Cummings investigated by police

Bulletguy

• Replies 814
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Birdbrain - 2020-05-31 6:57 PM

Brian Kirby - 2020-05-31 6:50 PM

StuartO - 2020-05-30 10:04 AM

Brian Kirby - 2020-05-29 6:55 PM.....As to the legality of the journey, I have not claimed it was illegal. I have said it breached the government guidance ..... I understand the Cummings' reaction to their symptoms, and might have acted similarly myself under similar circumstances. As I have also said, IMO, Cummings would have served us all better had he simply pleaded panic and fogged thinking, apologised, and asked for understanding. It is his refusal to accept responsibility for his actions that has caused most of the wasted time and hoohah. It is that which I criticise, as I think careful reading of my posts will reveal.

1 So while he did nothing illegal in your restrospective analysis of his choices, he panicked and was thinking foggily, so he had a duty to everyone to serve them better by apologising for this and asking for understanding and it was his failure to do this that was the cause of the sustained fuss which the press made, including their doorstepping antics, and the outrage which arose among some of the public? So he should resign or be sacked.

2 And I thought he spoke humbly (remarkably so for him, given his psychopath track record) in the Rose Garden, showed no sign of panicky or foggy thinking and explained, patiently and clearly, why he did what he thought was the sensible thing because he was in a corner because of the child. He did his best throughout to avoid infecting anyone and stuck to the rules as far as he could - but he respected that others might think and have done differently and made that clear. The press were however by then clearly on a mission to bring him down regardless and their conduct of that mission was, in my judgement, by far the biggest cause of the polarised public reaction and the damage to the public's commitment to following all the rules.

3 Conflicting subjective opinions - which we are both entitled to form - except that I think that demanding that someone lose his job for failing to apologise to us all based on your idea that his was panicky and foggy thinking seems pretty silly to me. Neither of us can claim to be offering anything more soundly based, despite all your waffle about the regulations.

1 "So he should resign or be sacked." If you say so, Stuart. :-D I don't think I've actually said that. All I've said is that he should have shown contrition for his decision, apologise, and ask for understanding. Why not do that, and defuse the row? But it is far too late now for that. He's dug himself in - when the best advice would have been to stop digging. After all ,this man was reputed to be a grand strategist and judge of the public mood. That's working well presently, isn't it?

2 Yes, but so what? I wasn't talking about post hoc, rose garden, fogginess, but fogginess at the time he decided to go to Durham.

3 As 1, I don't think I have made that demand. Based on my idea? I'm being charitable to him by postulating a benign and understandable excuse for him acting as he did. What I posted was a link to the regulations (as well as another to the government guidance). Read them for yourself and see whether I've got their thrust wrong.

Look, I understand that you don't want Cummings to be devalued. What I don't understand is why you are attaching such importance to one man. He seems to me to be a borderline anarchist, which is a vey odd fit with the Conservative party, of all parties. There must be a few of the Tory old guard who are choking on their corn flakes - or spinning in their graves! What, really, is his appeal?

Maybe Stuart just wants a Government Aide to be treat the same as many Labour MPs who have broken lockdown rules ??? Why are you and the rest of the squad so obsessed with a fella who didn't receive one public vote at the last election ???

Why are you trying to protect an unelected Bureaucrat? I thought you Brexiteers didnt like them.

Barryd999 - 2020-05-31 9:48 PM

Birdbrain - 2020-05-31 6:57 PM

Brian Kirby - 2020-05-31 6:50 PM

StuartO - 2020-05-30 10:04 AM

Brian Kirby - 2020-05-29 6:55 PM.....As to the legality of the journey, I have not claimed it was illegal. I have said it breached the government guidance ..... I understand the Cummings' reaction to their symptoms, and might have acted similarly myself under similar circumstances. As I have also said, IMO, Cummings would have served us all better had he simply pleaded panic and fogged thinking, apologised, and asked for understanding. It is his refusal to accept responsibility for his actions that has caused most of the wasted time and hoohah. It is that which I criticise, as I think careful reading of my posts will reveal.

