Bulletguy - 2019-09-02 10:53 PM

pelmetman - 2019-09-02 10:00 PM

Brian Kirby - 2019-09-02 6:50 PM

pelmetman - 2019-09-02 8:00 AM

Barryd999 - 2019-09-01 4:59 PM

pelmetman - 2019-09-01 9:15 AM

Barryd999 - 2019-09-01 8:50 AM

jumpstart - 2019-08-31 5:20 PM

Of coarse I read about it ,just like the demonstrations in London .Im not there but it’s news. I happen to know personally on a particular committee in the Eu where everyone from each county agrees to pass the recommendations but when it comes to vote it through if one representative is absent it has to be delayed agiain. So even though they all agree no final decisions can be made. Apparently it drives them mad as nothing gets done.nd this is common. Any thing about Eu policies is read about how else would we know.?

And that is my entire point. For the past four years near enough all we have heard is the same bite size headlines from Brexiteers they read time after time in the Mail or Express. I dont ever recall anyone on here or anywhere else for that matter providing any personal evidence or accounts of how being in the EU has adversely effected their lives. Not a single one. This entire anti EU feeling has been a long term campaign from the anti EU press with a vested interest in leaving the EU. coupled with that you have the government and politicians blaming the EU for their own failures and bingo! Leaving the EU seems like a good idea to many but totally based on pretty much a bed of lies.

So you are denying that we are forced to allow EU criminals to stay in the UK? *-) ............

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/politics/1239980/uk-forced-to-harbour-50-criminals-including-killers-and-rapists-under-eu-law-brexiteers-claim/

It's you Remoaners who are spreading lies >:-( ..........

When did I deny that? We can certainly refuse entry to criminals or anyone from the EU that might present a security risk but what has any of that got to do with what I asked? You seem to hate the EU more than anyone I have ever come across so whats your personal reason for that? What has made your life so unbearable "personally" that you want to leave so much? How has it effected "you".

Citing because we have to lock up a few European law breakers as a good enough reason to leave is like refusing a nice meal in a restaurant because you dont like the couple of leaves of garnish on the side.

I doubt 10's of 1000's of their victims think the same *-) ...........

10s of 1,000s means better than 20,000. My turn to ask if you have the evidence to back that up? Are you really claiming that more than 20,000 people have been the victims of European migrants in the UK?

How many victims do you need to earn 40k pick pocketing Brian? *-) ...........

https://metro.co.uk/2018/04/10/romanian-pickpockets-stole-40000-people-heathrow-luton-airports-7454657/

.......and that's just one gang :-| ..........

It's also one heck of a leap from the "killers, rapists and drug traffickers" you previously linked. Brian boxed you into a corner so now you're flailing around clutching at whatever little straw you can find. What next....moaning about Big Issue sellers? *-)

Are the victims of Romanian pickpockets not victims? :-S ............

You're your own worst enemy as you do yourself no favours at all constantly moving the goal posts when you'd already lost the argument long back when Brian boxed you in. You'd gain a lot more credibility if you dropped your incessant rabid xenophobia and sweeping generalisations of foreigners.

Why is it you go out of your way to spend as much time as possible in Spain every year among all them nasty foreigner folk? You hate anything EU related, you hate foreign folk.....why do you even go there?

Skeggie is the place for you....Brexit-on-Sea. Amusement arcades, Bingo, greasy spoon cafes, boozer bars flogging warm beer, Chippy's, bacon butty bars. No self respecting Brexit patriot should ever turn their back on that.

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-eu-coast-insight/in-brexit-on-sea-the-left-behind-still-want-out-idUKKCN1RG0GL

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2019-09-03 12:37 AM

pelmetman - 2019-09-02 11:01 PM

Of coarse I read about it ,just like the demonstrations in London .Im not there but it’s news. I happen to know personally on a particular committee in the Eu where everyone from each county agrees to pass the recommendations but when it comes to vote it through if one representative is absent it has to be delayed agiain. So even though they all agree no final decisions can be made. Apparently it drives them mad as nothing gets done.nd this is common. Any thing about Eu policies is read about how else would we know.?

