Lewis Hamilton gets Political

StuartO

Another police arrest video has emerged showing a violent arrest by an Australian policeman of an aborigine teenager. I've seen the clip but I can't find it again to provide a link, I'm sorry.

The interesting thing this time is that the policeman is merely standing his ground and the teenage is giving him a lot of lip - in the course of which he clearly threatens the policeman with violence. The policeman promptly walk over to him, spins him around to cuff him and then sweeps his legs from under him to drop him face down on the pavement. It was a prompt hard stop and put-down and the policeman didn't attempt to be gentle with him but the teenager had been dushing out insults and then a clear threat.

But it was on video and the arrested person was an indiginous person, so the policeman's actions have been questioned. I think he might even have been suspended.

But it turns out that the "leg sweep" is a put-down technique which Sidney police are taught to use, and it clearly a very effective way to take some down to get him (or her I suppose) into restraint. Given the threat the suspect made, it was not unreasonable to arrest him - but was excessive force used?

I would say not; if a policeman is threatened and on his own, he probably does need to get control very quickly and firmly. It matters not that the suspect is an aborigine; he shouldn't threaten a policeman.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Barryd999 - 2020-06-06 11:21 AM

Birdbrain - 2020-06-06 10:12 AM

Kinda says it all "All lives dont matter , black lives matter" ...

... Presume none of the squad can see the racism in that claim ???

I think the point is or at least the point she is trying to make is to many Black lives matter less.

That's not what she said of course, stupid girl.

I think the point is or at least the point she is trying to make is to many Black lives matter less.

You "think" she's not really meaning all lives dont matter , just black lives ??? Though thats what she says quite clearly , wheres the confusion ??? Thats Barry World for ya I suppose ... Who are the "many" by the way ???

Birdbrain - 2020-06-06 12:57 PM

You "think" she's not really meaning all lives dont matter , just black lives ??? Though thats what she says quite clearly , wheres the confusion ??? Thats Barry World for ya I suppose ... Who are the "many" by the way ???

No I dont think she meant that at all, just said in the heat of a protest and leaped upon by those that simply want to continue the fight rather than just accepting there is a real issue of inequality and inherent racism.

StuartO - 2020-06-06 12:33 PM

Another police arrest video has emerged showing a violent arrest by an Australian policeman of an aborigine teenager. I've seen the clip but I can't find it again to provide a link, I'm sorry.

The interesting thing this time is that the policeman is merely standing his ground and the teenage is giving him a lot of lip - in the course of which he clearly threatens the policeman with violence. The policeman promptly walk over to him, spins him around to cuff him and then sweeps his legs from under him to drop him face down on the pavement. It was a prompt hard stop and put-down and the policeman didn't attempt to be gentle with him but the teenager had been dushing out insults and then a clear threat.

But it was on video and the arrested person was an indiginous person, so the policeman's actions have been questioned. I think he might even have been suspended.

But it turns out that the "leg sweep" is a put-down technique which Sidney police are taught to use, and it clearly a very effective way to take some down to get him (or her I suppose) into restraint. Given the threat the suspect made, it was not unreasonable to arrest him - but was excessive force used?

I would say not; if a policeman is threatened and on his own, he probably does need to get control very quickly and firmly. It matters not that the suspect is an aborigine; he shouldn't threaten a policeman.

I've found the video clip again:

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/video/2020/jun/02/australian-police-officer-slams-indigenous-teen-to-pavement-during-arrest-in-sydney-video

StuartO - 2020-06-06 4:14 PM

I would say that to pin a mans arms behind his back and them slam him down face first onto a paved surface, when he has no means of protecting his face, is definitely excessive force.

:-|

I'm not sure where you're going with this now Stuart as i read in another thread you started that your "daughter commented yesterday that we need to understand that American blacks have lived their lives witnessing and suffering racist attitudes and behaviour from many whites, hence their sensitivity." So the theme is pretty much the same as this has veered off the Floyd case specific now.

I don't know how old your daughter is but she obviously has an awareness and understanding of history. White people were never colonised,,,,white people were never enslaved....white people were never lynched. The indigenous people of the Americas to give it it's broadest term is Indian but since colonisation by the Spanish then British, importing their negro slaves, it developed into a melting pot of races. Many of todays African American can trace their ancestry back to those roots as 'imports' by their white 'masters' with the latter coming predominantly from Europe.

