Won’t start- new starter motor, new battery - electrical fault?

annaandbess

Hi, 

hoping for a steer- my Fiat Ducato 2.4 van chased with Bessacarr above won’t start.  Had new starter motor yesterday as that wasn't working and a new battery a week before thinking that was the issue - but Bess still won’t start!  Guy fitted SMotor yesterday said that the earth wire to the battery was super hot so he thinks there is an electrical fault.  He was only present to for SM.  I’m in Dorset and really want to know if there is anything I can test myself or try to find out what the issue is.  Put key in, turn and absolutely zero - no cough, no attempt to start - absolute silence!  

any help certainly appreciated.  Thank you.

anna.

Hi 

Of course you can,

Was the engine running prior to this?

Is the engine locked?

Ensure the engine free to turn, first 

Have you checked all your connections are correct and making sure that all contacts are good and wired correctly

Why not replace all earth wires (as they are the cause of many problems) 

Take it from there

Regards

5 hours ago, onecal said:

Hi 

Of course you can,

Was the engine running prior to this?

Is the engine locked?

Ensure the engine free to turn, first 

Have you checked all your connections are correct and making sure that all contacts are good and wired correctly

Why not replace all earth wires (as they are the cause of many problems) 

Take it from there

Regards

Engine ran fine - was jump starting for last 6 weeks because I ;stupidly didn’t have it running more than once over winter — so changed battery through ‘Shield’ a good battery dealer. 
Jump started on Tuesday last week.Wen to use it Thursday after battery delivered and fitted (all correctly done according to the mech. Who checked it when he did starter motor).  SMotor defo not working - mech.checked it when it was off the van before fitting the new Lucas one.  

engine not locked - had immobiliser company check that and it isn’t the sort that stop the engine (they finished before this was made). 
Engine not seized as was running perfectly well a week ago - once jump started… battery wasn’t charging even on a 30mile run….

what other kind of connections beyond the earth and the Live on the starter (new) battery?

is there a schematic for ‘all’ the earth wires? do I need to check all the fuses in the cabin?  Are they all located in that one place or are there others in /near the engine?  

Thanks so much. 
anna.

Hi anna 

Your original post stated you were looking for a steer

6 hours ago, annaandbess said:

hoping for a steer- my Fiat Ducato 2.4 van chased with Bessacarr above won’t start.  Had new starter motor yesterday as that wasn't working and a new battery a week before thinking that was the issue - but Bess still won’t start!  Guy fitted SMotor yesterday said that the earth wire to the battery was super hot so he thinks there is an electrical fault.  He was only present to for SM.  I’m in Dorset and really want to know if there is anything I can test myself or try to find out what the issue is.  Put key in, turn and absolutely zero - no cough, no attempt to start - absolute silence!  

any help certainly appreciated.  Thank you.

anna.

I have no idea how knowledgeable you are with DC and i have no idea of the history of the Motorhome to advise

You but you asked for a steer and that I have done.

1 Hence why I asked was the engine locked and checked now if it turns over freely

2 Have you checked all the connections that have been disturbed and are the connected correctly and tight?

3 That all earth straps are in good condition ? (Replace if not sure )

These are the basics you need to check first and then move on  

If you are unsure how to carry out these basic steps as one would never need a schematic for the earth wires as the are visible

As you now also say it also was not charging? 

4 The wiring from the alternator needs to be checked for damage and the alternator itself checked  

I would advise you seek the help of a professional if you are not familiar with Auto DC electrics 

Jump starting the Fiat Ducato and/ or letting the starter battery run down can cause issues with the van electronics.

Check the fuses on the starter battery as suggested,  the brown/grey CAL 4/5 fuse feeds the starter  motor and alternator.  The midi/ maxi fuses feed the van electrical systems. There is a further fuse in the engine compartment that feeds the starter solenoid

A common fault on the Ducato  is a partial failure of the earth strap between  gearbox and chassis. The quick release connection on the battery negative post needs checking.

Hot wires are not good news, your vehicle could burn to ashes.  Any competent mechanic fitting a starter motor should verify the electrical reverent  circuits  are functioning correctly. 

If the van electrics work, light's, heater, and the dash lights up, but no starter activity,  then its possible the CAL fuse has failed..

Mike

Hi

The danger here if Anna has no experience of DC electrics, may actually cause more damage and as MikeF has indicated a fire would be a big concern.

She did say she just wanted a steer , and the basic checks have been provided 

Professional help is needed  without DC electrical knowledge to replace any damaged components 

Regards

On 5/16/2023 at 5:18 PM, annaandbess said:

It is 2013

2.3999 litre engine (2.4) fiat ducato maxi

E495 is the model.  So sorry I didn’t think to check and insert these in the original question.

22500 miles on clock - lightly used I guess… but 10 yes old. 

Anna

A fine-detail point about your motorhome's engine - it won't have a capacity of 2.3999 litres.

In 2013 Fiat Ducato vehicles were available with the following engine range, all called "Multijet" by Fiat.

1: 115 Multijet - 1956cc (2.0litre) that was rare in the UK and best for small lightweight Ducato panel vans.

2: 180 Multijet - 2999cc (3.0litre) that tended to be fitted as standard only to really large heavyweight motorhomes.

3: 130 Multijet - 2287cc (2.3litre) that was fitted as standard to most UK-built motorhomes.

4: 150 Multijet - 2287cc (2.3litre) that was a more powerful version of the 130MJ and commonly offered as an extra-cost option alternative to that power-plant.

The Bessacarr E495 model is a fairly large, quite heavy design and on-line adverts (example on following link) indicate that it was built on a Ducato 'Maxi' chassis with the standard motor being the 130MJ.

http://www.moranmotorhomes.co.uk/motorhome_information/492575aa06ab3/Bessacarr-E495

I don't know where you obtained the 2.3999 litre figure from (your motorhome's V5C registration document perhaps?) but the likelihood is that your E495 has a 130MJ 2.3litre motor. However, I'm not sure how easy it would be for you to confirm this.

If there is an under-bonnet data-plate for the motor, that plate should carry the following identifying information.

IVECO F1AE3481D - indicating the 130MJ motor

IVECO F1AE3481E - indicating the 150MJ motor

IVECO F1CE3481E - indicating the 180MJ motor

Identifying data are also stamped into the motor's crankcase, but may not be easy to read.

Although the 180MJ is visually significantly different from the 130MJ and 150MJ, the 130MJ and 150MJ look quite similar.

Archived