Motorhome bedding in engine

Roy stone

For the first 1000 miles it’s suggested you keep below 3000 rpm and to reach 3000 rpm regularly during the 1000 miles. 
don’t forget they are based on workhorses and the engines do need to work to keep them from sooting up after the run in period. 
with all our new vehicles, Ford , merc, Renault and Fiat I personally run them in and all achieve big mileages 600,000 is not uncommon. 
we now only use premium fuels using mainly Shell and very occasionally we tank up with the shell V-Power. 
good luck with your new MH and enjoy. 
we pick our new one up soon. 
first run will run it in with a trip to Spain via the tunnel booked. 
den 

22 hours ago, Roy stone said:

Hi gents I am about to take collection of a new hobby motorhome ge65 .Do I need to run in the engine or drive at normal speeds many thanks

If you don't yet have the Fiat Ducato owner handbook for your new Hobby motorhome, this is available on-line from here

https://aftersales.fiat.com/elum/Home.aspx?languageID=2

Click on the "FIAT PROFESSIONAL" badge, then on the image titled "DUCATO MCA S8 (MY21), then select year 2023 and select month JUNE. That should get you the most comprehensive owner handbook, whereas choosing "DUCATO FOR RVS S8 (MY21)" and 2023/JUNE will provide a smaller 'Quick Guide" and a batch of 6 videos.

There is no running-in guidance in the Ducato handbooks, but - as DEN has advised - it would be wise to be kind to the motor during the first 1000 miles. It is also sensible to be particularly careful for the first 100 miles or so until the tyres have lost their 'shine' and the brake rotors have gained theirs.

Treat it like a first date, start off slowly don’t expect too much, don’t let it labour or it will moan feed regular with oil and water if needed  Make sure wheels are pumped up, nuts are tight, don’t let idle when cold and slow down gently. Best of all enjoy!!

Hi

almost all new engines are bench "run in" at the factory

But you need to be careful of all components on the vehicle when new and maybe left sitting there for awhile to let them as you say "run in" Yes this does include new tyres etc'

On the engine front , for the first 1000 miles

Avoid cruse control,,,,,operate the engine at different RPM but don't red line

Use your gears ,,,,,, shift down in time and up when revs are up (again do not red line)

Keep an eye on your oil/water levels ,,,,,,,and all fluid levels 

I think weldted has put it very well lol 

and of course the main thing is to enjoy

May I wish you the best of luck and many happy years of Motoring 

Regards

I thought running a "engine in" was something we did in the olden days..........Progress eh?😏

Personally with my camper I know if it's not leaking oil.......it means it's empty🤣.......

Better still it can be fixed with a hammer not a computer😎

Edited by Barry Lineker

13 hours ago, Barry Lineker said:

I thought running a "engine in" was something we did in the olden days..........Progress eh?😏

True, despite the replies above 'running in' is pretty much a thing of the past, in fact if you where to 'run in' a modern engine like the old jalopies it wouldn't do the engine much good at all. 

I don't think so one still needs to take care with any new engine and it's far from "a think of the past" to be honest especially for the first 1000 miles or so, even if the are bench run in 

These recommendations are always wise to adhere to with a new engine 

Avoid cruse control,,,,,operate the engine at different RPM but don't red line

Use your gears ,,,,,, shift down in time and up when revs are up (again do not red line)

Keep an eye on your oil/water levels ,,,,,,,and all fluid levels 

And as in any new vehicle also don't forget to run in those new Brakes and Tyres 

Regards

Edited by onecal

There is plenty of on-line comment about 'bedding/breaking/running in' - GOOGLE-search on do car engines still need to be run in

As an example BMW advises as follows

The right way to break in a new car

Many drivers wonder whether breaking in a new car is still necessary or if this practice has been superseded with the advances in technology. The answer? Yes and no...

Doing an engine break-in used to be a standard procedure with new cars. And it’s still the case that you should avoid running the engine at high RPM for the first 1,300 miles. Experts recommend a maximum 3,500 rpm and 90 mph in diesel models and 4,500 rpm and 100 mph in petrol models.

This will give the engine and transmission sufficient time to adjust to each other. Once you’ve reached the 1,300-mile mark, you can gradually increase your speed and your engine’s RPM. In particular, avoid to put too much strain on a cold engine. However, that’s true not just when breaking in a new car but for the whole life cycle of your car. Likewise, never turn off an engine that has been running hard. Allow it to cool down by driving a few miles at a gentle pace.