Prof Steven Seidman from NY university wrote in a study, ""white culture constitutes the general cultural mainstream, causing non-White culture to be seen as deviant, in either a positive or negative manner. Moreover, Whites tend to be disproportionately represented in powerful positions, controlling almost all political, economic, and cultural institutions. Whites are most commonly unaware of their privilege and the manner in which their culture has always been dominant in the US, as they do not identify as members of a specific racial group but rather incorrectly perceive their views and culture as "raceless", when in fact it is ethno-national (ethnic/cultural) specific, with a racial base component."

An interesting but gruesome read of history; https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/apr/26/lynchings-memorial-us-south-montgomery-alabama?CMP=share_btn_tw

A short clip from a BBC reporter who worked in the US; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfvHXJZHZPs&list=FL-lez4R1JNbMGiwzb4lL3zA

I don't know where I'm going either! Just exploring the subject I suppose.

If its OK for blacks in the USA to be driven by their sense of the past, is it OK for us to be driven by the outcome of the Crusades a thousand years ago? Mind you, the Sunni and Shiite muslims are still knocking ten bells out of each other 1500 years after the original falling out. And the Irish divisions in society?

None of todays blacks or whites in the USA have any personal experience of any aspect of slavery.

Barryd999 - 2020-06-06 2:27 PM

Birdbrain - 2020-06-06 12:57 PM

No I dont think she meant that at all, just said in the heat of a protest and leaped upon by those that simply want to continue the fight rather than just accepting there is a real issue of inequality and inherent racism.

So in other words Im wrong for believing every word she says as in "All lives dont matter" ... Well I'll remember that ... You know when you were bitching here , there and everywhere about one man breaking lockdown rules , I presume those protesting dont count ??? ... Thats different somehow ???

StuartO - 2020-06-06 4:51 PM

If its OK for blacks in the USA to be driven by their sense of the past, is it OK for us to be driven by the outcome of the Crusades a thousand years ago? Mind you, the Sunni and Shiite muslims are still knocking ten bells out of each other 1500 years after the original falling out. And the Irish divisions in society?

None of todays blacks or whites in the USA have any personal experience of any aspect of slavery.

I demand the descendants of those nasty Viking warriors kneel before me and while were at it those descendants of those nasty Romans can kneel before me n'all ... Its nothing to do with the wrongs of hundreds of years ago , its nothing to do with Mr Floyd for a lot of em either , its a jolly up and an excuse to kick a copper and riot in many places

If its OK for blacks in the USA to be driven by their sense of the past, ………………………………...

I think you'll find that the blacks in the USA are currently being driven by their sense of what is happening NOW - and in recent times.

:-|

Bulletguy - 2020-06-06 4:29 PM

I'm not sure where you're going with this now Stuart as i read in another thread you started that your "daughter commented yesterday that we need to understand that American blacks have lived their lives witnessing and suffering racist attitudes and behaviour from many whites, hence their sensitivity." So the theme is pretty much the same as this has veered off the Floyd case specific now.

I don't know how old your daughter is but she obviously has an awareness and understanding of history. White people were never colonised,,,,white people were never enslaved....white people were never lynched. The indigenous people of the Americas to give it it's broadest term is Indian but since colonisation by the Spanish then British, importing their negro slaves, it developed into a melting pot of races. Many of todays African American can trace their ancestry back to those roots as 'imports' by their white 'masters' with the latter coming predominantly from Europe.

Prof Steven Seidman from NY university wrote in a study, ""white culture constitutes the general cultural mainstream, causing non-White culture to be seen as deviant, in either a positive or negative manner. Moreover, Whites tend to be disproportionately represented in powerful positions, controlling almost all political, economic, and cultural institutions. Whites are most commonly unaware of their privilege and the manner in which their culture has always been dominant in the US, as they do not identify as members of a specific racial group but rather incorrectly perceive their views and culture as "raceless", when in fact it is ethno-national (ethnic/cultural) specific, with a racial base component."

