Cooking with only a hob

peterjl

Solwaybuggier - 2018-04-29 7:33 AM

rupert123 - 2018-04-28 9:30 PM

Really explain why I am wrong please, perhaps a few menu tips on how to burn salad.

I notice you don’t even bother to deny the dogmatic comment! After your arrogant comments to Brian Kirby I don’t see how you could.

In my opinion (notice what I did there?) you are wrong because there are a wide range of cooking techniques available with a hob, and with a remoska, and with a barbecue (whether proper one or Cadac.) Of course there are limitations - but are we to take it your van is equipped with a wood-fired pizza oven, sous-vide cooker, etc etc?

We’re each entitled to our opinions - it’s just a few of us think only theirs are valid.

You make my point here. Why buy a van that does not have proper cooking facilities and then have to lug around all the other stuff you mention. What I said is not an opinion anyway, it is a statement of fact, you cannot cook a decent varied selection of meals without the means to do so. Someone asked for an opinion , I gave mine based on what I know to be true. You obviously do not agree so I can only assume your tastes are simple and not very varied, fair enough, if you are happy with that who am I to argue.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting comments from all you GUYS. Who does the cooking in your vans? I would have thought the wife?

As we mainly go away in the summer to warm places, salads mainly do, with the occasionaL cooked meal. Sometimes eating out.

i personally do not enjoy cooking, (done it for too many years, starting as an 11 year old) so i cook basic meals (don't like my food mashed or scrambled . i.e Curries etc) I find I can manage on 2 rings, though we have 4 , one of which is electric, we have an oven , rarely used , Ok for reheating Pizza, and a grill, which is pretty useless IMO Have a toaster .

i envy the ladies who have a man who does the cooking, mine does not. I am glad to see the modern boys can cook, well the ones my Granddaughters have can. Think it is down to when I was at school, only girls did cooking,and sewing, boys did woodwork and metal work

So those of you who do cook, keep it up, whether you have 2 or more hob plates

Bye the way I am a great fan of pressure cookers, I have 2 of them, one I take in van when we go away later in the season

PJay

PJay - 2018-04-29 10:45 AM

Interesting comments from all you GUYS. Who does the cooking in your vans? I would have thought the wife?

PJay

Still in the stone age?

In our house whoever gets home first in evening does the cooking, whilst in the van we 'fight' over who does the cooking as the other has to do the washing up, there are times I miss the dishwasher. :D

rupert123 - 2018-04-29 9:47 AM

Really explain why I am wrong please, perhaps a few menu tips on how to burn salad.

I notice you don’t even bother to deny the dogmatic comment! After your arrogant comments to Brian Kirby I don’t see how you could.

In my opinion (notice what I did there?) you are wrong because there are a wide range of cooking techniques available with a hob, and with a remoska, and with a barbecue (whether proper one or Cadac.) Of course there are limitations - but are we to take it your van is equipped with a wood-fired pizza oven, sous-vide cooker, etc etc?

We’re each entitled to our opinions - it’s just a few of us think only theirs are valid.

You make my point here. Why buy a van that does not have proper cooking facilities and then have to lug around all the other stuff you mention. What I said is not an opinion anyway, it is a statement of fact, you cannot cook a decent varied selection of meals without the means to do so. Someone asked for an opinion , I gave mine based on what I know to be true. You obviously do not agree so I can only assume your tastes are simple and not very varied, fair enough, if you are happy with that who am I to argue.

I might have known there is no point at all in trying to enter into any discussion with someone possessed of omniscience as you so obviously are. (No matter what, I am not going to lose the moral high ground by saying what I really think of you!). But I can assure you my tastes in food are actually quite sophisticated and varied! I hope you have a good day basking in your superiority. :-D

Solwaybuggier - 2018-04-29 11:25 AM

I might have known there is no point at all in trying to enter into any discussion with someone possessed of omniscience as you so obviously are. (No matter what, I am not going to lose the moral high ground by saying what I really think of you!). But I can assure you my tastes in food are actually quite sophisticated and varied! I hope you have a good day basking in your superiority. :-D

I certainly will, glad you recognise it, off to watch the GP, now what can I cook on one hob?

rupert123 - 2018-04-28 9:30 PM.........................Really explain why I am wrong please, perhaps a few menu tips on how to burn salad.

