Ferries to get me to Sweden

BIFFO

Hi.

not long returned from Sweden. Lovely country and will return next year.

we took train across then two nights three days through Belgium, Germany, then ferry Puttgarden to Rodby, and over the bridge to Malmo. About 2 and half days driving. Found a couple of good stops enroute where we could walk so it wasn’t full days driving. Try and get through Germany over a weekend so fewer lorries.

have a good trip

peter

49 minutes ago, Solwaybuggier said:

When we looked at it several years ago, the cost of the bridges (Oresund & Storaebelt) was a major disincentive.  We were over 3500kg at that time - not so bad if you’re not classed as HGV.

On the two bridges, the length also counts, above and below six metres.

From memory above six costs exactly twice as much.

However, even on ferries it counts.

It's some time now since we last went to Sweden, and the travel arrangements I posted in a trip report on here have most definitely changed, so I won't link to it.

However:

The nearest you're going to get by ferry now is either Harwich-Hook of Holland (which we find a decent crossing, and about the most cost-effective - out overnight with a cabin, back on the day crossing, or Newcastle Ijmuiden, which we've never used). There is also still Hull-Rotterdam, but the Harwich-Hook crossing which drops you in a similar location trumps that in our opinion.

The bridges are expensive, though various pre-arrangements can defray the cost, they do change from time-to-time. If you're happy to bypass Denmark, using the TT-Lines ferry from Germany, either Travemünde (generally cheaper) or Rostock to Trelleborg, can be both convenient and cost-effective (particularly if one of their "camper" offers is available at your desired time). I dismissed this option when we went, on the basis that departure/arrival times in Sweden were not particularly attractive. Then I discovered the Ställplats adjacent to the ferry at Trelleborg (when we called in the nearby supermarket). It's not particularly scenic, but it is functional and very convenient for late arrivals/early departures. (If it's still functioning, the one at Smygehuk about 10 miles away is considerably more scenic). There's a choice of official overnight places near the ports at Rostock and  Travemünde.

We went Finnlines in 2019 from Travemünde to Malmo.  About £100 each way which included two on board meals on the nine hour crossing.   Mainly freight, and van was parked on the same deck as public area and free EHU.  Overnighted night before in stellplatz at IKEA in Lubeck (great, walkable city, especially if keen on marzipan!!).  

Edited by derek500

Started out at Calais , into Holland then Germany On our route to Norway we drove to Putgagarten  Germany,  queued half an hour for the ferry to Denmark, drove through  Denmark, took us 9 days, and got a ferry to Sweden , from the top of  DENMARK  then drove through Sweden  into Norway at GRONG fantastic trip, came back VIA the Oresund bridge, the cost of the bridge  equaled  the cost of the 2 ferries used, We wild camped and Aires the whole time away with no problems at all . Did not book anything in advance just winged it  plenty of Ferries , just wait for the next one to come in .

I would agree the Oresund bridge is not cheap but we travel with two labradors and try to avoid long ferry crossings where they have to go in a kennel.

this sept we take ferry to Shetland but, from Orkney, it’s only 7 hours and they will happily sleep in the van for that time ( labradors sleep anyway).

used puttgarden ferry a few times over the years,  a very slick system, book on line night before, flash your bar code, and drive on.

Peter

OH…………. Back to drawing board. Think I was spoiled by Newcastle to Kristiansand in Norway many years ago. Simply ferried from Belfast to Cairnryan and doddled across to Newcastle. 
Anyway. Thanks for all your info. Appreciate it. Biffo. 👍👋🇮🇪