Lewis Hamilton gets Political

StuartO

Birdbrain - 2020-06-04 6:36 PM

Birdbrain - 2020-06-04 5:46 PM

Birdbrain - 2020-06-04 6:51 AM

Birdbrain - 2020-06-03 7:04 PM

Bulletguy - 2020-06-03 6:58 PM

StuartO - 2020-06-03 1:15 PM

Bulletguy - 2020-06-01 8:19 PM I don't think Hamilton needs 'shame' anyone into supporting as there's a lot being shown including footballers as this case is very disturbing. All racism should be stamped out but when they have a racist in the WH, what else do people expect? Having seen the brutal slow murder of George Floyd the outrage doesn't surprise me at all. Not satisfied with murdering a citizen the police also used their patrol cars to ram into people and mow them down, even shooting at journalists fgs.

My point was should Lewis be using his celebrity prominence to try to shame other celebrities (etc) into voicing support for his cause?

I agree that racism should be stamped out everywhere but one of the problems in trying to do so is the difficulty of agreeing what is and isn't racism - because there is such apparent over-sensitivity about it sometimes, not just reasonable expression of concern. I'm not suggesting it's just blacks (or should I be saying "people of colour" this week) who are too sensitive, quite the opposite almost; political correctness has led all sorts of individuals to feel entitled to get aroused or angry or worse about racism and to disapprove or even attack people they see as racists. It's just such a touchy subject you can't really risk discussing it lest someone starts snapping at you. As perhaps at me on this thread.

And don't we have to be careful about jumping to conclusions, for example your conclusion that George Floyd was the victim of brutal slow murder? Guilty unless proved inocent is it, because you've watched the video? Did we miss out the bit about having a fair trail before the mob gets to lynch him? I wouldn't want to be defending the policeman but George Floyd was an offender who had done time in prison, a big man who was being arrested for passing a forged note, so maybe the policeman would have needed to restrain him even after getting him handcuffed. Was Mr Floyd continuing to struggle whilst being restrained? Where is the evidence of mens rea, i.e. the intention to kill Mr Floyd? Clearly the policeman faces challenging questions about his method and his intent because Mr Floyd did die but at least he should get a fair hearing. The other policemen who were nearby but didn't intervene (one of whom was black) also have been summarily sacked and face charges - are they guilty until proved innocent too, because you've seen the video?

Yes i know what your point was though as i said i didn't think he needed 'shame' anyone into supporting as there's understandably been a huge amount shown and rightly so imo. Perhaps given his prominent status as an F1 driver known worldwide, some may not like him speaking out, i don't know. Should he have done? Why not? If some think his words were harsh or hasty they should remember he's not a politician or public speaker.

My reference to seeing the brutal slow murder of George Floyd was not being surprised at the public outrage....not ignoring due process of which i've always supported (after all it is how the law works, or supposed to!) in exactly the same way i cannot ever condone lynch mob mentality or any kind of inflammatory rhetoric. Similarly with the looting and rioting, i cannot support that and fwiw neither do Floyds family and BLM leaders who have spoken out against it calling for peaceful protesting. White citizens out on the streets dressed up in full combat gear, body armour and wielding military grade weaponry is just antagonising the situation.

I saw the full video of Floyds arrest which was taken off cctv. He was stopped at the roadside by a patrol car and exited his car (driver side) where he was cuffed. The officer then took him over to the pavement where he was told to sit down which he did. Other police cars then arrived and Floyd was brought to his feet. At no point from arrest by his car was their any resistance whatsoever.....not even a big bloke can do much with hands cuffed behind their back but there was nothing physical at all at that point. They then disappeared off camera as they walked him around the back of the patrol car and the next point the cctv picked up on was when he was on the opposite side of the car on the ground with the one officer kneeling on him, one knee on his back, the other across his neck...that casual the officer even had his hands in his pockets. By this point bystanders had gathered and Floyd kept saying he couldn't breathe. Some of the bystanders can be heard shouting "you're killing him" but the officer ignored them and kept his knee across his neck. I know Floyd had previous but this arrest was over a fake $20 note, hardly the most heinous of crimes and certainly not warranting kneeling on the guys neck when he's already restrained in handcuffs fgs!

We know the outcome and the autopsy states cause of death as ""cardiopulmonary arrest complicating law enforcement subdual, restraint, and neck compression", in other words asphyxiation and declared homicide. The officer, Derek Chauvin, has been charged with third-degree murder and manslaughter and will appear in court next week. The three other police officers have been fired.