Ah, now I understand Henry. You prefer your salads cooked, but not burned! :-D If that floats your boat fine, but I prefer mine fresh, generally raw, and preferably dressed.

Woof, woof! :-D (Dogged?)

rupert123 - 2018-04-29 11:40 AM..................I certainly will, glad you recognise it, off to watch the GP, now what can I cook on one hob?

Well, you could try re-heating French beans in engine oil, which I distinctly being given years ago in a French restaurant somewhere down in the south east. (when the French bomb, boy do they bomb! :-()Seems the right kind of haute cuisine to accompany motor racing! :-D

BTW, how do you cook a decent daube in an oven, or a fulfilling frittata under a grill?

colin - 2018-04-29 11:08 AM

PJay - 2018-04-29 10:45 AM

PJay

Still in the stone age?

In our house whoever gets home first in evening does the cooking, whilst in the van we 'fight' over who does the cooking as the other has to do the washing up, there are times I miss the dishwasher. :D

Bit like in our house, only we don' go to work. But i always cook, he washes up. We do have a dishwasher, but don't use it much, only when we have visitors. Doesn't take long to wash up for 2 , was different when we still family at home, I actually don't mind washing up!

Re stoneage, Yes I guess I am , but a different generation to you Colin

Brian Kirby - 2018-04-29 12:54 PM

rupert123 - 2018-04-29 11:40 AM..................I certainly will, glad you recognise it, off to watch the GP, now what can I cook on one hob?

Well, you could try re-heating French beans in engine oil, which I distinctly being given years ago in a French restaurant somewhere down in the south east. (when the French bomb, boy do they bomb! :-()Seems the right kind of haute cuisine to accompany motor racing! :-D

BTW, how do you cook a decent daube in an oven, or a fulfilling frittata under a grill?

Oh dear Brian, you will have to do better than this, just helping me prove my point. For a Frittata you need a hob and a grill. Daube is a differant matter, are we talking, beef, chicken,what? You can cook a daube in the oven of on a hotplate, depends. I like a beef based daube, not so keen on the Frittata though

peterjl - 2018-04-27 6:37 PM

Hi

We are looking at changing our motorhome and the one that ticks all our boxes, except the cooking arrangements, has only two hob burners integrated with the sink. No oven and fitting an oven might work but far from ideal.

Now when we are on a campsite with lecky no problem, just use a remoska. But the question is cooking when away from sites and electricity. For instance in the Canaries this year we were away from sites for days at a time as sites are few and far between and the locals don’t use sites much anyway. When in Scandinavia or Scotland we are often away from lecky for days at a time.

Back in the 70’s and 80’s we only had two burners and a grill so we used a dry fry on the hob and managed fine. Even with a young family. This Moho only has two burners. Sooooooo what do you use and what our options. I guess toast is off the menu!

Peter

Mornin'

Our first two (UK)vans had ovens, but I can't recall ever cooking in them in anger(not much anyway?).....by and large they just acted as very expensive,rattling bread bins.... :-D

If we'd been away for months at a time..and found ourselves needing to fill some of that time, then maybe we would've eventually used them?... ;-)

but when we got away, the last thing we wanted to be doing was sitting in/at the van, waiting for the likes a of "full" roast dinner to be done.

(..luckily we have a house, complete with a kitchen, for the likes of roast dinners etc (lol) )

What I found to be more important than an oven (or even the number of rings) is overall kitchen counter space...Even if someone's style of cooking meant that they only needed a minimal number of rings to actually cook on, you still need plenty of space to prepare,drain off, dish out etc etc

..another thing we found, the number of rings doesn't necessarily relate to the number of pans that'll fit on in one go!...not unless you only ever use milk pans!.

(we had a triangular 3 ring hob in our last van, but if I used a sauté pan(which I used a lot), I'd be hard pressed to get just one other "proper" pan on).

