NC 500 advice please

ColinM50

Can't decide between "back to France and then where?" or, for a change trying the NC 500. So, two questions please.

Firstly what's best, clockwise of anticlockwise? Some guides say there's fewer folk doing clockwise so the traffic's easier but ??

Secondly can we just wild camp in our m/h anywhere sensible or are there recommended campsites en route or restrictions?

By preference I think I'd like to do clockwise starting sort of Glasgow (ish) then finishing Edinburgh for the Tattoo. We went about twenty years ago and it was brill so would like a return trip.

Any advice chaps and chapesses?

TIA 

There's all kinds of views about where, when and how you can wild camp but I honestly can't be bothered.I like my facilities and not being concerned about the noise and shouts of "Freedom" in the night.

So we always stayed on campsites and felt happy to put a bit of money into the local/multinational? owners of the sites.

We went anti clockwise and enjoyed that the scenery................it  just got better and better as we went around. It's not so dramatic on the East Coast so might feel like a bit of a fizzle out for the trip.

Then again, we're in France at the moment if that answers your question😉

On Utube there is a guy called "Chris Sloanes" who has completed several vids on travelling around Scotland in a VW camper van. Re NC500 he confirms that the west coast is more spectacular than the east coast is so go clockwise and do the east coast first. I have only driven the road up to Sky so can not confirm his thoughts. cheers,

Yes the west coast is more spectacular.  But there is nothing else to do but look at the scenery, so if its raining and misty so you can't see it you might as well not bother going.

Wheras there is still lots of stuff do do on the East coast in poor weather - like  Inverness and Aberdeen with their excellent botanic gardens (free admission and free parking nearby), Wick heritage museum and the Big Burn walk at Golspie.

If weather is good do the west coast first.  If not do the East coast first and hope weather improves.

Have been all over Scotland east and west plus the Islands.Worst thing ever to happen was promoting the NC500

You meet people that hav'nt got a clue how to negotiate the roads and dump their rubbish and waste.

As far as wild camping is concerned I think i'm right in saying it's not legal  but tolerated if given permission by the landowner. 

Just my opinion.

Edited by Grumpyman

Sadly I have to agree with Grumpyman. The infrastructure just hasn't been (and possibly cannot be) made to cope with the number of tourists. It's made worse by promotion of the belief that you can (in a vehicle)  wild camp at will which is not and never has been the legal position. Have seen a convoy of 25 sequentially stickered Italian Campervans set off line astern you can imagine the havoc they would have caused on single track roads, and scarcely a hired van without duck tape on the mirrors. 

• Haha 1

we went 2019 sept and oct, we did a mixture of wild and campsites, as you say out of the way, we had no bother, and did not book anything and always found space in campsites, we went clockwise west first to east  as long as you know the rules on single track roads we had no bother on that either, those months were definately quieter, I think they have now put a restriction on the applecross pass (pass of cows) but I'm not sure what (you will have to google that one) if you are on LPG (refillables the last fill is ullapool) none after that till dornoch but check that as well, we took a spare bottle and back fed it through the external BBQ point.

have a good trip and look on overnight spots on search for sites web page or app we found it invaluable

Jonathan

ps after covid though it might be rammed, but don't believe all you hear, we went orkney shetland may and june 2022 everyone said it was packed ....IT WASN'T lol😃

Edited by silverback
addad more info

On 1/11/2023 at 6:10 PM, ColinM50 said:

Secondly can we just wild camp in our m/h anywhere sensible

Yes you can in Scotland - but not in England.  You invariably find English law sides with the landowners who dominate the English government - England was about the last country to outlaw cowboy wheelclampers for example, and when they finally did they effectively gave private companies the power to levy fines on private citizens at which shares in parking companies soared.  Only in England.

I've never had a problem wild camping in Scotland.  The only hostilty I have found to wild camping is on this forum from other motorhomers.   

Come to think of it I haven't had a serious problem wildcamping in England.  My understanding is they have to get a court order to move us on, by which time we would be long gone anyway. 🙂

• Thanks 1

PS: forgot to mention Highland Council did once try it on in Scotland.

They put signs in laybys saying 'No Overnight Parking' with no legal backing (what exactly does it mean anyway?)  My Hero Andy Strangeway threatened to sue Highland Council claiming damages for going to park somewhere else when he could legally have stayed where he was.  Resulting in Highland Council removing the signs - although a few are still there because Highland Council don't know where all the signs are - they were just putting illegal signs up willy nilly, as some councils do.

This link provides NC500-related guidance

https://www.northcoast500.com/top-tips-hitting-route/motorhomes-and-campervan-advice/

My understanding has always been that "wild camping" came from the French term "camping sauvage" that was recognised (in France) as describing parking a motorhome somewhere it was illegal to do so but you could get away with if you were lucky. (I notice that the preferred term for Scotland is now "informal camping".)

Edited by Derek Uzzell

4 hours ago, John52 said:

Yes you can in Scotland - but not in England.  You invariably find English law sides with the landowners who dominate the English government - England was about the last country to outlaw cowboy wheelclampers for example, and when they finally did they effectively gave private companies the power to levy fines on private citizens at which shares in parking companies soared.  Only in England.

I've never had a problem wild camping in Scotland.  The only hostilty I have found to wild camping is on this forum from other motorhomers.   

Come to think of it I haven't had a serious problem wildcamping in England.  My understanding is they have to get a court order to move us on, by which time we would be long gone anyway. 🙂

Please John, can't you leave out the Political and Social commentary - everything you post contains some reference or other. It seems you just can't help yourself.

You've pretty much destroyed Chatterbox, so please don't drag Matters down the same path, and use this as your new political 'soapbox'

• Like 1

Is parking relevant to Motorhomes?

