Reversing camera blue screen

Geeco

My 2015 AT Tracker FB has a high level rear camera as standard from the factory. It has started to show a blank blue screen when reverse is selected. Before I attack the silicon holding the camera cover to check the camera is ok I thought it prudent to check if this is a known problem or a one off. Any advice appreciated.cheers,

Thanks Brian & Rich for your replies. I raised the issue with my service workshop last visit. They suggested that the camera cover took around an hour plus to remove without damaging the bodywork. At A$135/ hour I think it is a task I will attempt myself. Currently in Italy until end of June so will check with AT while here for feedback. My guess is that there maybe corrosion on the camera connections. Cheers,

Gary

An earlier forum thread that might be of interest to you

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Auto-Trail-Camera-removal/31076/

On-line discussions about the ‘blue screen’ (No Signal) problem suggest that the camear itself is often not to blame and that the fault lies with the cabling connecting the camera to the monitor.

As it seems to be a sod to remove the camera’s cover, unless you are confident that the camera is the culprit, before attacking the cover you might want to try disconnecting/cleaning/reconnecting any connectors you can find in the camera-to-monitor cabling and (if it’s practicable) experiment by connecting another camera temporarily to the monitor to see if the blue-screen fault persists even when a different camera is fitted.

Gary,

IIRC the connection for the camera may be inside the MH and not under the cover on the outside.

Look inside in line with the camera for a plastic cover screwed to the wall and if there is one have a look inside. (It will be similar to the covers used to hide the awning fixings if there is one).

Keith.

I agree with the other posters, check the connections. It could be a fault anywhere between the camera and the monitor but there will be very few connections in total. it should be connected near the camera (inside the rear of the van) and behind the dash (somewhere relatively convenient), I doubt there will be anything in between.

You need to know where the power supply to the camera comes from. Normally it is from the reversing light when reverse is selected. A dedicated Autotrail system may be different though.

We have an intermittent fault on our reversing/rear view camera which shows a blue screen on the rear view camera. When we asked our dealer to check it we were told that the camera needed replacing and that it had only had a one year warranty. a new one was going to be over £400 no we said don't bother. when they reconnected all the cables as the reversing camera still worked, it started working again! This has happened several times and can work for a few days and then starts going strange again. From reading the previous replies it looks like the wiring is the culprit.

Petra - 2018-05-29 10:19 AM

We have an intermittent fault on our reversing/rear view camera which shows a blue screen on the rear view camera. When we asked our dealer to check it we were told that the camera needed replacing and that it had only had a one year warranty. a new one was going to be over £400 no we said don't bother. when they reconnected all the cables as the reversing camera still worked, it started working again! This has happened several times and can work for a few days and then starts going strange again. From reading the previous replies it looks like the wiring is the culprit.

May be the wiring but may not. I recently replaced my reversing camera as I had similar symptoms to you (although mine was an old one). I bought a new camera for £60 and fitted it myself, it's not that difficult to do.

Here is a link to the company I bought from. They were extremely helpful over the phone as mine was an unusual cable routing and they sent me one with the appropriate fittings of an extra length to standard.

https://www.parkingcameras.com/store/cameras.html

Petra - 2018-05-29 10:19 AM

I think it is more likely to be a connector that is faulty, rather than the wiring. However, the multi-pin connectors tend to be permanently attached to the wiring, so the only practical way to fix the problem for most people will be to replace the section of wiring with the defective connector.

Depending on the system installed, there may only be two connectors between the camera and the monitor, or there may be more.

You really need to expose the connectors to see what your problem may be. There should be one at the camera end and one at the monitor end, and possibly two or three more if the camera signal passes through a switch box of some kind to select the signal from either the rear view, or reversing, camera.

Do you know the make of the rear view system? If so, unless it is a make that is not retailed in UK, it should be possible to buy the relevant bits separately.

You will need to verify the make of system as, although the connectors are of standard patterns, not all make use the same pattern, and there is some variation between makes as to which wires carry which signal, so only the original manufacturer's wiring and connectors can be guaranteed (? :-)) to work first time. It is possible to get adaptor cables with different connectors/connections to pair to differing makes, but you of course need to know the make of the camera/monitor to know what adaptors may work.

If the system is Waeco/Dometic (and I think a few other makes), you should find Conrad Anderson both helpful and able to get cables etc as required. Also, if your system is Waeco, it would be worth enquiring about the duration of their warranty, as I believe it is better than 1 year.

The blue screen showing on the monitor usually means there is no video signal to the monitor input.

Sargent supply some of the AT systems:

https://sargentltd.co.uk/tech-support/article/Auto-Trail-Schematics/26

It is worth contacting them to establish if it is one of their systems.

If going it alone the first step is to confirm there is a power feed to the camera. Place a towel over the camera to simulate night time and then peep under the side of the towel to see if the night vision LEDs have turned on.

Remember to have the ignition On and reverse gear selected.

The power feed is unlikely to be taken directly from the reversing lights. It will, most likely, be fed from the monitor.

The monitor should have 2 power feeds. One main feed and a secondary feed from the reverse switch on the side of the gearbox.

A multi core cable is used to connect the camera to the monitor (carrying video power and negative connection). Sometimes this is not a direct connection but is fed through a small control box which takes the power feed from the reverse switch etc.

I don't know too much about the favourite locations for the control box on AT vehicles but Swift who also use many Sargent systems like to put the box at the bottom of the near side B pillar or behind the glovebox.

These systems invariably used 4 or 6 pin Mini DIN connectors. Check them all.

Removing the camera cover is tricky. Try a cheese or piano wire to slice through the adhesive.

Archived