When are you too old to motorhome

Mickydripin

Hi everyone,

I am 79 next month and I have been told by SWMBO that I am too old to have another Motorhome even though I am on standby to run her around wherever she wants to go she would soon tell me if she thought that I was unsafe.

I have some medical problems First I have onset dementure and I take the usual tablets that you have to take when you reach my age. I was a HGV driver for over 30 years and have never had an accident through my 55 years of driving, people say that I look like I was not over the age of 60 and I feel as though I could go on to get the Kings telegram. (that is if you still get them Lol) I am not looking for a large van just a campervan to carry on with our travels for a bit longer as I hate sitting in the house and doing the shopping. We still go away abroad once or twice a year but I want more I want my motorhome back and I think that it would help me with my memory problems I read on MMM about Motorhomers giving up due to illness but I do not think I am there yet. 

What do you think

As far as I am concerned, you are never " too old " to do ANYTHING.

It's all down to health and physical condition.

So, everyone should carry on doing whatever they enjoy until they are no longer fit and well enough to enjoy it, and do it safely. 

🙂

1 hour ago, Mickydripin said:

Hi everyone,

I am 79 next month and I have been told by SWMBO that I am too old to have another Motorhome even though I am on standby to run her around wherever she wants to go she would soon tell me if she thought that I was unsafe.

I have some medical problems First I have onset dementure and I take the usual tablets that you have to take when you reach my age. I was a HGV driver for over 30 years and have never had an accident through my 55 years of driving, people say that I look like I was not over the age of 60 and I feel as though I could go on to get the Kings telegram. (that is if you still get them Lol) I am not looking for a large van just a campervan to carry on with our travels for a bit longer as I hate sitting in the house and doing the shopping. We still go away abroad once or twice a year but I want more I want my motorhome back and I think that it would help me with my memory problems I read on MMM about Motorhomers giving up due to illness but I do not think I am there yet. 

What do you think

I sometimes think those in charge of our society, have become more than a bit topsy turvy with their risk awareness, they'll happily allow psychopaths to roam the streets, yet as soon as someone shows the slightest hint of dementia they are assumed to need watching😶

So I think if you have the dosh and inclination go for it😎

I say that as a 65 year bloke who keeps opening the pantry door instead of the fridge😮 

Hi,

as an ex HGV driver I feel your pain. I don't miss the work but do like to get out and about. Dementia is a horrible thing and the longer you can carry on doing normal stuff the better. You want to keep active but maybe in a different way.

I had a look to see what DVLA says. You should report dementia. if I was you I'd be talking to my doctor and going from there regarding your license.

Good luck.

As others have said, Mike, it is less to do with age than with capability.

We retain our licences until we, or a medical practitioner, decide that we are unsafe to drive.  We had a neighbour a number of years back who, having recently retired, went off the France with his caravan.  At one of the motorway junctions in France he managed to join the motorway in the wrong direction, frightening his wife half to death!

He'd been behaving a bit oddly for a while, but this was the first sign that he was in real trouble.  We never heard the full details, so I can't elaborate.  But, up to that point he'd judged himself to be fine.  That is the problem.

These conditions creep up on us insidiously, and are easily confused with the kinds of things that seem normally to afflict (all/most) of us as we age, such as short term memory loss etc.

Then, when we are doing something more stressful, such as driving on the "wrong" side of the road, and especially when negotiating roundabouts, we make uncharacteristic errors.  In his case, when he'd come to terms with he'd actually done, he wisely accepted that he'd reached a turning point, and needed medical attention.  Shortly after, his driving licence was revoked, so their retirement plans were shredded.  Very sad, but extremely fortunate that his error didn't prove terminal for both of them, and possibly others.  It could so, so, easily have ben far worse than just a scare.

This subject reminds me of something I heard on the radio a couple of years ago.

I think it was Sir Robin Knox Johnson who said that when he reached 65 people ( " friends ?" ) told him that he should now put his feet up as he was now too old for sailing adventures.

At 68 he again sailed solo around the world - and at 75 he finished 3rd in his class in a solo transatlantic race.

🙂

Hi Mike,

30 years driving HGV accident free , wow.

Never say never , you will know yourself or when someone gives you good advice to. But never give up,

Stay in contact with those that you have met and made friends with over the years that love the hobby as you do.

Keep an interest in things and be safe 

Regards

Mike joined these forums in 2008 and his motorhome ownership voyage since then has sometimes been a rocky and very stressful road.