So a two burner, which is incorporated into the sink, may be on the "snug" side...?..

rupert123 - 2018-04-29 5:32 PM

Oh dear Brian, you will have to do better than this, just helping me prove my point. For a Frittata you need a hob and a grill. Daube is a differant matter, are we talking, beef, chicken,what? You can cook a daube in the oven of on a hotplate, depends. I like a beef based daube, not so keen on the Frittata though

Wrong again! Wikipedia describes cooking the second side of a frittata as follows” The partly cooked frittata is not folded to enclose its contents, like an omelette, but is instead either turned over in full,[3][6][7] or grilled briefly under an intense salamander to set the top layer,[2][4][6] or baked for around five minutes.[8

The references 3, 6 & 7 - which do not require a grill/salamander or oven - are respectively from Robert Carrier, Nigel Slater and Gillian Riley in The Oxford Companion to Italian Food. Oxford University Press. p. 168.

pepe63 - 2018-04-30 10:57 AM

peterjl - 2018-04-27 6:37 PM

Hi

We are looking at changing our motorhome and the one that ticks all our boxes, except the cooking arrangements, has only two hob burners integrated with the sink. No oven and fitting an oven might work but far from ideal.

Now when we are on a campsite with lecky no problem, just use a remoska. But the question is cooking when away from sites and electricity. For instance in the Canaries this year we were away from sites for days at a time as sites are few and far between and the locals don’t use sites much anyway. When in Scandinavia or Scotland we are often away from lecky for days at a time.

Back in the 70’s and 80’s we only had two burners and a grill so we used a dry fry on the hob and managed fine. Even with a young family. This Moho only has two burners. Sooooooo what do you use and what our options. I guess toast is off the menu!

Peter

Mornin'

Our first two (UK)vans had ovens, but I can't recall ever cooking in them in anger(not much anyway?).....by and large they just acted as very expensive,rattling bread bins.... :-D

If we'd been away for months at a time..and found ourselves needing to fill some of that time, then maybe we would've eventually used them?... ;-)

but when we got away, the last thing we wanted to be doing was sitting in/at the van, waiting for the likes a of "full" roast dinner to be done.

(..luckily we have a house, complete with a kitchen, for the likes of roast dinners etc (lol) )

What I found to be more important than an oven (or even the number of rings) is overall kitchen counter space...Even if someone's style of cooking meant that they only needed a minimal number of rings to actually cook on, you still need plenty of space to prepare,drain off, dish out etc etc

..another thing we found, the number of rings doesn't necessarily relate to the number of pans that'll fit on in one go!...not unless you only ever use milk pans!.

(we had a triangular 3 ring hob in our last van, but if I used a sauté pan(which I used a lot), I'd be hard pressed to get just one other "proper" pan on).

So a two burner, which is incorporated into the sink, may be on the "snug" side...?..

Must have been a small cooker then. I can 4 pans of a reasonable size on my cooker, it is the same size as my electric hob at home.i think that the UK made vans have bigger hobs in them?

Had only 2 burners in our boat, that's when I found a pressure cooker came in handy, and it stayed in place when the boat leant over as it was gimballed, had a better grill than the one in van too.

PJay

Solwaybuggier - 2018-04-30 4:08 PM

rupert123 - 2018-04-29 5:32 PM

Wrong again! Wikipedia describes cooking the second side of a frittata as follows” The partly cooked frittata is not folded to enclose its contents, like an omelette, but is instead either turned over in full,[3][6][7] or grilled briefly under an intense salamander to set the top layer,[2][4][6] or baked for around five minutes.[8

The references 3, 6 & 7 - which do not require a grill/salamander or oven - are respectively from Robert Carrier, Nigel Slater and Gillian Riley in The Oxford Companion to Italian Food. Oxford University Press. p. 168.

You are really getting quite pathetic in your efforts to prove me wrong.It is plain you are no cook, having to look in wikipeda to see what a frittatta is and how to cook it. I have cooked them and to get a decent finish you need a grill, if you have to turn over it becomes an omelette, do not care what wikiipeda states. . This is pretty sad and i would remind you of the original question asked. I gave my honest opinion on this, some do not agree, fair enough, but again, IN MY OPINION, you simply cannot cook a decent variety of meals without decent facilities. OK you can compromise and adjust your menu to fit a couple of hobs but it will be very restricted and as I said it depends on whether you really like your food or not. Searching out local fresh produce and eating are certainly part of our holidays, we do not regard it as a chore. The original poster gave no indication as to his preferences so any reply has to be from my own perspective. Brian was rude enough to call it rubbish and misleading but I am only giving my opinion, how this is misleading i am not sure. Rubbish it is not, if anyone knows the slightest bit about cooking they will know it is correct, if they are happy with two hobs and all the restrictions they pose the good luck to them, just not for me.