During the new car break-in period, take note of the following tips:

• For the first 200 miles, new tyres will not yet provide full grip. This is because a release lubricant used in the manufacturing process has to be worn away from the tire surface. Adjust your driving accordingly to prevent accidents.
  • Similarly, the brakes won’t become fully effective for the first 300 miles as the brake pads and discs will need to adjust to one other. You should therefore drive cautiously.
  • The shock absorbers and springs will also need some time to become fully effective. That’s why you should not push your new car to its limits during the first 1,000 miles or so.

While many engine break-in tips also apply to modern engines, one compulsory rule for new cars has disappeared, as it’s no longer necessary to change the engine oil after the first 1,000 miles. You should, however, also keep these break-in practices in mind when replacing individual components later on.

[quote]Doing an engine break-in used to be a standard procedure with new cars. And it’s still the case that you should avoid running the engine at high RPM for the first 1,300 miles. Experts recommend a maximum 3,500 rpm and 90 mph in diesel models and 4,500 rpm and 100 mph in petrol models. [/quote]

So drive it as normal then.

Edited by colin

Sadly a lot don't give it that little bit of extra care and drive them like they stole them 

All one has to do, is drive on the motorway and see some of the high speeds many a newly reg' vehicles is been driven at, (Italian tune up, not needed on a new engine, lol )

It's your new Motorhome so it pays to take care of it 

Regards

On 6/10/2023 at 9:56 AM, colin said:

True, despite the replies above 'running in' is pretty much a thing of the past, in fact if you where to 'run in' a modern engine like the old jalopies it wouldn't do the engine much good at all. 

I cant imagine many commercial vehicle engines are ever run in?

But at least my old jalopie will never suffer from a blocked DPF, or stolen Catalytic converter etc etc.......or worst of all...... the computer saying NO🤣

21 minutes ago, onecal said:

Maybe ,

But we are talking about Motorhomes and if It's your new Motorhome it pays to take care of it 

There is a different school of thought, based upon years of seeing the same problems cropping up on forums with motorhome base vehicles.........Is that because they are so little used, that it causes many of the problems that rarely appear in a normally well thrashed comercial vehicle.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/11/2023 at 8:46 AM, Derek Uzzell said:

As an example BMW advises as follows........

never turn off an engine that has been running hard. Allow it to cool down by driving a few miles at a gentle pace.

I think thats important when you get to the top of a hill and stop to admire the view.  The turbo blades can be red hot and conduct heat through to the bearings and do damage if the oil is not still flowing to cool them.  So I let the engine tick over for about a minute - just to keep the oil flowing until the temperature stabilises.

But to ask people to carry on and drive a few extra miles every time seems as unrealistic to me as Fiat's assertion you shouldn't fit a secondary battery thats more than 20% of the capacity as the main battery 

Just letting the engine tick over for a minute before turning off after it had been working hard is what it used to advise in the drivers handbook for the Volvo/Scania lorries I drove.  No mention of driving further.

I've thought about this, but sill can't see why its necessary to 'drive a few miles at a gentle pace'. 

Just letting the engine tick over will keep the oil and coolant flowing till the temperature stabilises.

Driving is just going to produce more heat?

Edited by John52

6 hours ago, John52 said:

Just letting the engine tick over for a minute before turning off after it had been working hard is what it used to advise in the drivers handbook for the Volvo/Scania lorries I drove.  No mention of driving further.

I've thought about this, but sill can't see why its necessary to 'drive a few miles at a gentle pace'. 

Just letting the engine tick over will keep the oil and coolant flowing till the temperature stabilises.

Driving is just going to produce more heat?

My first Turbo diesel was a Citroen XM and it was advised to leave the engine on tick over for a minute or so before turning off. I have also done it on all future turbo diesels I have owned. I also remember some advise given to me donkeys years ago by a Frenchman. " If you drive at eg 120kph for a few hours, every 30 minutes or so, clutch in, foot off throttle, and let oil return to sump for a few seconds" I assume the benefit is that there is no "memory effect" in where the oil is in the engine and it allows the oil to redistribute?

Always done that as well? 

Jeremy

1 hour ago, laimeduck said:

I also remember some advise given to me donkeys years ago by a Frenchman. " If you drive at eg 120kph for a few hours, every 30 minutes or so, clutch in, foot off throttle, and let oil return to sump for a few seconds" I assume the benefit is that there is no "memory effect" in where the oil is in the engine and it allows the oil to redistribute?

Always done that as well? 

Jeremy

I've not heard that one before

I think its because the oil is a coolant as well as a lubricant, and it spreads the heat around the engine whilst its circulating.  So keeping the oil and water flowing for a minute after its been working hard spreads the heat around, to avoid hot spots that can do damage.  Particularly the turbo bearings and seals, and the cylinder walls which could boil the water in the cylinder jackets if its not flowing.

I can see no reason why you need to drive to do that, the oil and water is circulating whilst the engine is ticking over.