the demise of democracy in the United Kingdom

HarveyHeaven

pelmetman - 2019-02-21 8:23 AM

2.......They made that decision back in 2017 when Japan signed the FTA with the EU aka Germany who will be the major beneficiary of tariff free access for their cars to Japan *-) ........

3........Oh I see (lol) ..........You've disowned your experts who get it wrong :D ..........Do you have any that have got it right???? :-S ...........

4........So its another Remoaner myth.........and all that's happening is that a minuscule number of the 5.4 million UK firms are setting up European HQ's in.........Europe :-> ..........

Another myth that has been spouted by you Remoaners is the extra cost of exporting, which has been explained to you by me and others who HAVE EXPORTED..........is another piece of paper that's all *-) ........

2 Fact, or supposition? But in any case irrelevant, because Honda have publicly confirmed they are closing the Swindon factory. Jobs gone!

3 No, but as I said, they are not "my" experts - I haven't commissioned any of the published forecasts. You don't understand forecasting. Forecasts aren't precise predictions, they show probable trends, based on various assumptions.

I'd say that the general direction for the economy, if we Brexit, already seems to be going in line with the forecasts. We are seeing the consequences of large companies not liking what they see, and taking protective decisions.

The consequence is that several thousands of relatively well paid jobs are going elsewhere. That is a loss to the UK economy, and we have not yet left, we do not yet know when we shall leave, and we do yet not know the terms on which we shall carry out nearly half our total foreign trade.

We'll only know for certain how accurate the forecasts were at least five years after we have left, because economies respond slowly to changed circumstances (i.e. Brexit).

It doesn't matter what you, or I, think, or want, a process has been commenced, and it will go where it will. The forecasts said the process was unwise, because it would have adverse impacts on the economy. Those adverse impacts are already coming into view. Others seem likely to follow. The jury is still out.

4 It's no good quoting a large number of small companies - who are unlikely to shift abroad, who are in any case reducing in number, of whom only 45% are even VAT registered, and most of whom do not export. They may employ 60% of those in employment, but the other, larger firms, employ the other 40%. It is that smaller number of large companies, many of whom do export, some in large volume, who are saying they do intend moving, that count - because of the scale of their businesses and employment. You also seem to forget that many of those SMEs work to service the big companies. So, when the big boys go, they take down many small businesses. The Honda closure will cost 3,500 jobs at the Swindon plant, but an estimated further 10,000 UK supply chain jobs. Many of those will be in SMEs.

Export costs.

It is not what we remainers say - it is what the exporters themselves say. You may have sent a few of your products abroad, but these firms import and export thousands of items daily. So, if you'll forgive me, I'll take the word of those who deal with exporting and exporting in large volumes, day in and day out.

Tariff impositions are a self-evident cost and, to the extent that they may apply to trade with EU countries, so will increase cost. But, border checks take time, and time has a cost. Even filling in an additional form, thousands of time over, means extra staff, and that too carries a cost.

If you can't see where those added costs are going to arise, it is because your head is in the sand which, yet again, leaves you inelegantly exposed! :-D

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2019-02-22 9:32 AM

Export costs.

It is not what we remainers say - it is what the exporters themselves say. You may have sent a few of your products abroad, but these firms import and export thousands of items daily. So, if you'll forgive me, I'll take the word of those who deal with exporting and exporting in large volumes, day in and day out.

Tariff impositions are a self-evident cost and, to the extent that they may apply to trade with EU countries, so will increase cost. But, border checks take time, and time has a cost. Even filling in an additional form, thousands of time over, means extra staff, and that too carries a cost.

If you can't see where those added costs are going to arise, it is because your head is in the sand which, yet again, leaves you inelegantly exposed! :-D

So the vast majority of those firms are importing/exporting the same things day in day out ;-) .............

So once they've filled in the form once.......job done *-) ..........

Guest pelmetman

It is that smaller number of large companies, many of whom do export, some in large volume, who are saying they do intend moving, that count - because of the scale of their businesses and employment.

