The EU has no ideas at all?

StuartO

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2019-08-22 4:19 PM

Brian Kirby - 2019-08-22 3:55 PM

pelmetman - 2019-08-21 9:27 PM

Brian Kirby - 2019-08-21 7:32 PM

It's all a bit like Simple Simon, isn't it, where the Pie-man (the EU)

Have you found a decent pie in the EU Brian? :-S .........

The only half decent pies I've found were made by Brit butchers working in the sun B-) .......

Pies are a British speciality, Dave, and most of the ones for sale in the UK are a sad reflection of what they should be.

So, why expect to find pies in Europe - though the French do some pretty good stuff "en croute". But, even those aren't proper pies.

You need to adapt your diet to suit the country you're in, not wander around whinging that Johnny Foreigner doesn't make proper English food. Europe is completely wasted on you! :-D

Pelmet only goes to Spain because he knows there are plenty of bacon butty and burger bars and cheap plonk to get drunk. He thinks a Paella is some kind of foreign pie made by a woman called Ella. :-|

I like homemade Pie Ella's too B-) ..........

P1010863.JPG.facefdce9baf2597b102945d55cbb965.JPG

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Birdbrain - 2019-08-22 6:58 PM

Barryd999 - 2019-08-22 2:56 PM

Birdbrain - 2019-08-22 2:03 PM

Doesnt seem to matter how many times its said by our PM that the Government has no intention of enforcing the border it just doesnt seem to get in their thick skulls ... Lordy My

Talking of thick skulls we have been here a hundred times. If the uk wants to trade on WTO rules it will have to enforce a border unless it applies zero tariffs to every single country it trades with which would be economic suicide and why would there be any incentive for anyone to do a trade deal with us if we did that?

Anyway fear not. Boris has told the world today that it's our problem to resolve not the EU's which means the buck now stops with Boris and the Brexiteers as does the blame if they Fcuk it up. You have 30 days boris! Chop chop!

Maybe you need to tell the Irish and WTO about your superior insider knowledge Barry ... https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/wto-says-its-rules-would-not-force-eu-or-uk-to-erect-hard-irish-border-1.3710136

Did you read your own link? It pretty much backs up what I Said. The WTO does not insist on a border but it will intervene if there are unfair tariffs and rules against its members which will inevitably lead to a border being put up and the appropriate tariffs applied to individual WTO member states. The only way to avoid all that is to just apply zero tariffs to all (as I said economic and trade deal suicide). Even if we were daft enough to do that Ireland would be duty bound to put up a border to protect the EU single market. Now of course Brexiteers will adopt the attitude that if Ireland or the EU wants to put up a border thats their problem which just about sums them up really. A border is a border no matter who puts it up and the end result will the same. Goodbye GFA and peace and goodbye any trade deal with the USA.

This is not superior insider knowledge either. We have been saying it for over three years, just like with everything else Brexit the Brexiteers just have their fingers in their ears and have learned nothing, nothing at all.

747 - 2019-08-22 6:44 PM

Barryd999 - 2019-08-22 3:03 PM

747 - 2019-08-21 8:01 PM

Yes Barry, the Government and its Departments are not to be trusted ...

... by the way, did you watch the News?

It seems the Office for National Statistics have made statistical errors. Apparently the number of EU arrivals was underestimated. Oh yes, also the number of arrivals from non EU countries was overestimated.

It would appear that all the figures that Remainers quoted as official Government sources were in fact FAKE NEWS. :D You have been had me lad. 8-)

According to the news at 2pm eu migration to the uk is at an all time low, half of what it was in 2016.

Keep going like we are and nobody will want to come here, that should make a lot of Brexiteers happy until they have no fruit or cabbages or no nurses to look after them, or someone to check them

Into the travel tavern or wipe their arses in the care home which lets face it is where most of you belong.

