Migrants

sandalwood

Bulletguy - 2020-08-10 7:07 PM

jumpstart - 2020-08-10 6:07 PM

Bulletguy - 2020-08-10 3:16 PM

jumpstart - 2020-08-10 2:40 PM

Brexit was never about immigration,unless you read some of the scrappy papers.

It was actually one of the key points used by Cummings in the Vote Leave campaign and he's openly admitted since, without pushing that myth, Vote Leave would not have won the referendum. If you want to check it out, click the embedded link to his blog.

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/news/vote-leave-director-admits-won-lied-public/08/02/

it worked a treat, especially on the gullible like this chap who just cannot grasp the irony of what he's saying. (needs a face palm icon!)

Not really interested in what was said by Cummings or the Vote Leave lot, most people with half a brain knew immigration was not the major leaving reason. That’s not to say some thought it so, there were multiple other reasons.

Read his blog. Like it or not it was one of three key points he used and without whipping up the hysteria on immigration, he believes Leave would not have won the referendum. They also took advantage of Farages poster which was yet another wicked deceit as the photo-journalist who took it explains; https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2016/jun/22/jeff-mitchells-best-shot-the-column-of-marching-refugees-used-in-ukips-brexit-campaign

Sorry J/start but it's fair to say that not everyone who voted Brexit are racists.......but all racists certainly voted for it.

How would anyone know if racists voted for Brexit? Does that include coloured people,if so why would they? Your statement doesn’t make any sense.

Cummings may well believe what he said in his blog , that doesn’t make it true.....who would believe him anyway?

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I haven't been following this thread hrough the side tracks but going back to the topic of discouraging and dealing with illegal migrants (including would-be asylum seekers) wouldn't life be a lot easier if British boats/vessels which rescued illegals after they enter British waters were allowed to land them back in Calais rather than in UK? The message would soon get around that attempting the crossing in a rubber boat was doomed to failure and for the and for our Border Force the problem would be come simply one of logistics, picking them up efficiently and returning them to Calais without ever landing them in UK. if the French were genuinely willing to facilitate discouragement of illegal crossings there would be no reasons to refuse - but are they?

We have Brits, Belgians and French streaming into our area and snapping up houses that have been on sale for years. The French want to escape the cities and many Brits are renting with the intention to buy later. I have a friend who sold and completed in two weeks! Unheard of, it usually takes three months! Can’t blame them. It’s a wonderful place to live, even with the paperwork. So many Briits in the South West that they don’t even have to bother to learn the language... :-( :-(

jumpstart - 2020-08-11 7:04 AM

It was actually one of the key points used by Cummings in the Vote Leave campaign and he's openly admitted since, without pushing that myth, Vote Leave would not have won the referendum. If you want to check it out, click the embedded link to his blog.

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/news/vote-leave-director-admits-won-lied-public/08/02/

it worked a treat, especially on the gullible like this chap who just cannot grasp the irony of what he's saying. (needs a face palm icon!)

Not really interested in what was said by Cummings or the Vote Leave lot, most people with half a brain knew immigration was not the major leaving reason. That’s not to say some thought it so, there were multiple other reasons.

Read his blog. Like it or not it was one of three key points he used and without whipping up the hysteria on immigration, he believes Leave would not have won the referendum. They also took advantage of Farages poster which was yet another wicked deceit as the photo-journalist who took it explains; https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2016/jun/22/jeff-mitchells-best-shot-the-column-of-marching-refugees-used-in-ukips-brexit-campaign

Sorry J/start but it's fair to say that not everyone who voted Brexit are racists.......but all racists certainly voted for it.

How would anyone know if racists voted for Brexit? Does that include coloured people,if so why would they? Your statement doesn’t make any sense.

Cummings may well believe what he said in his blog , that doesn’t make it true.....who would believe him anyway?

I'm surprised something as simple as this should even need explaining. Perhaps a better choice of description would have been xenophobe. So ask yourself why any xenophobe would vote to remain with 27 other countries with all those awful foreigner types? The chances are slim to none. They are certainly not going to vote to remain with them are they? There were elements of racism involved, mainly Islamophobia, which makes that clip of Barnsley man all the more funny. I trust you did see the irony of what he was saying?

