Mice in brand new motorhome not actually paid for it yet

Mags B

Hi We purchased a van at the NEC last February and are arranging delivery date now.  The dealer wanted us to view the van before adding some extras on for us.  When we looked at it there was a lot of mouse droppings in the bathroom which they advised us not to worry about as there is no food in the van so they will not have stayed.  We are more worried about any damage to pipes and wires etc.  I am going to ask for a full habitation report to advise on any damage.  I am aware that most insurances policies do not cover damage from rodents.  Any advice on what we should do?

Regardless of food they would have looked elsewhere ie wires inside upholstery and their wee stinks to high heaven. 
me personally and I know you’ve waited ages for your new toy, I’d seriously consider your options. 

• Like 1

Mags

The dealer is talking rubbish. Mice don't necessarily enter a structure for food, they also need shelter. So ... they enter places where there is no food!

IF there is a source of food nearby,  then then they might remain in the structure and eat out!

I would take the dealer to task and ask him to prove that the van is clear of mice by having an expert of your choice examine and test bait the vehicle. Obviously ...At the dealers expense!

• Like 1

Mags,

Are you a member of any organisation like AA. RAC, C&CC, C&MC, etc? If so it may be worth seeking legal advice as to what happens if you find problems in the future directly attributable to this infestation. Assuming of course you do accept the MH.

I would also want a report from a licensed pest control expert confirming that there is no continuing infestation and from an independent MH examiner confirming the same, maybe a member of MCEA https://www.mobilecaravanengineers.co.uk/  And at the selling dealers expense as already stated.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, onecal said:

Hi 

They adore soy based wiring, if fitted to your new motorhome. With costly consequences 

Regards

Mouse wire breaker .jpg

OneCal you keep banging on about this.... there is no proof that I can find, nor in my 50 odd years of experience,  that Soy based wiring covers are any more susceptible to rodent damage than other oil/plastic based covers. They have been chewing wires since wires were first invented!

Ford have been using soy based seat cushions foam since 2010 and lots of other bioplastics are used in floor liners, vent louvres etc.

Not many reports about those being chewed?

They chew to keep their teeth short so they'll chew anything and everything. It's a texture thing more that what the thing they are chewing on is made of. In the wild they chew cob nuts, hazel nuts, beech masts, - in vehicles they chew wood, plastic covered wires. In industry and homes they chew food packaging, foam insulation, loft Insulation. I have even seen rats chew through md steel kick plates at the bottom of a door in a flour mill. 

They do not eat what they chew so what it is made of is neither here nor there. 

I really do not think it is very helpful to keep re-iterating this merely anecdotal story without definite proof.

Jeremy

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, laimeduck said:

OneCal you keep banging on about this.... there is no proof that I can find, nor in my 50 odd years of experience,  that Soy based wiring covers are any more susceptible to rodent damage than other oil/plastic based covers. They have been chewing wires since wires were first invented!

Ford have been using soy based seat cushions foam since 2010 and lots of other bioplastics are used in floor liners, vent louvres etc.

Not many reports about those being chewed?

They chew to keep their teeth short so they'll chew anything and everything. It's a texture thing more that what the thing they are chewing on is made of. In the wild they chew cob nuts, hazel nuts, beech masts, - in vehicles they chew wood, plastic covered wires. In industry and homes they chew food packaging, foam insulation, loft Insulation. I have even seen rats chew through md steel kick plates at the bottom of a door in a flour mill. 

They do not eat what they chew so what it is made of is neither here nor there. 

I really do not think it is very helpful to keep re-iterating this merely anecdotal story without definite proof.

Jeremy

Waste of time asking onecal for evidence, let alone proof, of his assertions

He will just keep repeating them till Derek freezes the thread

eg;

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/topic/63997-second-hand-ad-blue/#comment-715170

Hi 

I know they have and they do , but you tell that to those who own vehicles that have  soy based wiring in their vehicles that have been damaged by rodents by them eating the wiring of such vehicles . It's much more common I think all those that have been affected if it is proof if you are looking for that there are many article on same ,if you wish to look. I have to deal with the proof in front of me when I have to repair the issue Older wiring never had such as big an issue but yes of course been damaged as well from rodents keeping their teeth short so as they can survive  . Why is it much more prevalent with vehicles parked side by side and they destroy the vehicles wiring with the soy covering and sometimes leave the others untouched or with so much less damage . I have seen this often, so that proof in itself is proof enough for me, and indeed others that have been affected I am not just quoting from other sites or what I read , I am quoting what I come across that I have to repair. Again my comment was ......