1 So while he did nothing illegal in your restrospective analysis of his choices, he panicked and was thinking foggily, so he had a duty to everyone to serve them better by apologising for this and asking for understanding and it was his failure to do this that was the cause of the sustained fuss which the press made, including their doorstepping antics, and the outrage which arose among some of the public? So he should resign or be sacked.

2 And I thought he spoke humbly (remarkably so for him, given his psychopath track record) in the Rose Garden, showed no sign of panicky or foggy thinking and explained, patiently and clearly, why he did what he thought was the sensible thing because he was in a corner because of the child. He did his best throughout to avoid infecting anyone and stuck to the rules as far as he could - but he respected that others might think and have done differently and made that clear. The press were however by then clearly on a mission to bring him down regardless and their conduct of that mission was, in my judgement, by far the biggest cause of the polarised public reaction and the damage to the public's commitment to following all the rules.

3 Conflicting subjective opinions - which we are both entitled to form - except that I think that demanding that someone lose his job for failing to apologise to us all based on your idea that his was panicky and foggy thinking seems pretty silly to me. Neither of us can claim to be offering anything more soundly based, despite all your waffle about the regulations.

1 "So he should resign or be sacked." If you say so, Stuart. :-D I don't think I've actually said that. All I've said is that he should have shown contrition for his decision, apologise, and ask for understanding. Why not do that, and defuse the row? But it is far too late now for that. He's dug himself in - when the best advice would have been to stop digging. After all ,this man was reputed to be a grand strategist and judge of the public mood. That's working well presently, isn't it?

2 Yes, but so what? I wasn't talking about post hoc, rose garden, fogginess, but fogginess at the time he decided to go to Durham.

3 As 1, I don't think I have made that demand. Based on my idea? I'm being charitable to him by postulating a benign and understandable excuse for him acting as he did. What I posted was a link to the regulations (as well as another to the government guidance). Read them for yourself and see whether I've got their thrust wrong.

Look, I understand that you don't want Cummings to be devalued. What I don't understand is why you are attaching such importance to one man. He seems to me to be a borderline anarchist, which is a vey odd fit with the Conservative party, of all parties. There must be a few of the Tory old guard who are choking on their corn flakes - or spinning in their graves! What, really, is his appeal?

Maybe Stuart just wants a Government Aide to be treat the same as many Labour MPs who have broken lockdown rules ??? Why are you and the rest of the squad so obsessed with a fella who didn't receive one public vote at the last election ???

Why are you trying to protect an unelected Bureaucrat? I thought you Brexiteers didnt like them.

Im not protecting or defending him ... Just showing the hypocritical hate of the squad

Brian Kirby - 2020-05-31 6:56 PM

only relevant in the narrow sense that they were as guilty as Cummings. But then, you appear to think that Cummings is guilty of nothing, so where does that leave them? Guilty, or not guilty? One law for who, and another for who else? :-D

Well said that man B-)

Guest pelmetman

StuartO - 2020-05-31 2:08 PM

John52 - 2020-05-31 1:04 PM

StuartO - 2020-05-31 10:09 AM

So Robin Lees, the former teacher who spotted DC in Barnards Castle (and subsequently complained to the police about DC) has been discovered to have himself driven 250 miles to collect his daughter to move her from one househiold to another during lockdown. Bit of hypocracy in the teacher's actions it would appear.

And Tim Matthews, the second person who claimed to have seen DC in Durham (claimed to have seen him after April 12th when DC said he went back to London) has owned up to lying - and to altering his record of his running to match his lie - naughty, naughty.

Are we employing them as senior adviser to the PM *-)

No, of course not - but these two were the sources of what became a press persecution of DC and we now know that one was a hypocrit (because he'd done worse himself yet he still complained about DC to the police) and the other has admitted bare-faced lying (and fabricating evidence) when he falsely claimed DC had gone to Durham twice. That's relevant surely?

