Stays in Schengen area post Brexit

Brian Kirby

pelmetman - 2018-12-15 5:03 PM

Do those rules not already apply? ;-) ..........

If so...... why have the same EU citizens been spending their winter here with us for years??????

Do these rules not apply to the Dutch? Belgium's? French? Swiss? Norwegians? Italians? Swedish? German's etc etc :D

"The European Commission states that EU citizens have the right to reside on the territory of another country "for up to three months without any conditions other than the requirement to hold a valid identity card or passport". Importantly, there is no requirement to register with the local authorities for a residence permit."

Yes Dave, but when/if the UK leaves the EU, those rules will cease to apply to UK citizens, because the UK will then become a "third country". The regulations I have been outlining apply to third country citizens (which we will become when/if we leave) and not to EU citizens (which we are now).

No straight banana for paying attention! :-D

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2018-12-15 5:20 PM

Brian Kirby - 2018-12-15 4:24 PM

pelmetman - 2018-12-15 2:14 PM....................5 months......which is apparently illegal already according to you (lol) .........

So I expect I'll be a self funded illegal again next year too B-) ........

I still think you haven't yet "got" this, Dave. First, you need to count in days, not months, if you want to avoid trouble.

This isn't according to me, it is according to Article 6. 1. of Regulation (EU) 3016/399, which you can download for yourself from the EU website. Just "Google" EU 2016/399. It is dated 9 March 2016. Download a copy and have a look.

I don't think he ever will until facing questions at immigration control, slung off a GP's register, or refused NHS treatment. As most months have 31 days apart from February it's easy to see in many cases the 90 days would not amount to three months!

Do the maths Bullet.......We arrive in October......leave in April ......some of the other regulars spend even longer here ;-) ........

So I'll ask you the same question.......do those RULES not apply to the other 26 other EU countries? >:-) ........

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2018-12-15 5:24 PM

pelmetman - 2018-12-15 5:03 PM

Do those rules not already apply? ;-) ..........

If so...... why have the same EU citizens been spending their winter here with us for years??????

Do these rules not apply to the Dutch? Belgium's? French? Swiss? Norwegians? Italians? Swedish? German's etc etc :D

"The European Commission states that EU citizens have the right to reside on the territory of another country "for up to three months without any conditions other than the requirement to hold a valid identity card or passport". Importantly, there is no requirement to register with the local authorities for a residence permit."

Yes Dave, but when/if the UK leaves the EU, those rules will cease to apply to UK citizens, because the UK will then become a "third country". The regulations I have been outlining apply to third country citizens (which we will become when/if we leave) and not to EU citizens (which we are now).

No straight banana for paying attention! :-D

So will they hunt down Brits, Norwegian's, Swiss or the Russians first? 8-) ..........

Seeing as they don't bother with EU citizens NOT obeying the rules........I doubt they'll bother with us folk who are ploughing money into their economies ;-) .........

So no banana for scaremongering :-> ...........Coz I've already booked for next year B-) ........

BTW......you forgot to say.......does the 90 day rule not apply to the other 26 countries? :-S ..........

Brian Kirby - 2018-12-15 1:10 PM

True, because it omits the money that comes back to the UK. The best figure I could find for the net was about £180 million, but this varies year on year. Since this was (relatively) easily checked, it was entirely disingenuous to use the larger, gross, figure merely because it had greater impact.

---------- It is a fact that we relinquish control of £350m to the EU and what we get back is entirely in their gift. I'm not sure I'd go so far as to call the slogan disingenuous, since it clearly has some basis in fact, though I'd rather they had used the lower figure as the impact would have been the same and an avenue of potential criticism would have been closed off.

This ignores the reason for mentioning the sum. Why say that, if one knows it can't happen?

----------- Not at all. The intention was clearly to make the point that additional money would be available for domestic purposes if it were not paid to the EU. I agree that it is highly unlikely that it will be spent on the NHS, but that does not alter the fact that it would be available for that or any other purpose, which is all the slogan actually said.

So should government cabinet ministers so uncritically have promoted it?

-----------Had it been expressed as a promise or a spending commitment, perhaps not, but it wasn't. The campaign never purported to speak for the government and it must have been clear to anyone capable of putting a cross on a ballot paper that they could not commit the government to anything.