2 hours ago, onecal said:

Hi 

They adore soy based wiring, if fitted to your new motorhome. With costly consequences 

Regards

Mouse wire breaker .jpg

Regards

Hi MagsB 

I hope all goes Ok for you . If you are not happy with your purchase, make it known again to the dealer You have been given very good advice here from others.  Who knows the dealer may be more helpful than you think with your new motorhome and at least have it fully checked by a MCEA member at no cost to you.  

Best of luck with it and let us know how you get on . Hopefully no damage may have occurred. but if it has lets see what the dealer may offer 

Again hope all goes well 

Brendan 

Edited by onecal

2 hours ago, onecal said:

Hi 

I know they have and they do , but you tell that to those who own vehicles that have  soy based wiring in their vehicles that have been damaged by rodents by them eating the wiring of such vehicles . It's much more common I think all those that have been affected if it is proof if you are looking for that there are many article on same ,if you wish to look. I have to deal with the proof in front of me when I have to repair the issue Older wiring never had such as big an issue but yes of course been damaged as well from rodents keeping their teeth short so as they can survive  . Why is it much more prevalent with vehicles parked side by side and they destroy the vehicles wiring with the soy covering and sometimes leave the others untouched or with so much less damage . I have seen this often, so that proof in itself is proof enough for me, and indeed others that have been affected I am not just quoting from other sites or what I read , I am quoting what I come across that I have to repair. Again my comment was ......

Regards

I am very sorry Onecal but I will also repeat ... I do not think it is very helpful to simply repeat anecdotal stories that have not one iota of scientific evidence to support them.

Edited by laimeduck
  • Like 1

In the United States there have been 'class' actions against Honda, Toyota and Hyundai/Kia, claiming that the soy-based insulation chosen for their cars' electrical wiring was particularly attractive to rodents. All of those actions were dismissed for lack of evidence.

This December 2021 article relates.

https://www.torquenews.com/1083/car-talk-helps-bust-myth-soy-why-rodents-are-eating-your-car-s-wires

Evidently vehicle manufacturers switched en masse to soy-based wiring insulation around Year 2000, so any wiring--insulation-related rodent damage caused to vehicles built after 2000 will involve soy-based insulation.

• Like 1

There are many types of "bioplastics" * and large companies have been falling over backwards to use them to promote their "Green" credentials. Soy based bioplastic is a "protein" composition and once that protein is purified it is mixed with other chemicals eg starch (carbohydrate and plasticisers eg glycerins/ols/cellulose) to make it pliable. It's main disadvantage is that in its basic state it is hygroscopic ie it absorbs water. 

Ford used this in seat cushions and other components about 10 years ago. About 8 years ago Ford also undertook a study with Jose Cuervo to use agave off-cuts to produce bioplastics.

The partnership is looking into using leftover agave fibres in heating and air conditioning units, wiring harnesses and storage bins. Ford says that the move could reduce the weight of its cars, improving fuel economy, as well as decreasing reliance on petrochemicals.  

For those who are unaware Jose Cuervo are a major Tequila maker.

Let's hope OneCal's apocryphal Soy loving mice don't also want a quick shot as well?

https://europlas.com.vn/en-US/blog-1/how-different-types-of-bioplastics-are-produced

Edited by laimeduck

• 1 month later...

Hi All, I wanted to give you all an update on how this ended.  Initially the dealer agreed to an independent engineer giving the van the all clear at his expense.  Days later he changed his mind and after 'heated' phone call from his side offered us our deposit back which we have accepted.  We have now bought another motorhome, so it all turned out good in the end.  Thank you all for your advice.  I also contacted the CMC legal who were also super helpful and gave very similar advice as given on this forum.  Happy camping all. 🙂

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 12/02/2024 at 15:23, Mags B said:

Hi We purchased a van at the NEC last February and are arranging delivery date now.  The dealer wanted us to view the van before adding some extras on for us.  When we looked at it there was a lot of mouse droppings in the bathroom which they advised us not to worry about as there is no food in the van so they will not have stayed.  We are more worried about any damage to pipes and wires etc.  I am going to ask for a full habitation report to advise on any damage.  I am aware that most insurances policies do not cover damage from rodents.  Any advice on what we should do?

get a full inspection done by pest control