In use a motorhome is a leisure vehicle, be that for holidays or just away overnighting to venture to an event or visit an attraction.

For me holiday time is for enjoyment & not to spend a large amount of that time preparing, cooking & the subsequent washing up, etc..

I can do that at home all the other days of the year.

Similarly if overnighting visiting an event/ attraction, I've travelled specifically for that & so again no time for elaborate meals. Keeping it quick & simple does not mean it can't be enjoyable & nutritional.

It's about flexibility, (lol) (lol)

BTW Rupert I was under the impression you have a VW Camper ?

Therefore a 2 burner hob ?

Seems you aren't able to practice what you preach >:-) ?

flicka - 2018-04-30 11:47 PM

In use a motorhome is a leisure vehicle, be that for holidays or just away overnighting to venture to an event or visit an attraction.

For me holiday time is for enjoyment & not to spend a large amount of that time preparing, cooking & the subsequent washing up, etc..

Similarly if overnighting visiting an event/ attraction, I've travelled specifically for that & so again no time for elaborate meals. Keeping it quick & simple does not mean it can't be enjoyable & nutritional.

Totally agree with you John

PJay

PJay - 2018-04-30 9:12 PM

Must have been a small cooker then. I can 4 pans of a reasonable size on my cooker, it is the same size as my electric hob at home.

PJay

Mornin' PJay..

In hindsight, perhaps I should just expand on what I said.

I could get a second "proper" sized pan on but it would have been off centre of the burner...and if it was one with a conventional handle(and was not D handled or a stacking "camping pan") then the handle would have to poke diagonally away, into the corner where all the kettle & tea/coffee/sugar pots were.. :-D

Being an inset type of hob, the one edge was sat quite tight against the wardrobe wall, so trying to use a 3rd "handled" pan(not that I ever did) would've probably involved me having to poke the handle out through the open window (lol) (lol)

Quite apart from the hissy fits from the masterchef contestants on here, I like having all options open for cooking in the motorhome and  I think that is what the OP is asking for. 

We have oven, grill & four hobs and use them regularly. We also have an external gas point and carry a small Charcoal rotisserie BBQ.
We have had a couple of Christmas dinners from the oven, and regularly use it for a whole variety of dishes. We even made bread once! (When it's cold it's also a useful heat source in the van when cooking)

I guess if you were on many Aires where sitting out is not an option then two hob meals would be sensible, but we don't do that.

We only use sites, so the following is relevant.

Part of our enjoyment of our holiday is to sit under the awning with a glass of local plonk eating good, fresh local food we have prepared. We enjoy talking to our neighbours while watching the world go by while our food is cooking, maybe a poulet or a souvlaki on the rotisserie BBQ outside?
We also have a small electric crockpot which we can and do use with a small inverter while we are driving to prepare a casserole or similar while we motor, so that on arrival after a long journey we have a ready hot meal.

I enjoy eating out, but shun fast food and chain restaurants and always try to find that little gem where the locals eat - usually cheap, usually fantastic food - often simple.

When we can't find that sort of place, we do it ourselves.
QED 

flicka - 2018-04-30 11:47 PM

No, I have and always have had in all my my vans, three of four hobs, a grill and oven. I think you have the wrong impression or I have given it in that we do not spend hours cooking and preparing elaborate meals in van or at home. I agree holidays are for enjoyment and what is more enjoyable than having a nice meal and wine in the evening. If you are doing nothing else, not visiting an evening attraction, which we rarely do, it is better than sitting out in a chair staring into space, although have been known to do that as well.

pepe63 - 2018-05-01 8:36 AM

PJay - 2018-04-30 9:12 PM

Must have been a small cooker then. I can 4 pans of a reasonable size on my cooker, it is the same size as my electric hob at home.

