Stays in Schengen area post Brexit

Brian Kirby

Guest pelmetman
colin - 2018-12-10 12:13 PM

I'm not sure how well integrated Schengen controls are, I seem to recall Gary staying overtime? but I've got an image of Dave waving his padron at French customs saying "But I've got this!"

Do the French customs man Bilbao and Santander now? 8-) ........

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest pelmetman
colin - 2018-12-10 11:33 AM

pelmetman - 2018-12-10 11:11 AM

colin - 2018-12-10 9:41 AM

pelmetman - 2018-12-10 9:24 AM

TheFrenchConnection - 2018-12-09 9:34 PM

Of course you could always be like Pelmetman and stick your head firmly in the sand. However wiser councils might consider that there will certainly be changes when UK citizens are no longer EU citizens. I have a Carte de Séjour which specifically states that I have the right to 'sejour permenant' in France but am still concerned about my ability to move around the Shengen zone post-Brexit - as are all of use who are actually concerned about legality.

As I said in a post in a previous thread waving a blue passport won't work in an age of ANPR cameras and electronic passport checks.

Unfortunately no one has the faintest idea of what will actually happen - especially Brexiteers

Being out of the country on 29 March doesn't seem like a good idea though - we plan to be safely home in France a couple of weeks beforehand despite our French registration camouflage.

Once you cross the ditch how often do you have your passport checked? ;-) ..........and how do they know I've not been in Spain were my padron allows me to stay for more than 6 months? :-| ........

Your Padron is only valid for 90 days.

Correct ;-) ........But the benefits aren't :D .......

https://www.calp.es/en/content/sign-padron-or-renew-your-entry

"Calp, the town you have chose to live in, ***needs you***. Sign on to the Padron! or renew your entry.

WHAT IS THE PADRON?

It’s the administrative record of all residents of the town. Each person that lives in Spain is obliged to sign on to the padron in the town where they habitually live.

It is complying with a legal obligation and allows you to exercise and demand your rights.

The larger the numbers on the padron, the greater the economic help the Town Hall receives to better provide local services. With a lower number of people on the padron, there is a risk to the provision and quality of such services.

RENEW YOUR ENTRY

As a foreigner and inhabitant of Calp you need to know that you must renew your entry periodically, normally every 2 to 5 years depending on your residential status. You just need to bring your passport and NIE to renew."

It's nice to be wanted :D ........

Still doesn't allow you to stay post Brexit, for that you will need to look into getting a green card.

I guess it depends on what the Spanish decide we need post Brexit ;-) .........

Currently a padron is what any EU citizen needs to stay here longer than 3 months ........But it's patently obvious its a rule they don't enforce :D ............

Coz if they did this campsite would be empty 8-) ..........

snowie - 2018-12-09 8:56 PM

As an interim measure Brian, I would restructure my year to two or possibly three 60 day trips over a 365 day period. I think it would be more flexible, and maybe three different areas would be a good change?

I appreciate that the extra channel crossing would be a nuisance, but what’s a couple of hundred quid?

Maybe not how we’d prefer to spend it, but worth it I think.

Snowie

OK, but how would you do that? 3 x 60 day trips is 180 days.

Your maximum trip duration is 90 days.

One year is 365 days, so only 2 x 180 days.

There is no indication that I could find that having set the first period of 180 days to commence on day one of the first trip, one can then take further trips that total more than the 30 days remaining from the first 90 day period. One then has to exit Schengen before another trip, and hence 90/180 day allowances, would be initiated. That's my reading. But do have a look.

TeamRienza - 2018-12-09 9:06 PM

I suspect the best plan is either to book for an early spring trip with the hope that things will clarify to something which allows you to continue your routine, or simply book a 90 day trip at a time of your choosing and make that your ‘European’ trip for 2019 until the dust settles and you can plan properly for 2020.

Whatever the date of exit both of these scenarios presumably would work in 2019 and possibly beyond.

Davy

Won't work! The limits apply to all third countries which, as I said in the OP, will include post Brexit UK.

These are long-standing rules that apply to all third country citizens wishing to visit the Schengen area.