Barry, the ONS have been caught out with 2 big lies. Firstly massaging the figures down for those lovely EU immigrants (I don't know if they included the estimated 200,000 Roma gypsies) and then massaging the figures upwards for non EU immigrants to scare us into remaining in the EU.

I don't believe a word you say because your information comes from a dubious, politically motivated source.

Is immigration from the EU at its lowest ever level, half of what it was in 2016 or not? Serious question as I only caught that bit on the news yesterday and that is what they announced. Did I imagine the massive drop in application to the NHS as well? Was it 95% or something?

Dubious politically motivated source? (lol) Unlike the constant links to the Brexpress, Torygraph and Mail on here? I source my info always from more than one source and do not go looking for stuff that fits my agenda as whats the point? IT will only get exposed as bollox at some point.

jumpstart - 2019-08-22 5:34 PM...………………..You obviously haven’t tried the pies in the Lochinver Larder. Fantastic. Not sure for how long we will be able to call them British though.

No, nor from lots of other small outlets. I assume you get your by post? Brilliant looking little firm. What I had in mind was more the Fray Bentos type - soggy pastry, little filling, and a lot of "gravy"! British? Och aye - though the curried ones ain't quite traditional either! :-D

Barryd999 - 2019-08-23 9:36 AM

Birdbrain - 2019-08-22 6:58 PM

Barryd999 - 2019-08-22 2:56 PM

Birdbrain - 2019-08-22 2:03 PM

Doesnt seem to matter how many times its said by our PM that the Government has no intention of enforcing the border it just doesnt seem to get in their thick skulls ... Lordy My

Talking of thick skulls we have been here a hundred times. If the uk wants to trade on WTO rules it will have to enforce a border unless it applies zero tariffs to every single country it trades with which would be economic suicide and why would there be any incentive for anyone to do a trade deal with us if we did that?

Anyway fear not. Boris has told the world today that it's our problem to resolve not the EU's which means the buck now stops with Boris and the Brexiteers as does the blame if they Fcuk it up. You have 30 days boris! Chop chop!

Maybe you need to tell the Irish and WTO about your superior insider knowledge Barry ... https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/wto-says-its-rules-would-not-force-eu-or-uk-to-erect-hard-irish-border-1.3710136

Did you read your own link? It pretty much backs up what I Said. The WTO does not insist on a border but it will intervene if there are unfair tariffs and rules against its members which will inevitably lead to a border being put up and the appropriate tariffs applied to individual WTO member states. The only way to avoid all that is to just apply zero tariffs to all (as I said economic and trade deal suicide). Even if we were daft enough to do that Ireland would be duty bound to put up a border to protect the EU single market. Now of course Brexiteers will adopt the attitude that if Ireland or the EU wants to put up a border thats their problem which just about sums them up really. A border is a border no matter who puts it up and the end result will the same. Goodbye GFA and peace and goodbye any trade deal with the USA.

This is not superior insider knowledge either. We have been saying it for over three years, just like with everything else Brexit the Brexiteers just have their fingers in their ears and have learned nothing, nothing at all.

So let me get this straight ... The UK Government says it has absolutely no intention of enforcing a hard border , likewise the Irish Government and now the WTO says it will not force the EU or UK to enforce a hard border but that still is not good enough for ya or more to the point what you want to hear ... Ive asked you before why would the "peace" which has never existed if you knew anything about Ireland since the GFA was signed be gone in your view ???

747 - 2019-08-22 6:44 PM

Barryd999 - 2019-08-22 3:03 PM

747 - 2019-08-21 8:01 PM

Yes Barry, the Government and its Departments are not to be trusted ...

... by the way, did you watch the News?

It seems the Office for National Statistics have made statistical errors. Apparently the number of EU arrivals was underestimated. Oh yes, also the number of arrivals from non EU countries was overestimated.

It would appear that all the figures that Remainers quoted as official Government sources were in fact FAKE NEWS. :D You have been had me lad. 8-)

According to the news at 2pm eu migration to the uk is at an all time low, half of what it was in 2016.

