Covidiot

Bulletguy

Brian Kirby - 2020-04-08 12:48 PM

Barryd999 - 2020-04-07 10:10 PM........................I wonder if that includes computers though as I was talking to a major UK distributor today as we have had major issues with IT supplies and virtually all of the computers and technology we get here in the UK comes in originally from China but it lands in the Netherlands first before being distributed around Europe and to the UK. The last two orders I had while everything was starting to go tits up were chaotic. First one took over there weeks to get sorted and delivered and the second one 12 days. Normal lead time should have been 2-3 days. Prices for some stuff if you can get it have shot up.

We totally depend on both China and Europe for distribution and of course cost!

Ill happily sell IT kit though at three times the price if its made here, as long as someone will buy it.

Ford re-sited Transit production to Turkey. Dunlop re-sided it tyre production to the far east. IBM (USA) re-sited its Lenovo computer production to (in my case) Hungary, and its European admin functions to Ireland. British car makers laughed and laughed at the funny continental makers for years. Who's laughing now?

It doesn't matter what the name on the product is, when you turn it over, it says made in China (or elsewhere in the far east). My Tosh (Japanese) laptop says Toshiba Europe Gmbh - made in China. The (Toshiba branded) hard drive I replaced with an SSD was made in the Philippines, the (Samsung branded) SSD in Korea. The original 4GB (Samsung branded) memory module was made in China, the two (Kingston (USA) branded) 4GB memory modules I replaced that with in Taiwan. The 4GB memory from the Lenovo desktop was Samsung made in China. The two 4GD Kingston branded module that now replace that also in China.

My main tv and pc monitor are both LG "made in Poland" stamped on the back. The tv is 15 years old now, worked faultlessly throughout and gives an excellent picture. I chose an LG purely after seeing a friends LG tv which to my eye gave good quality image and i wasn't bothered what 'badge' was on the front. Had no regrets on that decision! My pc monitor is also a tv though i never had it hooked up to an aerial as i bought it purely for monitor use. That's about 10 years old. How much of the electrical innards are from China or some other far east country i've no idea.

All my SLR photo stuff was Canon so made in Japan, though most i've sold off since downsizing to a Panasonic pocket cam which are made in China. At the time i bought it, the Canon equivalent was too 'plasticy' (unusual for Canon) for my liking so i went for the metal bodied Panasonic (now 10 years old).

I can't remember a time when UK turned out any "made in UK" tv's or cameras. The technology and capability is there but could we produce at a competitive level? I very much doubt it. Germany also has long been known for it's quality optics, eg Carl Zeiss and Leica, though the majority of those are now made in Japan.

I certainly remember when every car on the road was British and spotting a 'funny foreign' car was a rarity! Now they're commonplace. I also remember when Skoda was the butt of many a joke yet now they're a serious force to be reckoned with turning out top quality cars.

Companies just produce wherever is cheapest: so much clothing is made in appalling conditions in India.

Lot's of branded stuff which sell at high prices in UK high street stores. I don't know what the names of 'budget' clothing stores for women are in UK, but Sports Direct casual wear clothing for men are often made in the far east.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Tracker - 2020-04-08 2:06 PM

I must admit Brian, concentration was wavering, but I managed to read it all - well most of it - and I agree.

How about we (in Western Europe) redevelop our own manufacturing base using lessons learned from far Eastern countries, just as they did from us not so very long ago?

From the local wealth generated within Europe will then be able to help other nations become more self sustaining so that more of the wealth generated in those countries stays in those countries.

Now that would be a constructive role for the EU to lead on.

The brave New World created can be re-named Utopia.

Agreed, but there has to be sufficient economic weight to make it stick. A bit of "if you want to sell to us, this is what you need to do". Similar to the rules for joining the EU. "If you want to join us, this is what you need to do". If the market is large enough and rich enough, people will adapt their practices to gain entry - especially if the opportunities are well publicised within those countries beforehand, so that internal public pressure develops. It's just a way to level up the playing field, by reducing the cost advantage those countries already have, while doing their populations a bit of good.