But it was clearly paraded as appealing to voters, and as a benefit of Brexit. I agree that it is obvious that the claimed benefits of Brexit could accrue before Brexit. The real point, surely, is that it is now clear that they won't accrue even then.

-------------I take it your second sentence should read "could not accrue". And that was the only point I was making here. Asking "where are the new hospitals" before, by any interpretation or reckoning, they would have been built makes no sense.

Besides all of which, none of the above is relevant to how long one might be able to spend in Schengen post Brexit, which is determined by existing, long-standing, EU/Schengen directives, and is what this thread was intended to discuss.

---------------Agreed, and to some extent I apologise for perpetuating the drift, though I would say in my defence that I have not initiated any off-topic discussion and my longest off-topic post is in response to your contributions.

Finally, you asked in another post whether I knew as much about Brexit in 2016 as I do now. So far as it affects my reasons for voting, yes I do. The simple fact is that nobody knows how we will fare when we leave or what would have happened if we had decided to stay, particularly as the EU is pretty clearly moving towards federalisation. There is as much uncertainty now as there was then and all any of us can hope for is an informed guess. I don't know that we will benefit from leaving any more than supporters of the EU know that the sky will fall in, but I believe we probably will.

Apologies for the layout, but I've never mastered the art of editing quotes.

pelmetman - 2018-12-15 5:28 PM..................So will they hunt down Brits, Norwegian's, Swiss or the Russians first? 8-) ..........

Seeing as they don't bother with EU citizens NOT obeying the rules........I doubt they'll bother with us folk who are ploughing money into their economies ;-) .........

So no banana for scaremongering :-> ...........Coz I've already booked for next year B-) ........

BTW......you forgot to say.......does the 90 day rule not apply to the other 26 countries? :-S ..........

Blimey Dave, why is this so hard?

First you are unclear who you are talking about: visitors, or people with residence permits.

Each group is dealt with under different, separate, legislation.

One set of regulations for those who are classed as residents, who therefore have to own property, or have a long-term rental agreement.

Another set of regulations for those (like you) who are merely temporary visitors.

If the temporary visitors come from within the EU or Schengen they have the "freedom of movement" entitlements that EU/Schengen membership gives them, and the 90 days within 180 days rule doesn't apply to them.

If the temporary visitors come from third countries (i.e. post Brexit UK) then the 90 days in 180 days does apply to them (and in some cases they must also obtain visas).

Now, before you rush to make yourself look really daft, just read your questions above, then read my answers, and then go off and have a little think about what it all means. You are just not getting it at all at present, and you need to get it before we actually Brexit.

Oh, and just to be clear, if we don't Brexit you'll be OK for next year. :-D

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2018-12-15 6:41 PM

If the temporary visitors come from within the EU or Schengen they have the "freedom of movement" entitlements that EU/Schengen membership gives them, and the 90 days within 180 days rule doesn't apply to them.

Ahem ;-) ..........

? ;-) .........

Further info from the "EU" for you Brian :D .........

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/residence/residence-rights/pensioners/index_en.htm

Staying abroad for up to 3 months

Have your national identity card (ID) or passport readily available

As an EU national, the only requirement to stay in another EU country for less than 3 months is to hold a valid national identity card or passport.

pelmetman - 2018-12-15 5:25 PM

pelmetman - 2018-12-15 2:14 PM....................5 months......which is apparently illegal already according to you (lol) .........

I still think you haven't yet "got" this, Dave. First, you need to count in days, not months, if you want to avoid trouble.

This isn't according to me, it is according to Article 6. 1. of Regulation (EU) 3016/399, which you can download for yourself from the EU website. Just "Google" EU 2016/399. It is dated 9 March 2016. Download a copy and have a look.

I don't think he ever will until facing questions at immigration control, slung off a GP's register, or refused NHS treatment. As most months have 31 days apart from February it's easy to see in many cases the 90 days would not amount to three months!

Do the maths Bullet.......We arrive in October......leave in April ......some of the other regulars spend even longer here ;-) ........

So I'll ask you the same question.......do those RULES not apply to the other 26 other EU countries? >:-) ........

