Resealing roof skylights

tringy

53 minutes ago, thebishbus said:

My recommendation would be " Ever Build Stixall "

Brian B.

All very well as long as you never want to remove it again!

My preference would be a caravan specific sealant and NOT an adhesive, eg Hodgson SeamSeal CV.

Keith.

This type of question comes up quite often on motorhome forums (GOOGLE on best adhesive for resealing motorhome rooflight ) and there's a longish O&AL forum thread here. (It's 2017 vintage, so some of the links may no longer work.)

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/topic/41230-sealant-for-the-roof/

One thing's for sure, if (as Keithl has warned) a high-strength construction adhesive/sealant is used and the rooflight has to be removed subsequently, it may be a major task to get it off without damage.

Received wisdom is that it's better to use a non-setting mastic on which the rooflight can be 'bedded' and - for a tidy/waterproof finish - then run a smoothed bead of something like Sikaflex-512 around the rooflight's perimeter.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Keithl said:

All very well as long as you never want to remove it again!

My preference would be a caravan specific sealant and NOT an adhesive, eg Hodgson SeamSeal CV.

Keith.

Not sure that I agree with that Keith? Everbuild Stixall is a Sikaflex product which I have used extensively on my Benimar. A very thin bead around windows using a low adhesive masking tape, and also on the roof to replace old Sikaflex 512, .... and to seal my Fiamma awning mounting bracket holes. I find it much easier to work with than SikaFlex and the clear version doesn't go black and unsightly.

It is really quite easy to remove with a sharp blade and/or a plastic scraper.

Jeremy

3 minutes ago, laimeduck said:

Everbuild Stixall is a Sikaflex product which I have used extensively on my Benimar. A very thin bead around windows using a low adhesive masking tape, and also on the roof to replace old Sikaflex 512

But Tringy did say he wanted to remove and refit the skylight so I think he would be using more than a 'very thin bead' around the skylight?

I used Plumbers Mait non setting mastic to seal the roof fan and wi-fi aerials on my X2/50 in 2009 and its never leaked a drop.

Non setting mastic we rely on to stop our toilets leaking out the back.  Since we trust it to stop sewage coming through the ceiling why would we not trust it with rainwater?

In cold weather you can put the tub in the microwave to soften it up - but only for  a few seconds or it gets too soft and sticky.

It is cracking a bit round the surface due to sunlight - Its designed to go in the back of toilets to seal the waste pipe where it doesn't get a lot of sunlight  But since it hasn't leaked, the stuff in the joint protected from sunlight must bed ok.  So it might be worth putting a thin coating of something more sunlight resistant over it as Derek and Onecal suggest, 

But some people can't think outside the box.  They say you have to use the O/E type product even when the O/E type product hasn't worked

Edited by John52