The rules will only apply to UK citizens after we leave the EU, not while we remain members. That is the only significance of 29/3/19 (the no deal date) of 31/12/20 (the current deal date).

Several people have queried the right to stay post Brexit if you LIVE in an EU country.

My daughter lives and works in Stockholm and has been assured by her employer (who employ people from across the world) that regardless of whether we leave with the current deal or no deal, UK citizens currently LIVING in (not visiting) an EU country will have an indefinite right to stay and work in that country. My understanding is that this a reciprocal arrangement between the UK and EU.

Barryd999 - 2018-12-09 8:49 PM

I see twenty years of Mail and Express brain washing still hasn't worn off. :(

As far as I know Brian its Max 90 days in 180. No exceptions. Ive only really considered it in terms of our trips which are generally four to six months but no longer after Brexit assuming it goes ahead of course which is looking increasingly unlikely.

Correct - except that it is 90 days within any 180 day period. How is "any" to be interpreted? One might think one could split the year into two, 180 day, periods: one commencing on the first, for example, of February - to expire end of July, the second to commence on the first of August - to expire end of the following January, and then take trips to a max of 90 days between February and July inc, and further trips to a max of 90 days between August and the following January. However, using the calculator, the first 180 day period commences on the first day of the first trip and invariably terminates 80 days later.

There is no overlap permissible (that I could find) in the 180 day periods, so people need to be aware of this when planning more than one trip in any year, or the window created by the first trip will, in practical terms, negate the opportunity for a second trip.

This seems to me far more restrictive than I think anyone (based on the responses above) has yet realised.

Of course you could always be like Pelmetman and stick your head firmly in the sand. However wiser councils might consider that there will certainly be changes when UK citizens are no longer EU citizens. I have a Carte de Séjour which specifically states that I have the right to 'sejour permenant' in France but am still concerned about my ability to move around the Shengen zone post-Brexit - as are all of use who are actually concerned about legality.

As I said in a post in a previous thread waving a blue passport won't work in an age of ANPR cameras and electronic passport checks.

Unfortunately no one has the faintest idea of what will actually happen - especially Brexiteers

Being out of the country on 29 March doesn't seem like a good idea though - we plan to be safely home in France a couple of weeks beforehand despite our French registration camouflage.

Yes, but that relates to residency, which is well covered in the present 585 page deal document. Visits are not treated in the same way, and are separately governed under Schengen legislation, to which there is no reference in the present deal.

The rights we have at present stem from our EU membership, and our Schengen opt-out.

Only we and the Irish are in that position. The other four EU members not presently in Schengen are committed to doing so under the terms of their accession treaties.

Geeco - 2018-12-10 1:26 AM

Brian, can I offer you a solution. Spend one period in a schengen country and the other in Croatia. The coast of Croatia as I am sure you know is beautiful and parking up for a period in somewhere like the area from Rovinj and further south would be very pleasant. The food is good and it is price competitive with say the north of Italy.

We travel to Europe most years for around 6 weeks each trip. I suspect you will be treated like the rest of us foreigners. The wait at the border crossing will be no worse that the non EU line at LHR.

Cheers, Gary.

Thanks Gary, but I'm reading that Croatia is set to enter into Schengen during 2019. Besides which, one cannot get to Croatia by road without first entering Schengen. It is true time spent outside Schengen is taken into account in calculation the 90 days allowable, but it is the apparent inability to set the 180 day window to any date other than the date of the first trip that creates the problem for any subsequent trip that would bring one's total time in the Schengen area to more than 90 days.

pelmetman - 2018-12-10 12:34 PM

I'm not sure how well integrated Schengen controls are, I seem to recall Gary staying overtime? but I've got an image of Dave waving his padron at French customs saying "But I've got this!"

Well substitute Spanish for French. Just remember the relationship between local and national government in Spain is nothing like the UK.

Guest pelmetman
colin - 2018-12-10 1:54 PM

pelmetman - 2018-12-10 12:34 PM

Well substitute Spanish for French. Just remember the relationship between local and national government in Spain is nothing like the UK.