Racism in the US has a long history....and it's very bad. Think back to times of segregation in the 50s and 60s, Martin Luther King and Rosa Parks. I like to believe it's improved since and in some ways it has though they had to fight like hell for desegregation, helped by many outspoken white people it should be said who railed against the ugliness of racism. People like Pete Seeger who devoted his entire life as a professional musician campaigning for the civil rights movement.

Trumps inflammatory tweeting doesn't help matters and i do wonder if any ever realised or knew the origins of "when the looting starts the shooting starts" he tweeted on Friday? That exact quote was used by a Miami police chief back in the 60's, known for his history of racist bigotry against blacks. Why would anyone, least of all a 'politician' choose to quote a racist bigot......unless they themselves are exactly that?

Cool youve watched the full CCTV ... Where and at what point was the racism ???

Managed to look through it yet ???

3rd time of asking ... You managed to check up on the racist bit yet

Nudge

Anything ??? ... Nothing ??? ... Just all guff and hot air ??? ... Yep

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dont remember seeing any demonstrations and protests ... Dont remember celebrities going all loco ... Dont remember POTUS Trump getting it from the wets ... Dont remember cops being killed in his name ... Dont remember much about it all , yet it was exactly the same ... https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/aug/02/dallas-police-officers-video-bodycam-tony-timpa ... Well the same other than one little thing , he was white ... Seems folk only seem to care when its blacks , how very racist

Is it true George Floyd had a criminal record for robbery and threatening a pregnant woman with a gun , holding the gun to her stomach ??? ... Had a criminal record for drug offences ??? ... It seems strange to me the US and other places have been overcome with criminals out supposedly protesting the death of a fella with that type of record yet stay silent about the brave Police officers and shop owners murdered and assaulted over the last week or so ... Strange

Birdbrain - 2020-06-05 7:07 AM

Is it true George Floyd had a criminal record for robbery and threatening a pregnant woman with a gun , holding the gun to her stomach ??? ... Had a criminal record for drug offences ??? ... It seems strange to me the US and other places have been overcome with criminals out supposedly protesting the death of a fella with that type of record yet stay silent about the brave Police officers and shop owners murdered and assaulted over the last week or so ... Strange

I've heard that too and the arresting officer may well have known he was dealing with a previous serious offender - he is said to have pulled his gun to make the arrest and get the handcuffs on, which might have been standard procedure because of the risks police officers face in situations like that. But after that point things do appear to have gone seriously wrong and Floyd died under restraint and there is therefore a case for the officer and his colleagues to answer - to which there may be a defence, so we need to wait and see. I still haven't heard any evidence which makes the police actions appear to be racially motivated and the four policemen present were a mixed ethnic bunch, but of course racist motivation remains a possibility that will emerge.

The demonstrators seem however to have decided already that this was a racially motivated murder of a gentle giant who was a wonderful father etc. It is noteworthy that his ex-partner, the mother of his young daughter, was giving an emotional performance in front of the cameras while the daughter, clearly looking puzzled and anxious, was also being put on display. Not very edifying from the viewpoint of we unemotional Englishmen but it is sometimes said that Afro-Americans, as other black people, have a lower threshold for emotional reaction and who are we to criticise that if it's "cultural".?

In the context of the history of police abuse (including killings) of black suspects, sometimes with surprising acquittals of the white killers in the USA, people jumping to racist conclusions in situations like this is not surprising. Based on the information coming to him at that early stage I would not criticise Lewis for getting angry and sounding off - it's just his sense of entitlement to demand support from other in F1 who may not feel so directly affected which I take issue with.

Here's a link to a study on deaths due to use of lethal force by Law Enforcement agencies in the US between 2009 and 2012. It's a complicated picture but the research perhaps indicates why there is a fear in the US that you are more likely to die in an encounter with law enforcement agents if you are black whether or not you posed a threat of using force yourself.

This is just an extract and it is worth reading the whole study if you have the time.

"The current study found that, consistent with prior research [footnote] black victims were substantially over-represented relative to the U.S. population, comprising 34% of victims but only 13% of Americans,36,56 and with legal intervention death rates 2.8 times higher than those among whites. Black victims were also more likely to be unarmed than whites or Hispanics, and less likely than whites to have evidence suggesting an immediate threat to LE. Incidents involving black and Hispanic victims were more likely to involve at least one black LE officer, potentially because of greater racial diversity in police departments located in areas with larger minority populations.