Only relevant in the narrow sense that they were as guilty as Cummings. But then, you appear to think that Cummings is guilty of nothing, so where does that leave them? Guilty, or not guilty? One law for who, and another for who else? :-D

It's got b*gger all to do with Cummings breaking the rules *-) .........

It's got everything to do with how vindictive You Losers ARE >:-) ........

20 pages of Loser Bile has achieved bog all (lol) (lol) (lol) .........

John52 - 2020-06-01 8:13 AM

only relevant in the narrow sense that they were as guilty as Cummings. But then, you appear to think that Cummings is guilty of nothing, so where does that leave them? Guilty, or not guilty? One law for who, and another for who else? :-D

Well said that man B-)

"As guilty" as Cummings? Guilty requires convincing evidence rather than attitudes and assumptions, which are what he has faced - or alternatively a convincing confession, which Cummings hasn't provided but we do have in the case of the two witnesses who were Cummings accusers. In one case clear evidence of hypocracy and in the other of deliberate falsehood and manipulation of evidence, which he said was "done as a joke". Their misdeeds were directly relevant to this thread because of their impact on the evidence they provided against Cummings, which thereby didn't stand up to scrutiny. Cummings was of course also investigated by the police and considered by them to have maybe committed a minor breach (by driving to Barnards Castle, for which he would have simply been turned round if stopped) and no further action was taken.

I see the Guardian this morning is still commenting on Cummings' journey to Durham as if it was a given that he broke the rules when the Durham police have clearly said he didn't. More interestingly, there is an interview with Beth Rigby which includes her experiience of Cummings'Rose Garden Briefing which is worth reading. As I recall she asked a really vicious and hurtful question yet she seems to remain open minded about his guilt. Journalist have enormous self-confidence but absolutely no moral compass.

Brian Kirby - 2020-05-31 6:50 PM ...... Look, I understand that you don't want Cummings to be devalued. What I don't understand is why you are attaching such importance to one man. He seems to me to be a borderline anarchist, which is a vey odd fit with the Conservative party, of all parties. There must be a few of the Tory old guard who are choking on their corn flakes - or spinning in their graves! What, really, is his appeal?

I think I became his advocate simply because he was being treated unfairly, seemingly primarily because he was seen as a priviledged individual of BoJo's inner circle, especially by press which also seemed to be mounting a vengeful witch hunt - and there didn't seem to be much of a substantial, evidence-based case that he had done anything wrong. As the story emerged it became clearer that he hadn't been pulling any strings at all, he got the phone call from his wife that she was feeling ill and was worried about the situation at a time when the PM was in hospital and he may well have thought there was a serious outbreak going around among his co-workers in 10 Downing St, so in effect he pulled out and gave priority to his family and made the necessary choices. As he put it he had a full tank of fuel so that very evening he just hit the road, not even telling the PM or his Office what he was doing other than self-isolating. He rushed home and drove North straight away, that smame evening, to self-isolate where he and his wife could get family help because they were bothered they might both be ill at the same time. I could identify with the needs of that situation and with his decision.

As for his appeal to me I'm not sure there is any. He's said to be really, really clever, especially with campaigning strategy and tactics, and at the same time very intolerant (of people he sees as fools) and very demanding of others. I don't think I would have liked working anywhere near him. But I believe our Country voted for Boris to end uncertainty and Boris then very quickly and suddenly had to face dealing with a national emergency - which meant having to mount a very rapid learning curve and make some enormously difficult and radical decisions. This was a situation in which the Country needed to pull together and initially BoJo did well at appealing for that. But the press (more than the Labour Opposition) seemed to be itching for an opportunity to criticise and blame rather than to rally round and encourage public support in the national interest - and along came an opportunity to have a go at DC and they really took to it - seemingly without real evidence of wrongdoing, so that's when I started weighing in on here. The Tory-haters on here were grabbing every opportunity to criticise DC and demand his scalp so I set about examining the evidence more objectively and pointing out its flaws.

