10 year old tyres

rooster63

I was checking over my van and noticed a small nick on the sidewall of one of the tyres. On looking more closely at the tyres I noticed that they were made in 2011. I bought the van in December 2020 from a reputable dealer and since then due to lock down have hardly used the van so the nick which is 2mm deep by about 5mm long and 3mm wide is unlikely to have been caused by me especially as it is on the off side, so no kerb grinding. My question is, ‘ should a dealer be selling a van with tyres 10 years old?’ Would it be reasonable to expect some sort of recompense?

I will need to change the tyres, have looked at lots of options. 1 Continental Van Contact 2 Agilis Camper, 3 Agilis All Seasons. Any thoughts about which I should go for.

Thanks

Its not illegal to run with 10 year old tyres on a private vehicle, just not recommended, it has only recently been made in to law to make 10 year old tyre's illegal on commercial vehicles.

It might be worth contacting the dealer regarding the split and the age, they may give you something towards a new set, especially if you bought remotely without viewing, However, unfortunately I think this is a case of buyer beware, if this had been noticed when viewing it could have been part of the bargaining process in your favor.

When I bought my MH privately, I picked it up with the PO from the MOT station where it had just passed its MOT, the tyre's were 12 years old and rotten, but it was still road legal, Be assured they were the first thing to get changed once the MH was in my possession.....

Ten years is broadly seen as the latest for renewal. Most vehicles will not get anywhere near this before needing replaced due to tread wear. Given the value of a Motorhome and its potential irregular usage they must be some of the few vehicles likely to have tread left at that age. The rear tyres on my van are now in their 7th year with 37,000 miles and I am increasing the inspection regime. If we get our normal 9000 miles this year (there is optimism for you !) then I probably will change next year.

https://www.michelin.in/auto/tips-and-advice/advice-auto/when-should-i-change-my-car-tyres

Davy

rooster63

I think you own a Timberland Destiny panel-van conversion. You have’t provided any details of the tyres currently fitted, but I’m guessing these are 215/70 R15 specification and ‘commercial’ rather than ‘camping-car’ type.

Unless you are keen to fit ‘camping-car’ (CP-marked) tyres, you might fit the ‘all season’ type and - if you plan to use the vehicle a lot in winter (particularly in northern Europe) - it would make sense for the tyres to carry the 3PMSF marking ((Three Peak Mountain Snow Flake).

https://www.oponeo.co.uk/blog/winter-tyres-don-t-rely-on-the-m-s-mark

You might consider Continental VanContact 4Season or Continental Vanco Camper (that is CP-marked) but there are several alternative (less expensive) ‘commercial’ tyres that should be suitable such as Hankook’s Vantra LT RA18 that is a ’summer’ tyre and M+S-marked (though not 3PMSF-marked).

It really comes down to how you plan to use your motorhome in future and how much you are prepared to pay for the replaceent tyres.

As has been advised above, there is currently no legal limit for the age of the tyres fitted to motorhomes. So the chances are pretty small (approaching zero) that the vendor of your motorhome might accept any ‘blame’ for selling a motorhome fitted with 10-year-old tyres provided that those tyres were ‘MOT-test legal’ when the vehicle was sold.

Questions about tyre age often appear on motorhome forums. This was a 2020 discussion here

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Tyre-replacement-age-related-/55553/

Current tyres are Bridgestone Duravis. Still waiting to hear back from dealers but my wife and I distinctly remember the sales man saying they give the van a thorough check and service before collection and he commented that tyres look like they have got plenty of life in them (tread) but they would check them out and replace if necessary. Just wish I had thought to check the date stamp on them.

Kwik Fit have got quite a good choice of tyres at a range of prices, just trying to research what would be the best ones to go for so reading various articles. Will have to buy 5 as the spare is just as old and I have read that in France if a fitter has to be called out to change a wheel they won't do it if the tyres don't match.

Rooster,

Are you members of either C&CC or C&MC? If you are then they offer discounts at some of the major tyre retailers. eg C&MC members get 5% discount at National Tyres.

And they offer a 'Fit at home' service.

Keith.

rooster63 - 2021-03-19 11:05 AM

...I have read that in France if a fitter has to be called out to change a wheel they won't do it if the tyres don't match.

My understanding is that French tyre-related regulations demand that, when new tyres are fitted, the tyres at each end of the axle must be the same MAKE.

There’s been discussion about this here in the past as (apparently) the French contrôle technique (the French equivalent to the UK’s MOT test) does not insist on this ’same tyre make on an axle’ requirement and it’s an odd regulation in any case. But, if you just wanted a French breakdown service to fit your spare wheel in place of a damaged/punctured tyre, I don’t think you’d meet refusal. On the other hand, if the tyre on your spare wheel is also 10 years old, you’d be better repacing that tyre too.

A potential problem with opting for Pirelli’s “Carrier Camper” tyre is its relative unpopularity. So, if you subsequently needed a replacement, you might find it difficult to source one. The tyre was discussed here in 2015

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Pirelli-Carrier-Camper-tyres-looking-for-a-quiet-life-/38191/

This is the 2013 forum thread in which the French requirement was discussed where - when fitting new tyres to a vehicle - the tyres on an axle must all be the same make.

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/urgent-advice-re-tyres/31371/

From Brian Kirby’s research then, evidently the ’same make of tyre’ requirement is stated in a 1992 EC Council Directive that France adheres to (or was adhering to in 2013 when the forum thread was created) and the UK ignores.

• 3 weeks later...

Good news, the dealer has paid for a set of 5 new tyres for my recently purchased van. Luckily I had the promotional video on which the salesman clearly said if the tyres were more than 5 years old they would replace them. It was only when I noticed one of the tyres had a nick in it that I spotted the age of the tyres.

Although we paid a higher price by using a dealer it has paid off so far, a private seller wouldn’t have replaced the tyres. (There was a fault with the tow bar electrics and that was sorted out as well at no cost)

But it does show you do need to check everything thoroughly when collecting a new van.

The original tyres were Bridgestone, I think the sales man mentioned that he didn't think they were the original tyres, maybe that is why the fact they were 10 years old was missed.

I went for Pirelli Carrier camper and the dealer was happy with the price I was quoted by a local tyre depot so I got them fitted and then billed the MH company, they paid up very promptly.

That is great news,

Now you can enjoy your 'van' without tyre worries.

It does make me wonder how the dealer didn't spot the issue in the first place if their promise is for less than 5 year old tyres, you would think it would be one of the things they would look for on a pre-selling inspection....

Anyway, go out and enjoy your 'van' :-D B-)

I had a set of Coopers all terrain tyres on my Landrover and after 7 years they still had good tread due to light use but the compound went hard and subsequently they were deadly in wet conditions so I changed them all. The spare tyre was a Michelin that was still "new" so I ended up with using it for a few years before I realised it was actually 18 years old so changed it for a BFG. This car is based in Australia and the last time I had it "MOTéd" I recall they had a look at the date stamp on the BFG tyres I installed after the Coopers, they were approaching 8 years old. The compound has started to harden on the BFG all terrains as well so I think this is the main problem with aging tyres.

Archived