Truma Combi C603 C6002

ian81

We have this unit fitted in 2008 Burstner Aviano.

Recently in Spain we started getting the red fault light coming on. Turning it off and trying again after a few minutes generally leads to it starting and working well.

Turning on the fan runs for some 20 seconds and then a solenoid clicks. Sometimes there is just a faint smell of gas before the unit shuts down. On other (most) occasions it fires up and works ok.

Talking to a Truma dealer in Spain and some other motorhomers elicited the following:

1. Failing pcb

2. Failing spark ignitor / flame detector

3. Blocked gas lines or failing regulator. The hoses were changed 2 years ago when we installed refillable gas bottles: the regulator is a Truma duo comfort

Anybody got any useful observations or where to start? The combi is installed under the bed and there appears to be no easy way to service it without removing the bed base.

Ian

Hi

What fault code is coming up on the unit I think there may have been a recall back then within certain serial numbers , You would have to contact Truma direct as I have not got the information to hand and may not be useful to you if it does not pertain to the exact model or within serial numbers within the recall 

Regards

Edited by onecal

Thanks guys for the responses. 

I emailed arelectronics and got a swift and useful reply that pointed more to gas supply issues.

The heater doesn't display a code just a red light!

Derek I don't think my unit is included in this.

I am questioning the gas supply as the problem has only occurred in colder weather in Spain when I filled up with Spanish LPG which I believe has a higher butane content. Refilling with French LPG -higher propane- and the problem seems to have cleared.

Ideally I would like to get the combi serviced but it seems that Burstner make this very difficult to access the heater.

More anon -in the meantime thanks to all.

Ian

The Truma 'safety' recall is a digression. Combitronic heaters that were being fitted to motor homes in 2008 should all have had the revised specification (essentially a different top) and, by then, older heaters affected by the recall SHOULD all have been modified. Even if a Combitronic heater affected by the recall slipped through the net somehow, it should still start up OK - though it might go on fire afterwards.😀

I think gas supply would be my first point of call.

Whilst I don't have your system - I have the later Combi 6E, if I'm getting low on gas it will throw up all sorts of codes both relating to gas and electrical failure!

There is no consistency with these codes either - it has almost become a useful warning that I need to switch bottles. 

I would add that the hob or fridge is never affected, and would probably continue to run for some time - I guess the 6E being more hungry creates the issue.

If you'd not mentioned replacing the hoses, that might have been the cause, both the regulator and hoses are known to gunge up especially as Spanish gas is known to be 'dirty'

2 hours ago, Globebuster1 said:

I think gas supply would be my first point of call.

Whilst I don't have your system - I have the later Combi 6E, if I'm getting low on gas it will throw up all sorts of codes both relating to gas and electrical failure!

There is no consistency with these codes either - it has almost become a useful warning that I need to switch bottles. 

I would add that the hob or fridge is never affected, and would probably continue to run for some time - I guess the 6E being more hungry creates the issue.

If you'd not mentioned replacing the hoses, that might have been the cause, both the regulator and hoses are known to gunge up especially as Spanish gas is known to be 'dirty'

Thanks for this. Hob / oven / fridge not affected. Hoses / filters are three years old

Hi

When you say it does not display a code ??? It should in the form of a flash code 

So check out what your flash codes are giving you

Example:-a very common fault on the 6E unit is the combustion air fan and is given by five short flashes , two long flashes and one short flash 

Regards

5 hours ago, onecal said:

Hi

When you say it does not display a code ??? It should in the form of a flash code 

So check out what your flash codes are giving you

Example:-a very common fault on the 6E unit is the combustion air fan and is given by five short flashes , two long flashes and one short flash 

Regards

no it just a steady re light

Hi Ian ,

It should display a flash code on the board itself . You will have to remove the cover to see the flash codes on the boiler board  (Photo attached) Yes you need to re check all your gas supply as your boiler may actually not be getting a sufficient gas supply.

Regards

Boiler flash codes.jpg

onecal , I believe that may be a Truma Combi 4E/6E PCB you have shown with flash codes , as the heater/boiler that is/was faulty is a Truma Trumatic C6002 unit do they use the same board ? The Trumatic C6002 has a red and green light on its control switches to indicate a fault.

Edited by Labby
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, rayc said:

Just to recap there has been no problem with it since you changed the gas from the Spanish bottle?

...we are using refilleable bottles. Seems to be working fine since we refilled with lpg in France.

1 minute ago, Labby said:

One Cal , I believe that may be a Truma Combi 4E/6E PCB you have shown with flash codes , as the heater/boiler that is/was faulty is a Truma Trumatic C6002 unit do they use the same board ? The Trumatic C60002 has a red and green light on its control switches to indicate a fault.

I think you are correct the photo shows RJ11 jacks which our Truma doesnt have.