New Elddis panel-van conversion - how good?

AED

I was very tempted to buy a new Elddis panel van. I am no fan of Fiat and I disliked the Comformatic auto box. With the replacement of a 9 speed auto I assume the problems were over.

Unfortunately the reviews on Elddis are pretty dire. Water leaks are very common.

It`s a pity as the new Evolution seems well equipped with everything I normally have to add as extras.

I have a friend who has had to reject a brand new van with lot`s of faults and water leaks everywhere after only one day of ownership.

Spending around £50k makes me very wary.

Alan.

Have a look Into the Cathago Malibu.

After 8 Motorhomes, this is far the best.

Panel vans tend not to suffer with leaks but they can rattle like all Motorhomes.

Ours doesn’t rattle and only goes back for its yearly checks.

We purchased ours from Go European.

I’m for the 1st time 100% happy with the build quality.

I hear good reports of the new Auto box and probably wish ours was auto.

“Evolution” Elddis motorhomes are exclusive to Brownhills.

As Alan has said, it should be apparent from this link

https://www.brownhills.co.uk/new-elddis-motorhomes.html

that the specification is significantly enhanced.

The ZF “9 Speed” auto-box has been around for a while, though not fitted to Ducato until recently. It has not been without problems...

https://tinyurl.com/y8u3et57

Thanks Derek, although I am very surprised about the auto box.

ZF gearboxes , in my understanding, were quality German engineering.

The Comfortmatic auto box, I never had any time for.

The Evolution suited me perfectly as already fitted with all that I required, the only downside for me was it came in one colour only, black.

To read the negative reviews came as a shock, are Elddis panel vans really that bad ?

What do other owners think?

I had assumed the replacement box was new, as I had never come across it before.

I have driven the VW dsg 7 speed and found it excellent and the Ford 6 speed is ok.

I know there are `Friday Night ` vehicles out there , but is this the norm for Elldis?

Thanks for the replies, Alan.

AED - 2020-06-15 6:23 PM

Thanks Derek, although I am very surprised about the auto box.

ZF gearboxes , in my understanding, were quality German engineering.

The Comfortmatic auto box, I never had any time for...

My understanding is that the control systems for the “Agile” robotised manual transmission that was fitted to Iveco Daily RWD vehicles and the “Comfort-Matic” equivalent fitted to FWD Fiat Ducatos were developed by ZF.

There are some ‘9 Speed’ comments here that may be of interest

https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/club-together/discussions/information-technical-tips-advice/motorhomes/new-fiat-9-speed-auto-box/

I think Elddis has only been marketing panel-van conversions since 2018, so you may not get much feedback from owners here.

(I’ve altered this thread’s title to make it more specific.)

Can't vouch for the Elddis panel vans but have owned from new in 2015 a Elddis Auto quest 115 (Sunseeker from Westcountry Motorhomes ) and having five new vans from auto sleeper and the original Devon conversions ) I can honestly say this is the one that I have had the least problems with.

I also want the new 9 speed gearbox due to mobility problems and it's looking like I will have to look elsewhere for a fiat based vehicle.

Pete

AED - 2020-06-15 10:23 AM

I was very tempted to buy a new Elddis panel van. I am no fan of Fiat and I disliked the Comformatic auto box. With the replacement of a 9 speed auto I assume the problems were over.

Unfortunately the reviews on Elddis are pretty dire. Water leaks are very common.

It`s a pity as the new Evolution seems well equipped with everything I normally have to add as extras.

I have a friend who has had to reject a brand new van with lot`s of faults and water leaks everywhere after only one day of ownership.

Alan.

I would be wary too Alan. I also think that £50,000 for what can only be classified as the most basic entry van on the market today is too steep.

The Elddis camper range is probably OK as a day van or as a weekender unit on a campsite with EHU but I would seriously question their build, quality and winterization capabilities as a proper camper.

IMO the likes of Elddis, Autotrail, Chausson, Benimar and Swift all jumped on the bandwagon to help grab a piece of the ever growing PVC market - and I have to say that all five of the brands mentioned don't do a particularly good job of it.

I’m not sure if there’s an independent review on-line of an Elddis “Evolution” PVC, but the “Signature” range marketed bt Tyne Valley Motorhomes is similar

https://www.tynevalleymotorhomes.com/motorhomes/elddis-signature-cv60

and there’s a review here

https://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/motorhomes/reviews/motorhomes/details/motorhome-review-elddis-signature-cv20-campervan/1015544

No motorhome manufacturer (including Globecar) is immune from building a ‘dog’, as this 2013 forum thread proves.

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/German-address-for-Globecar-Possl/33123/

Bop - 2020-06-16 1:12 PM

Alan.

I would be wary too Alan. I also think that £50,000 for what can only be classified as the most basic entry van on the market today is too steep.

The Elddis camper range is probably OK as a day van or as a weekender unit on a campsite with EHU but I would seriously question their build, quality and winterization capabilities as a proper camper.

IMO the likes of Elddis, Autotrail, Chausson, Benimar and Swift all jumped on the bandwagon to help grab a piece of the ever growing PVC market - and I have to say that all five of the brands mentioned don't do a particularly good job of it.

I use my Elddis 115 all through uk winter ,with hook up, and spent a month in it in Scotland . No problem for us.

jumpstart - 2020-06-16 7:41 PM

Bop - 2020-06-16 1:12 PM

Alan.

I use my Elddis 115 all through uk winter ,with hook up, and spent a month in it in Scotland . No problem for us.

......and I don't disbelieve you one bit but comparing the thermal properties of a metal box to a plastic Tupperware container in winter is a bit like apples 'n' oranges.

Brian Kirby - 2020-06-17 10:14 AM

I was going to look at the layout, and I'm puzzled. The OP says "panel van conversion" and "Evolution". The Elddis website offers only Elddis Autoquest PVC's and no Evolution. What am I missing?

Derek Uzzell - 2020-06-15 2:03 PM

Keithl - 2020-06-17 10:28 AM

Brian Kirby - 2020-06-17 10:14 AM

I was going to look at the layout, and I'm puzzled. The OP says "panel van conversion" and "Evolution". The Elddis website offers only Elddis Autoquest PVC's and no Evolution. What am I missing?

Derek Uzzell - 2020-06-15 2:03 PM

Thanks Keith. I hadn't looked that far back.

Derek Uzzell - 2020-06-17 10:29 AM

Explanation on the link I provided earlier

https://www.brownhills.co.uk/new-elddis-motorhomes.html

(Presumably the Elddis website will eventually be updated...)

Thanks Derek, gottit! :-) It's odd about the website lagging behind!

So, essentially, all three are 6.0 metre long vans, two with rear lounges and one with what looks like a rather narrow (and truncated) "French bed", all with added bling.

I was going to observe that as there are so many PVCs now on the market, sticking to one that appears to be "loaded", but about which the OP has reservations as to quality, seemed unnecessarily restrictive, and he might be wise to look around. However, with his apparent preference for a rear lounge layout, his choices will be quite sharply reduced, mainly, if not totally, from UK converters. However, even then, Elddis are not the only one building rear lounge PVCs.

My only comment on rear lounges is that they have to be to some extent converted to make beds, even if that requires no more than pulling out the bedding to make up the bed, and storing it away next morning (usually under the lounge stats - which therefore lose much of their apparent storage capability) before the lounge can be used. But many love the layout, and are happy with what seems to me an inconvenience. Good thing we're not all the same, isn't it? :-)

Archived