Keep going like we are and nobody will want to come here, that should make a lot of Brexiteers happy until they have no fruit or cabbages or no nurses to look after them, or someone to check them

Into the travel tavern or wipe their arses in the care home which lets face it is where most of you belong.

Barry, the ONS have been caught out with 2 big lies. Firstly massaging the figures down for those lovely EU immigrants (I don't know if they included the estimated 200,000 Roma gypsies) and then massaging the figures upwards for non EU immigrants to scare us into remaining in the EU.

I don't believe a word you say because your information comes from a dubious, politically motivated source.

You haven't read that link I posted above, which explains how the in and out-flows are actually measured, and that the ONS statistics were not originally intended to provide accurate figures.

It is the Government who asked the ONS to compile the data, and decided to accept their information as a basis for its decisions. The ONS is an "arm's length" government agency, itself answerable to the Government Statistics Authority.

This is a case of mission creep, where statistics intended to provide only an order of magnitude insight into inflows and outflows of tourists, became relied upon as far more accurate than the methodology used could ever provide.

It is not a deliberate deceit on any-one's part - though had it been such, the charge of lie would undoubtedly be justified. It is a case of someone wanting figures at a point in time (1961!!), and thereafter for those figures - which amazingly are the only national measure of border comings and goings - having been adopted more widely and relied upon as accurate, when they are not, and were not intended as such. It is a classic cock-up, not a case of lies intended to deceive people about the true nature of those flows.

It is puzzling that governments have chosen to place such reliance on such flaky figures, instead of commissioning something more reliable. After, the methodology dates from 1961 (so well before we even joined the EU, leave alone the two referendums, Syria, and the fall of the Iron Curtain), and was originally intended to give an insight into tourism. You might think that someone, over the ensuing 58 years, might have asked for a better measure, but it seems they didn't!

Still, all you've suffered is the opportunity to be even more indignant than you already are as a result, which is hardly a national catastrophe, is it? :-D

Birdbrain - 2019-08-23 11:50 AM...………………...So let me get this straight ...

1 The UK Government says it has absolutely no intention of enforcing a hard border , likewise the Irish Government and now the WTO says it will not force the EU or UK to enforce a hard border but that still is not good enough for ya or more to the point what you want to hear ...

2 Ive asked you before why would the "peace" which has never existed if you knew anything about Ireland since the GFA was signed be gone in your view ???

1 You haven't noticed the wording, have you? "No intention of" is not the same as "will not", is it? It leaves open the "despite our best intentions, circumstances now dictate that...…." line of argument. That is deliberate ambiguity.

The WTO does not have the legal power to enforce border controls on national governments, but as Barry says, the conduct of cross border trade can allow it to impose sanctions when it judges that the rules are not being followed. In the absence of any workable, alternative, border arrangement, the EU will install border controls on that border. Look at all the other EU land borders with non-EU states if you want to see what that means.

Even were they not to do so, once UK leaves the EU and begins to set its own rules for international trade, the disparities across the border would eventually drive the UK to install border controls to control the movement of goods and people to/from Ireland. Large import-export concerns will use the currently available pre-clearance facilities, but with goods etc being available one side of the border that are not available, or are cheaper, on the other side, people will just get around the intended practice by using un-controlled crossings until they, too, are closed or controlled. After all, there are 260 odd crossings on that border (more than there are on the whole of the EU's eastern border!).

2 Are you serious? Do you remember what was going on during "the troubles"? What makes you think the threat of a re-run has gone away. The powder is still there - all it needs is the flame to ignite it. Fences and border posts will provide that flame. That is what Ireland, the EU, and even the Americans can see. Why do you assume they are all wrong?

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2019-08-23 12:43 PM

Do you remember what was going on during "the troubles"? What makes you think the threat of a re-run has gone away. The powder is still there - all it needs is the flame to ignite it. Fences and border posts will provide that flame. That is what Ireland, the EU, and even the Americans can see. Why do you assume they are all wrong?