So name names then? ..........Who's moving to the EU? ;-) ..........

It cant be Honda because they're leaving the EU >:-) .......

Guest pelmetman

3 No, but as I said, they are not "my" experts - I haven't commissioned any of the published forecasts. You don't understand forecasting. Forecasts aren't precise predictions, they show probable trends, based on various assumptions.

I'd say that the general direction for the economy, if we Brexit, already seems to be going in line with the forecasts.

They're your Remoaner EXPERTS forecasts ;-) ........

In line with forecasts???? 8-) ............We supposed to be 2 and a half years into a recession and have 820,000 extra unemployed!.........The complete opposite is true, we're one of the few EU economies who are still growing AND we have 854,000 extra job vacancies (lol) (lol) (lol) ..........

Blimey Brian you really have sold your marbles if you think that equates with "going inline with forecasts" :D .......

No doubt you think Germany is booming? >:-) .........

pelmetman - 2019-02-22 9:49 AM

Well I'll say one thing Brexiter EXPERTS forecasts, he was right. Their only economic guru is Patrick Minford, a professor at the University of Cardiff and a member of the Economists for Brexit group. In 2012 he told a committee of MPs: "If you remove the protection of the sort that has been given to car industry, you're going to have a change in the situation facing that industry, and you are going to have to run it down. It'll be your interest to do it, just in the same way we ran down the coal industry, or the steel industry. These things happen."

pelmetman - 2019-02-22 9:40 AM

Export costs.

So the vast majority of those firms are importing/exporting the same things day in day out ;-) .............

So once they've filled in the form once.......job done *-) ..........

But not according to them.

pelmetman - 2019-02-22 9:49 AM

I'd say that the general direction for the economy, if we Brexit, already seems to be going in line with the forecasts.

In line with forecasts???? 8-) ............We supposed to be 2 and a half years into a recession and have 820,000 extra unemployed!.........The complete opposite is true, we're one of the few EU economies who are still growing AND we have 854,000 extra job vacancies (lol) (lol) (lol) ..........

Blimey Brian you really have sold your marbles if you think that equates with "going inline with forecasts" :D .......

No doubt you think Germany is booming? >:-) .........

What I said above Dave: NOT MY EXPERTS. They are the opinion of majority of credible economists, who happen to have forecast that Brexit will shrink the UK economy. As Pat says above, Minford is one of the few who disagrees, but he is part of a small minority. I'm going with the majority. Call it democratic, if you like! :-D

You are quoting wrongly above, because the forecasts you keep going back to support your claim were based on calculations made before the referendum, relate to the possible effects of Brexit, and we have not yet Brexited.

Plus, the form of Brexit still remains unclear. You can't expect reasonably accurate forecasts when the facts are as stable as a half set jelly!

But, what is clear is that there is no version of half set jelly Brexit that is expected to be beneficial. You then also have to take into account the fact that no-one yet knows what type of future trading relationship we might have with the EU. That ranges between WTO, which is the worst outcome for EU trade, to full membership of the EEA plus customs union, which seems to have minimal economic, but some political, impacts (i.e. BRINO, which Brexiters won't like).

All you can know now is that the economy is likely to be hit by Brexit, and the "harder" the Brexit the bigger the hit, and the closer the following trading relationship the smaller the economic hit.

So, we are not "supposed" to be two and a half years into recession with 820,000 unemployed, because we did not Brexit last June, and because those forecasts have since been modified due to the changed circumstances that have gradually crept into the light since.

You should also bear in mind that the figures you quote on current UK economic performance relate to the UK as a member of the EU, are the result of past decisions, that not all calculations show the UK economy as growing, and that none are forecasts of post Brexit outcome.