I wonder what they're going to do about all the Russians living here? :-S ..........

They're not even in the Schengen agreement ;-) ........

Once you cross the ditch how often do you have your passport checked? ;-) ..........and how do they know I've not been in Spain were my padron allows me to stay for more than 6 months? :-| ........

"Calp, the town [/b]you have chose to live in,[/b] ***needs you***. Sign on to the Padron! or renew your entry.

WHAT IS THE PADRON?

It’s the administrative record of all residents of the town. Each person that lives in Spain is obliged to sign on to the padron in the town where they habitually live.

It is complying with a legal obligation and allows you to exercise and demand your rights.

The larger the numbers on the padron, the greater the economic help the Town Hall receives to better provide local services. With a lower number of people on the padron, there is a risk to the provision and quality of such services.

RENEW YOUR ENTRY

As a foreigner and inhabitant of Calp you need to know that you must renew your entry periodically, normally every 2 to 5 years depending on your residential status. You just need to bring your passport and NIE to renew."

So you have a residential address where you habitually live as an inhabitant of a town in Spain?

Cattwg - 2018-12-10 10:25 AM

The timing and length of our Continental trips are very similar to yours Brian. Other than the possibility of requiring visas I’d given very little thought as to the effect of Brexit on our travel arrangements.

If we do leave the EU then, when ‘the dust has settled’ perhaps the MMM Team, or a question to one of the ‘Clubs’ could provide a definitive answer?

John :-D

Thanks John. I have separately e-mailed Daniel to see if he is willing to spend a bit of MMM's budget to look into this in more depth than I have resources to do, and also to publish something to highlight the problem (as it appears to me to be) before folk rush off to book their crossings etc for next year.

It is potentially premature to do this, but if parliament goes down the "no deal" Brexit route we shall be summarily ejected from the EU on 29 March next - which is not that far away.

Those presenting at the Schengen border will then, apparently, be liable to be turned away - unless it has already been clarified whether the UK will fall into the visa group of countries or the non-visa group.

Anyone who had already entered Schengen before 29 march should be OK, although they may find their return to UK more complicated and time consuming than expected. What will actually happen is, of course, still subject to clarification, at least until we know whether or not we shall Brexit, and how.

Every rule can be broken, until it's enforced. Usually when you can least afford it. I see mr.Brexiteer is quite comfortable taking what suits him from the EU without giving much back. Seems an accurate description given the situation isn't it?

Will be interesting to see what he says when he gets stuck in some ofice for a few hours with some overzealous border guard who insists on following the rules. I wish him the same treatment I received by the UK customs 15 years ago when they wouldn't accept my claim I was only visiting for 2 weeks and had no real plan or hotel bookings (was going hiking/climbing in the brecon beacons and snowdonia, hotels weren't high on my list of priorities). They only let me go when I somehow provided proof of enough funds on my credit card, made a hotel booking I didn't need, and wrote down an address of a friend I was going to visit on the way but had no intention of staying with. I wonder what they'd do if I overstaid the presumably 90 day period valid then (not in EU at the time)?

pelmetman - 2018-12-10 12:39 PM...……………...Currently a padron is what any EU citizen needs to stay here longer than 3 months ........But it's patently obvious its a rule they don't enforce :D ............

Just two things on this. Post Brexit you won't be an EU citizen, you will be a citizen of a third country. Second, post Brexit you will be subject to the Schengen entry rules for citizens of third countries, which are not set by the Spanish, though they will be administered by them at the port where you enter Schengen.

For direct ferries to Spain from UK, that will be a Spanish port, but otherwise, a French port.

I think you would be very rash to assume that the border formalities post Brexit will be the same in either location as they are now.

We only get an easy ride at present because as EU members we have entry rights under the EU freedom of movement directives. When those go with Brexit you will be subject to the Schengen rules, under which your entry and departure dates will be electronically recorded whichever ports you use (even if different ports are used to enter and leave), so determining how long you have actually stayed, and when, will automatically appear whenever your passport is machine read.

