside of the 'inner circle, need to know' club will all be kept guessing.  It's another of those things the remain camp seems to want in the public domain that will add strength to the other sides negotiating team.  Whatever indicators show to be a possible outcome based on suppositions (good or bad) the information will help the other side.  So I for one am glad to see things kept out of the public domain and to let them get on with it.

RogerC - 2017-12-06 4:35 PM

those doing the negotiating, planning etc etc have access to way way more information that any of us ever will

Hard to believe even that listening to the likes of Boris Johnson. But even if its true, its practically irrelevant when they are being held to ransom by vested interests like the DUP. Not satisfied with their £billion bung, they are now demanding an open border with an EU country whilst staying part of the UK!!! . At least a less well informed member of the public doing the negotiating would be able to tell the DUP to s*d off. But the Tories won't do that because they are still being blackmailed by the threat of the DUP not voting Tory Theresa May is too frit of another election to stand up to her blackmailers.

As if that isn't bad enough ( judging by their red lines) top of their agenda seems to be taking back control for themselves, which they put above the interests of the rest of us. What the economy needs most of all - free trade - is getting pushed further down the list by the personal vested interests of politicians, and the ever growing Blackmail demands from the DUP.

John52 - 2017-12-06 5:21 PM

those doing the negotiating, planning etc etc have access to way way more information that any of us ever will

Hard to believe even that listening to the likes of Boris Johnson. But even if its true, its practically irrelevant when they are being held to ransom by vested interests like the DUP. Not satisfied with their £billion bung, they are now demanding an open border with an EU country whilst staying part of the UK!!! . At least a less well informed member of the public doing the negotiating would be able to tell the DUP to s*d off. But the Tories won't do that because they are still being blackmailed by the threat of the DUP not voting Tory Theresa May is too frit of another election to stand up to her blackmailers.

As if that isn't bad enough ( judging by their red lines) top of their agenda seems to be taking back control for themselves, which they put above the interests of the rest of us. What the economy needs most of all - free trade - is getting pushed further down the list by the personal vested interests of politicians, and the ever growing Blackmail demands from the DUP.

I fear you are right John.

Violet1956 - 2017-12-06 5:29 PM
RogerC - 2017-12-06 4:35 PM those doing the negotiating, planning etc etc have access to way way more information that any of us ever will
Hard to believe even that listening to the likes of Boris Johnson. But even if its true, its practically irrelevant when they are being held to ransom by vested interests like the DUP. Not satisfied with their £billion bung, they are now demanding an open border with an EU country whilst staying part of the UK!!! . At least a less well informed member of the public doing the negotiating would be able to tell the DUP to s*d off. But the Tories won't do that because they are still being blackmailed by the threat of the DUP not voting Tory Theresa May is too frit of another election to stand up to her blackmailers. As if that isn't bad enough ( judging by their red lines) top of their agenda seems to be taking back control for themselves, which they put above the interests of the rest of us. What the economy needs most of all - free trade - is getting pushed further down the list by the personal vested interests of politicians, and the ever growing Blackmail demands from the DUP.

I find it interesting that there are some who can not figure things out for themselves.  It is clear to a blind man that there are behind the scenes talks, hard talks, going on.  As an example of how tough these talks can get just focus on this that Mo Mowlem, during the Good Friday talks, reputedly, told Ian Paisley to f**k off however she is latterly reported as saying she told him to pi55 off.  Whatever it was she was said it is simply to illustrate the fact that behind closed doors there is a lot of hard bargaining and talk going on.

What 'we' get to see is not even a gentle breeze in the face of the storm that is doubtless going on behind closed doors....which is how it should be.