An interesting but gruesome read of history; https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/apr/26/lynchings-memorial-us-south-montgomery-alabama?CMP=share_btn_tw

A short clip from a BBC reporter who worked in the US; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfvHXJZHZPs&list=FL-lez4R1JNbMGiwzb4lL3zA

[/QUOT

You have obviously never heard of serfdom in the middle ages it is virtually slavery with another name. (^)

I don't see the two as comparable as white Anglo Saxon Protestants were never enslaved, colonised or lynched. You say 'none of todays blacks in the US have personal experience of slavery'...not in the physical sense as their forebears when brought in shackles to be sold, but the mentality still exists, especially in the Southern states like Georgia, South Carolina, Mississippi, and Alabama which was where Luther Kings civil rights movement was born. King must be turning in his grave as what we're witnessing now is pretty much what King and the civil rights movement had battled against years of horrendous oppression and persecution the actions of which beggared belief with police beating the crap out of any black who dared sit on the white mans seat on a bus. America is going backwards.

This is another video from BBC reporter Clive Myrie filmed four years ago which is worth watching;

Some Americans obviously know they have a racist problem as at the height of the civil rights movement Hollywood released an excellent movie, "In the Heat of the Night" with Sidney Poitier and Rod Steiger. The acting from both was sheer brilliance and reflects the bigoted mindset of small town America.

(watch for the 3m 50s mark!)

teflon2 - 2020-06-06 6:32 PM

You have obviously never heard of serfdom in the middle ages it is virtually slavery with another name. (^)

Serfs were land tenants and couldn't be sold or bought where slaves were owned so could be bought and sold by anyone. The Scottish Highland clearances is a good example of serfdom.

Guest pelmetman

White people were never colonised,,,,white people were never enslaved....white people were never lynched.

So the Roman's, Viking's, Saxon's and Norman's just came for a holiday? *-) ........

pelmetman - 2020-06-07 4:14 PM

White people were never colonised,,,,white people were never enslaved....white people were never lynched.

So the Roman's, Viking's, Saxon's and Norman's just came for a holiday? *-) ........

And the Saracens didn't torture or enslave the Crusaders they captured?

Awkward ... https://www.theguardian.com/guardianweekly/story/0,12674,1171347,00.html ... Imagine being so bitter , twisted and full of hate you attempt to re-write history and ignore the suffering of millions just because they were white ... Lordy My , how very racist

Bulletguy - 2020-06-06 6:52 PM

teflon2 - 2020-06-06 6:32 PM

Serfs were land tenants and couldn't be sold or bought where slaves were owned so could be bought and sold by anyone. The Scottish Highland clearances is a good example of serfdom.[/quote

Wrong quote from Concise Oxford English dictionary.

Serf person whose service is attached to the soil and transferred with it . Oppressed person, drudge (slave )

As such would be passed on with the land deeds also any issue ( children )

Also females were considered to be chattel and as a poster on here often wrote the suffragettes helped bring freedom to the females of this country.

Slavery is unfortunately endemic to the human race. Throughout history the victors have enslaved the defeated regardless of colour. Arab nations were the most prolific traders of African people long before European countries engaged in African slavery.

Birdbrain - 2020-06-07 5:10 PM

Awkward ... https://www.theguardian.com/guardianweekly/story/0,12674,1171347,00.html ... Imagine being so bitter , twisted and full of hate you attempt to re-write history and ignore the suffering of millions just because they were white ... Lordy My , how very racist

Good link Antony and most unusual for you to turn to the Guardian! You will note it states, "black Africans enslaved and shipped to the Americas over four centuries outnumbered Prof Davis's estimates of white European taken to Africa by 12-1". However it relates back to the 16th century and black slaves were still being traded in the US until the 13th Amendment was passed in 1864, over 30 years after it had been abolished in Europe. Despite the passing of the 13th Amendment the struggle to achieve full equality and guarantee the civil rights of all Americans would continued well into the 20th century due to Black Codes and 'Jim Crow laws', restrictive laws designed to limit the freedom of African Americans and ensure their availability as a cheap labour force after slavery was abolished.

What can be more bitter, twisted and full of hate than segregation because of a persons skin colour? Any white Americans who railed against such bigoted racism were deemed 'subversives', 'political agitators', 'communists' etc, many later getting hauled in front of McCarthy on trumped up charges of treason.

Archived