Corporations would not then be able to hypocritically claim (as they do now) that they pay the going local wage to foreign workers, rather than their equivalent home local wage, so as not to distort the local labour markets in those countries. It's inevitably a lot more complex than that, but with goodwill and our combined resources, the rise in the living standards of third world countries could be accelerated to our advantage (because they would then buy more from us) in much the way that the EU tries to help newer accession states move closer to the EU average by selective infrastructure projects and spreading manufacturing more widely.

Utopia? I doubt it! :-D

Brian Kirby - 2020-04-08 2:49 PM

Bulletguy - 2020-04-08 2:33 PM...............….I can't remember a time when UK turned out any "made in UK" tv's or cameras. ….……………....

Sony have a factory in Wales, at Pencoed.

They don't manufacture tv's there though....just professional broadcast cameras.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/business/business-news/how-sony-built-new-future-6328972

Bulletguy - 2020-04-08 5:57 PM

Brian Kirby - 2020-04-08 2:49 PM

Bulletguy - 2020-04-08 2:33 PM...............….I can't remember a time when UK turned out any "made in UK" tv's or cameras. ….……………....

Sony have a factory in Wales, at Pencoed.

They don't manufacture tv's there though....just professional broadcast cameras.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/business/business-news/how-sony-built-new-future-6328972

Jesus ... Really

Housing Secretary Robert Jenrick MP now under fire after it emerged he had twice made non-emergency trips – despite repeatedly urging the public to stay at home.

First driving 150 miles to his second home in Herefordshire, then also visiting his parents, another 80 mile round trip, to 'drop off medication and groceries'. Whilst other elderly people have had to find ways of coping and sourcing food deliveries, Mr Jenrick seems to think what he's been preaching on government guidelines doesn't apply to him. Obviously he's not familiar with neighbours and U3A.

https://tinyurl.com/u8dw7kg

Tracker - 2020-04-10 3:59 PM

Off with his head!

No.....but he should certainly be sacked as a Cabinet member. What's sauce for the goose etc.....people cannot have 'exemptions' based on their political persuasions which seems to be the case here.

Birdbrain - 2020-04-10 6:01 PM

Seems he was delivering medical supplies for his parents ... Hate on Princess ... Your vile Tory attacks are just that utterly vile ... Glad you aint my Grandpa

Medication can be delivered by post. Also U3A exists in all areas manned by volunteers delivering groceries and/or med supplies for elderly and vulnerable. There are no excuses for Mr Jenricks actions at all.

Bulletguy - 2020-04-10 6:25 PM

Birdbrain - 2020-04-10 6:01 PM

Seems he was delivering medical supplies for his parents ... Hate on Princess ... Your vile Tory attacks are just that utterly vile ... Glad you aint my Grandpa

Medication can be delivered by post. Also U3A exists in all areas manned by volunteers delivering groceries and/or med supplies for elderly and vulnerable. There are no excuses for Mr Jenricks actions at all.

My missus picked up medication for my MIL at the start of the week princess and delivered it to her house so is she wrong for doing so ??? and just how do you in your Tory hating world know just how urgent those medical supplies were or werent and how desperate this fellas parents were in need of the medication ... Truly you are vile , its of no surprise you live an isolated life permanently ... Glad you aint my Grandpa

Tracker - 2020-04-10 7:08 PM

We too have nobody local to collect prescriptions for us but one email to our local (tory) councillor and it arrived same day. Simples.

Great service wether Tory/Labour councillor as thats irrelevant ... Might be nice if the squad could tell us if the service you have had is available to the parents of the fella in question and what medical supplies were passed on ... Without that its just Tory hate ... Regards

When the shutdown began we had a circular from the County Council, as did everyone else in Evesham so I am told, advising us to contact our local councillor, and listing them all, if we nneded anything or any help to be able to remain at home, so I emailed him and got an immediate response which impressed me given the circumstances.