As for Cummings, immigration was one of the key points Leave used in their campaign and to deny it is simply burying ones head. Remember Johnson implying "80 million Turks would come to the UK if it stayed in the EU"? Naturally he's always denied it but he mentioned Turkey in relation to EU many times during the campaign and was co-signatory of a letter to the PM warning about Turkish membership a week before the vote. Pure scaremongering tactics of course.....but it worked. Johnson was simply the mouthpiece, the dummy.......Cummings was the chief architect of the campaign and still is the puppet master. You asked 'who would believe him', which surprised me as you were one of the 17 million people who believed. At least back then.....i'm not so sure you do now. Cummings is a clever manipulator.

Gaby53 - 2020-08-11 8:04 AM

We have Brits, Belgians and French streaming into our area and snapping up houses that have been on sale for years. The French want to escape the cities and many Brits are renting with the intention to buy later. I have a friend who sold and completed in two weeks! Unheard of, it usually takes three months! Can’t blame them. It’s a wonderful place to live, even with the paperwork. So many Briits in the South West that they don’t even have to bother to learn the language... :-( :-(

That seems common among resident Brits in France or Spain all huddled up in their little enclaves. It doesn't work in other countries. I've met immigrant Brits in Germany and Bulgaria and all spoke the language.

Presumably once we have completed the Transition Period and are free to make our own laws again, our Government can legslate to make it easier to deport illegal immigrants and other measures which will help to dissolve the "pull" factors which cause so many to want to reach UK at any risk.

And if we get that part right we can also start to make sensible and humane responses to genuine asylum requests when we feel they are deserving. I quite like the idea of an offshore holding place, so that illegal migrants wouldn't feel they had actually arrived in UK when they cross the Channel.

StuartO - 2020-08-11 7:40 AM

I haven't been following this thread hrough the side tracks but going back to the topic of discouraging and dealing with illegal migrants (including would-be asylum seekers) wouldn't life be a lot easier if British boats/vessels which rescued illegals after they enter British waters were allowed to land them back in Calais rather than in UK? The message would soon get around that attempting the crossing in a rubber boat was doomed to failure and for the and for our Border Force the problem would be come simply one of logistics, picking them up efficiently and returning them to Calais without ever landing them in UK. if the French were genuinely willing to facilitate discouragement of illegal crossings there would be no reasons to refuse - but are they?

This link should clarify - though there are a number of links that need to be followed to see what international treaty obligations in respect of refugees the UK has previously undertaken to uphold. https://tinyurl.com/ydehac2f

These obligations arise through Article 14 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, which states that "Everyone has the right to seek and to enjoy in other countries asylum from persecution.", plus the 1951 United Nations Convention Relating to the Status of Refugees, and the 1967 Protocol Relating to the Status of Refugees.

The central issue with respect to the Channel is that our undertakings under the Convention and the Charter include an obligation not to "discriminate against refugees".

I'm not a lawyer, but I'd guess that intercepting refugees at sea and returning them whence they came, before their right to asylum had been assessed, would be deemed discriminatory. I think that would arise because, again under the UN charter etc., the refugee has to claim asylum in the country to which they have, ultimately, chosen to flee. So, if you are denied access to register your claim for asylum, you are also being denied the right to claim asylum that is conferred via the above Convention, as widened under the above Protocol. A sort of legal Catch 22.

The only work-around I can see would be to register and interview the applicants in France, instead of requiring them to first enter the UK. I can't imagine that either the UN, or France, would object were that compromise to be proposed, as it would have the advantage of removing all incentive for the migrants to cross the Channel in cockleshells in order to be able to register their claims.

I assume that any existing international/UN type treaties/charters/laws that cover refugees/asylum seekers, would not have been structured to deal with the "type" of migration we currently have anyway?

