Silverscreen Covers.

Ninian

I had purchased the windscreen and bonnet covers from the above and used them for the first time over the winter past. Upon removing them I discovered that the surface of the cover had transferred itself to the bodywork of the van around the cab doors, wipers and down both sides of the windscreen. I contacted Silverscreen to report this and asked what the problem was, and got NO response as regards the fault, so it appears that they are not a very reputable or responsible company towards their customers. If you have their screens be warned do NOT use them in the winter otherwise you will end up with the same result. I informed them that I would be advertising their lack of response on various sites and on Facebook and still have had no contact from them.

IMG_0338-1.JPG

IMG_0340-1.JPG

IMG_0342-1.JPG

IMG_0335-1.JPG

IMG_0337-1.JPG

IMG_0350.JPG

Blimey that’s quite bad. I’ve had Silverscreens (the brand) before and have to say used them through some pretty cold, wet winters without experiencing this problem. However, companies sometimes change suppliers of materials and maybe this has happened. For the present motorhome I decided to buy insulated screens from Rainbow Screens who do a wide range of colours and designs and have found them to be a much better product.

David

This is what Polar Screens say in their ebay advert:

"Polar thermal screen covers are for use while the motorhome is being used, to eliminate condensation and keep the cab area warmer during the winter months, and cooler in the summer. Polar thermal screen covers are not designed for storage purposes, due to the material being waterproof. If the thermal screens are used for storage, water can sit underneath the screen cover and can cause issues with mould growth and staining if dirty water is trapped underneath."

I have fitted Silver Screens to my MH's all the time they are stored on my drive. My current storage pair are about 10 years old  with no problems. Perhaps it is a recent thing, change of material  or process etc.

Ray is right about Polar thermal screen covers. Mine were made to measure eight years ago when we changed vans and have been excellent. I can remember being told at the factory how to use the screens.

Prior to that, I had Taylor Made or five years which did the job well. As we use the vans in winter, the screens are on and off over winter.

It seems Ninian has not been given advice on using the product.

I have been using a Taylormade insulated screen cover for the last 10 years, including a couple of months permanently on the van in the back garden over winter with no issues. I am aware that they don't recommend their use when the van is not being used. Using it over winter can make the Velcro a bit mangy but Taylormade replaced that for a very reasonable fee.

David

I have been using Silver Screens ("SS") since 2003 albeit my last purchase was in 2012 (The screen is still in use) I last spoke to Michael Parker at SS in 2017 when he advised me that my 2012 screen would fit my new 2017 van so no need to replace. 

I think SS is a relatively small "cottage industry" and (unless there has been a change of staff or even ownership) Mr Parker would be 81. I have had no problems with his product. I am not sure how you contacted SS but I would try to speak to them. In the past I found Mr Parker dare I say a tad eccentric but he was efficient and very proud of his product. 

We bought our silver screens in 2010 and they are still perfect. We only use them when we are away in the motorhome and they are equally good for both hot and cold conditions.

They are not designed to be left on permanently and that is made quite clear on their website ...as Keithl posted above. 

I've said it before on a different thread ....one of our better purchases.

Jeremy

10 minutes ago, witzend said:

Mine are on the van parked on the drive all   the time its not in use never saw the bit about not doing it. They are 12 yrs old and still in good use able condition. 

I wonder then if the 'warning' is a more recent thing then, possibly caused by a change in material???

My previous Silverscreens were made from a different material and I had used them with no problems. But having used my current ones for the first time over the winter past with bad results, I was really shocked that the company had NO interest in offering a cause and just ignored the problem.

I'm trying to get it off with T-CUT without rubbing to hard. It's not completely coming off but it looks better that what it was. I'll probably have to look at a different substance to remove it completely.

Hi

Just a question, did you happen to wash your motorhome before removing your screens or in fact wash them when on the motorhome over the winter period 

Maybe washed before the winter period and maybe not fully dry from washing before fitting them?

It may,just may have caused a chemical reaction 

NO, the van wasn't washed. I put the covers straight on after I removed them from the storage bag. I've never washed the screens as soon as I remove them from the van they are put back into the bag. I'd only ever used them abroad to keep the heat out.

Archived