It is daft to look at the factual record of past policy if what you want to know is how things may turn out in future. In the words of that finance industry catchphrase: "past performance is no guide to future results". You seem to think it is.

pelmetman - 2019-02-22 7:55 AM

Bulletguy - 2019-02-21 4:35 PM

Brian Kirby - 2019-02-20 10:53 AM

pelmetman - 2019-02-20 9:40 AM

Brian Kirby - 2019-02-20 8:42 AM

pelmetman - 2019-02-20 8:26 AM

Brian Kirby - 2019-02-20 8:03 AM

1 You may, they don't. With major investments at stake, I'm persuaded by them. There you go.

2 Relevance to whipping post?

3 Not interested in Turkey or Japan, just in jobs and revenue earning production in UK.

1.....I guess we'll have to wait and see......

2.....You have tried to blame the closure of Honda on Brexit.......Honda have denied that and proved the fact by relocating to Japan and not the EU.......

3.....UK employment hasn't been this high since the 70's .......proving that Brexit is the best thing to happen to UK PLC in decades B-) .........

4.....Hows that list of UK companies relocating to the EU coming on? ;-) ..........

1 We shall.

2 I haven't made any reference to the Honda plant closing because of Brexit. Having said that, Brexit will hardly have improved its prospects.

3 It proves nothing of the sort. Brexit has not yet happened. It is what happens after Brexit that concerns me.

4 Relevance to whipping post?

1.......Agreed.....

2.......So you think if we cancelled Brexit...... Honda would stay? ;-) ..........

3.......Your experts said we would be 2 and a half years into a recession, and have 820,000 extra unemployed by now......But the total opposite has happened...........Is that not proof that your experts are useless??? 8-) ..........

4 .......You Remoaners claim hundreds of UK businesses are relocating to the EU......Evidence please? >:-) ......

1 :-)

2 No, they have decided and have put all their staff on notice, so are very unlikely to reverse that decision.

3 Not "my" experts.

4 I have not made that claim. However, it is evident from the news that firms are re-locating offices, factories, staff etc. Why now? :-D

The only things that are clear at present are that we don't know if Brexit will take place, we don't know what form Brexit will take, we don't know definitively when Brexit will take place, and we don't know what the post-Brexit relationship with the EU might be. Given that degree of uncertainty, few firms will make radical changes in anticipation. Doesn't make sense. Some are positioning themselves to be able to continue trading in the EU whatever form Brexit takes. Others will wait and see, and then decide. But, whichever way it goes, I see no reports of increasing numbers of companies and jobs flocking to the UK, only reports of companies and jobs going the other way. The other thing I see is reports from firms which trade extensively with the EU saying that all forms of Brexit will add delay and cost to their businesses. I assume they know their day jobs well enough to know what they are talking about. So 2 + 2 = ?

2.......They made that decision back in 2017 when Japan signed the FTA with the EU aka Germany who will be the major beneficiary of tariff free access for their cars to Japan *-) ........

3........Oh I see (lol) ..........You've disowned your experts who get it wrong :D ..........Do you have any that have got it right???? :-S ...........

4........So its another Remoaner myth.........and all that's happening is that a minuscule number of the 5.4 million UK firms are setting up European HQ's in.........Europe :-> ..........

Another myth that has been spouted by you Remoaners is the extra cost of exporting, which has been explained to you by me and others who HAVE EXPORTED..........is another piece of paper that's all *-) ........

Yesterday you were quoting "1.9 million UK companies".....today that's now suddenly gone up to "5.4 million UK companies". Where have these extra 3.5 million "new companies" suddenly sprouted from overnight during the past 24 hours other than in your wild imagination? You've just been plucking any old figures out of thin air and making stuff up as you fumble along!

Brian also said in his post, "I see no reports of increasing numbers of companies and jobs flocking to the UK, only reports of companies and jobs going the other way."

Putting it bluntly it's very much a case of 'one way traffic'.......unless you have links from credible and reliable sources to disprove that?

Will a briefing paper from the House of Commons do? >:-) ........

"The usual definition of small and medium sized enterprises (SMEs) is any business with fewer than 250 employees. There were 5.7 million SMEs in the UK in 2018, which was over 99% of all businesses. Micro-businesses have 0-9 employees.Dec 12, 2018"

file:///C:/Users/Owner/Downloads/SN06152%20(1).pdf

The 1.9 million refers to Ltd companies ;-) ...........

