How's anyone getting on with the new CAMC website?

paulmold

I only use their website on my laptop to find CLs and I have to say I think their recent update is utterly appalling. The navigation is clunky, they've removed site guide prices, there's no lat/long or grid ref. any more, all the site reviews have been taken down and you can no longer search for sites without EHUs. How these idiots can think this is an improvement I really can't understand. They're an arrogant shower and if it wasn't for their control over CLs which I do want to use I frankly wouldn't bother with them.

Used to be able to put your dates in and search all sites available - now I have to put in a location which returns a site if there is one! Out of curiosity looked at sites over Christmas and most are full. Surprisingly, I could get in at York Rowntree Park but it would cost me £48 a night - maybe that’s why it’s not fully booked as usual? Have to agree with Philip M - it’s dreadful considering the amount of money this ‘upgrade’ would have cost - we are using CL’s more and more and the excellent Temporary Holiday Sites organised by the C&CC but there are not enough them, more the pity.

David

2 hours ago, Philip M said:

I've not come across searchforsites, do they include all CAMC/CCC sites? If so it would be a pleasure to dump cmac.

Yes as well as independent sites, CLs and CSs ,pubs that allow overnights, motorhome stopovers with or without facilities. You would still have to book CAMC sites through that website or the call centre.

Having had a good look at the searchforasite (sfas) app, I'll certainly be using it for future trips.

Since the c&cc don't show phone numbers unless you're a member and camc now give neither address nor phone number to non members, I wondered how sfas gather their comprehensive information - I can't see either of the clubs cooperating. Also now cmac have withdrawn prices, reviews, directions etc. if it will impact sfas. Any thoughts?

As regards prices, I always update entries after contacting the sites and put a review on. You can update any anomalies you notice. I used the free version of s4s for around 5 years before paying the nominal £5 for advanced info , wish I'd done it earlier, it gives autogas locations as well as much more info.

I thought it was me, but yes the new CAMC booking “experience” is indeed a nightmare. In reply to a complaint, they told me all “site directions and reviews were on the “Site information” tab…or just click on the “Map” tab”

Not sure if they’ve actually used the website themselves, but I did eventually find site information and reviews by selecting the “UK Holidays” tab near the top of the page, go down the page and pick your way through club or CL sites, county, places etc (no search facility!”). Don’t use their “useful links” planning your journey, it just takes you to Google maps, and most sites tell you not to use sat-nav or the likes for final approaches!

“searchforsites” is the easiest way to find any CAMC Club or CL site.

Depends on what devices you are using as to how good or bad it is. The Android App on small screen devices is useless but it is reported to be ok on Apple devices. The web site works ok on Windows laptops and desktops but as noted above there is lots of missing information from the new pages. It is still availabale on the old pages and I expect it to migrated to the new ones, hopefully sometime soon?

peedee

It is worth reading the posts on the CAMC forum. There are several threads and must total at least 1500 posts. At least 80% are critical. It was not fit for purpose when launched and although it has improved it still does not have the functionality of the old site. The only way to find prices, directions etc, or even pitch surface, of CLs is by searching by the individual name of the site, which takes you to the old pages.

The search facility map is cumbersome. The CL filter (when you find it) no longer includes some criteria and you have to include Club sites in your search! And there is no link from the summary info at the map stage to the full page which there used to be.

More gripes on this site which haven't been resolved. The app only works online which is a major failing. There is no facility to designate "favourites". On numerous sites EHU is reported as available but the amperage is 0! No answer yet which is correct. No ability to set a radius from a selected point to search. 

Clearly there has been inadequate consultation with users and testing. 

Dick 

Typical design by persons unfamiliar with the subject and required data handling by average user.

Built by another team with no knowledge of subject.

Not initial tests by user group.

No soak testing by “Try the new site” whilst still having the old, but functional site working.

Signed off by the office junior, now promoted to IT manager.

rgds

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, locoman said:

bring back the old app at least it worked on a mobile.

You can get the old app back if only for reference..

Apple users should go to the app store, click on today and check their 'purchase ' list and find the old app there. 

I am optimistic that it will continue to improve after a shaky start. I have used it to book sites and apart from the small screen problem caused by using an old iPhone it worked well. It has been easier than hanging on the phone for ages and or leaving messages on the warden's answer machine (I have not tried booking a CL, only Club sites)

• 3 months later...

Archived