To be frank Pelmet i really couldn't give a fig as no matter what anyone tells you, or tries to explain to you, your sheer obstinacy takes over as you frantically look for a way out of the hole you keep digging yourself into. The same bolshie arrogance has even led you into believing you can circumvent the 90 day rule and outwit Spanish authorities by applying for a padron using a non-residential address but eventually this will come back to bite you when you least expect.

It seems the only answer you'll understand is as Brian said, "if we don't Brexit you will be ok for next year".

As a relative new comer here I'm confused. A brexiteer spends 5 months a year in Spain, probably illegally, but wants to find ways to get away with it. I may have the wrong end of the stick here but isn't that a little ironic? I'm happy to be corrected (politely, without emoticons) I had a house in L'Escala near Girona 13 years ago and was aware that 90 days was my max stay unless I had an EU residence permit.

Guest pelmetman
rael - 2018-12-15 10:22 PM

As a relative new comer here I'm confused. A brexiteer spends 5 months a year in Spain, probably illegally, but wants to find ways to get away with it. I may have the wrong end of the stick here but isn't that a little ironic? I'm happy to be corrected (politely, without emoticons) I had a house in L'Escala near Girona 13 years ago and was aware that 90 days was my max stay unless I had an EU residence permit.

"After arriving in Spain

Within 30 days of arriving in Spain, ***all non-EU/EEA and Swiss citizens*** who want to stay for longer than three months must apply for a residence card/permit (Tarjeta de Residencia or TIE). You have to apply at the Foreigner’s Office (Oficina de Extranjeros) or police station in the province where you’re living.

You’ll need a valid passport/travel ID, colour passport photos and a completed application form, plus proof of your address, bank statements, medical insurance, and other documentation relating to your own situation, such as an employment contract, proof of university enrolment or academic qualifications.

This temporary residence permit allows you to stay in Spain for between 90 days and five years, and can be renewed."

https://www.expatica.com/new/es/moving/visas/visas-and-immigration-102354/

Must ask the Swiss couple next door whether they've ever bothered? :-S .........

Coz they're regulars here like us ;-) .........

Just sayin it like it is :D ...........

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2018-12-15 9:26 PM

pelmetman - 2018-12-15 5:25 PM

To be frank Pelmet i really couldn't give a fig as no matter what anyone tells you, or tries to explain to you, your sheer obstinacy takes over as you frantically look for a way out of the hole you keep digging yourself into. The same bolshie arrogance has even led you into believing you can circumvent the 90 day rule and outwit Spanish authorities by applying for a padron using a non-residential address but eventually this will come back to bite you when you least expect.

It seems the only answer you'll understand is as Brian said, "if we don't Brexit you will be ok for next year".

To be Frank Bullet I really couldn't give a fig what you think either :D ............

BTW ........Have you or Brian worked out if the 90 day rule applies to ALL EU citizens or not? >:-) ........

Once you've decided best let the EU know eh *-) ...........

pelmetman - 2018-12-15 4:56 PM...…………...So your saying anyone from the EU "CAN NOT" rock up to Dover with their passport, buy a ticket and enter the UK? (lol) ...........

You'll be telling the worlds flat next 8-) ..........

Small point for clarity. If someone from the EU were to "rock up to Dover with their passport, buy a ticket and enter the UK" they would be in a highly confused state - since the tickets on sale at Dover are for going into the EU, not into the UK. :-D

Second small point for clarity. I am not saying that "anyone from the EU" can rock up to Dover with their passport, and enter the UK. What you were talking about was migrants, and migrants are not "anyone".

You seem to have forgotten that we still have passport controls on entry, and before someone is admitted they can be asked the purpose of their visit. Short term visitor, with return ticket, OK. Coming for work, or for longer than three months, different story.

So, what I absolutely am saying is that the idea that anyone from the EU has automatic right of entry to the UK is completely incorrect. There is ample provision within the EU freedom of movement regulations to exclude, and restrict, who comes in.

So, back (for the umpteenth time) to my statement: it is the UK government that has chosen to waive the entry restrictions that are provided for in the regulations. You just need to read more than the Brexit press to get the full facts.