And that is my entire point. For the past four years near enough all we have heard is the same bite size headlines from Brexiteers they read time after time in the Mail or Express. I dont ever recall anyone on here or anywhere else for that matter providing any personal evidence or accounts of how being in the EU has adversely effected their lives. Not a single one. This entire anti EU feeling has been a long term campaign from the anti EU press with a vested interest in leaving the EU. coupled with that you have the government and politicians blaming the EU for their own failures and bingo! Leaving the EU seems like a good idea to many but totally based on pretty much a bed of lies.

So you are denying that we are forced to allow EU criminals to stay in the UK? *-) ............

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/politics/1239980/uk-forced-to-harbour-50-criminals-including-killers-and-rapists-under-eu-law-brexiteers-claim/

When did I deny that? We can certainly refuse entry to criminals or anyone from the EU that might present a security risk but what has any of that got to do with what I asked? You seem to hate the EU more than anyone I have ever come across so whats your personal reason for that? What has made your life so unbearable "personally" that you want to leave so much? How has it effected "you".

Citing because we have to lock up a few European law breakers as a good enough reason to leave is like refusing a nice meal in a restaurant because you dont like the couple of leaves of garnish on the side.

10s of 1,000s means better than 20,000. My turn to ask if you have the evidence to back that up? Are you really claiming that more than 20,000 people have been the victims of European migrants in the UK?

https://metro.co.uk/2018/04/10/romanian-pickpockets-stole-40000-people-heathrow-luton-airports-7454657/

It's also one heck of a leap from the "killers, rapists and drug traffickers" you previously linked. Brian boxed you into a corner so now you're flailing around clutching at whatever little straw you can find. What next....moaning about Big Issue sellers? *-)

You're your own worst enemy as you do yourself no favours at all constantly moving the goal posts when you'd already lost the argument long back when Brian boxed you in. You'd gain a lot more credibility if you dropped your incessant rabid xenophobia and sweeping generalisations of foreigners.

Why is it you go out of your way to spend as much time as possible in Spain every year among all them nasty foreigner folk? You hate anything EU related, you hate foreign folk.....why do you even go there?

Skeggie is the place for you....Brexit-on-Sea. Amusement arcades, Bingo, greasy spoon cafes, boozer bars flogging warm beer, Chippy's, bacon butty bars. No self respecting Brexit patriot should ever turn their back on that.

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-eu-coast-insight/in-brexit-on-sea-the-left-behind-still-want-out-idUKKCN1RG0GL

Its not xenophobic to flag up Romanian pickpockets, that's just PC claptrap *-) ..........

I call a spade a spade and an idiot an idiot............You are deffo a Idiot >:-) .........

Its the place to be!!! (If your a Brexiteer) (lol)

skeggy.jpg.d00bb2e6d8b3d8eb8822775661b60268.jpg

pelmetman - 2019-09-03 8:26 AM

Its not xenophobic to flag up Romanian pickpockets, that's just PC claptrap *-) ..........

I call a spade a spade and an idiot an idiot............You are deffo a Idiot >:-) .........

Of course it is......you're forever banging your drum about foreign criminals but never ever, not once, about our own 'home grown' criminality so don't give me that crap about you "call a spade a spade" because you certainly don't. Comparing pickpockets with "killers, rapists and drug traffickers", the latter of which was what you'd originally linked, is utterly insane and the only reason you did was out of sheer desperation after Brian boxed you in.

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2019-09-03 12:10 PM

pelmetman - 2019-09-03 8:26 AM

Of course it is......you're forever banging your drum about foreign criminals but never ever, not once, about our own 'home grown' criminality so don't give me that crap about you "call a spade a spade" because you certainly don't. Comparing pickpockets with "killers, rapists and drug traffickers", the latter of which was what you'd originally linked, is utterly insane and the only reason you did was out of sheer desperation after Brian boxed you in.

So what would you call a person from Romania who picks pockets? :-S ..........

Just askin? :D .........

Barryd999 - 2019-09-03 10:21 AM

A bit of hypocrisy there methinks! 8-)

This from the member who hhas just had an enjoyable extended holiday at Flamborough and Bridlington.