Like Mike I'm hovering on age 79. As the saying goes "Old age doesn't come alone" and at 79 it is commonplace for people in the UK to be 'taking tablets' to control (say) cholesterol levels or high blood pressure. I don't take tablets myself, but that's because my several age-related ailments cannot be treated in that way.

In late-2018 I was diagnosed with the eye condition keratopathy that, fortunately, had no negative impact on my eyesight. When my driving-licence was due for renewal in 2020 I reported that medical condition to the DVLA and (with COVID-19 in full swing) it took many months before a new licence was issued. I have just on-line renewed my driving-licence again and, as the DVLA had been made aware of the keratopathy in 2020 and I could confirm that the condition had not worsened, I received a new 3-year licence within a week.

Reaching age 79 generally means that a UK 'over-70' driving-licence will require renewal. Mike has not said whether he has already renewed his licence, nor whether his onset dementia has been reported to the DVLA. As mentioned above (and on the following link) the DVLA must be told about this condition

https://www.gov.uk/dementia-and-driving

and - if the DVLA is not yet aware that Mike has been diagnosed with dementia - once the DVLA has been informed, it may take a long time before a replacement licence is issued.

Assuming that the DVLA is aware of Mike's dementia and are comfortable that he should continue to drive, it needs to be asked whether Mike's wife's belief that obtaining another motorhome is not a good idea is simply based on Mike's age or more because of his health.

It is a very personal thing to decide when the time is right to stop motorhoming and, indeed, driving altogether. Dementia is a really distressing illness for all those involved but particularly for the person with it.

My older brother developed it a few years ago and for whom driving was a life passion. 25 years in the Royal Corps of Transport he could handle the biggest tank transporters anywhere in the world. Latterly he was a driving instructor at the army driver training school at Leconfield.

But when dementia came along his belief in his own driving capability overcame any suggestion by those around him that it may be time to give up driving even when small mistakes started to indicate that his mental agility was beginning to be impaired - and he continued to do so. Until, the inevitable happened and he was involved in an accident - which he couldn’t explain or recollect any of the details leading up to the crash. Fortunately, no one was injured though the car was a right off. His wife and family had to make the decision to stop him driving, something he came to resent after 60 years of happy marriage. He has since passed away.

The whole issue with dementia is that the person involved may well get to a point in the illness where they cannot make that decision about their own capabilities and they then become a danger to themselves and others. Yet it is only the individual or a medical doctor that can make the decision. Yes, DVLA can revoke a licence but have to be notified by one or the other in order to do so. 

Like others I believe she alone should not be a barrier to continue doing the things you love in life but, dementia is not about age it’s about gradually losing the mental capacity to do those things and, sadly, for those with the illness they also lose the mental judgement required to make the right decision.

David

Hi all thanks for your valid points.

my wife is my bigest critic and if she thought that I was unsafe to drive she would put her foot down and say enough is enough no more driving. Just before covid I was involved in an accident on a roundabout in great yarmouth and we were knocked about a bit so was the camper (sorry I said that I was accident free for all them years I should have said no blameworthy accidents) the insurance company said it was my fault I contested it and they then said they would go 50/50 I contested that and then I was contacted by an independant witness that saw everything only then the insurance company withdrew all blame and paid out in full. 

Mike

In your original posting you said "...I have been told by SWMBO that I am too old to have another Motorhome..." That is quite different to your wife telling you that you should stop driving altogether because she considers you to be an unsafe driver.

Assuming that the DVLA has been made aware of your dementia condition and you now have a driving-licence that will last until you are aged 82, you really need to have a heart-to-heart discussion with your wife about your dream of getting another camper and the reasons why she believes this would be a bad decision.

When making big decisions I work on the basis of whether the logic and my gut feel are in harmony. I'm thinking about giving up motorhoming by the time I'm 70.

Three things I take into account. Safety on the road and how I would feel if I had an accident that affected another person even if it is not my mistake. Money - do the costs over the time I will carry on motorhoming be affordable and best use of my resources. Alternatives to motorhoming, not sure what the answer to this.

Health and safety on the roads have improved thanks to the local hospital. My logic and gut feel is now that I can go beyond 70. Money would be enough for a 3 year old PVC.  I live in a location which has a good free bus service. Taxis are abundant and have a good reputation. A main train station is half an hour away by bus, has access to many services and I like riding on trains - and buses. However, the missus does not.

Overall, I haven't come to a decision but I have just over a year to decide. If I can't, I'll toll a coin rather than continue to ponder. Whatever way I decide, the important thing is to have a decision and make it work.