(ie- People choosing to make their way across many borders, and in doing so leaving many "safe" countries in order to launch themselves across one of the world's busiest shipping lanes - and by the sounds of it, more often than not paying someone handsomely in the process...?) :-S

So if they weren't, maybe new laws need drafting? (or just exiting ones utilised?)

If you take "the EU", and the ethnicity and religion of those concerned, out of it all - the fact remains that people should not be able to just roll up to another country "undocumented"..... That isn't how it should work, surely.. :-S

Bulletguy - 2020-08-11 4:15 PM

I'm surprised something as simple as this should even need explaining. Perhaps a better choice of description would have been xenophobe. So ask yourself why any xenophobe would vote to remain with 27 other countries with all those awful foreigner types? The chances are slim to none. They are certainly not going to vote to remain with them are they? There were elements of racism involved, mainly Islamophobia, which makes that clip of Barnsley man all the more funny. I trust you did see the irony of what he was saying?

As for Cummings, immigration was one of the key points Leave used in their campaign and to deny it is simply burying ones head. Remember Johnson implying "80 million Turks would come to the UK if it stayed in the EU"? Naturally he's always denied it but he mentioned Turkey in relation to EU many times during the campaign and was co-signatory of a letter to the PM warning about Turkish membership a week before the vote. Pure scaremongering tactics of course.....but it worked. Johnson was simply the mouthpiece, the dummy.......Cummings was the chief architect of the campaign and still is the puppet master. You asked 'who would believe him', which surprised me as you were one of the 17 million people who believed. At least back then.....i'm not so sure you do now. Cummings is a clever manipulator.

Some people have short or selective memories I reckon.

Of course it was all about immigration. Well that and twenty years of made up laws by the Sun and Mail etc that the EU supposedly imposed upon us.

Remember this? There were many like it. This one was on one of the main routes oop Norf.

Just a quick google as well serves as a good reminder.

https://www.google.com/search?q=brexit+campaign+immigration+images&rlz=1C1CHBF_en-GBGB822GB822&sxsrf=ALeKk00UYa10KyT0C8axVWr1rKwyzyh9Vg:1597163953141&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj2q8ywy5PrAhVWiFwKHXf4AZMQ_AUoAXoECA0QAw&biw=911&bih=409

441106974_LyingBrexitshitbags.jpg.01da2454307a490a23ba93a803ad6796.jpg

pepe63 - 2020-08-11 5:11 PM

I assume that any existing international/UN type treaties/charters/laws that cover refugees/asylum seekers, would not have been structured to deal with the "type" of migration we currently have anyway?

(ie- People choosing to make their way across many borders, and in doing so leaving many "safe" countries in order to launch themselves across one of the world's busiest shipping lanes - and by the sounds of it, more often than not paying someone handsomely in the process...?) :-S

So if they weren't, maybe new laws need drafting? (or just exiting ones utilised?)

If you take "the EU", and the ethnicity and religion of those concerned, out of it all - the fact remains that people should not be able to just roll up to another country "undocumented"..... That isn't how it should work, surely.. :-S

On the question of where a person should apply for asylum, see this link: https://tinyurl.com/yxaldxoc

It seems that the answer, at least under UK law, is that if the refugees intend to claim asylum in a country that requires them to cross several borders en-route, so long as they don't take up residence along the way, that is acceptable. It is then for the host country to decide whether their claim for asylum, and their reason for choosing their host country, are both valid and reasonable.

But look again at the dates of those treaties etc. They were initiated after WW2 when refugee migrants were moving around Europe in huge numbers. Background here: https://tinyurl.com/y2ya3u7r

The main difference seems to be that today's refugees are more culturally and ethnically different to their chosen host countries than those on the road after WW2.

[

To be fair to the guy I think he believes that because its what he has been told.

I blame those who told him that, and the likes of BoJo who pandered to it, instead of telling him the truth >:-)

John52 - 2020-08-11 6:24 PM

[

To be fair to the guy I think he believes that because its what he has been told.

I blame those who told him that, and the likes of BoJo who pandered to it, instead of telling him the truth >:-)

Surely you don't really believe that ?

So, if someone tells you the earth is flat - it's not your fault if you believe it?