Perhaps that's where remainers go ... hopefully to jump off the cliffs. :D

Guest pelmetman
747 - 2019-09-03 12:25 PM

Barryd999 - 2019-09-03 10:21 AM

A bit of hypocrisy there methinks! 8-)

This from the member who hhas just had an enjoyable extended holiday at Flamborough and Bridlington.

Perhaps that's where remainers go ... hopefully to jump off the cliffs. :D

Maybe he's trying to wipe out Skeggy by causing a Tsunami 8-) ...........

747 - 2019-09-01 7:21 PM

How can we possibly know if the EU has adversely affected us? What do we have to compare it with?

I do know that if there had been talk of a Federal Europe in the past then we would not have joined. Parliament would have blocked entry, there would have been no peoples referendum. Doesn't sound very democratic does it?

Well two things on that. How can you possibly know? I would have thought that if you were being adversely affected, it would have become apparent to you, and why. I know absence of evidence is not evidence of absence, but this still seems a comment born of cognitive dissonance.

By the same token, you cannot, realistically, claim know how people at the time might have reacted had a Federal Europe been spoken of at the time of the 1975 referendum. First you can't know what such talk have been, nor how people at the time may have countered such talk.

This seems, as with present "talk" of a federal Europe, the product of a deep distrust of the instincts of the 450 odd million citizens of those other 27 member countries, who seem to me no more likely to accept federalisation that we Brits.

Do you really think the French, the Germans, the Italians, the Spanish or the Greeks etc. etc. all want to abandon their national identities? That is definitely not an impression I have gained form them. They seem to me very proud of their distinct differences - almost to the point of perversion.

jumpstart - 2019-09-02 7:43 AM

As parliament is dissolved every year ....that doesn’t make sense.

It isn't about the event, it is about the time, and the timing, of the prorogation. If you get caught doing 69 MPH in a 30 MPH area, try telling the judge that 60 MPH is a "perfectly normal" speed, and see what he (presumably :-)) says! :-D This is about context.

jumpstart - 2019-09-02 6:44 PM...………………..

Originally common market which was fine.

Eu net receivers are funded by us.

Don’t care if uk wanted bigger eu ,I don’t.

The strain is sinking it.

Sorry, but I'm still puzzled.

The so-called common market was the European Economic Community. It grew from the formation of the Council of Europe in 1949, which proposed, and then implemented a European Coal and Steel Community under the Treaty of Paris in 1951 (largely as a consequence of the Marshall Plan). This grew to be the EEC in under the 1957 Treaty of Rome. It has been changing and evolving from its outset. What we joined in 1973 was never static, and has continued changing with UK acquiescence even since. It should have been clear at the time of the 1975 referendum that this was the case, as it was clear enough at the time from contemporary press discussions.

EU net receivers are indeed partially funded by the UK, as well as the other net contributors. Presently, 10 countries pay in more than they get back, In order of magnitude, Germany, UK, France, Italy, Netherlands, Sweden, Austria, Denmark, Ireland and Finland. It shouldn't be surprising that the UK is the second largest contributor, and it has the second larges economy in the EU.

Well, that you didn't favour enlargement places us both on the losing side of that argument. I favoured assisting the ex Soviet states to initially form their own pan-national union with a view to merging with the EEC when their economies and democracies had matured. Some you win, some you lose! :-D

As I said previously, I don't see that it is sinking. It is presently stagnating somewhat, but there are enough economically aware people in the EU to reverse that trend - 'though if the whole of the west tips into recession due to Trump's trade war with China, that reversal may be derailed in the short term.

jumpstart - 2019-09-02 7:50 PM

How about I ask you a question Brian. What do you think the Eu is not doing a good job on?

I think it botched the introduction of the Euro, and I think it made a big mistake in introducing Schengen while leaving the control of the Schengen border in the hands of the border states. I also think it has handled the mass migrations from the middle east and north Africa badly. It is a mixed bag, but I see that as inevitable. It is a huge experiment, and although I think the above are its major failings, we are fortunate that UK governments spotted the flaws in the first two and obtained opt-outs from those ventures for the UK. I do not think it is perfect, or even "about right", but I do think we are much better off being on the inside, than on the outside, because if inside we can work with others to improve its faults, while if outside we can only watch passively to see how its next move might affect us.