Seems to me the only folk trying to fan the flames are you Remoaners *-) ..........

Birdbrain - 2019-08-23 11:50 AM...………………...So let me get this straight ...

1 The UK Government says it has absolutely no intention of enforcing a hard border , likewise the Irish Government and now the WTO says it will not force the EU or UK to enforce a hard border but that still is not good enough for ya or more to the point what you want to hear ...

2 Ive asked you before why would the "peace" which has never existed if you knew anything about Ireland since the GFA was signed be gone in your view ???

1 You haven't noticed the wording, have you? "No intention of" is not the same as "will not", is it? It leaves open the "despite our best intentions, circumstances now dictate that...…." line of argument. That is deliberate ambiguity.

The WTO does not have the legal power to enforce border controls on national governments, but as Barry says, the conduct of cross border trade can allow it to impose sanctions when it judges that the rules are not being followed. In the absence of any workable, alternative, border arrangement, the EU will install border controls on that border. Look at all the other EU land borders with non-EU states if you want to see what that means.

Even were they not to do so, once UK leaves the EU and begins to set its own rules for international trade, the disparities across the border would eventually drive the UK to install border controls to control the movement of goods and people to/from Ireland. Large import-export concerns will use the currently available pre-clearance facilities, but with goods etc being available one side of the border that are not available, or are cheaper, on the other side, people will just get around the intended practice by using un-controlled crossings until they, too, are closed or controlled. After all, there are 260 odd crossings on that border (more than there are on the whole of the EU's eastern border!).

2 Are you serious? Do you remember what was going on during "the troubles"? What makes you think the threat of a re-run has gone away. The powder is still there - all it needs is the flame to ignite it. Fences and border posts will provide that flame. That is what Ireland, the EU, and even the Americans can see. Why do you assume they are all wrong?

Come on Brian ... Of course they wont say for definite it wont happen as who knows whats around the corner ... I seem to remember the EU and EU lovers saying an EU army wouldnt happen and surprise surprise look whats been pushed on us now so it cuts both ways doesnt it ... As for Ireland , border posts dont kill or bomb as far as im aware , they need someone to pull the trigger or detonate the bomb and those who want to find an excuse to kill will use the border and anything else as an excuse to kill ... The killings and beatings have never gone away , maybe you need to read up on whats happened in Northern Ireland in the last few weeks ... Im still none the wiser as to why a border that looks nailed on it isnt going to be a worked border even in a no-deal scenario is going to lead to what you and others tell us will be a full scale return to the 70s/80s , maybe you can explain

jumpstart - 2019-08-23 5:00 PM

I have to agree. There is 46% trade imported from Eu and 54% exported to Eu. There’s a whole world out there.

Not if your a wet whinger ... Outside the 27 the world does not exist ... Lordy imagine being so permanently sad

Guest pelmetman

You mean they're going to start smuggling cheap tobacco and alcohol from Eastern Europe? :-S ..........

Pssst......... if you go to your local dodgy corner shop with a funny name ;-) .........

You can prolly buy some :D .............

P1010899.JPG.904ebdeb8e5ce182db9eee42b54e8f1a.JPG

pelmetman - 2019-08-23 12:59 PM

Do you remember what was going on during "the troubles"? What makes you think the threat of a re-run has gone away. The powder is still there - all it needs is the flame to ignite it. Fences and border posts will provide that flame. That is what Ireland, the EU, and even the Americans can see. Why do you assume they are all wrong?

Seems to me the only folk trying to fan the flames are you Remoaners *-) ..........

This is the same as arguing that the fire brigade lights fires instead of putting them out.

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2019-08-24 6:43 PM

This is the same as arguing that the fire brigade lights fires instead of putting them out.

You're comparing Remoaners to the wrong brigade Brian ;-) ..........