RogerC - 2017-12-06 5:59 PM
RogerC - 2017-12-06 4:35 PM those doing the negotiating, planning etc etc have access to way way more information that any of us ever will
Hard to believe even that listening to the likes of Boris Johnson. But even if its true, its practically irrelevant when they are being held to ransom by vested interests like the DUP. Not satisfied with their £billion bung, they are now demanding an open border with an EU country whilst staying part of the UK!!! . At least a less well informed member of the public doing the negotiating would be able to tell the DUP to s*d off. But the Tories won't do that because they are still being blackmailed by the threat of the DUP not voting Tory Theresa May is too frit of another election to stand up to her blackmailers. As if that isn't bad enough ( judging by their red lines) top of their agenda seems to be taking back control for themselves, which they put above the interests of the rest of us. What the economy needs most of all - free trade - is getting pushed further down the list by the personal vested interests of politicians, and the ever growing Blackmail demands from the DUP.

I find it interesting that there are some who can not figure things out for themselves.  It is clear to a blind man that there are behind the scenes talks, hard talks, going on.  As an example of how tough these talks can get just focus on this that Mo Mowlem, during the Good Friday talks, reputedly, told Ian Paisley to f**k off however she is latterly reported as saying she told him to pi55 off.  Whatever it was she was said it is simply to illustrate the fact that behind closed doors there is a lot of hard bargaining and talk going on.

What 'we' get to see is not even a gentle breeze in the face of the storm that is doubtless going on behind closed doors....which is how it should be.
Why do you think this is "how it should" be Roger? The problem I have is how we can reconcile the support for the binding effect of a referendum promoted by Brexiteers when we are still in the position that we have not been presented with all the information necessary to inform our decision.

RogerC - 2017-12-06 5:59 PM

Tough talk and bad language might impress you and the Daily Mail Brigade. But its a bit silly when the other side is holding all the cards. Boris Johnson saying the EU can 'Go Whistle' for a divorce settlement is looking embarrasing now - even Johnson has become reconciled to the fact that we need to 'meet our obligations' as he now puts it. (Mo Mowlem was Labour by the way, which makes your comment look even more silly).

He is right! All but the most blinkered die hard Tory voters must see that now or they must be blind. Its ironic that their desperate attempts to cling onto their jobs and power and putting themselves first by getting into bed with a party that doesn't believe in Dinosaurs could be the very thing that finally derails Brexit. It would be funny if it wasn't so serious. I am actually almost (not quite) starting to feel sorry for those who voted to leave who had genuine concerns and reasons to do so. The Brexit Honeymoon period is well and truly over and now we will see it all implode as there is nobody steering the ship and no course plotted. All of us whether you backed leave or remain should be angry at this.

Its no good saying, I am sure they know what they are doing and I suspect there are all sorts of plans and negotiations going on that we plebs dont know about because there clearly isnt. Its the biggest monumental cock up in living memory. Lets just all admit that and call it off (For now at least).

Violet1956 - 2017-12-06 1:55 PM

I believe our dear Brexit Secretary is not thick and he doesn’t need a formal impact statement regarding the Brexit effect on different sectors of industry. His in-tray must be full of correspondence with in-depth analysis from people in the know from those industries which just need to be verified and collated. He just doesn’t want to share it with us. I doubt that the EU negotiators are not also fully appraised of the impact on different industry sectors so telling us it’s better left to a later stage of the negotiations is just a smokescreen. It could of course be an impact on our industries that some in favour of Brexit are prepared to accept. Would it show I wonder that, as usual, any adverse impact will be borne by the less powerful and the poorest. How many people will have to lose their jobs so that the power hungry and largely self-serving can “take back control”?

At the risk of being labelled "elitist", I doubt that releasing pages of detailed market sector analysis to the public would make one jot of difference, because few of the public would read it, end even fewer understand it. What I find inexcusable is that the detailed analysis doesn't even exist.

This is the equivalent of the tour leader admitting, after the tourists started questioning why the tour seemed to be going in circles, that he had forgotten to bring the maps with him! This is not a matter of DD not having read the analysis, but an admission that there is no analysis to read, except a few "wet finger" estimates - which means that neither the negotiators, nor the civil servants, have the remotest idea what the economic benefits or disbenefits of leaving on any basis might be. Given that, how can anyone strategise how to proceed with sector by sector trade negotiations?