The term experiment sends shivers. As I have said before it never occurred to me that leave would actually win. I’m not against Europe , my father ,grandparents and ancestors are all French so I am a second generation immigrant. However the biggest mistake Cameron made was to not have the decision as just advisory.

jumpstart - 2019-09-03 6:52 PM

The term experiment sends shivers. As I have said before it never occurred to me that leave would actually win. I’m not against Europe , my father ,grandparents and ancestors are all French so I am a second generation immigrant. However the biggest mistake Cameron made was to not have the decision as just advisory.

J/start....any UK referendum is advisory; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Referendums_in_the_United_Kingdom

The mistake he made was using it to challenge Farage. The mistake Leave campaign made was not having an exit strategy and expecting Cameron to do their 'dirty work' while they all ran off having lit the fuse.

I say it is an experiment because no-one has previously, to my knowledge, tried to meld a number of individual, sovereign, countries into a cohesive, co-operative, economic and political bloc, without resorting to war or invasion.

There was no rule book for how this should be done - it had to be made up from first principles. The rule book was initially made to suit the founding five, which although roughly economically comparable, were hugely different in their historic evolution into nation states, equally so in their political structures, and even more different in their size, both geographic and in terms of populations.

Add to this that there is a long-running schism that lays a fault-line through all the stages of its development to the present time, which is whether to deepen the ties in the direction of federation, or to concentrate on widening membership so as to consolidate its geographical presence. Some, of course, want a mix of both, others less of both.

No countries are now as they were half a century ago: they have all changed politically and economically as events, and ideas, affect their relative economic status and their international political influence. Look a little deeper at the member states of the EU, and you can see the evidence of their routes to becoming nation states.

Germany is a federation of sub-states (the Länder), with most legislation being made at sub-state level, rather like the USA, but with an almost symbolic president.

France is highly regionalised, but with greater power at the centre - thought its president.

Italy has only existed as a unified state since the mid C19, and still shows strong regional differences.

Spain has only recently become a true democracy since 1972, following the death of Franco.

The UK is, I would say, and despite the partial legislative independence of Northern Ireland, Scotland, and Wales, more unified and centralised than any other member state.

The history of Europe is a history of wars defeats and conquests, with countries first gaining and then losing dominance, economically, militarily, and politically. The most recent being the wars following the post Soviet break-up of Yugoslavia.

So which is the more surprising: that those formerly warring countries have managed to co-operate together to build a stable, enduring, confederation, or that the process of fine-tuning that confederation to suit the differing traditions and outlooks of its constituent parts results in continual, but agreed, change? Britain today is not the Britain on 1973, when we joined what was then the EEC so, unsurprisingly, neither is the EU of today the EEC of 1973.

We have to be careful when considering the bright future that the Brexiters claim awaits the UK outside the EU, that our guide is not a by-gone world that can, and never will, be re-created. "Experiment" should not "send shivers" (except shivers of excitement at the possibilities on offer :-)), the future is always an experiment - how can it be otherwise? Courage, mon brave! We are European, our culture is European, our language is European, and IMO, our future lies in Europe, not as a medium sized state physically half moored to, but separated from, Europe. But, that's me! :-D

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2019-09-03 9:26 PM

J/start....any UK referendum is advisory; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Referendums_in_the_United_Kingdom

The mistake he made was using it to challenge Farage. The mistake Leave campaign made was not having an exit strategy and expecting Cameron to do their 'dirty work' while they all ran off having lit the fuse.

Did Cameron say it was just advisory? ;-) ...........

Did May and Corbyn campaign saying they would respect the advisory vote?.........Nope *-) ..........

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2019-09-04 12:14 PM

I say it is an experiment because no-one has previously, to my knowledge, tried to meld a number of individual, sovereign, countries into a cohesive, co-operative, economic and political bloc, without resorting to war or invasion.

There was no rule book for how this should be done - it had to be made up from first principles. The rule book was initially made to suit the founding five, which although roughly economically comparable, were hugely different in their historic evolution into nation states, equally so in their political structures, and even more different in their size, both geographic and in terms of populations.