Trying to reignite the "troubles" is a tactic of the....... Loser Brigade *-) ..........

pelmetman - 2019-08-25 9:20 AM

Trying to reignite the "troubles" is a tactic of the....... Loser Brigade *-) ..........

Thats a pretty disgusting moronic thing to come out with even for you. I know people who died and were maimed in that bloody war and it was indeed a war. Your bat sh1t crazy nationalist act of self harm will be the catalyst for this tinder box going up and God knows what else.

Guest pelmetman
Barryd999 - 2019-08-25 9:41 AM

Thats a pretty disgusting moronic thing to come out with even for you. I know people who died and were maimed in that bloody war and it was indeed a war. Your bat sh1t crazy nationalist act of self harm will be the catalyst for this tinder box going up and God knows what else.

What's up Barry? ;-) ...........

Dontcha like your despicable Remoaner tactics being outed? *-) ........

The real IRA has been carrying out attacks ever since the GFA was signed.......Just because you don't read about it when you have your Cocopops in the morning doesn't mean its not still going on :-| ........

No doubt once we leave "you'll" start taking note of them and blame Brexit *-) ........

Tell you whats more disgusting is you using those you claim to know who have died and were maimed in some disgraceful scare story of what might happen Barry ... You have offered nothing to say why Brexit will ignite the troubles again and you use the word war so that war I presume will mean British soldiers again at war in Ireland because of Brexit ... Nows your chance Barry tell why it will ignite the troubles ???

Birdbrain - 2019-08-25 12:57 PM

Tell you whats more disgusting is you using those you claim to know who have died and were maimed in some disgraceful scare story of what might happen Barry ... You have offered nothing to say why Brexit will ignite the troubles again and you use the word war so that war I presume will mean British soldiers again at war in Ireland because of Brexit ... Nows your chance Barry tell why it will ignite the troubles ???

You know feck all, Deaths during the troubles averaged 120 per year, since the GFA 7 per year.

I was talking to a very senior police officer in my patch on Friday night and he confirmed that they were making plans to dispatch police to NI following no deal brexit. I was looking for supporting eveidence but due to your dislike of the liberal media I have had to tarnish my browser history with this link https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1169864/Brexit-news-latest-update-northern-ireland-border-backstop-british-police.

This s**ts real and its coming home ignited by small minded bigots like you, frumster, 737max and pelmethead who don't seem to understand that the rest of the world is looking on amazement at this act of self harm, not just the economics but the threat to peace. Indeed dont forget Trump's trade plan will be blocked by congress if it threatens the GFA so a double whammy there.

Birdbrain - 2019-08-25 12:57 PM

"claimed"? That insinuates I am making it up. I cannot believe that after all this time you do not know why a hard border could lead to a return to the troubles in NI.

The return of a border that was always a flashpoint for those that wanted reunification will once again be another target especially if it ends up being manned with British troops. Its actually written into the GFA that there can be no hard border and our own EU withdrawal act that a hard border cannot and will not be put up as a result. Of course this was easy to implement while we are / were all members of the EU.

Dave is trying to make out that the violence never stopped in the same way he is telling us a recession is coming anyway to make out that when both happen its not Brexits fault but you would have to be mental to believe that. The troubles pre 98 and GFA were appalling and whichever way you try and square it Brexit will likely kick all that off again. Doesnt matter who puts the border up either. It shouldnt happen but of course it will. It wont end at the border either. Trade will be massively disrupted in NI as will their economy which will only add fuel to the fire.

All in the name of something which will only turn out to be the biggest act of self harm in our history.

jumpstart - 2019-08-25 6:22 PM

There doesn’t need to be a hard boarder as many have commented there are various electronic & technical ways to do lt.

Well in that case why don't they agree to the backstop as it will never be needed?

And how do you suggest you stop all these migrants flooding across the ROI / NI border or do you think that passport control should be between NI and the mainland? Are you going to tag the locals?

Archived