Yes

Is England the worst place in the world to park?

In my experience it is, and many others who have travelled extensively agree.  Thats why so many of us cross the channel to do our motorhoming.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/may/29/car-parking-spaces-wars-britain-worst

With the best will in the world, I don't think we can understand why, let alone bring about change, without looking at the reasons why.  Whether its political or not.

• Thanks 1

For example why is it the council, not the police, who care about motorhomes wildcamping overnight?

The police don't depend on getting votes from local nimbys to keep their job.  Councillors do.

Which explains why complaining to an English council about the lack of motorhome overnight parking doesn't get you very far.  You don't have a vote in that locality.  Campsite owners, Hotel owners and all the other Nimbys do.

• Thanks 1

But we do have some local support

One easter I was in Devon listening to Radio Devon phone in.  A landlord was complaining all his 5 holiday lets were empty over Easter whilst everyone seemed to be camping.

But another local guy phoned in saying 'let them camp.  Change your holiday lets over to much needed housing for local people'  

Edited by John52

3 hours ago, John52 said:

Is parking relevant to Motorhomes?

Yes

Is England the worst place in the world to park?

In my experience it is, and many others who have travelled extensively agree.  Thats why so many of us cross the channel to do our motorhoming.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/may/29/car-parking-spaces-wars-britain-worst

With the best will in the world, I don't think we can understand why, let alone bring about change, without looking at the reasons why.  Whether its political or not.

Colin was asking about the NC500 - not parking in England, or anything else you might have an opinion on.

If you want to debate Motor home parking in England, go on Chatterbox

2 hours ago, John52 said:

For example why is it the council, not the police, who care about motorhomes wildcamping overnight?

The police don't depend on getting votes from local nimbys to keep their job.  Councillors do.

Which explains why complaining to an English council about the lack of motorhome overnight parking doesn't get you very far.  You don't have a vote in that locality.  Campsite owners, Hotel owners and all the other Nimbys do.

Here you go again - you just can't help it. 

The subject is the NC500, and any advice on that matter 

Once again you turn it into some political rant.

Please stop, before you destroy Matters as you have Chatterbox.

Or perhaps it's because Chatterbox will no longer tolerate your favourite subjects for debate, you feel you have no other option than to vent your spleen on Matters.

Please stop - I'm sure there are plenty of Political forums you could join elsewhere on the 'net 

• 8 months later...

Hi, I'm a new member and stumbled upon this thread. We are planning to tour the UK, starting in the South West to Dartmoor and up to Scotland for the NC500 looking to find as many wild/free camping spots as possible. I found this article and have been using Park4Night app which has given us a rough start to a route. As we are planning to see as much as possible of Scotland, is there anywhere on the NC500 that we shouldn't miss?

Having seen it all I prefer the east coast section - better roads and fewer midges -- the road from England to Wick / Thurso via Inverness is my favourite road with lots of places to pull off and park easily.  Couple of weeks ago I drove right into Wick Harbour, parked at the end of one of the piers for a few hours enjoying the view, cooking a meal, and catching up with emails.  Nobody bothered me (I have a plain white van)  Drive down the coast road to the old castle and park for free on the shore. Done the same thing at places like Peterhead and Fraserburgh.  Nobody asks for any money (except Helmsdale where they request a voluntary donation in the RNLI box for motorhomes parking overnight.)  Where in England could you do that?

Park right outside the lovely botanic gardens at Inverness, Aberdeen, Glasgow - parking and entry all free, - Compare that with the robbing barstewards at Kew!!

(Edinburgh not so good though - Council have made it difficult to drive in to force people on to their trams so they can claim their trams are a great success)

PS: Opposite Inverness botanic gardens is the fabulous sports centre - warm swimming pool, jacuzzi and Sauna - £6 for visitors

But then Scotland can afford it because, at the risk of being accused of politics by stating another relevant motor-homing fact, UK Government Spending in Scotland is about £70 per person per week higher than in England 

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/record-41-billion-per-year-for-scotland-in-budget

Edited by John52

On 11/01/2023 at 18:10, ColinM50 said:

Can't decide between "back to France and then where?" or, for a change trying the NC 500. So, two questions please.

Firstly what's best, clockwise of anticlockwise? Some guides say there's fewer folk doing clockwise so the traffic's easier but ??

Secondly can we just wild camp in our m/h anywhere sensible or are there recommended campsites en route or restrictions?

By preference I think I'd like to do clockwise starting sort of Glasgow (ish) then finishing Edinburgh for the Tattoo. We went about twenty years ago and it was brill so would like a return trip.

Any advice chaps and chapesses?

TIA 

We were going to do the NC 500, but decided against it due to the size of our motorhome.

Instead we stumbled across the Motorhome and caravan magazine, highlighting what they call the SC 500. Starting out at Gretna Green, going round via Newton Stewart, Wigtown(Scotlands book town), Garliestone ( where they trialed the Mulberry Bridge for the D D landings), Whithorn, Largs and others. We went off piste a little, and went across to Dunoon, then round to Inveraray, Lochgilphead, on to Oban, round via Glen Coe. Superb roads, and still touring. Found some little sites on forestry land, where we wildcamped, ( only 2 motorhomes allowed @ £7/night, but must park 4 metres apart.) Jubilee Point on Lock Eck. Free camped around Largs down by the beach for a night. Still enjoying the countryside. Weather has turned a little, making our way back down via Annan water, Moffat and then back to a little motorhome aire at Gretna Green, where we started. Then home to Yorkshire.

Hope this gives you another idea/ route to try

Lots of history on this circular route, and allowed me to do a lot of fly fishing as well.

Edited by Thai Bry
  • Like 1