If we do need visas you will in addition have to apply for and obtain one, which will be stuck in your passport and will state day one of your stay (which you have to declare in the application), plus the corresponding 90 and 180 day periods. If you exceed the allotted 90 days within that 180 day period you will be recorded as overstaying. I can't find at present whether, or what, the penalty is. You will be unable, as I understand the Schengen visa site, to obtain a new visa to commence while an existing visa is still in force.

I'm not saying any of this to thwart Brexit, but because it presently seems a probability, and it seems likely to have unexpected adverse impacts on fellow motorhomers whenever it happens. I think you should do some serious checking on the requirements in your own interests. You might then be able to contribute something useful that no-one else has discovered.

michaelmorris - 2018-12-10 1:09 PM

Several people have queried the right to stay post Brexit if you LIVE in an EU country.

My daughter lives and works in Stockholm and has been assured by her employer (who employ people from across the world) that regardless of whether we leave with the current deal or no deal, UK citizens currently LIVING in (not visiting) an EU country will have an indefinite right to stay and work in that country. My understanding is that this a reciprocal arrangement between the UK and EU.

I'm not claiming expertise, Michael, but my understanding is that anyone living in another EU country will have to have gained residency post Brexit (not sure what period of grace there may be) if they have not already done so.

There is not, AFAIK, any bi-lateral agreement between UK and other states on the right to remain post Brexit. This was specifically refused during the negotiations, as it was thought likely to prejudice the UK's bargaining chips over the terms of the withdrawal agreement.

All I think there is, is the quite thorough section of the draft 585 page withdrawal agreement - which now seems more likely than not to be rejected by parliament.

I therefore think your daughter might be wise to check direct with the Swedish immigration office what her status would be should the UK suddenly exit with no agreement on 29 March next. After all, to coin a phrase, her employer is a rule taker, not a rule maker! :-)

Bulletguy - 2018-12-10 3:35 PM

"Calp, the town [/b]you have chose to live in,[/b] ***needs you***. Sign on to the Padron! or renew your entry.

WHAT IS THE PADRON?

RENEW YOUR ENTRY

So you have a residential address where you habitually live as an inhabitant of a town in Spain?

What you have to understand is the way local government is funded in Spain, it's not like here where any extra person is seen as a burden on a limited budget, over there more people registered means extra funds from central government, if some English person makes a false claim, so what, the locals get more money and if that English person gets caught the only come back is a reduction in funds, the English person will carry the can for making false declarations.

Guest pelmetman

WHAT IS THE PADRON?

RENEW YOUR ENTRY

Yep......The campsite address ;-) ..........

colin - 2018-12-10 12:13 PM...........................….I seem to recall Gary staying overtime?

Would be interesting if Gary could confirm this, when/how it happened, and the consequences, if he would be so kind. The Schengen rules did change in 2014.

I'd also be interested to know whether he requires a visa (as it seems he probably does), and what information regarding his trip/movements he has had to give to obtain one. The implication is that at least the first night's accommodation details are required.

I believe Gary keeps his van in UK, so by the time he enters Schengen, he has already entered the EU through (presumably) Heathrow. I'm therefore wondering how that might work post Brexit, as he will then have to enter both the EU and the Schengen area from a third country (the UK).

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2018-12-10 4:16 PM

pelmetman - 2018-12-10 12:39 PM...……………...Currently a padron is what any EU citizen needs to stay here longer than 3 months ........But it's patently obvious its a rule they don't enforce :D ............

Just two things on this. Post Brexit you won't be an EU citizen, you will be a citizen of a third country. Second, post Brexit you will be subject to the Schengen entry rules for citizens of third countries, which are not set by the Spanish, though they will be administered by them at the port where you enter Schengen.

For direct ferries to Spain from UK, that will be a Spanish port, but otherwise, a French port.

I think you would be very rash to assume that the border formalities post Brexit will be the same in either location as they are now.

We only get an easy ride at present because as EU members we have entry rights under the EU freedom of movement directives. When those go with Brexit you will be subject to the Schengen rules, under which your entry and departure dates will be electronically recorded whichever ports you use (even if different ports are used to enter and leave), so determining how long you have actually stayed, and when, will automatically appear whenever your passport is machine read.