I suspect that most of the Tory MPs who've declared against DC (apart from the ones who were obviously settling old personal scores) were simply looking after their own interests at the next election because their mailbag was so anti-DC. But BoJo was being loyal and supporting DC, which at face value was a reflection of BoJo supporting his team generally, which seemed to me to be good leadership at this very challenging time. I might be wrong about that of course but that's the way it still seems to me.

Not clear why the two Deputy Chief Medical Officers seem to have spoken critically of DC i the last couple of days, especially Dr Jenny Harries, who was reported as the one who had specifically acknowledged the special needs of childcare potentially preventing people from sticking properly to all the lockdown restrictions - and now she's projecting a much more absolutist interpretation, as did her colleague, Dr Van Tam, before her. Neither have named DC but I suspect they might both regret, as civil servants, sticking their necks out in that way eventually.

Sorry if this is a bit boring or self-indulgent but Brian asked and his request set me thinking - why did I want to support this creepy little man, DC? I wasn't really supporting him so much as supporting what I see as the needs of our Country and I had got really pee'd off with the unsupportive press.

pelmetman - 2020-06-01 12:39 PM

Giggle :D .........

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_next_United_Kingdom_general_election

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8375867/Tory-advantage-Labour-stabilises-Dominic-Cummings-row.html

Time to move on Haters ;-) ........

You've lost again (lol) .......

But but but ... Everyones changed their minds about The Tories ... Boohoo

StuartO - 2020-06-01 12:35 PM

Brian Kirby - 2020-05-31 6:50 PM ...... Look, I understand that you don't want Cummings to be devalued. What I don't understand is why you are attaching such importance to one man. He seems to me to be a borderline anarchist, which is a vey odd fit with the Conservative party, of all parties. There must be a few of the Tory old guard who are choking on their corn flakes - or spinning in their graves! What, really, is his appeal?

As the story emerged it became clearer that he hadn't been pulling any strings at all, he got the phone call from his wife that she was feeling ill and was worried about the situation at a time when the PM was in hospital

Not so Stuart. Johnson was admitted to hospital Sunday 5th April....Cummings left their London home ten days prior to that. As for 'Tory haters' you're picking up on one of Antony's worn out retorts for shutting down discussion and i always thought you were above stooping to that level. Cummings describes himself as "not Tory, libertarian, populist or anything else" and posting established facts as awkward as they may be isn't 'hate'.

Understandably Cummings actions have proved hugely embarrassing and difficult for some Tory stalwarts to deal with, but more so with Johnson acolytes the reasons for which became patently clear very early on.

Birdbrain - 2020-06-01 12:52 PM

All you ever needed to know about teachers ...

... Yuk

What that they are good citizens who report Bond Villain advisors for breaking their own rules and causing chaos in a normally quiet market town putting elderly citizens at risk? According to Robin Lees he made that journey after the rules of limited travel were lifted. He didnt go for a jolly day out during lock down putting people and his family at risk and then lie to the nation about some crap about dodgy eyesight. Come on, give it up. The disruption and knock on effect Cummings has caused is unforgivable. How he is still in post is totally beyond me. The untouchables it seems.

Barryd999 - 2020-06-01 5:42 PM

How he is still in post is totally beyond me.

Good question.

The most charitable thing I can think of is BoJo needs his spin doctor and enforcer to get himself elected.

Either that or he has so much filth on BoJo & Cronies they daren't sack him ?

... Yuk

What that they are good citizens who report Bond Villain advisors for breaking their own rules and causing chaos in a normally quiet market town putting elderly citizens at risk? According to Robin Lees he made that journey after the rules of limited travel were lifted. He didnt go for a jolly day out during lock down putting people and his family at risk and then lie to the nation about some crap about dodgy eyesight. Come on, give it up. The disruption and knock on effect Cummings has caused is unforgivable. How he is still in post is totally beyond me. The untouchables it seems.

Princess shouldn't that read "How he and others are still in post is totally beyond me" ???