You can't be serious.

(?)

Barryd999 - 2020-08-11 5:44 PM

Of course it was all about immigration. Well that and twenty years of made up laws by the Sun and Mail etc that the EU supposedly imposed upon us.

Remember this? There were many like it. This one was on one of the main routes oop Norf.

https://www.google.com/search?q=brexit+campaign+immigration+images&rlz=1C1CHBF_en-GBGB822GB822&sxsrf=ALeKk00UYa10KyT0C8axVWr1rKwyzyh9Vg:1597163953141&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj2q8ywy5PrAhVWiFwKHXf4AZMQ_AUoAXoECA0QAw&biw=911&bih=409

I well remember it......including his about face 'flip-flop' on the same topic! Just one of many!!

https://qz.com/794411/boris-johnsons-reversal-on-turkey-and-recep-tayyip-erdogan-is-as-outrageous-as-any-of-donald-trumps-flip-flops/

Thats how Cummings soundbites work.

malc d - 2020-08-11 7:18 PM

So, if someone tells you the earth is flat - it's not your fault if you believe it?

You can't be serious.

(?)

Did you think the guy on the clip was just acting? If so, then he's a damn good actor! :-|

Are you seriously saying that people seeing this notice board voted leave....?

I think that is complete b*****ks.

jumpstart - 2020-08-11 8:25 PM

Some certainly! It was part of a huge campaign to persuade people to vote to leave the EU. It didnt just start with the Brexit campaign either. Its been going on for decades,

with the media mainly. The Immigration "thing" was the main reason people ended up voting to leave the EU. Of course they will deny it now, nobody wants to be labelled

a racist or a bit thick for believing all the crap about Immigration, Turkey etc but lets face it, without the Immigration and Free movement thing being at the top of the debate

"Leave" would never have won. All based on lies of course as we now know (well some of us knew that then at the time).

Barryd999 - 2020-08-11 8:50 PM

Some certainly! It was part of a huge campaign to persuade people to vote to leave the EU. It didnt just start with the Brexit campaign either. Its been going on for decades,

with the media mainly. The Immigration "thing" was the main reason people ended up voting to leave the EU. Of course they will deny it now, nobody wants to be labelled

a racist or a bit thick for believing all the crap about Immigration, Turkey etc but lets face it, without the Immigration and Free movement thing being at the top of the debate

"Leave" would never have won. All based on lies of course as we now know (well some of us knew that then at the time).

Some! We are talking about 50% of the population voting leave. Not wanting immigration does not make a person a racist. Can you not think of any other reasons why people voted leave other than what’s in the crappy press?

jumpstart - 2020-08-11 8:56 PM

Barryd999 - 2020-08-11 8:50 PM

Some! We are talking about 50% of the population voting leave. Not wanting immigration does not make a person a racist. Can you not think of any other reasons why people voted leave other than what’s in the crappy press?

37% of the electorate voted Leave JS, not 50%. The 52/48 was yet another misnomer. And like it or not immigration was one of Vote Leaves key points in the campaign.

https://www.indy100.com/article/brexit-leave-remain-52-48-per-cent-voter-turnout-electoral-register-charts-7399226

malc d - 2020-08-11 7:18 PM

[

You can't be serious.

(?)

Why else would he support Brexit?

I can't see what he would get out of it.

Wheras I can see what BoJo got out of it - he became PM and appointed all his useless cronies who would have got nowhere if they hadn't changed sides to Brexit.

And i can see what the Brexit supporting 'newspaper' owners got out of it - they stopped the EU getting into Her Majesty's Tax Havens and making them pay tax.

Some! We are talking about 50% of the population voting leave. Not wanting immigration does not make a person a racist.

Can you not think of any other reasons why people voted leave other than what’s in the crappy press?

It was the crappy press that convinced so many over the years that Immigration was responsible for their crappy lives. It was the crappy press that convinced people that the EU bestowed a shed load of stupid laws on us that were pretty much all made up.