Add to this that there is a long-running schism that lays a fault-line through all the stages of its development to the present time, which is whether to deepen the ties in the direction of federation, or to concentrate on widening membership so as to consolidate its geographical presence. Some, of course, want a mix of both, others less of both.

No countries are now as they were half a century ago: they have all changed politically and economically as events, and ideas, affect their relative economic status and their international political influence. Look a little deeper at the member states of the EU, and you can see the evidence of their routes to becoming nation states.

Germany is a federation of sub-states (the Länder), with most legislation being made at sub-state level, rather like the USA, but with an almost symbolic president.

France is highly regionalised, but with greater power at the centre - thought its president.

Italy has only existed as a unified state since the mid C19, and still shows strong regional differences.

Spain has only recently become a true democracy since 1972, following the death of Franco.

The UK is, I would say, and despite the partial legislative independence of Northern Ireland, Scotland, and Wales, more unified and centralised than any other member state.

The history of Europe is a history of wars defeats and conquests, with countries first gaining and then losing dominance, economically, militarily, and politically. The most recent being the wars following the post Soviet break-up of Yugoslavia.

So which is the more surprising: that those formerly warring countries have managed to co-operate together to build a stable, enduring, confederation, or that the process of fine-tuning that confederation to suit the differing traditions and outlooks of its constituent parts results in continual, but agreed, change? Britain today is not the Britain on 1973, when we joined what was then the EEC so, unsurprisingly, neither is the EU of today the EEC of 1973.

We have to be careful when considering the bright future that the Brexiters claim awaits the UK outside the EU, that our guide is not a by-gone world that can, and never will, be re-created. "Experiment" should not "send shivers" (except shivers of excitement at the possibilities on offer :-)), the future is always an experiment - how can it be otherwise? Courage, mon brave! We are European, our culture is European, our language is European, and IMO, our future lies in Europe, not as a medium sized state physically half moored to, but separated from, Europe. But, that's me! :-D

The difference is we've have 40+ years experience of the EU experiment >:-) .........and we know it doesn't work *-) .........

pelmetman - 2019-09-04 2:26 PM

Did May and Corbyn campaign saying they would respect the advisory vote?.........Nope *-) ..........

Makes no difference what David Cameron said or didnt say as has been pointed out the referendum was advisory and not binding. Its a pity it wasnt binding as because it was proved by a court that the leave campaign cheated and committed electoral fraud it would have been declared null and void if it had been legally binding.

pelmetman - 2019-09-04 2:26 PM

Isn't it about time you learned to read? It tells you on the damn link i put up FGS! *-)

pelmetman - 2019-09-04 2:30 PM………………………………...

The difference is we've have 40+ years experience of the EU experiment >:-) .........and we know it doesn't work *-) .........

45 years actually :-D and from where I stand, it is working, remarkably well considering the task it had set itself. Can you show me a country with a perfect democratic system anywhere in the world, let alone a system that is a voluntarily adopted confederation of 28 individual nation states? How long has the UK spent tweaking its own version of democracy? It presently seems it still hasn't quite finished with that venture. :-D You demand more of the EU than your own country has achieved in recorded time, which seems to me at the very least unrealistic.

jumpstart - 2019-09-04 3:11 PM

We are not the only country in Europe unhappy with the state fo affairs in the Eu.

Yep, which means those affairs will be changed in due course, with an enhanced chance of that happening if the UK stays in to influence the outcome - though it's powers of persuasion will admittedly have been diminished by the spectacle of our present parliament.

pelmetman - 209-09-04 2:26 PM…………………………...

Did May and Corbyn campaign saying they would respect the advisory vote?.........Nope *-) ........../QUOTE]

In effect he did, because he found it necessary to state that he would implement its outcome. If it had been legally binding, he would not have needed to say that.

That undertaking failed along with his government, on the time honoured basis that no government can bind its successor, so his undertaking had to be repeated by May, since she was a member of the same party as well as having been a minister of the Cameron government.

But that undertaking was Cameron's third, and final, great failure.

Archived