I presume the same preparedness applies everywhere else - and even if it does not our sons in Cheltenham are just as able to use the phone or email to get us help without any need to travel themselves.

Tracker - 2020-04-10 7:34 PM

When the shutdown began we had a circular from the County Council, as did everyone else in Evesham so I am told, advising us to contact our local councillor, and listing them all, if we nneded anything or any help to be able to remain at home, so I emailed him and got an immediate response which impressed me given the circumstances.

I presume the same preparedness applies everywhere else - and even if it does not our sons in Cheltenham are just as able to use the phone or email to get us help without any need to travel themselves.

Just asked my missus who looks after most of MIL needs , to her knowledge her Mum has had no such info ... Someone , somewhere has to deliver medical supplies and up to present no one on here has provided what medical supplies were needed for this fellas parents or the urgency ??? ... Maybe one of you experts could provide that missing info

Tracker - 2020-04-10 7:08 PM

We too have nobody local to collect prescriptions for us but one email to our local (tory) councillor and it arrived same day. Simples.

If in the 'elderly/vulnerable' bracket, town/city/village councils, irrespective of political party, have set up a delivery service though https://www.pharmacy2u.co.uk/ is the way to go if on repeats. Also U3A which exists in all towns/cities provide a service manned by volunteers delivering meds and groceries to the elderly/vulnerable.

I didn't have to email anyone. My GP contacted me about U3A (which i'd never heard of before) and the village council contact numbers.

I don’t think what he was doing was unlawful as there is no obligation on the vulnerable to seek assistance from a particular person. See Regulation 6-

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2020/350/pdfs/uksi_20200350_en.pdf

A bit different from what the CMO for Scotland did. I expect it was rather comforting for his parents to see him, albeit at a distance, and to know that he was looking after them as best he could.

The Institute for Government has already pointed out that ministerial statements about what the lockdown requires of us do not reflect the letter of the law. Some people who should know better (the Chief Constable for Northampton being one) are poorly informed. I am personally relieved that you can buy a loaf of bread and fill the rest of your trolley with as many bottles of wine as you like.

:-D

Violet1956 - 2020-04-10 11:12 PM

I don’t think what he was doing was unlawful as there is no obligation on the vulnerable to seek assistance from a particular person. See Regulation 6-

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2020/350/pdfs/uksi_20200350_en.pdf

A bit different from what the CMO for Scotland did. I expect it was rather comforting for his parents to see him, albeit at a distance, and to know that he was looking after them as best he could.

The Institute for Government has already pointed out that ministerial statements about what the lockdown requires of us do not reflect the letter of the law. Some people who should know better (the Chief Constable for Northampton being one) are poorly informed. I am personally relieved that you can buy a loaf of bread and fill the rest of your trolley with as many bottles of wine as you like.

:-D

Doesnt matter to BG if his journey wasn't unlawful or was an emergency etc ... If he can somehow connect being a Tory to sumat he will , wether as with this an MP who's a Tory , a Tories Dad , A Tories friend , someone who once saw a Tory , Someone who's cousin once voted Tory etc etc ... After me its his other obsession ... Gotta fill his time with sumat

I expect it was rather comforting for his parents to see him, albeit at a distance, and to know that he was looking after them as best he could.

It would be comforting for us too to be able to see our sons and wives and grand children but it is at the minimum against the spirit of the regulations to do so - so we don't.

It is all too easy to make excuses and seek loopholes especially in hastily enacted legislation and personally I think that his actions should result in sanctions, possible loss of job, or a substantial fine in keeping with his income as it is sending the wrong message to the idiot fringe who already consider themselves exempt from the law.

Laws apply to everyone they are not pick and mix.

