New website

Grumpyman

The new forum seems OK. The biggest plus for me is being able to 'hover' over a thread and read the beginning of post, alhhough it seems a bit slow compared to other forums that use this, it means in future not necessarily having to open a thread where people put 'help needed' and no clue as to why.

Not yet tried to attach a pic.

22 hours ago, Bulletguy said:

I think it's a vast improvement over the old forum. My only criticism is the short amount of time allowed for editing and limited avatar display eg is Keithl's part of a UFO or a boot lid? :classic_unsure:

One reason why an avatar may look odd is because the original image is wider than it is tall (or taller than it is wide) whereas the area that the avatar must occupy is square. So the forum’s software attempts to convert a rectangle into a square.

If the image chosen as an avatar is not square, the result can be distortion and/or unwanted cropping and I’m doubtful that there is any simple way to overcome this. The solution is to submit as an avatar an image that is near-as-dammit square to begin with. This may involve file manipulation that I have little trouble with using an Apple desktop computer, but doing the same on a phone could be much more challenging. The size of the file that is to be chosen for an avatar also needs to be no larger than 0.49MB (490 kilobytes).

Exactly the same avatar distortion problem presented itself when the Practical Caravan forums were switched to a cousin of the Invision Community platform now used here. In that case the forum Administrator offered to manipulate user avatar files to 'square' them, but I don't know if any Practical Caravan forum user took up the offer.

The rectangular wide-than-tall image below of the next Chancellor of the Exchequer was 'squared' to allow it to be used as my (temporary) avatar.

download.jpg

27 minutes ago, thebishbus said:

How do you edit or remove a post ?

Brian B.

If you are outside the edit window, which is possibly 30 minutes, then add another post with the correction and I will edit and delete posts as requested.

Keith.

24 minutes ago, thebishbus said:

Just another thought. Why are we not seeing members vans with their Avatar. ?

Brian B.

Possibly because we haven't found a way to! The best we have managed is to add a signature as below...

And this is how to add a signature... "In your account go to account settings, there should now be an option at the bottom of the menu on the left, that says "Signatures"."

The forum Administrator should be able to adjust the duration of the edit time-window fairly easily.The method was discussed in this Invision Community thread.

https://invisioncommunity.com/forums/topic/462134-changing-the-time-limit-of-editing-a-post-by-a-member/

On the previous forum, the technique for displaying details of a member's motorhome was not a design feature but an ugly 'fudge' that I suggested years ago. As Keith says, there's currently no realistic alternative with the latest forum except to use the Signature option. The snag with this approach is that forum-members can choose whether or not to view signatures and, if they choose not to view signatures (which I think may be the default) they won't see the motorhome details.

It seems that the default setting for signature visibility is 'on' because I'm seeing signatures and haven't changed any settings. While people continue to use their signature just to display motorhome/van type, location etc. that's useful but at the first sign of someone using the field to repeatedly display a funny (we'll be the judge of that..) quip or life advice (you know the sort of thing..) I'll be switching them off as usual, so another method of displaying the useful information would be good if it could be so arranged at some point. Surely the new software has that capability.

As the old forum lacked a dedicated capability to allow a user to provide details of their motorhome, it's disappointing that this feature is still missing. Exploiting the 'signature' feature was an obvious approach with the old forum, but the downside was exactly as mentioned above. 

This Invision Community webpage may be of interest

https://invisioncommunity.com/4guides/welcome/about-invision-community-r7/

The attachment below shows an avatar from an 'international' Hyundai car forum based on the Xenforo platform. However, despite each of the sub-forums including an admin thread encouraging members to provide in their account details of their vehicle, it's commonplace for this information to be omitted.

The current O&AL forum appears to have a batch of members with Administrator and/or Moderator privileges, but I've no idea how many of the Administrators could twiddle the software to produce something akin to the 'look' of the avatar.Hyundai forum .

1 minute ago, tonyishuk said:

Tried editing a posting immediately after posting and was cut short in its prime !  Lost contact after 10 mins.

I'll ask the admin to confirm what the current time limit is and if less than 30 minutes ask if it can be increased.

Keith.

14 hours ago, Keithl said:

I'll ask the admin to confirm what the current time limit is and if less than 30 minutes ask if it can be increased.

Keith.

Just heard back from Rachel and the time limit was set to 5 minutes so she has increased it to 30 minutes.

Please could someone post here then try and edit near to the 30 minutes to test.

Thanks.

Archived