Interestingly it also shows only 1.4m are employers which puts your 5.6m figure into a clearer perspective. After all, a pelmet knocker up in some garden shed will hardly be contributing £billions to the economy or need to relocate in order to continue business.

Meantime the 'one way traffic' of companies and businesses leaving UK continues.

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2019-02-22 12:36 PM

It is daft to look at the factual record of past policy if what you want to know is how things may turn out in future. In the words of that finance industry catchphrase: "past performance is no guide to future results". You seem to think it is.

Seeing as we've out performed the likes of Germany since the vote ;-) ............

I'd say your Remoaner experts are very poor guide as to what will happen to UK PLC >:-) ........

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2019-02-22 1:25 PM

1 You may, they don't. With major investments at stake, I'm persuaded by them. There you go.

3 Not interested in Turkey or Japan, just in jobs and revenue earning production in UK.

2.....You have tried to blame the closure of Honda on Brexit.......Honda have denied that and proved the fact by relocating to Japan and not the EU.......

3.....UK employment hasn't been this high since the 70's .......proving that Brexit is the best thing to happen to UK PLC in decades B-) .........

4.....Hows that list of UK companies relocating to the EU coming on? ;-) ..........

1 We shall.

2 I haven't made any reference to the Honda plant closing because of Brexit. Having said that, Brexit will hardly have improved its prospects.

3 It proves nothing of the sort. Brexit has not yet happened. It is what happens after Brexit that concerns me.

1.......Agreed.....

2.......So you think if we cancelled Brexit...... Honda would stay? ;-) ..........

3.......Your experts said we would be 2 and a half years into a recession, and have 820,000 extra unemployed by now......But the total opposite has happened...........Is that not proof that your experts are useless??? 8-) ..........

4 .......You Remoaners claim hundreds of UK businesses are relocating to the EU......Evidence please? >:-) ......

2 No, they have decided and have put all their staff on notice, so are very unlikely to reverse that decision.

3 Not "my" experts.

4 I have not made that claim. However, it is evident from the news that firms are re-locating offices, factories, staff etc. Why now? :-D

The only things that are clear at present are that we don't know if Brexit will take place, we don't know what form Brexit will take, we don't know definitively when Brexit will take place, and we don't know what the post-Brexit relationship with the EU might be. Given that degree of uncertainty, few firms will make radical changes in anticipation. Doesn't make sense. Some are positioning themselves to be able to continue trading in the EU whatever form Brexit takes. Others will wait and see, and then decide. But, whichever way it goes, I see no reports of increasing numbers of companies and jobs flocking to the UK, only reports of companies and jobs going the other way. The other thing I see is reports from firms which trade extensively with the EU saying that all forms of Brexit will add delay and cost to their businesses. I assume they know their day jobs well enough to know what they are talking about. So 2 + 2 = ?

Yesterday you were quoting "1.9 million UK companies".....today that's now suddenly gone up to "5.4 million UK companies". Where have these extra 3.5 million "new companies" suddenly sprouted from overnight during the past 24 hours other than in your wild imagination? You've just been plucking any old figures out of thin air and making stuff up as you fumble along!

Brian also said in his post, "I see no reports of increasing numbers of companies and jobs flocking to the UK, only reports of companies and jobs going the other way."

Putting it bluntly it's very much a case of 'one way traffic'.......unless you have links from credible and reliable sources to disprove that?

"The usual definition of small and medium sized enterprises (SMEs) is any business with fewer than 250 employees. There were 5.7 million SMEs in the UK in 2018, which was over 99% of all businesses. Micro-businesses have 0-9 employees.Dec 12, 2018"

Interestingly it also shows only 1.4m are employers which puts your 5.6m figure into a clearer perspective. After all, a pelmet knocker up in some garden shed will hardly be contributing £billions to the economy or need to relocate in order to continue business.

Meantime the 'one way traffic' of companies and businesses leaving UK continues.

Eh?..........Put your specs on Bullet :-S .......