PJay

Mornin' PJay..

In hindsight, perhaps I should just expand on what I said.

I could get a second "proper" sized pan on but it would have been off centre of the burner...and if it was one with a conventional handle(and was not D handled or a stacking "camping pan") then the handle would have to poke diagonally away, into the corner where all the kettle & tea/coffee/sugar pots were.. :-D

Being an inset type of hob, the one edge was sat quite tight against the wardrobe wall, so trying to use a 3rd "handled" pan(not that I ever did) would've probably involved me having to poke the handle out through the open window (lol) (lol)

Pepe

i use the the saucepans with D handles, easier to stack in cupboard. I do have a small milk saucepan with a handle, and of course the fry pan has a handle.

Incidentally my oven is used for storing fry pans, and spare toilet rolls help to stop rattles!!

As long as we all do what suits us , is the main thing, There are no rights and wrongs. we all live different lifestyles. we are of an age where we like simple food,having been brought up with food rationing, when you ate what you could get, and did not waste anything, even if it went in the pot to feed the chickens in the garden.

PJay

Hi

As the original poster i thought I should clarify the reasons for my post.

We eat simply. I interests are outdoor activities walking, running, cycling and landscape photography.

We do not spend lots of time cooking but.......

We use the smal oven grill we have to, grill meat, plus, when away from sites, make toast and cook part baked bread.

My concern was that, when away from sites with no electricity how would we cope with the part baked bread, toast, and grilling meat.

Welllllll toast is probably a no hoper but suggestions on this post have given a range of options for the other needs. Also, inspired by other comments a google search has found the Omnia camp oven for use on a hob. This looks ideal. We had something similar back in the 80’s when we had two burners in our old caravan.

The responses to this post have convinced me that 2 burner hob is more than adequate to meet our needs. Thank youneverybody for your suggestions and advice.

Regards

Peter

peterjl - 2018-05-01 9:30 AM

The responses to this post have convinced me that 2 burner hob is more than adequate to meet our needs. Thank youneverybody for your suggestions and advice.

Regards

Peter

Peter,

When you do change your van please let us know how you get on with the 2 burner hob, we all eagerly await your opinion!

Keith.

rupert123 - 2018-04-30 9:45 PM

Solwaybuggier - 2018-04-30 4:08 PM

You are really getting quite pathetic in your efforts to prove me wrong.It is plain you are no cook, having to look in wikipeda to see what a frittatta is and how to cook it. I have cooked them and to get a decent finish you need a grill, if you have to turn over it becomes an omelette, do not care what wikiipeda states. . This is pretty sad and i would remind you of the original question asked. I gave my honest opinion on this, some do not agree, fair enough, but again, IN MY OPINION, you simply cannot cook a decent variety of meals without decent facilities. OK you can compromise and adjust your menu to fit a couple of hobs but it will be very restricted and as I said it depends on whether you really like your food or not. Searching out local fresh produce and eating are certainly part of our holidays, we do not regard it as a chore. The original poster gave no indication as to his preferences so any reply has to be from my own perspective. Brian was rude enough to call it rubbish and misleading but I am only giving my opinion, how this is misleading i am not sure. Rubbish it is not, if anyone knows the slightest bit about cooking they will know it is correct, if they are happy with two hobs and all the restrictions they pose the good luck to them, just not for me.

I think the only person round here who’s been rude is you, but only what some of us have come to expect. However, I’m delighted to see you recognise that it comes down to individual opinion - until now the assertion has always been that your way is the only way.

You have no idea whether I can cook or not, though.

I completely agree about not relying on Wikipedia - which is why I used it simply as a source of references. Perhaps naively, I thought you might just possibly recognise the Oxford Companion to Italian Food as having some authority. Should have known better I guess!

• 1 year later...

Hi, we actually wrote a blog on this very subject as we don't use an oven (because we wanted more space for things):

https://www.brownandbird.co.uk/news/doyouneedanoveninacampervan

In terms of cooking toast- you can do it in a frying pan! Not oil needed and you get better toast than on any of these hob top toasting wire racks etc.

We also use the Omnia Oven at least 2-3 Times per week to cook and bake.

Archived