We're somewhere at sea, the helmsman is blindfolded, the captain has lost his charts, the crew are all drunk, the compass is broken, and we can't get a weather forecast. So, we're just proceeding on the basis of "it'll be all right on the night"! Now, at last, I understand how the Marie Celeste came into being - except it is now the Britannia Celeste! What unimaginable, complacent, irresponsible, egotistical, idiocy.

Brian Kirby - 2017-12-06 6:53 PM

Violet1956 - 2017-12-06 1:55 PM

At the risk of being labelled "elitist", I doubt that releasing pages of detailed market sector analysis to the public would make one jot of difference, because few of the public would read it, end even fewer understand it. What I find inexcusable is that the detailed analysis doesn't even exist.

This is the equivalent of the tour leader admitting, after the tourists started questioning why the tour seemed to be going in circles, that he had forgotten to bring the maps with him! This is not a matter of DD not having read the analysis, but an admission that there is no analysis to read, except a few "wet finger" estimates - which means that neither the negotiators, nor the civil servants, have the remotest idea what the economic benefits or disbenefits of leaving on any basis might be. Given that, how can anyone strategise how to proceed with sector by sector trade negotiations?

We're somewhere at sea, the helmsman is blindfolded, the captain has lost his charts, the crew are all drunk, the compass is broken, and we can't get a weather forecast. So, we're just proceeding on the basis of "it'll be all right on the night"! Now, at last, I understand how the Marie Celeste came into being - except it is now the Britannia Celeste! What unimaginable, complacent, irresponsible, egotistical, idiocy.

Brian, I have a sneaky feeling that in your pre-retirement phase you were Sir Humphrey. (That's not a criticism btw). You have less faith in the competence of politicians than I have and I fear that is with due cause.

Under normal circumstances Maybot will have been long gone, she would seem to be totally incapable of running a government, but it would seem that nobody else wants the job.

I would have liked to have heard the conversation between Maybot and Arlene, did she really believe that you could get that past the DUP?

Violet1956 - 2017-12-06 7:10 PM...........................Brian, I have a sneaky feeling that in your pre-retirement phase you were Sir Humphrey. (That's not a criticism btw). You have less faith in the competence of politicians than I have and I fear that is with due cause.

No, not in the sense that I'm understanding you. I have worked for small businesses, medium businesses, local government, central government, and one plc, but always in the same field. That field has always demanded that problems be solved, and that the solutions be appropriate, affordable, and deliverable. That, in turn requires planning, and the plans, if they are to be affordable and deliverable, require forecasts of cost and practicality. The more complex the project, the more detailed the plans and the forecasts have to be to ensure (dangerous word! :-)) affordability and deliverability.

That is why I find it unbelievable that the most onerous, voluntary, national project in my lifetime has been undertaken on the basis of no plans and no forecasts. Had I ever approached any of the projects I worked on in that spirit, I would undoubtedly have been sacked and my employer (except the local and central government ones, where "heads" would merely have "rolled") probably sued. I simply cannot comprehend anything so casually irresponsible.

We have placed our collective futures in the hands of gamblers who don't yet know whether the game is roulette, blackjack, or poker, but have put their bets down regardless. This is tantamount to treason.

colin - 2017-12-06 7:35 PM

I would have liked to have heard the conversation between Maybot and Arlene, did she really believe that you could get that past the DUP?

I guess May was led to believe the first ransom demand would be payment in full.

But blackmailers invariably come back for more, especially to such an easy target.

John52 - 2017-12-06 8:14 PM

colin - 2017-12-06 7:35 PM

I guess May was led to believe the first ransom demand would be payment in full.

But blackmailers invariably come back for more, especially to such an easy target.

Frighteningly accurate. Do we really want the DUP to dictate our future? Call another election Mrs M. They need to be dumped and the sooner the better.

Archived