It has been suggested elsewhere [footnote] that higher rates of deaths due to lethal force against blacks may be accounted for by differences in the frequency of police contact. Recent national data identified few differences between blacks and whites in the frequency of most forms of police contact, including requests for police assistance, reporting of crime or neighborhood disturbances, and involuntary street stops.[footnote] However, data from the U.S. Department of Justice [footnote] found that black and Hispanic drivers were more likely than whites to be pulled over and searched or ticketed during a traffic stop. Blacks also experience disproportionately higher rates of arrest than whites; in 2011, 69.2% of all arrested individuals in the U.S. were white and 28.4% were black.[footnote] Further, although force was employed in fewer than 4% of contacts for all racial/ethnic groups in 2008, blacks were nearly three times more likely than whites to experience any use of force during an LE encounter.[footnote]. Similarly, a recent study [footnote] using FBI arrest and NVSS injury data found higher arrest/stop rates and higher rates of legal intervention deaths among blacks than whites. However, the authors found no differences in rates of injury or death per 10,000 stops/arrests by race—that is, blacks and whites were equally likely to be injured or killed during a stop/arrest incident. These findings—from one study—suggest that disparities in fatality rates by race may be accounted for, in part, by differential rates of police contact through stops or arrests. [footenote] More research is needed to examine this important research question with clear implications for policy and practice."

Veronica

[edited to take out references to footnotes]

It's very difficult to discuss racism because of the sensitivities around the subject and as a white male of mature years I feel inhibited about doing so in the same way I don't feel able to reach out to help and comfort a child who has fallen in the street if I'm on my own lest I'm promptly accused of being a pervert when the anxious parent appears, merely for holding their child. I don't usually want to upset people when I'm trying to have a discussion with them.

I certainly can't express an opinion that the fundamental reason for blacks mainly being unemployed or employed only in low paid work is that their average aptitude for a full range of gainful employment in a modern society is much lower than other ethnic groups - but I can say that some blacks are exceptionally bright, much brighter than average whites and some blacks are exceptionally successful in life. Political correctness suppresses the circulation of factual knowledge and objective assessment as well as opinion.

I do of course believe that black lives matter.

Guest pelmetman
StuartO - 2020-06-05 9:42 AM

Political correctness suppresses the circulation of factual knowledge and objective assessment as well as opinion.

Hear hear ;-) ..........

pelmetman - 2020-06-05 9:49 AM

Political correctness suppresses the circulation of factual knowledge and objective assessment as well as opinion.

Hear hear ;-) ..........

Isn't it supposed to be "Here, here!", as in I agree with you from over here? I merely ask, it's always puzzled me. :-D

It's very difficult to discuss racism because of the sensitivities around the subject and as a white male of mature years I feel inhibited about doing so in the same way I don't feel able to reach out to help and comfort a child who has fallen in the street if I'm on my own lest I'm promptly accused of being a pervert when the anxious parent appears, merely for holding their child. I don't usually want to upset people when I'm trying to have a discussion with them.

I certainly can't express an opinion that the fundamental reason for blacks mainly being unemployed or employed only in low paid work is that their average aptitude for a full range of gainful employment in a modern society is much lower than other ethnic groups - but I can say that some blacks are exceptionally bright, much brighter than average whites and some blacks are exceptionally successful in life. Political correctness suppresses the circulation of factual knowledge and objective assessment as well as opinion.

It’s the age-old problem is it not Stuart? Correlation does not necessarily imply causation. I think the study that I posted a link to is careful to recognise that. Nevertheless, the statistics regarding the number of deaths of black people appear disproportionate when compared with others. That alone feeds the perception, which may or may not be justified, that even if you are a law-abiding citizen in America your skin colour makes you more vulnerable to the excessive use of force on the part of law enforcement agencies with whom you may come into contact.

I went to S Africa in 1973, when aparthied was still in full swing and one of the most striking impressions I got was that everyone, whites and blacks, seemed to go in fear of the police, who were seen as a brutal force by everyone.

There is another video clip circulating today of large squad of police in New York, dressed for riot control, one of whom violently brushed aside an elderly man who stood in their way and spoke to them. Presumbaly there is a "no truck" mindset which can develop if you are part of a squad like when you are ordered to advance as a squad, as it looked like this one was. The old man was quite seriously injured (he went down backwards like a felled tree and hit his head) and was taken to hospital.

I think we're quite lucky to have our 'by consent' police here in UK overall, although of course there are bad apples and there is the notorious "canteen culture" of closing ranks. Our police forces have also seemed to be "institutionally racist" in the past. And we've got problems with BAME people (and others) who seem to be deliberately seeking to make trouble.

