Struggling to understand charging process

snail

Good morning guys, ok so been doing lots of reading and net surfing!

It appears the dealer has fitted the cheapest option for them

My controller has only two buttons only able to change 3 parameters 

Same controller available with multi buttons and is able to change parameters 

Also available are remote meters, mt 11 and mt 50 these go into the com's port, the mt 50 has ability to change parameters for all settings I think?

About £30 if you have time to look them up and agree that's the way to go for me, reasure me that would be great

Still no contact from dealer, surprising! 

Thanks  

40 minutes ago, snail said:

Just been out to van, battery now reading 12.5v, scrolled mppt settings still on gel setting the min and max readings have gone back to 12.0 and 12.5, maybe they aren't  the ones I need?

Put on ehu for an hour or so battery now showing 14v on van panel and no alarm on controller? Still head straching  

Hi snail - bit if a headache isn’t it. Just been running through my Epever controller (which is the two button type) and referring to page 17 of the manual it confirms that voltage parameters can only be set if the battery type is set to ‘user’. I select ‘sep’ as mine are sealed lead acid and the unit automatically configured the charging parameters for that battery type. Further down page 17 is a table of the set parameters for each battery type and for ‘gel’ I see the boost voltage should be 14.2v and float charge at 13.8v

One thing you could try is to set your battery type to ‘user’ and then, using the table on page 17, simply manually set the voltage parameters that are shown under ‘gel’. If this doesn’t work then maybe the regulator is faulty?

David

I tried it on mine and after selecting ‘user’ it then let me scroll through the voltage settings (in the same order as shown on page 17) and set the values using the two buttons. After I finished experimenting I selected ‘sel’ again to go back to the automatic values for sealed lead acid.

David

Thanks for experimenting on my behalf, will have a look at that, ordering the remote mt50 so it's easier to monitor, my book definately says pc needed, tried looked on their website but just kept crashing and black screens

20221030_071305.jpg

This gets more bewildering now I'm not sure the mt50 is compatible 

Think there are subtle differences in software and some are the epever tracer, looks the same? Mine is a epever duoracer which can be programmed by pc or an app via Bluetooth with neccessary adaptors/Leads?

In the accessories section only says mt11 which basically a remote screen to wall mount, we have learned quite a bit and switching battery type to gel did clear the fault when on ehu.

When I scroll through the menus  max and min values show, maybe these are historic values and not the set ones I'm looking for?

Also think the battery is tired as after being on ehu a couple of hours, when disconnected it lost 2 volts in 3 hours with no load on it, thought the solar would of maintained it up after the ehu taken out

Thanks guys for your help, think I'm going to see how it goes, battery change imminent, the next nightmare trying to find what fits under the drivers seat, gel again as can go on its side 

There is information on page 12 of the manual regarding the connection order of the battery 1 , battery 2 and the solar  which appears to be very important with your type of controller and may  not have been carried out correctly by the dealer when fitting it , although it may be best to replace the faulty battery before perhaps doing a reset of the connection order.

If you are going to replace your battery it would be  worth  a look at Tayna Batteries web site they list Gel batteries with many sizes for Motorhomes and are normally very good to deal with and have a very fast delivery. I have used them in the past without any problems.

1 hour ago, Labby said:

If you are going to replace your battery it would be  worth  a look at Tayna Batteries web site they list Gel batteries with many sizes for Motorhomes and are normally very good to deal with and have a very fast delivery. I have used them in the past without any problems.

Yeah the Hymer club had a deal with them, my last wet batteries came from battery megastore near me at Tewkesbury,  any idea on physical size you can get in, would like more amps 125 or even 150 if poss

That could be an option as front lounge van the psu/charger are in the bed box, with the solar controller screwed to it facing backwards thats why its hard to read, could transfer it to there if can't get anything to suit seat space👍

Archived