Access home WiFi from motorhome

ramsay

If you mean using your MH as an office or similar while parked at home, depending on distance, a Wifi booster might work.

I ran a semi permanent network cable into mine direct from the in house wifi hub, works really well.

I am actually thinking of fitting a network connection point in the MH so i don't have to run the wire through a window.

If out on the road there are various different access methods, whether boosting a signal from say a caravan park or using 4G ditrect.

each will need its own equipment and sim card etc.

Wifi is a short range system. If you wish to access home wifi while parked in your driveway, that is quite possible. On the other hand if your requirement is to access your domestic wifi when remote from home, then the answer is no.

However if your home wif, as in some instances, is provided via the mobile phone system, then it may be possible to transfer either the complete system (if suitable) into the MH, or perhaps just transfer the SIM.

For a basic MH system, you would as suggested need to tether to your mobile phone, or use a pocket mifi unit. In poor signal areas, a mifi unit would benefit from an external aerial.

There is more information on this thread, and I am sure that there are others.

Alan

Not really

In a round about way ,,,,,,yes !

Maybe your looking at Amplifi Teleport, No idea if it really works as I have not had access to one and not sure I would bother.

So do you mean connecting to your home network? working via your home router . Then yes , but you may need Open VPN access server ,a DDNS server so you can give your Open VPN service a permanent externally visible hostname and Open VPN client to enable your devices away from home to connect to your home network.

I think after lockdown , Just get out there and enjoy

ramsay - 2021-03-17 1:27 PM

Looking to access wifi when away from home is there any gadget out there ?

Do you mean wifi, or internet? Many campsites etc have wifi hotspots, usually for a charge. But that requires a wifi hotspot of some sort to be available, and hotspots are not everywhere. If you want internet access wherever you are, you'll need to use mobile internet, either via a mobile 'phone, or by using a laptop or tablet with its own SIM card. But you'll also need a substantial data allowance on your contract.

david lloyd - 2021-03-17 6:25 PM

We use a Roku TV streaming box (connected via USB to an A red Pro TV) connected via WiFi to a 4g aerial on the roof

David

Can you imagine how this would have sounded 20 or even 10 years ago

We use a Huawei E5885 CAT6 4G Mi-Fi box of tricks

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B073RNXCHK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

To this we add a 3Mobile PAYG data SIM They are cheaper to buy from Amazon than 3mobile themselves oddly enough.

There are people who will reach in to your pocket and take money for all sorts of additional gizmo aerials etc to boost the signal, but we've never had a problem using this kit across the Channel.

Since we still don't know what the requirements actually are it's hard to suggest anything. It's a spectrum running from simple wifi access point on a phone to a VPN solution connecting to a home network for access to specific files.

Archived