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2018-12-16 1:03 PM

So, what I absolutely am saying is that the idea that anyone from the EU has automatic right of entry to the UK is completely incorrect. There is ample provision within the EU freedom of movement regulations to exclude, and restrict, who comes in.

You're aving a Giraffe Brian *-) ..........

When was the last time you were asked WHY you are entering France????? 8-) ..........

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2018-12-16 1:05 PM

pelmetman - 2018-12-15 4:57 PM

From experts >:-) ........

Oh, so you think there are some, then? Care to say who your experts are, because they say the opposite of my experts?

Not really ;-) ..........

Never did believe in clairvoyants :D ..........

Especially those with a Remoaner bias *-) .........

pelmetman - 2018-12-15 6:56 PM

Brian Kirby - 2018-12-15 6:41 PM

Ahem ;-) ..........

"The European Commission states that EU citizens have the right to reside on the territory of another country "for up to three months without any conditions other than the requirement to hold a valid identity card or passport". Importantly, there is no requirement to register with the local authorities for a residence permit." ? ;-)

Further info from the "EU" for you Brian :D .........

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/residence/residence-rights/pensioners/index_en.htm

Staying abroad for up to 3 months

As an EU national, the only requirement to stay in another EU country for less than 3 months is to hold a valid national identity card or passport.

But Dave, after Brexit we won't be EU citizens any longer, will we?

So the rules for EU citizens (that you keep quoting) can't apply, can they?

So then the rules that apply to third country citizens will apply, won't they?

And then the 90 days in 180 days will also apply, and they will be applied at the border into the EU/Schengen (whichever border that may be - both France and Spain are in Schengen), where you passport will be stamped. Your passport will be stamped again when you leave the EU/Schengen (via whatever border) and, if you have over-stayed (as will be clear from the time difference between your entry stamp and your exit stamp), you will be liable to a fine, or a ban, for overstaying - which is exactly what I said about 10 posts up!

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2018-12-16 2:36 PM

And then the 90 days in 180 days will also apply,

You mean those rules that apply to ALL EU citizens? ;-) .........

Or did you not read this bit? *-) ..........

"Staying abroad for up to 3 months

As an EU national, the only requirement to stay in another EU country for less than 3 months is to hold a valid national identity card or passport."

After which you should comply with the residency rules of that country :D .........

So basically this thread is a load of Remoanary baloney >:-) .........

pelmetman - 2018-12-16 2:14 PM

When was the last time you were asked WHY you are entering France????? 8-) ..........

If driving into France from Germany, Belgium or in your case, Spain, you won't be as all are Schengen countries...but you will be questioned when you reach Border control at Dunkerque, Calais, Dieppe etc as that's where UK immigration border controls are (for the time being) and UK has never been a border free Schengen country.

Going in the opposite direction, exiting UK through Dover port, it's not at all unusual to be asked by UK Border police the purpose of your journey and intended period of stay in whatever country/s....just as i was when i left in June. That's quite a regular occurrence. One year i was even asked how much cash i was carrying. €10,000 or more has to be declared to HMRC though i've no idea what led them to believe i might have anywhere near that sum. Point is they have the right to ask these questions. Just as they have the right to pull your van for a search and by that i don't mean the standard interior search which is done with all vans, but a vehicle underbody search in a separate bay. I've had two of those at Dover.

Guest pelmetman

So then the rules that apply to third country citizens will apply, won't they?

And then the 90 days in 180 days will also apply, and they will be applied at the border into the EU/Schengen (whichever border that may be - both France and Spain are in Schengen), where you passport will be stamped. Your passport will be stamped again when you leave the EU/Schengen (via whatever border) and, if you have over-stayed (as will be clear from the time difference between your entry stamp and your exit stamp), you will be liable to a fine, or a ban, for overstaying - which is exactly what I said about 10 posts up!

You mean these rules? ;-) ........

After arriving in Spain

Within 30 days of arriving in Spain, all non-EU/EEA and Swiss citizens who want to stay for longer than three months must apply for a residence card/permit (Tarjeta de Residencia or TIE). You have to apply at the Foreigner’s Office (Oficina de Extranjeros) or police station in the province where you’re living.