Go online and test the level of your driving skills against a few website DVLA Theory & Hazard Test replica challenges. Better still pay for a simulation full test download, or take the test for real £34, or so, the additional stress gives a little more kudos to a pass!

If you can't pass the Theory and Hazard Perception tests, then I would maintain this suggests self imposed exile from driving on the Kings Highway would be a good decision, even if otherwise fit and healthy. 

4 hours ago, Brock said:

When making big decisions I work on the basis of whether the logic and my gut feel are in harmony. I'm thinking about giving up motorhoming by the time I'm 70.

Three things I take into account. Safety on the road and how I would feel if I had an accident that affected another person even if it is not my mistake. Money - do the costs over the time I will carry on motorhoming be affordable and best use of my resources. Alternatives to motorhoming, not sure what the answer to this.

Health and safety on the roads have improved thanks to the local hospital. My logic and gut feel is now that I can go beyond 70. Money would be enough for a 3 year old PVC.  I live in a location which has a good free bus service. Taxis are abundant and have a good reputation. A main train station is half an hour away by bus, has access to many services and I like riding on trains - and buses. However, the missus does not.

Overall, I haven't come to a decision but I have just over a year to decide. If I can't, I'll toll a coin rather than continue to ponder. Whatever way I decide, the important thing is to have a decision and make it work.

Another option when you do reach seventy, is to put your decision off for a few more years.   🙂

When ascertaining fitness to drive possibly the most sensible and practical test to implement would be periodic repeats of the sight test, that is the ability to read a car registration plate @ 20m. Not a big deal. This basic ability has to be passed at driving test time then in many cases never repeated.

At 70 all a driver has to do is self declare.....as if🫣  C1 retention demands you at least pass this test, being hit by a 1800kg car at 70mph can probably hurt just as much as a 5000kg van at 35mph. All about votes, or rather the loss of votes innit.

Woke up the right side of the grass (74) remembered where I had left the keys found the right seat to sit in to drive, as when at home our van is in the garage at the bottom of the garden, with the rear garage door open I can see the numberplate from the house and its exactly 22 m away. We take care never to drive when tired, we can always get there tomorrow, and probably a bit more cautious all around. Whilst it is enjoyable at the moment we are never overconfident.

Never surrender! Started to build my own at late 70s, project in process! 

Because you are "old"  "they" think you are past it, an "old fart" doodle ally, you! more than likely have seen, done , been there,  done that , more than "they" the down graders have ever done., ever seen!

5 hours ago, simians said:

When ascertaining fitness to drive possibly the most sensible and practical test to implement would be periodic repeats of the sight test, that is the ability to read a car registration plate @ 20m. Not a big deal. This basic ability has to be passed at driving test time then in many cases never repeated.

At 70 all a driver has to do is self declare.....as if🫣  C1 retention demands you at least pass this test, being hit by a 1800kg car at 70mph can probably hurt just as much as a 5000kg van at 35mph. All about votes, or rather the loss of votes innit.

It's not just about votes of the elderly - it's about records of accidents. It's reported that older drivers are no more likely to have an accident than young ones - in fact the highest accident rate is among the youngest drivers.

Raising the age at which you can START driving may well reduce accidents significantly - but that would lose the young vote.   🙂

Do the young actually vote in any significant numbers that is ?

However it doesn't really address the point I'm making. Statistics will perhaps show for instance that men have more serious accidents than women, who in turn may have a less serious accident rates but more numerous. 🤨. But, but, but what cannot be disputed (except in exceptional instances) that eyesight deteriorates with age, and repeating the 20m number plate eyesight test, say every 5 or 10 years for every road user I would have thought a sensible realistically achievable requirement. However as it happens only the old codgers are asked to confirm meeting the standard or not, but only on the basis of a self assessment.  I certainly wouldn't rely on the honesty of +70 year olds. Or of any age come to that.  Being able to see clearly, surely is the primary sense involved in driving safely. 

Just reading about the road user most likely to be killed or injured

'Men are at particular risk, with those living in the most deprived postcodes nearly three times as likely to be casualties in road collisions as women. Motorcyclists remain at greatest risk, with elderly male pedestrians and secondary school age boys in poorer areas statistically the next most likely groups.'

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/apr/18/london-poorest-areas-higher-risk-of-traffic-death-injury-tfl

Relevant to motorhoming?

Well it could be if it means we are losing our road sense

Not a nice thought

But one that we should keep in the back of our minds to make us careful.

Archived