If we do need visas you will in addition have to apply for and obtain one, which will be stuck in your passport and will state day one of your stay (which you have to declare in the application), plus the corresponding 90 and 180 day periods. If you exceed the allotted 90 days within that 180 day period you will be recorded as overstaying. I can't find at present whether, or what, the penalty is. You will be unable, as I understand the Schengen visa site, to obtain a new visa to commence while an existing visa is still in force.

I'm not saying any of this to thwart Brexit, but because it presently seems a probability, and it seems likely to have unexpected adverse impacts on fellow motorhomers whenever it happens. I think you should do some serious checking on the requirements in your own interests. You might then be able to contribute something useful that no-one else has discovered.

Perhaps you could explain how the Russians appear to have no problems staying for more than 90 days? ;-) ...........

They're not even in the Schengen zone >:-) ..........

spirou - 2018-12-10 4:00 PM

Every rule can be broken, until it's enforced. Usually when you can least afford it. I see mr.Brexiteer is quite comfortable taking what suits him from the EU without giving much back. Seems an accurate description given the situation isn't it?

Will be interesting to see what he says when he gets stuck in some ofice for a few hours with some overzealous border guard who insists on following the rules. I wish him the same treatment I received by the UK customs 15 years ago when they wouldn't accept my claim I was only visiting for 2 weeks and had no real plan or hotel bookings (was going hiking/climbing in the brecon beacons and snowdonia, hotels weren't high on my list of priorities). They only let me go when I somehow provided proof of enough funds on my credit card, made a hotel booking I didn't need, and wrote down an address of a friend I was going to visit on the way but had no intention of staying with. I wonder what they'd do if I overstaid the presumably 90 day period valid then (not in EU at the time)?

Very true. His duplicity will be his eventual undoing.

colin - 2018-12-10 4:38 PM

WHAT IS THE PADRON?

RENEW YOUR ENTRY

What you have to understand is the way local government is funded in Spain, it's not like here where any extra person is seen as a burden on a limited budget, over there more people registered means extra funds from central government, if some English person makes a false claim, so what, the locals get more money and if that English person gets caught the only come back is a reduction in funds, the English person will carry the can for making false declarations.

That may well be the case for now Colin......but i highly doubt it will continue, particularly given the political tension between UK and Spain over Gibraltar, not to mention the many expat British now leaving.

This year more than any i noticed a very proactive police presence, particularly in Romania where i had four random road side checks, two of which were on the same day just a few kilometres and one village apart. Also in Bulgaria and even Germany i had roadside checks. No use just waving your passport any longer. They want to see every single document regards vehicle, insurance and (out of EU), green card. Same at non-Schengen borders too, eg it took me over two hours to get into Moldova.

You all seem to be forgetting something.

When the Tory Party implodes and Jeremy forms the UKSR (United Kingdom Soviet Republic), we will all be subject to strict laws and poverty. The poverty arises from the sudden departure of Industry. The EU will build a wall, a big wall (and make us pay for it). If I were you lot, I would see how many Hens you can get in your motorhome. Well, you don't want it standing there doing nothing. ;-)

pelmetman - 2018-12-10 4:42 PM

WHAT IS THE PADRON?

RENEW YOUR ENTRY

Yep......The campsite address ;-) ..........

That is not where you "habitually live". Eventually you will come unstuck.

747 - 2018-12-10 5:09 PM

You all seem to be forgetting something.

When the Tory Party implodes and Jeremy forms the UKSR (United Kingdom Soviet Republic), we will all be subject to strict laws and poverty. The poverty arises from the sudden departure of Industry. The EU will build a wall, a big wall (and make us pay for it). If I were you lot, I would see how many Hens you can get in your motorhome. Well, you don't want it standing there doing nothing. ;-)

Already in process 747......£billions in banking and thousands of jobs has already gone to Germany. Brexit gave it away. And that's just for starters.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/nov/29/london-to-lose-800bn-to-frankfurt-as-banks-prepare-for-brexit

Archived