Violet1956 - 2020-06-05 1:12 PM

It’s the age-old problem is it not Stuart? Correlation does not necessarily imply causation. I think the study that I posted a link to is careful to recognise that. Nevertheless, the statistics regarding the number of deaths of black people appear disproportionate when compared with others. That alone feeds the perception, which may or may not be justified, that even if you are a law-abiding citizen in America your skin colour makes you more vulnerable to the excessive use of force on the part of law enforcement agencies with whom you may come into contact.

Would it be so racist of me to state a fact that blacks commit crime much more than whites in the US and maybe law enforcement agencies who have the unenviable task of arresting those committing most crimes have a pretty tough time dealing with some of them ... I know from my SIL what he has to deal with never mind what American police have to deal with where guns are a way of life ... Try walking in an American cops shoes

Where is the evidence to support your statement that blacks commit more crime in the US than anyone else? Even if that is the case, who decides what behaviour amounts to a crime and what crimes are more serious than others?

Taking the life of someone else is clearly more serious than any other crime in my book. Hustling for a few pounds/dollars by passing off a dud bank note is bad but not so bad as to defraud the tax man of millions of dollars, not that either behaviour excuses what amounts to a lynching.

Violet1956 - 2020-06-05 5:53 PM

Where is the evidence to support your statement that blacks commit more crime in the US than anyone else? Even if that is the case, who decides what behaviour amounts to a crime and what crimes are more serious than others?

Taking the life of someone else is clearly more serious than any other crime in my book. Hustling for a few pounds/dollars by passing off a dud bank note is bad but not so bad as to defraud the tax man of millions of dollars, not that either behaviour excuses what amounts to a lynching.

Dont be silly ... It takes seconds to fact check that blacks compared to their percentage of the US population are massively over represented in US prisons and a crime is a crime ... Unless of course it doesnt suit your agenda to say so , as for a "lynching" who exactly are you talking about ???

Birdbrain - 2020-06-05 6:03 PM

Dont be silly ... It takes seconds to fact check that blacks compared to their percentage of the US population are massively over represented in US prisons and a crime is a crime ... Unless of course it doesnt suit your agenda to say so , as for a "lynching" who exactly are you talking about ???

Just give us the evidence Antony. When you have it think carefully about who decides what is or is not a crime, who decides how serious such crimes are and whether the systems of investigation and punishment truly reflect how damaging those crimes are.

Violet1956 - 2020-06-05 6:36 PM

Birdbrain - 2020-06-05 6:03 PM

Just give us the evidence Antony. When you have it think carefully about who decides what is or is not a crime, who decides how serious such crimes are and whether the systems of investigation and punishment truly reflect how damaging those crimes are.

Skip most of it by jumping to 'Ethnicity' if your busy preparing hubbies meal ... Your quite correct about wondering if the punishment reflects the crime ... Mr Floyd spent 5 years in the slammer for assault and robbery , he robbed and threatened a pregnant woman , holding the gun to her stomach ... As part of a plea bargain he received a reduced sentence !!! ... Before that he had convictions for firearms and drugs offences ... So to answer your question he got off very lightly with 5 years dont you think ??? ... You didn't answer who you were talking about with regards to your "lynching" line ??? , who d'ya mean bro ???

Violet1956 - 2020-06-05 1:12 PM

Unfortunately the link wasn't on your post Veronica! There are a number of similar reports including this which was submitted to the UN; https://www.sentencingproject.org/publications/un-report-on-racial-disparities/

StuartO - 2020-06-05 2:12 PM

I went to S Africa in 1973, when aparthied was still in full swing and one of the most striking impressions I got was that everyone, whites and blacks, seemed to go in fear of the police, who were seen as a brutal force by everyone.

Hardly surprising given SA was under a regime of pro-apartheid with Vorster and his white minority government along with Kruger dishing out "justice" though the only SA whites who would be in fear were the few, very few, that dared to speak out against apartheid (more of that in a bit). Vorster was anti-British and opposed SA joining the allies in ww2 as he hoped for a Nazi victory and personally dedicated to following Ossewabrandwag, a pro-German organisation in SA during the war.

Vorster and Kruger had the blood of SA blacks on their hands. Remember Soweto and the murder of Steve Biko whilst under police custody? Donald Woods, white SA born editor of a SA newspaper, initially unconvinced or doubting (choose which you prefer) about the rise of apartheid eventually began to listen after going to hear Biko speak and Woods published articles in his newspaper. Woods and his family were put under police surveillance and eventually him and his family had to flee SA.

https://www.sahistory.org.za/people/donald-james-woods

There is another video clip circulating today of large squad of police in New York, dressed for riot control, one of whom violently brushed aside an elderly man who stood in their way and spoke to them. Presumbaly there is a "no truck" mindset which can develop if you are part of a squad like when you are ordered to advance as a squad, as it looked like this one was. The old man was quite seriously injured (he went down backwards like a felled tree and hit his head) and was taken to hospital.