There are 5.7 MILLION SME's in the UK who employ up to 250 people >:-) ........

I was a exporting micro business with fewer than 9 employees :D .........

So have you got that list of companies relocating? ;-) ............

pelmetman - 2019-02-22 3:19 PM

Bulletguy - 2019-02-22 1:25 PM

1 We shall.

1.......Agreed.....

3 Not "my" experts.

Eh?..........Put your specs on Bullet :-S .......

There are 5.7 MILLION SME's in the UK who employ up to 250 people >:-) ........

Correct....and i've emboldened the important words you are ignoring "up to"...and it clearly states that's from zero (no employees) "up to" 250. My window cleaner falls in the SME bracket. It's only small, medium, and large businesses where the figures are of any significance and there ain't very many of those are there?

The number of companies looking to relocate have been well reported in the media, eg Dutch government have been in talks with over 250 UK companies looking to relocate and 2000 jobs already gone there. Car parts company Schaeffler closed down two UK operations with the loss of almost 600 jobs, Honda announced it's closure this week with the loss of 7,000 jobs in total and the list is growing but you prefer to remain in denial and pretend no jobs or businesses have closed down. You're in a permanent state of denial.

There's a long running thread here listing companies but you won't read any of it and prefer to deny deny deny, so i don't know why i bother putting links up. As far as you're concerned, if told it was dark at 2am in UK you'd claim it was daylight.

pelmetman - 2019-02-22 3:15 PM

Seeing as we've out performed the likes of Germany since the vote ;-) ............

I'd say your Remoaner experts are very poor guide as to what will happen to UK PLC >:-) ........

Might be a more convincing argument if you had a range of recognised forecasts all saying Brexit will be economic nirvana! :-D

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2019-02-22 6:34 PM

pelmetman - 2019-02-22 3:15 PM

Might be a more convincing argument if you had a range of recognised forecasts all saying Brexit will be economic nirvana! :-D

Cant say I ever give much credence to guesstimates ;-) ...........

I prefer actuality.........and we're actually doing much better than any of your Remoaner experts predicted B-) ..........

Much to yours and theirs annoyance >:-) .........

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2019-02-22 5:49 PM

The number of companies looking to relocate have been well reported in the media, eg Dutch government have been in talks with over 250 UK companies looking to relocate and 2000 jobs already gone there. Car parts company Schaeffler closed down two UK operations with the loss of almost 600 jobs, Honda announced it's closure this week with the loss of 7,000 jobs in total and the list is growing but you prefer to remain in denial and pretend no jobs or businesses have closed down. You're in a permanent state of denial.

SO NAME ONE! *-) .........There must be hundreds to chose from >:-) ..........

pelmetman - 2019-02-22 7:54 PM

You already have by quoting my post but so blinkered in your denial, never even noticed. Have you found any companies upping sticks to relocate to UK 'because of Brexit' yet?

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2019-02-22 8:41 PM

You already have by quoting my post but so blinkered in your denial, never even noticed. Have you found any companies upping sticks to relocate to UK 'because of Brexit' yet?

So have they relocated the factory to the EU? ;-) ...........Nope :D .........

How hard can it be to find just one UK firm that has relocated to the EU? :-S ...........

There's supposed to be hundreds of them? >:-) ..........

pelmetman - 2019-02-22 9:16 PM

Yes.

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2019-02-22 9:27 PM

Yes.

Really? 8-) ............

So where is Honda relocating to? :-S ..........

BTW Japan isn't in the EU ;-) ........

Oh .......and they're not a UK firm :D...........

pelmetman - 2019-02-22 9:30 PM

Yes.

Really? 8-) ............

Idiot.

Schaeffler said its factories in Plymouth, southwest England, and Llanelli in Wales would close over the next couple of years, with production moving to Germany, China, South Korea and the United States.

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2019-02-22 10:10 PM

Yes.

Really? 8-) ............

Idiot.

Schaeffler said its factories in Plymouth, southwest England, and Llanelli in Wales would close over the next couple of years, with production moving to Germany, China, South Korea and the United States.