John52 - 2020-06-01 7:38 PM

It never ends

Now BoJo is trying to shift the blame for Cummings sacking of Sonia Khan away from Cummings >:-(

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/jun/01/government-fails-to-distance-dominic-cummings-from-sex-discrimination-case-boris-johnson

I have never seen anything like this before

This is the profile of an aide holding his leader to ransom >:-)

Princess do your homework before spouting your hate work ... Its standard Government practise to ask for the employing department to be named as respondent rather than individual employees ... Hate on

Birdbrain - 2020-06-01 7:47 PM

It never ends

Now BoJo is trying to shift the blame for Cummings sacking of Sonia Khan away from Cummings >:-(

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/jun/01/government-fails-to-distance-dominic-cummings-from-sex-discrimination-case-boris-johnson

Princess do your homework before spouting your hate work ... Its standard Government practise to ask for the employing department to be named as respondent rather than individual employees ... Hate on

Its become standard practice where Cummings is concerned.

But everywhere else I have seen the boss takes responsibility for his own actions.

John52 - 2020-06-01 7:58 PM

It never ends

But everywhere else I have seen the boss takes responsibility for his own actions.

Not Johnson, he's always shirked responsibilities in both work and private life. He's "boss" by title only and does as he's told by Cummings whose running this sh1t show. Khan was Javids spad who was furious when he found Cummings had not only sacked her, but had her escorted from the office by armed police. Cabinet ministers used to appoint their own spads....then Cummings blocked that and insisted they all report to him. Johnson did nothing.

Guest rael
Birdbrain - 2020-06-01 1:52 PM

... Yuk

Yea, all of them the same, smug two faced idiots, every last one of them, NO exceptions. Trots, all of em, spouting their commie garbage. I say close the schools permanently, that'll show em, with their 40 weeks holidays a year, good riddance. And another thing.....

Birdbrain - 2020-06-01 7:23 PM

... Yuk

Princess shouldn't that read "How he and others are still in post is totally beyond me" ???

Well yes. Any MP Who broke the lock down rules without good reason should be out on their ear. Cummings is far worse than some others though as its just been one pack of lies after another coupled with total arrogance and of course backed up by Johnson which shows just how much he thinks about us plebs.

John52 - 2020-06-01 7:58 PM

It never ends

But but but ...

Barryd999 - 2020-06-01 10:43 PM

... Yuk

Well yes. Any MP Who broke the lock down rules without good reason should be out on their ear. Cummings is far worse than some others though as its just been one pack of lies after another coupled with total arrogance and of course backed up by Johnson which shows just how much he thinks about us plebs.

"Cummings is far worse than some others though" ... I'd expect nothing less ... Lets be totally honest doesnt matter to you how many other MPs were to be found breaking lockdown rules Mr Cummings would always be "far worse" ... Hate on

Birdbrain - 2020-06-02 6:13 AM

... Yuk

"Cummings is far worse than some others though" ... I'd expect nothing less ... Lets be totally honest doesnt matter to you how many other MPs were to be found breaking lockdown rules Mr Cummings would always be "far worse" ... Hate on

Have any of the others tried to lie to the nation on national TV, not apologised and has the Prime Minister backed up their lies taking us all for fools? Cummings catalogue of rule breaking as pointed out by Piers Morgan is far worse than anything the likes of Kinnock or some Labour MP who moved her lover in have done and its been supported by our crooked PM. Piers is right, the morons are now using his actions as an excuse to break the rules themselves.

Guest pelmetman
Barryd999 - 2020-06-02 7:53 AM

Birdbrain - 2020-06-02 6:13 AM

... Yuk

Have any of the others tried to lie to the nation on national TV, not apologised and has the Prime Minister backed up their lies taking us all for fools? Cummings catalogue of rule breaking as pointed out by Piers Morgan is far worse than anything the likes of Kinnock or some Labour MP who moved her lover in have done and its been supported by our crooked PM. Piers is right, the morons are now using his actions as an excuse to break the rules themselves.

Wrong ............Cummings explained why he did what he did ;-) .........

YOU HATERS just spin it as him lying, but then again you Losers always did *-) ..........

Gobsh*te Piers is also wrong...... morons dont need an excuse to be a moron :-| ........

Archived