I could see through the crappy press but 52% (of those that voted) clearly could not. Whether people who were against immigration and free movement of people are racist or not, I have no idea but all the racists I have come across in the last four years for sure voted for Brexit. Every single one.

Brian Kirby - 2020-08-10 12:52 PM

Birdbrain - 2020-08-09 2:23 PM

Brian Kirby - 2020-08-09 11:44 AM

Birdbrain - 2020-08-08 7:08 PM

Brian Kirby - 2020-08-08 6:18 PM

Birdbrain - 2020-08-08 3:45 PM

……………………………... I said I dont care how the Navy deals with them, is that so difficult to understand and I dont need to think anything through and its certainly not uncomfortable Princess ... As long as they dont land on our shores I dont care ... Simple enough for ya

So you'd be happy for the navy to bring them into a UK port?

Not particularly no but until the laws are changed and we brought these types back to a UK port to be moved immediately into a secure compound with basic needs rather than 4 star luxury till they were removed then yes I suppose I can live with that ... Would you prefer to put them up at your gaffe or use your motorhome than my secure compound idea ??? ... Just asking

So involving the navy would achieve nothing under present circumstances that the coastguard is not already achieving. So, why then involve the navy who would have to use vessels currently employed on fisheries protection duties? This "navy stuff" is all bluff and bluster with no purpose.

Housing the migrants in hotels is not a matter of choice; it is being done because the existing secure accommodation is full. So, which is the cheaper alternative? Temporarily use under used hotel accommodation, or start a crash building operation to provide additional secure accommodation for the present surge in numbers, which will decline over winter, and will eventually permanently decline? It is a reasonable stop-gap measure that also keeps a few hotels in business.

If you want to keep the migrants out, why do you also want more accommodation for them? Doesn't add up, does it?

Depends what the navy does doesnt it as to comparing it to what is done now ... I told you before put these types up in containers in a secure compound, maybe near you if your so concerned or better still you put them up at your home Merkel Mansions ??? ... Doesnt need any new buildings just containers

So you think the UK should just renege on its international obligations (that it helped draft) and then what, leave the UN and other international organisations (that it helped found) - because it can't handle a relative handful of migrants? You and Dave love banana republics, don't you? That'd do our international reputation and influence no end of good, wouldn't it? And what then for all those Brexity trade deals our future now depends on? Great scheme!

You seem unable to grasp that Brexit happened partly because of "international obligations" like The Dublin Regulation and Brexit voters, the winners of the referendum are sick and stalled of laws that do nothing for them and Blighty yet everything for chancers ... "handful of migrants" , the world according to Brian ... There is another world outside of leafy East Sussex Princess

Barryd999 - 2020-08-11 10:58 PM

Some! We are talking about 50% of the population voting leave. Not wanting immigration does not make a person a racist.

Can you not think of any other reasons why people voted leave other than what’s in the crappy press?

It was the crappy press that convinced so many over the years that Immigration was responsible for their crappy lives. It was the crappy press that convinced people that the EU bestowed a shed load of stupid laws on us that were pretty much all made up.

I could see through the crappy press but 52% (of those that voted) clearly could not. Whether people who were against immigration and free movement of people are racist or not, I have no idea but all the racists I have come across in the last four years for sure voted for Brexit. Every single one.

Chuckle ... From the fella who campaigned for and voted for a racist party that has just paid out half a million big ones because of his parties racism and his party still has the results of the EHRC inquiry into its racism to be published ... Stop being such a hypocrite from your whites only village ... BFN

Birdbrain - 2020-08-12 6:18 AM

Barryd999 - 2020-08-11 10:58 PM

Chuckle ... From the fella who campaigned for and voted for a racist party that has just paid out half a million big ones because of his parties racism and his party still has the results of the EHRC inquiry into its racism to be published ... Stop being such a hypocrite from your whites only village ... BFN

From what I Can see Starmer coughed up that money to just be done with it so he can move on. From what I have seen and from the lack of evidence you or anyone else has been able to produce on here regarding "real" racism from elected and serving Labour MP's it doesn't exist. Unlike the inherent and blatant racism in the Tory party with your PM being a prime example.

Archived