I think you make some good points Rich however I don’t think that what he did was even against the spirit of the law. The law is aimed at controlling the spread of the virus. From the news reports I’ve read he did not put anyone at risk. Some people have said that the possibility of having a road accident and having to use emergency services that should be concentrating on emergencies due to the virus, other serious illnesses or unavoidable incidents, is one reason not to undertake such journeys. I’m not convinced that he was being reckless on that front. Would need to consult accident statistics to be sure of that. Wishing you and your family happy times ahead when you can all meet up in a grand celebration of your family life.

Sorry Veronica I disagree, the same could be said for our son's driving here to 'deliver' food or medications and we could eassily engineer that but it would be contrary to the spirit of the regulations if not the letter.

We have a recent Lexus, one of the most reliable cars available, so the chances of a breakdown are minimal and driving defensively as I was taught many years ago makes us reasonably safe, idiots excepted, but we do not use the car at all while the lockdown says not to.

One rule for 'us' and another rule for 'them' is it?

Tracker - 2020-04-11 10:21 AM

I expect it was rather comforting for his parents to see him, albeit at a distance, and to know that he was looking after them as best he could.

It would be comforting for us too to be able to see our sons and wives and grand children but it is at the minimum against the spirit of the regulations to do so - so we don't.

It is all too easy to make excuses and seek loopholes especially in hastily enacted legislation and personally I think that his actions should result in sanctions, possible loss of job, or a substantial fine in keeping with his income as it is sending the wrong message to the idiot fringe who already consider themselves exempt from the law.

Laws apply to everyone they are not pick and mix.

I agree with you Richard though would only add my choice of term would be 'rules' as opposed to 'law'. Sorry if that seems a touch pedantic but afaik at the moment thats what it is. Government, of which Mr Jenrick holds a senior cabinet post, made the rules and Mr Jenrick himself has publicly said on televised speeches, "Stay At Home, Save Lives, Protect the NHS". Mr Jenrick did the absolute opposite and as you said his actions, 'sent out the wrong message' in doing so.

Mr Jenricks London property is a fairly substantial family home. His wife and family chose to move to their Herefordshire manor house before the lockdown and he could easily have gone with them at that time without any fuss. Which property he deems his 'primary residence' is a matter of debate as he owns several properties including one in his constituency of Newark, but the 'primary residence' is where government have told everyone else they must stay when stating "stay at home". Most of us of course don't have the choice of several properties but those that do like Mr Jenrick, cannot simply pick and choose on a whim when it suits them, which is to be their 'primary residence' and that's where Jenrick made a bad decision.

MP's can already claim an extra £10,000 to cover costs of working from home and with modern day technology we now have, video conferencing is the way most go. Both his journeys were 'non-essential travel' which government have been very clear on with police actually stopping and turning people back. Any road travel unnecessarily puts lives of others at risk from breakdown services to NHS staff so his actions at best were thoughtless, at worst, selfish. Mr Jenrick exacerbated the issue of driving to his manor house 150 miles away by then doing another 80 mile round trip to deliver medication and groceries to his parents which we all know was totally unnecessary as both are already being provided to elderly and vulnerable from a variety of sources so that was inexcusable.

There are many less fortunate people living in high rise apartment blocks, effectively cooped up living in a box with no more than a window to look out of. No gardens or 500 acres of land for them to freely wander around or sit out in.

Communication between family and friends for us lesser mortals, the vast majority of people now at the very least have a land-line telephone and many have pc's, ipads and smartphones so can Facetime or Skype. I remember when i was in Albania, an Australian couple who parked their motorhome opposite me, used to Skype their family back home in Oz each evening and that was 10 years ago.....tech has moved on a lot since then with excellent webcams at very reasonable prices. I never got into the 'smartphone' thing and prefer webcams, desktop pc, and a decent size monitor screen but am often surprised at the number of elderly folk who use smartphones.

Im confused as to how those condemning know how physically able and physically/mentally fit his parents are and if they depend on him and his family for much of their daily needs the rest of the year ... If we know that and the answer is they dont normally depend on him then we can all jointly condemn the fella but if we dont have that info why the high and mighty attitude towards the fella ... No need for Bullet to answer we know why he condemns

Archived