I think we're quite lucky to have our 'by consent' police here in UK overall, although of course there are bad apples and there is the notorious "canteen culture" of closing ranks. Our police forces have also seemed to be "institutionally racist" in the past. And we've got problems with BAME people (and others) who seem to be deliberately seeking to make trouble.

IMO there is a chasm of difference between US and UK police and by that i don't mean guns because it's much more than that. The entire psyche is totally different. I remember watching a police documentary showing US police chasing a stolen car. Eventually they got the car stopped, dragged the driver out, then repeatedly kicked him as he's laying motionless on the ground. That's NOT policing.....it's base thuggery!

The casual racism posted by deranged Anthony aka birds**te is staggering is your sil

Aware of the hatred you spew out on a daily basis does he agree with your blinkered vision

Is he aware of your double life you truly are a vile individual.....

soarer - 2020-06-05 11:18 PM

The casual racism posted by deranged Anthony aka birds**te is staggering is your sil

Aware of the hatred you spew out on a daily basis does he agree with your blinkered vision

"racism , deranged , s**te , hatred , spew , blinkered , vile" ... Und I'm the one with a problem ??? ... As usual the response of a squad member is to do do what squad members do , scream "racism" and hurl other insults in an attempt to shut down a view they dont like ... How very Chatterbox

Guest pelmetman
StuartO - 2020-06-05 9:51 AM

pelmetman - 2020-06-05 9:49 AM

Hear hear ;-) ..........

Isn't it supposed to be "Here, here!", as in I agree with you from over here? I merely ask, it's always puzzled me. :-D

https://www.grammarly.com/blog/here-here-vs-hear-hear/

Here, Here or Hear, Hear?

If you want to voice your agreement with someone during a debate (especially if you’re a member of the UK Parliament), you will shout “hear, hear.” But as long as you’re shouting, no one will notice you’re wrong if you shout “here, here” because the words are pronounced the same.

;-) .........

Birdbrain - 2020-06-06 6:42 AM

soarer - 2020-06-05 11:18 PM

"racism , deranged , s**te , hatred , spew , blinkered , vile" ... Und I'm the one with a problem ??? ... As usual the response of a squad member is to do do what squad members do , scream "racism" and hurl other insults in an attempt to shut down a view they dont like ... How very Chatterbox

Its true about your double life to be fair though. Attic?, Skype Channel? Grindr?, Swarfega? Just sayin. Just be your true self, let it all out!

pelmetman - 2020-06-06 8:47 AM

StuartO - 2020-06-05 9:51 AM

https://www.grammarly.com/blog/here-here-vs-hear-hear/

Here, Here or Hear, Hear?

If you want to voice your agreement with someone during a debate (especially if you’re a member of the UK Parliament), you will shout “hear, hear.” But as long as you’re shouting, no one will notice you’re wrong if you shout “here, here” because the words are pronounced the same. ;-) .........

You are absolutely right.

Hear, hear (usually with a comma and set apart as a self-contained sentence) is the conventional spelling of the colloquial exclamation used to express approval for a speaker or sentiment. It’s essentially short for hear him, hear him or hear this, hear this, where these phrases are a sort of cheer.

Here, here is widely regarded as a misspelling, although it is a common one, and there are ways to logically justify its use. But for what it’s worth, hear, hear is the original form (the Oxford English Dictionary cites examples going back to the 17th century) and is the one listed in dictionaries. English reference books mention here, here only to note that it’s wrong.

We live and never stop learning.

Birdbrain - 2020-06-06 10:12 AM

Kinda says it all "All lives dont matter , black lives matter" ...

... Presume none of the squad can see the racism in that claim ???

I'd like to thnk that the (presumably black) girl who was shouting that at UK police only meant that black lives are more urgently in need of protecting than other lives in the context of the killing of George Floyd in the USA as the latest in a long sequence of white-on-black racist killings. Otherwise we really are heading in the direction of inter-racial civil war.

I don't suppose she's the sharpest chisel in the box but she's not going to be the only one who looks at things that way and can't see in what she's shouting the implications for the future of all of us.

Birdbrain - 2020-06-06 10:12 AM

Kinda says it all "All lives dont matter , black lives matter" ...

... Presume none of the squad can see the racism in that claim ???

I think the point is or at least the point she is trying to make is to many Black lives matter less.

Archived