You’ll need a valid passport/travel ID, colour passport photos and a completed application form, plus proof of your address, bank statements, medical insurance, and other documentation relating to your own situation, such as an employment contract, proof of university enrolment or academic qualifications.

This temporary residence permit allows you to stay in Spain for between 90 days and five years, and can be renewed.

Must ask our Swiss neigbours whether they've ever bothered :D .........

Maybe your scaremongering Remoaner propaganda is working on some on here Brian ;-) .........

But it ain't working on me Hombre >:-) ...........

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2018-12-16 3:03 PM

pelmetman - 2018-12-16 2:14 PM

If driving into France from Germany, Belgium or in your case, Spain, you won't be as all are Schengen countries...but you will be questioned when you reach Border control at Dunkerque, Calais, Dieppe etc as that's where UK immigration border controls are (for the time being) and UK has never been a border free Schengen country.

Going in the opposite direction, exiting UK through Dover port, it's not at all unusual to be asked by UK Border police the purpose of your journey and intended period of stay in whatever country/s....just as i was when i left in June. That's quite a regular occurrence. One year i was even asked how much cash i was carrying. €10,000 or more has to be declared to HMRC though i've no idea what led them to believe i might have anywhere near that sum. Point is they have the right to ask these questions. Just as they have the right to pull your van for a search and by that i don't mean the standard interior search which is done with all vans, but a vehicle underbody search in a separate bay. I've had two of those at Dover.

Obviously you're a dodgy looking bloke :D ..........

pelmetman - 2018-12-16 2:55 PM

As an EU national, the only requirement to stay in another EU country for less than 3 months is to hold a valid national identity card or passport."

After which you should comply with the residency rules of that country :D .........

I don't know what you're worrying about. When you reach Dieppe, Calais or whatever port you return through, you have your Spanish Padron to wave at the Border control officials and tell them move out of your way. And if UK leaves the EU, you won't be an EU citizen any longer with the entitlements you now seem to want.

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2018-12-16 3:14 PM

I don't know what you're worrying about. When you reach Dieppe, Calais or whatever port you return through, you have your Spanish Padron to wave at the Border control officials and tell them move out of your way. And if UK leaves the EU, you won't be an EU citizen any longer with the entitlements you now seem to want.

I guess I'll find out wont I ;-) ..........

Not expecting any entitlements :-| ..........

I'm planning on following the rules in Spain........if they enforce them :D ............

pelmetman - 2018-12-16 3:20 PM

Bulletguy - 2018-12-16 3:14 PM

I guess I'll find out wont I ;-) ..........

Yes you will.

Not expecting any entitlements :-| ..........

That's not the impression you've been putting over on this forum.

I'm planning on following the rules in Spain........if they enforce them :D ............

As a resident i'd expect you to. But you are not resident and neither is Spain your 'habitual residency'. UK is....allegedly.

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2018-12-16 4:00 PM

pelmetman - 2018-12-16 3:20 PM

As a resident i'd expect you to. But you are not resident and neither is Spain your 'habitual residency'. UK is....allegedly.

But it wont be "Habitual" ;-) ........It'll be temporary :D ........

"This temporary residence permit allows you to stay in Spain for between 90 days and five years, and can be renewed."

Perhaps you Remoaners ought to know what you're yabbering about before you start threads >:-) ........

Reading through the ETIAS website

Applicants from the visa waiver countries will have to provide the following information when applying for an ETIAS visa. Basic personal details required such as name, DOB, current address, i assume to mean a residential address to which your name is registered....not a relative or friend. Another question is "past European travel information" which seems an odd one. Are they wanting to know which countries you've been in and when, or maybe more detailed information on your excursions into Europe?

Important to note this part;

Providing false or misleading information during the ETIAS application process may result in having the applicant’s entry into the Schengen Area denied.

https://www.etiasvisa.com/etias-form-application

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2018-12-16 4:47 PM

Reading through the ETIAS website

Applicants from the visa waiver countries will have to provide the following information when applying for an ETIAS visa. Basic personal details required such as name, DOB, current address, i assume to mean a residential address to which your name is registered....not a relative or friend.

Perhaps you Remoaners assume too much ;-) ..........

Archived