High idle speed

takajak

Hi there, I have a 2007 2.3 multijet Fiat Ducato, it has started to idle at 1250 revs after starting and also continues even once driven, it also has just come up with a red battery warning as if not charging vehicle battery, could this be related as both issues have occurred at same time.

cheers.

Yes almost certainly in my opinion.

Try measuring the voltage at the battery whilst the engine is running, you can connect your meter to the jump start posts under the bonnet if this is easier than accessing the starter battery. If the reading is lower than approx 14 Volts then try moving your black meter probe from the battery/jump start point to a clean metal part of the engine to rule out a failed engine to body ground strap.

If both readings are low then I think you are looking at a replacement alternator.

Keith.

I agree with Keith.

May I add that if a 2007 Ducato, or similar vehicle, has not had the engine earth strap changed, then change is perhaps overdue.  If I remember correctly Nick from Euroserve who operated a fleet of Ducatoes, recommended every 4 years.

Alan

3 hours ago, Derek Uzzell said:

Welcome to the Out&AboutLive forums.

(Just out of interest, are you based in Auckland, New Zealand?)

No, not in Auckland,  but  2 1/2 hrs drive south in a town named Tokoroa.

2 hours ago, Keithl said:

Yes almost certainly in my opinion.

Try measuring the voltage at the battery whilst the engine is running, you can connect your meter to the jump start posts under the bonnet if this is easier than accessing the starter battery. If the reading is lower than approx 14 Volts then try moving your black meter probe from the battery/jump start point to a clean metal part of the engine to rule out a failed engine to body ground strap.

If both readings are low then I think you are looking at a replacement alternator.

Keith.

Thanks Keith, I have a mate who's an auto sparky he will check out the voltage and earth strap for me tomorrow, hopefully not needing a new alternator!

1 hour ago, Alanb said:

I agree with Keith.

May I add that if a 2007 Ducato, or similar vehicle, has not had the engine earth strap changed, then change is perhaps overdue.  If I remember correctly Nick from Euroserve who operated a fleet of Ducatoes, recommended every 4 years.

Alan

Thanks Alan, i will have the earth strap checked out tomorrow, didn't realise they had such a short life span.

I had exactly the same issue on my previous '07 Hymer, albeit with 3.0 motor.

I would try all the above options/possibilities, but don't be too hasty with replacing the alternator - in my case it was just the regulator.

About £15 if I recall, and replaced in situ without too much difficulty - even on an A class.

I know of one Hymer owner [same year ironically] who is on his 3rd alternator regulator since purchasing from new.

We have a local Alternator refurb guy who reckons that on a good 30% of the units brought in for exchange, only ever have an issue with the actual regulator, and confesses it's a 'nice little earner' for him.

Hi

Check your earth strap and replace if necessary also check your air con if fitted, All belts and connections and wiring from alternator  

Check your fuses . Make sure none are blown

and as Globebuster recommends lastly check (or have checked) your Alternator Regulator

Regards 

Archived