Coming to a motorway/road near you soon, apparently.

GandJP

According to a Facebook item I saw today this is coming our way. not sure its true or not or even in this country but I thought it of interest here.

The text stated "Can anyone confirm the functions of this camera? This was seen in Edinburgh yesterday…..seemingly it tests vehicle emissions as they go past with a near 99% efficiency rate and no need to calibrate. It also seemingly detects speed, acceleration, anpr and is rumoured to have mobile phone and seatbelt detection on the way. Basically if your drive past this and fart then you’re getting 3 points and £100 fine through the door".

361657081_676517431185643_5406417114703191871_n.jpg

Mmmm…. After 2030 they may be redundant if the only fossil fuel burning vehicles left on the road will be old ones anyway. And by that time we may be paying road tax on our shiny new electric vehicles so no need for the extra income they may generate.

David

Well then ....if you can spot one, turn engine and mobile off and drift through in neutral with both hands on the wheel while looking straight ahead ... just like we did when the silencer box fell off the exhaust in Calais at the start of our 2 week holiday to Spain .... a long time ago. It was strapped on the roof rack as evidence?

Jeremy

Driving with engine off is illegal so they can get you for that using the same device 😉

Honestly though...finally. Just surprised this is in UK where you don't have that much of a problem with every garage mechanic/tuner advertising DPF/EGR "delete" to get some more power. Or rusty old buckets with obviously visible clouds of smoke (and numerous other problems) still passing the MOT and everyone turning the blind eye.

19 hours ago, laimeduck said:

Well then ....if you can spot one, turn engine and mobile off and drift through in neutral with both hands on the wheel while looking straight ahead ... just like we did when the silencer box fell off the exhaust in Calais at the start of our 2 week holiday to Spain .... a long time ago. It was strapped on the roof rack as evidence?

Jeremy

Well, if we have to stop using our older vans we can always go on holiday in cruise ships, or fly away to distant parts on a package holiday.

🙂

3 hours ago, Alanb said:

Our property is surrounded by arable farming operations.  I could use one of those cameras to monitor agricultural tractors, combine harvesters, and crop sprayers, working in adjacent fields.

Not to mention bovine emissions…..

David

I really can't see this being accurate enough to dish out fines.

Not that it would stop the English Government doing so

Then when someone like my hero Andy Strangeway taking them to court and disproving it,

having to pay all the fines back.

Hi,

It's extremely accurate EDAR’s technology collects vehicle emissions data on various gases such as

CO, CO2, NO, NO2, NOx, HC and PM.

Additionally, EDAR provides increased sensitivity, in some cases of over 2,000%, and resolutions of a million times greater than existing technologies in use at present. AR’s technology collects vehicle emissions data on various gases such as CO, CO2, NO, NO2, HC and PM. Additionally, EDAR provides increased sensitivity, in some cases of over 2,000%, and resolutions of a million times greater than existing technologies in use today

2 hours ago, onecal said:

Hi,

It's extremely accurate EDAR’s technology collects vehicle emissions data on various gases such as

CO, CO2, NO, NO2, NOx, HC and PM.

Additionally, EDAR provides increased sensitivity, in some cases of over 2,000%, and resolutions of a million times greater than existing technologies in use at present. AR’s technology collects vehicle emissions data on various gases such as CO, CO2, NO, NO2, HC and PM. Additionally, EDAR provides increased sensitivity, in some cases of over 2,000%, and resolutions of a million times greater than existing technologies in use today

That looks like a paragraph written by AI.

🙂

Do we really want, or need, big brother putting us under more covert surveillance? They can already know more or less where you are by tracking your mobile, and who you are, using face recognition, and where your vehicle is from the average numberplate reading average speed cameras and where you use your credit/bank card. Now they want to  analyse your vehicles f***s!!!

Tooooooo much!

Jeremy

13 minutes ago, colin said:

If it does as Onecal has posted and fines are issued then several manufacturers will be overwhelmed by legal cases.

Wohnmobile im Abgas-Test: NOx-Ausstoß von Ducato & Co. | promobil

If a fine is issued I wonder what the owner of the vehicle can do to prevent further fines. If the vehicle passes the MOT then what else is left at their disposal?

18 hours ago, rayc said:

If a fine is issued I wonder what the owner of the vehicle can do to prevent further fines. If the vehicle passes the MOT then what else is left at their disposal?

The Mayor of Londons solution is that everyone should buy a new ( or newer ) car, or van or lorry - or , presumably, move their home or business out of Greater London. ( before the end of August ).

😊

2 hours ago, malc d said:

The Mayor of Londons solution is that everyone should buy a new ( or newer ) car, or van or lorry - or , presumably, move their home or business out of Greater London. ( before the end of August ).

😊

To be fair, Khan was apparently doing it under pressure from Grant Schapps 

https://www.carshaltonandwallingtonlabour.co.uk/homepage/petition-on-ulez-fund-tfl-from-government-not-from-motorists/

https://www.onlondon.co.uk/letter-from-grant-shapps-shows-that-government-proposed-enlarging-london-congestion-charge-zone/

Apparently its OK for the right wing media to blame Khan because its unpopular

Johnson, of course, changed the subject when confronted with the facts

Now I suppose I will be accused of being political for pointing that out?

5 hours ago, John52 said:

To be fair, Khan was apparently doing it under pressure from Grant Schapps 

https://www.carshaltonandwallingtonlabour.co.uk/homepage/petition-on-ulez-fund-tfl-from-government-not-from-motorists/

https://www.onlondon.co.uk/letter-from-grant-shapps-shows-that-government-proposed-enlarging-london-congestion-charge-zone/

Apparently its OK for the right wing media to blame Khan because its unpopular

Johnson, of course, changed the subject when confronted with the facts

Now I suppose I will be accused of being political for pointing that out?

I think you will find that the links you provided refer to the earlier expansion of ULEZ out to the North and South Circular roads - NOT the next massive expansion out as far ( in most places ) as the M25.

That is down to Khan, and he still seems extremely pleased with the idea - and is reported today as having no intention of reversing it.

In this instance it seems, Michael Green / Grant Shapps is not involved.

🙂

Archived