VED = Road Tax

lancepar

From 1st of April the road tax is going up for some vehicles following the the Spring Budget.

31st March, today is the last day it can be renewed at the old rate.

Won't affect everybody but i thought it was worth mentioning to save a few pounds

😎

14 hours ago, simians said:

£165 as was, for over 3500kg. Who said the government wasn't capable of making a sensible decision. Certainly not me.

Unless......April 1st tomorrow🤔

In a supposedly 'green' country, it's odd that the UK road tax for a 11-ton RV with gas-guzzling 5-litre engine should be continue to be £165, while the tax for a brand-new 3500kg motorhome with efficient Euro-6 2.2-litre motor should be £325.

I've always thought that - for motorhomes - the UK annual road tax should be calculated by dividing the vehicle Gross Weight by 10. So £350 for a 3500kg motorhome and £1100 for the RV.

38 minutes ago, Derek Uzzell said:

In a supposedly 'green' country, it's odd that the UK road tax for a 11-ton RV with gas-guzzling 5-litre engine should be continue to be £165, while the tax for a brand-new 3500kg motorhome with efficient Euro-6 2.2-litre motor should be £325.

I've always thought that - for motorhomes - the UK annual road tax should be calculated by dividing the vehicle Gross Weight by 10. So £350 for a 3500kg motorhome and £1100 for the RV.

I've always thought that the road tax should be abolished and the revenue derived from fuel tax so you automatically pay approximately by the size of the vehicle and the amount you use it

But the Government prefers to take tax from so many different places you don't realise how much it all adds up to

Or is that too political for here?

Much easier politically speaking for the incumbent government to tax via VED rather than at the pump, With VED they can pick and choose groups and increase duty as they see fit normally an annual occurrence, and soon forgotten. Raise the pump price by a few pence affects nigh on every consumer concurrently, resulting in a proportional outcry and backlash. And depressingly reminded every time they stop for a fill up, not, a smart re election move I reckon!

The only reason I can see why the > 3.5t anomaly exists, is due to relatively insignificant and ever decreasing numbers of such vehicles.

Classic vehicle status confers even less VED liability, as in zilch, that combined with perceived low mileage usage taken into consideration.  Typically the summer weekend, soft top down grey haired nostalgic brigade, guaranteed vote winner move there 🤔 

Long may such unfairness exist say I !

Archived