Is that it???? 8-) ...........

One German owned business shutting factories due to the downturn in the car industry and blaming Brexit :-S ............

I thought you Remoaners said there were hundreds of UK businesses relocating to the EU? ;-) ........

So you're just spreading more FAKE NEWS >:-) .........

pelmetman - 2019-02-23 7:52 AM

Yes.

Really? 8-) ............

Idiot.

One German owned business shutting factories due to the downturn in the car industry and blaming Brexit :-S ............

Quit playing the clown. You got shouty demanding 'so name one', then when it was pointed out you'd already done that by quoting my post, thought you'd try and look clever by using Honda and ignore the one you knew had gone back to an EU country.

You're being flippantly dismissive as though that's irrelevant, ignoring the widely reported media of companies planning to leave or already left UK, due to uncertainties around Brexit. I already know you don't care or give a flying f*ck about people losing their jobs as you've made that very clear on this forum which i find utterly abhorrent.

I'm still waiting for you to show any companies coming to UK 'because of Brexit'....but still nothing.

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2019-02-23 3:47 PM

Yes.

Really? 8-) ............

Idiot.

Quit playing the clown. You got shouty demanding 'so name one', then when it was pointed out you'd already done that by quoting my post, thought you'd try and look clever by using Honda and ignore the one you knew had gone back to an EU country.

You're being flippantly dismissive as though that's irrelevant, ignoring the widely reported media of companies planning to leave or already left UK, due to uncertainties around Brexit. I already know you don't care or give a flying f*ck about people losing their jobs as you've made that very clear on this forum which i find utterly abhorrent.

I'm still waiting for you to show any companies coming to UK 'because of Brexit'....but still nothing.

Is that it Dumb Dumb???? :-S ..........a German company cutting its overheads because their industry is in the sh*t ;-) ........

Surely you can name a few of the hundreds of UK companies who are relocating to the EU? >:-) ........

Unless of course you were just spreading FAKE NEWS? 8-) .........

pelmetman - 2019-02-23 7:32 PM

Yes.

Really? 8-) ............

Idiot.

Is that it Dumb Dumb???? :-S .........

No, i've not finished with you by a long way. You're not wriggling off the hook this time.

Please post a link of a company coming to UK "because of Brexit" as i've been asking you numerous times. I'm only seeing 'one way traffic' of businesses leaving UK "due to uncertainties with Brexit". You dispute that and claim it's not true, yet when you're given the opportunity to show business coming here, you can't. What happened to this exodus of companies Brexit would bring to the UK...who and where are they?

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2019-02-23 8:24 PM

Yes.

Really? 8-) ............

Idiot.

No, i've not finished with you by a long way. You're not wriggling off the hook this time.

Please post a link of a company coming to UK "because of Brexit" as i've been asking you numerous times. I'm only seeing 'one way traffic' of businesses leaving UK "due to uncertainties with Brexit". You dispute that and claim it's not true, yet when you're given the opportunity to show business coming here, you can't. What happened to this exodus of companies Brexit would bring to the UK...who and where are they?

I will ;-) .........When you come up with the name of a UK company that has relocated to the EU? >:-) ........

You've got hundreds to chose from......haven't you? (lol) (lol) (lol) .........

pelmetman - 2019-02-23 8:44 PM

Bulletguy - 2019-02-23 8:24 PM

Yes.

Really? 8-) ............

Idiot.

I will ;-) .........

Yes you will....so come on, quit avoiding the question. I've given you links but you flatly refuse to open any. Now it's time you answered my question. No more deflections and excuses. I want answers to the below please.

Please post a link of a company coming to UK "because of Brexit" as i've been asking you numerous times.

I'm only seeing 'one way traffic' of businesses leaving UK "due to uncertainties with Brexit". You dispute that and claim it's not true, yet when you're given the opportunity to show business coming here, you can't.

What happened to this exodus of companies Brexit would bring to the UK...who and where are they?

Archived